PDA

View Full Version : Something that's bugging me...

Kimdsay
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Hi! I'm new here (though I've been a tennis fan for, like, 15 years) - so first of all, :wavey: to everybody!

Now, there is something that's been bugging me for a while - in 2000., or 2001.
I watched a match on Eurosport, Seles vs. a girl
that left me and the commentator shocked, coz that girl was play with both hands, just forehand, switching her racquet
from left to right hand, and she only played 2 backhands in the whole match, coz she was on the net and didn't
have time to switch hands! I remember that Seles won in straight sets, and I don't know why but I think that the girl was from Russia, last name starting with "S"....

So, does anybody know what I'm talking about, anybody remember that match? Who is that girl and what ever happened with her? :confused:

jamatthews
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:40 PM
I've heard her talked about recently during a Sharapova match when Maria hit some lefty forehands, but I can't remember her name...although looking at Seles' Activity it's probably Kulikovskaya who is listed as ambidextrous.

Link (http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/player.asp?player=20006192)

Kimdsay
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Yeah, looks like it is her, definitely!

Thanks a lot! :kiss:

Shonami Slam
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:02 PM
she's well known for it - i think it's amazing.
i started playing with my left hand and i have a really nice forehand down the line with it - so i'm thinking of really playing both hands single handed shots (i.e left handed single handed backhand slice instead of a right hand single handed forehand "squash shot" that i don't do well)

Mercredi
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I think it's Koukalova or somthing like that!

SloKid
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I think it's Koukalova or somthing like that!
I can tell you it isn`t Koukalova.
It is indeed Kulikovskaya, I actually remember that match against Monika.

Kimdsay
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I can tell you it isn`t Koukalova.
It is indeed Kulikovskaya, I actually remember that match against Monika.

That's right, Kulikovskaya it is!
It was definitely one of those matches that are hard to
forget, huh? It was just wow! :D

SloKid
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Yeah, you don`t see that often. It is amazing she is able to play that way.

Jennifer North
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Yeah, you don`t see that often. It is amazing she is able to play that way.

unfortunately you won't be able to see her again, she retired from professional tennis to marry Mikhail Youzhny's brother...

Kimdsay
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Too bad she's not around anymore, it would be interesting to see
how would she handle playing vs., let's say, Kim or Lindsay and their hard & fast hitting!

Helen Lawson
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Who was the chick who sliced every shot?

Jennifer North
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:39 PM
she hardly ever cracked top 100, opponents would always try to serve to her body or bring her to the net, where her volleys were weak

Jennifer North
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:42 PM

Silvia Farina uses the slice a lot, especially from the bh side, but not on every shot... Loit also likes to use a defensive slice to counterpunch a hard hit shot

SloKid
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Tina Pisnik sliced almost everytime on her bh side, hit balls with a lot of spin on the fh, couldn`t hit a winner if her life depended on it :lol:

Kimdsay
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:59 PM
she hardly ever cracked top 100, opponents would always try to serve to her body or bring her to the net, where her volleys were weak

That's what I remember from that match vs. Seles, those 2 backhand volleys on the net... That was some funny statistic after the match, like
million forehands, and 2 backhands... :D

Thanks to all of you, yesterday I couldn't even remember her name, and now I know things like
who's she gonna marry! :worship:

Pheobo
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:32 PM

There's Rita Grande and Cara Black...

SloKid
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:44 PM
That's what I remember from that match vs. Seles, those 2 backhand volleys on the net... That was some funny statistic after the match, like
million forehands, and 2 backhands... :D

Thanks to all of you, yesterday I couldn't even remember her name, and now I know things like
who's she gonna marry! :worship:
That is what is so cool about wtaworld.com- all you need to know, want to know and so much more about tennis at a glance :lol:

charmedRic
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:50 PM
WTAworld rocks :)

Kimdsay
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:54 PM
That is what is so cool about wtaworld.com- all you need to know, want to know and so much more about tennis at a glance :lol:

:worship: :worship: :)

Mattographer
Oct 28th, 2005, 01:03 PM
unfortunately you won't be able to see her again, she retired from professional tennis to marry Mikhail Youzhny's brother...
Really? :eek: