PDA

View Full Version : Funny Quotes

tennis aus
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Venus Williams on speculation that her father orchestrates results when she plays her sister: "It's not a true opinion at all."

Asked what she would say to President Bush about plans to scale back Title IX -- the legislation that greased the skids for a woman's ability to make millions as a professional athlete -- Capriati responded: "I have no idea what Title IX is, sorry."

"I'm not here to talk about my personal life, I'm here to talk about bras."
Anna Kournikova

After winning a marathon five-setter over Carlos Moya at the U.S. Open, Todd Martin was asked, "Where are you physically?" Martin responded: "Physically? I'm right here. Do you want to know where I am metaphysically?"

In a Wimbledon match against Sargis Sargisian, Sampras drew the ire of the Centre Court crowd when he jokingly asked the ballboy if he wanted to fetch a ball that had landed in Sampras' shorts.

Asked during the Australian Open what she knew about the host country, Venus Williams responded: "Australia was started as a penal colony in the beginning. They went on to become patriotic Australians, got their own accent, moved away from the British and here we are."

Alexandra Stevenson, after her first-round Wimbledon win over Tathiana Garbin: "Girls here are pretty strategical."

After losing to Monica Seles in the quarterfinals of the San Diego event, Capriati complained that she was affected by Seles' voluble grunting. "It wasn't so much the noise as it was the decimals," Capriati said.

Richard Williams on the pressures of being a tennis father: "I think I could really capitalize off Venus and Serena if I had more time. But I really do not because I do a lot of work for the Chinese peoples and the Japanese peoples and so on, representing them. As a matter of fact, we thinking now about buying Rockefeller Center for $39 billion so I don't have time to think about tennis no more."

Martina Hingis to Lindsay Davenport "Do you want me to serve or do you want me to break you"

PointBlank
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:29 AM
During an autograph session in Memphis a kid asked Kournikova if she liked it here and Anna said "Nashville is a beautiful city." Followed by bad noises and groans from the crowd. Memphis and Nashville dont get along.

Kenny
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Richard Williams on the pressures of being a tennis father: "I think I could really capitalize off Venus and Serena if I had more time. But I really do not because I do a lot of work for the Chinese peoples and the Japanese peoples and so on, representing them. As a matter of fact, we thinking now about buying Rockefeller Center for $39 billion so I don't have time to think about tennis no more."

he is a character boy! too funny! Richard is amazing, great quote. lmao

LeRoy.
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:38 AM
decimals for decibels ? Jenny , Jenny :haha:

Kunal
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:25 AM
$39 billion!! hahaha.

that guy is hilarious. people like him add flovor to the sport.

be urself richard.

Calimero377
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:47 AM
These are my favourite quotes:

"We've got hundreds of kids like her back home."
(Tracy Austin on young Steffi Graf, press conference Filderstadt 1982)

"It's a faster, more athletic game. She is old now. ... Her time has passed."
(Martina Hingis on Steffi Graf in the July 1998 issue of "Tennis")

Nicjac
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:25 AM
"Reading the newspapers, there's nothing I'm going to learn new about myself, because I know what I said, and you know, I don't need to read what I said, 'cause I know what I said. I like to look at the pictures."
-- 17-year-old Maria Sharapova

Hachiko
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Anna Kournikova: "We are not just tennis players, we are superstars".
(She kept a straight face too).

Nicjac
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Martina Navratilova: "I'm not promising anything. I said 2004 was my last year and I lied so I'm not saying any more about the future."

Kunal
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM
there are so many good bush quotes.....don't know where to begin.
the thought of the most powerful man talking like this makes me howl.

"And so during these holiday seasons, we thank our blessings." —George W. Bush, Fort Belvoir, Va., Dec. 10, 2004

"I cut the taxes on everybody. I didn't cut them. The Congress cut them. I asked them to cut them." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 6, 2004

"We stand for things." —George W. Bush, Davenport, Iowa, Aug. 5, 2004

"It is white." —after being asked by a child in Britain what the White House was like, July 19, 2001

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:49 AM
“When Serena was ten she was the only girl in the academy that used to play tag with a closed fist.” -Rick Macci (tennis coach)

“I’ve never played in an audience that wasn’t for me. The day will come and I’ll be prepared.” -Venus

Venus should go straight to the Hall of Fame. She’s going to be there anyway, so why waste time?” -Richard Williams

"How would she know what it’s like to be number one?" -Steffi Graf (After comments from Gabriela Sabatini who said Steffi lost the confidience of being #1)

“If I had to do it over. I wouldn’t put them in tennis.” - Richard Williams

“I’m not Venus Williams. I’m not Serena Williams. I’m feminine. I don’t want to look like they do. I’m not masculine like they are.” - Anna K (this was during her spiteful days...)

“I watched Serena and Venus play, and they’re not that good. They’ve been given more attention than me and they don’t know how to play points..." - Anna K (the things we say when we're young and don't know any better)

“I used to want to be like John McEnroe. I wanted to be like him as a person. That controversy was very exciting for me back then.” - Serena Williams (who was nicknamed ‘Serena Blackenroe Williams” as a kid)

Kunal
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:54 AM
one more..

"See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction." —Milwaukee, Wis., Oct. 3, 2003

Calimero377
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:00 AM
there are so many good bush quotes.....don't know where to begin.

Why not here:

"Our nation's founding commitment is still our deepest commitment: In our world, and here at home, we will extend the frontiers of freedom."

"The terrorists are fighting freedom with all their cunning and cruelty because freedom is their greatest fear. And they should be afraid, because freedom is on the march."

"If America shows uncertainty or weakness in this decade, the world will drift toward tragedy.
This will not happen on my watch."

"Three days after September the 11th, I stood where Americans died, in the ruins of the twin towers. Workers in hard hats were shouting to me, 'Whatever it takes.' A fellow grabbed me by the arm, and he said, 'Do not let me down.' ... I will never relent in defending America -- whatever it takes."
"The liberation of Iraq was good for the Iraqi people, good for America, and good for the world."

"Ronald Reagan won America's respect with his greatness and won its love with his goodness. He had the confidence that comes with conviction, the strength that comes with character, the grace that comes with humility and the humor that comes with wisdom."

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

TomTennis
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Asked during the Australian Open what she knew about the host country, Venus Williams responded: "Australia was started as a penal colony in the beginning. They went on to become patriotic Australians, got their own accent, moved away from the British and here we are."

So smart!!!! :hearts: :worship:

Legend!!!! :lol: :worship:

“I’m not Venus Williams. I’m not Serena Williams. I’m feminine. I don’t want to look like they do. I’m not masculine like they are.” - Anna K (this was during her spiteful days...)

F-ing bitch! :fiery: :rolleyes: Just cos she never won anything, or never beat the sisters is not there fault, they were just sooooooo much better than her. :wavey:

Venus should go straight to the Hall of Fame. She’s going to be there anyway, so why waste time?” -Richard Williams

so true, so true! :worship: :worship:

BUBI
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:35 AM
“If I had to do it over. I wouldn’t put them in tennis.” - Richard Williams

That's funny :lol:

Kunal
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:44 AM
On cable TV they have a weather channel - 24 hours of weather. We had something like that where I grew up. We called it a window.
-- Dan Spencer

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
-- Groucho Marx

When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross.
-- Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry, 1971)

I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it.
-- Clint Eastwood (from Pink Cadillac, 1989 - John Eskow)

auntie janie
Oct 27th, 2005, 01:56 PM

(Tracy Austin on young Steffi Graf, press conference Filderstadt 1982) ....

:lol: Good one

auntie janie
Oct 27th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Kournikova, after losing to Venus Williams in the 1998 Miami final:

" ... It was also very hot today. All other matches I played were later in the afternoon but I think I got a little tired physically, but it's good, it shows me that she didn't beat me, I lost. That means I'm better a little bit than her."

cindy
Oct 27th, 2005, 02:01 PM
it looks like anna is quite funny...

BUBI
Oct 27th, 2005, 02:01 PM

" ... It was also very hot today. All other matches I played were later in the afternoon but I think I got a little tired physically, but it's good, it shows me that she didn't beat me, I lost. That means I'm better a little bit than her."
Did she really say that? :haha::haha:

auntie janie
Oct 27th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Did she really say that? :haha::haha:

Yep, it was quoted all over the place at the time, and Venus was asked to respond to it, which she did pretty graciously.

tennis aus
Oct 27th, 2005, 02:14 PM
"I want to thank myself for having such a good week here." (Maggie Maleeva during a trophy presentation in Tokyo, 2004)

"I don't want to sound like I'm pontificating or anything but I think I'm really good at that - I'm the best. Besides Versace, Armani, I'm right up there." (Serena Williams on her skills as a fashion designer)

"It's amazing, but I guess that happens when you become overly famous. Every week now, I get more famous." (Serena Williams on the 'bobblehead' doll created in her image)

"I'm playing to around 30% of my potential - you'd be shocked at what I could do." (Serena Williams)

"People seem to forget that Anna (Kournikova) isn't in the picture anymore. It's Maria-time now." (Maria Sharapova)

"I'm glad you're doing this story on us and not on the WNBA. We're so much prettier than all the other women in sports."
(Martina Hingis)

rjd1111
Oct 27th, 2005, 02:17 PM

(Tracy Austin on young Steffi Graf, press conference Filderstadt 1982)

"It's a faster, more athletic game. She is old now. ... Her time has passed."
(Martina Hingis on Steffi Graf in the July 1998 issue of "Tennis")

No Brag, Just Fact.

bruingirl
Oct 27th, 2005, 03:44 PM
(1) At the press conference after Venus beat Maria at Wimbledon this year:

Q. What about taking advantage of the big groundstrokes that you hit and trying to end the points a little earlier with volleying? Today she had success coming in at times. If you were able to come in and get more easy points with the volley.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Thank you. Thanks for the coaching (laughter).

(2) Andre Agassi on the changes in his attire over the years:

'Yeah, the beginning I, you know, sort of wanted to bring something to the game that would maybe impact those that don't normally watch it, maybe to draw interest to the game, to the fans out there that might not necessarily ever have taken the time to appreciate the sport of tennis. You know, now, I'm at the stage where I've just thought to myself, "If I dress like my wife, maybe I can play like my wife" (laughter). Been working, by the way.'

RAA
Oct 27th, 2005, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=Martina Hingis to Lindsay Davenport "Do you want me to serve or do you want me to break you"[/QUOTE]

did she really say this????? in what context??

these quotes are all very funny..

Kade Kempson
Oct 27th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Yep, it was quoted all over the place at the time, and Venus was asked to respond to it, which she did pretty graciously.

What did Venus say?

Calimero377
Oct 27th, 2005, 04:55 PM
"I don't want to sound like I'm pontificating or anything but I think I'm really good at that - I'm the best. Besides Versace, Armani, I'm right up there." (Serena Williams on her skills as a fashion designer)

That was a joke from Serena! :lol:

Hopefully ....

liuxuan
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:14 PM
"I love you Spain!" - doped up whitney houston in concert in Lisbon :tape: :eek: :lol:

skanky~skanketta
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:16 PM
(2) Andre Agassi on the changes in his attire over the years:

'Yeah, the beginning I, you know, sort of wanted to bring something to the game that would maybe impact those that don't normally watch it, maybe to draw interest to the game, to the fans out there that might not necessarily ever have taken the time to appreciate the sport of tennis. You know, now, I'm at the stage where I've just thought to myself, "If I dress like my wife, maybe I can play like my wife" (laughter). Been working, by the way.'

:haha:

so true. steffi wore bags.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:17 PM
"I love you Spain!" - doped up whitney houston in concert in Lisbon :tape: :eek: :lol:aren't the portguese and spanish close friends? i'm sure spain didn't mind one bit. :tape:

bellascarlett
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:29 PM

"It's amazing, but I guess that happens when you become overly famous. Every week now, I get more famous." (Serena Williams on the 'bobblehead' doll created in her image)

"I'm playing to around 30% of my potential - you'd be shocked at what I could do." (Serena Williams)

"People seem to forget that Anna (Kournikova) isn't in the picture anymore. It's Maria-time now." (Maria Sharapova)

"I'm glad you're doing this story on us and not on the WNBA. We're so much prettier than all the other women in sports."
(Martina Hingis)

Ohmygosh so conceited aren't they?! these tennis players have so much nerve! :lol: I mean some obviously speak the truth but haven't they ever heard of humility? super funny...but I didn't know Anna K and Hingis were very much alike in their high self esteem that resulted in disrespectful insensitive behavior towards others. But Anna, without the tournament wins, should be very ashamed!

"People seem to forget that Anna (Kournikova) isn't in the picture anymore. It's Maria-time now." (Maria Sharapova) - when did maria say this? and in what context?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Interviewer: Jeff, as a veteran of the tour, do you feel it's your responsibility to sort of mentor the younger players?

Jeff Tarango: No. Absolutely not. I mean, what am I going to say? "Welcome to the tour, don't bend over for the soap?" :tape: :lol:

Lindsay Davenport after beating Kournikova at Amelia Island

Interviewer: Lindsay, Anna said she had trouble adjusting to the wind. She said that if that weren't a factor she would have won today.
Lindsay: She can say whatever she wants. The point is I'm into the next round and she's in the hotel room packing.

Lindsay Davenport discussing Serena's retirement against Ruano-Pascual at '98 Wimbledon

"I don't think she (Serena) was so hurt. I watched the match. She was getting her ass kicked. I thought she was a complete wimp about it. I played her in mixed doubles the next day and she was diving for balls, so if you have a recovery time like that, then...you do the math.

Lindsay Davenport at the '99 Wimbledon Doubles final.

Lindsay: The machine for the netcord isn't working!
Referee: I think it is.
Lindsay: How can you say that?! There's been three serves in a row where...(she walks up and smacks the netcord with her racket and it doesn't make a noise) SEE?!? It doesn't work!

Pam Shriver: (interviewing Navratilova) Martina, you've had some great memories on Louis Armstrong stadium over your career. Are there any memories on this court that are particularly painful?
Martina Navratilova: Yeah. Losing to you, bitch!

lauryn
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Oh Anna :lol:

Denise4925
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:39 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Lucy
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Interviewer: Jeff, as a veteran of the tour, do you feel it's your responsibility to sort of mentor the younger players?

Jeff Tarango: No. Absolutely not. I mean, what am I going to say? "Welcome to the tour, don't bend over for the soap?" :tape: :lol:

Interviewer: Lindsay, Anna said she had trouble adjusting to the wind. She said that if that weren't a factor she would have won today.
Lindsay: She can say whatever she wants. The point is I'm into the next round and she's in the hotel room packing.

:haha:

Kunal
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:00 PM
did novratilova really call pam shriver a bitch in front of all those people???

alfajeffster
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:59 PM
"I'm as pure as the driven slush."- Tallulah Bankhead

AsGoodAsNew
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:19 PM
"I'm as pure as the driven slush."- Tallulah Bankhead
Now all we need is a tennis player who can dish out quotes like Mae West! I wonder if Maria ever says to Andy: is that a gun in your pocket or are you just pleased to se me? Martinez to any of the new young players: come up and see me sometime.

miranda_lou
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:52 PM

I remember that quote, along with many other Anna quotes. :lol: But, you have to feel sorry for Anna. She was getting more and more desperate for a tournament win. Everybody catered to her and told her how much better she was than other players. Poor thing.:tape: She was so delusional.

"I don't want to sound like I'm pontificating or anything but I think I'm really good at that - I'm the best. Besides Versace, Armani, I'm right up there."

Yeah, Serena sells way more clothes than Versace and Armani put together.:lol: Great designer . . . really!!!:rolleyes:

Jeff Tarango: No. Absolutely not. I mean, what am I going to say? "Welcome to the tour, don't bend over for the soap?"

Jeff Tarango . . . he lied, he cheated and nobody liked him, but he was totally hilarious.:lol: A really good interview. It's unfortunate that everybody hated him so much that, after he retired, no network would hire him for commentary because the men said they would never talk to him if he became a commentator.

Dexter
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:05 PM

After losing to Monica Seles in the quarterfinals of the San Diego event, Capriati complained that she was affected by Seles' voluble grunting. "It wasn't so much the noise as it was the decimals," Capriati said.

Martina Hingis to Lindsay Davenport "Do you want me to serve or do you want me to break you"
These are hilarious :haha:

Maria Croft
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:06 PM

:lol:

gmak
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:17 PM
:lol: :lol: :worship: :worship: at lindsay's quotes about anna and serena

Denise4925
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:21 PM
:lol: :lol: :worship: :worship: at lindsay's quotes about anna and serena
Yeah, that's when Lindsay was on the Hate Williams Sisters Bandwagon. She's since come to her senses and gotten off. I doubt she would say that now. :) And, if it were brought up to her, she'd probably apologize.

Rexman
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Anastasia Myskina asked about the card game she was playing during the long rain delays at the 2003 U.S. Open

AM: It's stupid

Interviewer: What?

AM: Who lose, you call stupid.

Another Myskina one

"Generally people who don´t know me can´t believe that I am a professional tennis player. In fact, I am pleased with it, cause they more think that I am a model!"

Dexter
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:02 PM

Lindsay Davenport discussing Serena's retirement against Ruano-Pascual at '98 Wimbledon

"I don't think she (Serena) was so hurt. I watched the match. She was getting her ass kicked. I thought she was a complete wimp about it. I played her in mixed doubles the next day and she was diving for balls, so if you have a recovery time like that, then...you do the math.

Lindsay: How can you say that?! There's been three serves in a row where...(she walks up and smacks the netcord with her racket and it doesn't make a noise) SEE?!? It doesn't work!

Lindsay :bowdown:

Geisha
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:21 PM
"Reading the newspapers, there's nothing I'm going to learn new about myself, because I know what I said, and you know, I don't need to read what I said, 'cause I know what I said. I like to look at the pictures."
-- 17-year-old Maria Sharapova

Her and Capriati can shake hands.

Pheobo
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:29 PM
:lol: @ Lindsay's comments on Anna and Serena

Denise4925
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:30 PM
:lol: @ Lindsay's comments on Anna and Serena
:rolleyes:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Interviewer: Serena, it took you 34 minutes to advance against Yvette Basting today. What took longer? The match or your hair?
Serena: You want the truth? My hair (laughs).

Pheobo
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:10 PM
:rolleyes:

Obnoxious it may be to you, I'm entitled to my sense of humor thank you very much :p

Denise4925
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Obnoxious it may be to you, I'm entitled to my sense of humor thank you very much :p
You're entitled to something. :rolleyes:

Pengwin
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:13 PM
'I have absolutely nothing to say, nothing at all'

Amelie Mauresmo on Martina Hingis' return to the tour 2005 :haha:

auntie janie
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:23 PM
What did Venus say?

from ASAP Sports:

THE LIPTON CHAMPIONSHIPS - 1998
KEY BISCAYNE, FLORIDA
March 28, 1998
V. WILLIAMS/A. Kournikova 2-6, 6-4, 6-1

Q. Anna said that you didn't beat her; she lost. What would be your response to that?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think that usually when people do lose, they beat themselves generally. The story of every match when someone loses, the person makes more errors. When I lose, or when Anna lost today, made more errors than what I did. I think you have to hit some winners, but you also have to make errors to lose a match.

Denise4925
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:26 PM
from ASAP Sports:

KEY BISCAYNE, FLORIDA
March 28, 1998

Q. Anna said that you didn't beat her; she lost. What would be your response to that?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think that usually when people do lose, they beat themselves generally. The story of every match when someone loses, the person makes more errors. When I lose, or when Anna lost today, made more errors than what I did. I think you have to hit some winners, but you also have to make errors to lose a match.
Venus, always so diplomatic. :lol:

bandabou
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Wow...now I understand why Serena made it a mission to lose less often against Lindsay as possible. ;)

Denise4925
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Wow...now I understand why Serena made it a mission to lose less often against Lindsay as possible. ;)
You don't remember when the whole WTA was on the hate WS bandwagon? :lol:

Kade Kempson
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:03 AM
You don't remember when the whole WTA was on the hate WS bandwagon? :lol:

Jealousy is such a terrible thing.

But then again, at that time half the players were getting their asses kicked against the Williams Sisters- mind you, they still are. :tape:

Corswandt
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:26 AM
After winning a marathon five-setter over Carlos Moya at the U.S. Open, Todd Martin was asked, "Where are you physically?" Martin responded: "Physically? I'm right here. Do you want to know where I am metaphysically?"

This is Oscar material.

tennisboi
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:44 AM
go on lindsay 4eva

Mr_Molik
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:01 AM
AnnaK :worship: she was so much more talented and way better looking than the williams- such a waste

Mr_Molik
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:02 AM
from ASAP Sports:

KEY BISCAYNE, FLORIDA
March 28, 1998

lol at venus sucking upto anna cos annas way hotter :haha:

venus_rulez
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:25 AM
AnnaK :worship: she was so much more talented and way better looking than the williams- such a waste

So much more talented? Ummm she never beat either one of them in a match. She surely wasn't wasting her talent in 1998- 2001, when as I just pointed out she managed to beat the sisters a combined zero times. The prettier thing...well everyone's entitled to their opinion but let me give you my new motto i developed just a few days: Everyone has a right to their opinion, but some people need to be told their opinion is stupid and lacks all reason and logic and they should never ever let words come out of their mouth :)

middy
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:13 AM
When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross.
-- Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry, 1971)

:rolls: Clint :yeah:

Denise4925
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:17 AM
:haha: Yeah, that's why she got her ass kicked by them regularly.

Denise4925
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:18 AM
So much more talented? Ummm she never beat either one of them in a match. She surely wasn't wasting her talent in 1998- 2001, when as I just pointed out she managed to beat the sisters a combined zero times. The prettier thing...well everyone's entitled to their opinion but let me give you my new motto i developed just a few days: Everyone has a right to their opinion, but some people need to be told their opinion is stupid and lacks all reason and logic and they should never ever let words come out of their mouth :)
:o :worship: :worship: :lol:

switz
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Why not here:

"Our nation's founding commitment is still our deepest commitment: In our world, and here at home, we will extend the frontiers of freedom."

"The terrorists are fighting freedom with all their cunning and cruelty because freedom is their greatest fear. And they should be afraid, because freedom is on the march."

"If America shows uncertainty or weakness in this decade, the world will drift toward tragedy.
This will not happen on my watch."

"Three days after September the 11th, I stood where Americans died, in the ruins of the twin towers. Workers in hard hats were shouting to me, 'Whatever it takes.' A fellow grabbed me by the arm, and he said, 'Do not let me down.' ... I will never relent in defending America -- whatever it takes."
"The liberation of Iraq was good for the Iraqi people, good for America, and good for the world."

"Ronald Reagan won America's respect with his greatness and won its love with his goodness. He had the confidence that comes with conviction, the strength that comes with character, the grace that comes with humility and the humor that comes with wisdom."

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

there's a difference between an off the cuff quote and a speech prepared by somebody else you dipstick.

Ems__
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:59 AM

:haha: nice one venus :yeah:

dreamgoddess099
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Q. Why are you wearing two watches?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Why am I wearing two watches? I always have -- I have these rubberbands on right now. I always have two watches since like last year in Australia. I used to have a green Eggs & Ham watch, now I have a Scooby-Doo watch. I Love Scooby-Doo. I watch it all the time. :lol:

Q. You like being a journalist?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I do. Maybe one day you will see me in here asking questions for the Tennis Monthly recap.

Q. Do you talk about your writing on the tennis court? What's best question that you would ask yourself?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I haven't yet done an interview with Serena, so we will have to wait and see. :lol:

Aerien
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Non-tennis:
"Qualifications? "

"Rape, murder, arson, and rape."

"You said rape twice. "

"I like rape."
~ Blazing Saddles

Tennis:
After defeating #2 seed Venus Williams 1st round at the 2001 FO:
"She didn't play very well? Who cares? I don't!" (laughs)
- Barbara "I'm the reason for the 32 seeding system" Schett who was ranked no.22 in the world at the time

After defeating Barbara Rittner 6-0 6-4:
"Oh I only lost those games because I couldn't concentrate anymore. Playing Barbara Rittner is so boring!"
- Martina Hingis

And one of my personal favorites (along with Hingis' "What is compassion?" statement):

After beating Kim Clijsters 6-2 7-5 at Indian Wells:
Interviewer: Kim told us because she has an ear infection, she couldn't hear the ball bounce. Wouldn't that be an enormous handicap to a tennis player, not being able to hear the ball bounce?
Nathalie Dechy: Yes, and not being able to see the ball also, I guess (laughter).

By the way, here's the link to a similar thread that we've had before:
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=4531047#post4531047

Nicjac
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Something I witnessed in Zurich 2004:

Rennae Stubbs to an umpire who said a ball was in she thought was out: "You are a disgrace to womens tennis".

Paul M.
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Andre Aggassi, when asked what his 20th U.S. Open means to him:

"A lot more than number 19, not as much as number twenty-one."

Dorothy Parker, when asked to use the word "horticulture" in a sentence:

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

Frank Sinatra:

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Anastasia Myskina, during a match, to her coach on thousands of occasions:

"Fuck You."

Supersolly
Oct 28th, 2005, 04:05 PM

:worship: Love it!! Go linds!

BUBI
Oct 28th, 2005, 06:57 PM
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

You can even watch a video clip of it:

http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/XJ&sdn=politicalhumor&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesmokinggun.com%2Farchive%2F 0805042bush1.html

BUBI
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:42 PM
"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstein

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
-Groucho Marx

"If God wanted us to bend over he'd put diamonds on the floor."
-Joan Rivers :rolleyes:

Dexter
Oct 28th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Anastasia Myskina, during a match, to her coach on thousands of occasions:

"Fuck You."I love this one :lol:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Oct 28th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I want to be competing at a top 10 level and contending for Tier I's and Grand Slam titles. I won't accept anything less
-Bea Bielik:tape:

xr6turbo
Oct 29th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Bump :lol:

crazillo
Oct 29th, 2005, 04:56 PM
"I want to thank myself for having such a good week here."

Magdalena Maleeva after raching the finals in both singles and doubles at the PPO 2004 (Tier I)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Oct 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM

Pam Shriver: (interviewing Navratilova) Martina, you've had some great memories on Louis Armstrong stadium over your career. Are there any memories on this court that are particularly painful?
Martina Navratilova: Yeah. Losing to you, bitch!

:haha: :haha: Lindsay was quite bitchy when she was younger.

K-Dog
Oct 29th, 2005, 07:00 PM
:haha: :haha: Lindsay was quite bitchy when she was younger.

well now too, but not as much. that obvious fault at 4-4 in the second against Venus really set Lindsay off. gerry armstrong really got ripped a new one!!

leeber
Oct 29th, 2005, 07:05 PM
decimals for decibels ? Jenny , Jenny :haha:
hahah that was a good one :bounce: :kiss:

Danči Dementia
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Elena Dementieva:about kim Clijters:" She is too pretty for be No. 1"

Danči Dementia
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:49 PM

dinhd82
Oct 30th, 2005, 06:04 PM
After defeating Barbara Rittner 6-0 6-4:
"Oh I only lost those games because I couldn't concentrate anymore. Playing Barbara Rittner is so boring!"
- Martina Hingis

:worship: :lol: :haha:

It's true, sometimes in the earlier rounds, top players have a hard time concentrating because of pure boredom.