PDA

View Full Version : Do you think China will have Russian like success in producing tennis champions?

Club_Fed
Oct 26th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I personally don't think it will happen in 2006, but it surely is possible. I just like the diveristy of personalities and characters of the Russian girls and China reminds me of the Borg from Star Trek or something. Let's go Russia! :bounce:

tenn_ace
Oct 26th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Based on their economic success and the routes of this success, it will happen.

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 26th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Russian like success is ok, but if the Chineese want to really have something to aim for they should try to have American like success- when it comes to producing champions USA is number one by a mile.

China's future is bright and they have an enourmous pool of talent to "pull" from so I think it's only a matter of time before they have a real presence in the top ranks... but it wont happen overnight, so don't expect anything too soon.

densuprun
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:56 PM
not in the next ten years

Pengwin
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Maybe not before 2008, but I don't think there's anyway to prevent it coming, Peng has already beaten Clijsters, Petrova, Dementieva, Myskina, Safina. Li Na has beaten Jankovic, Golovin, Sugiyama and had MP against Kuznetsova. Sun TT has beaten Serena and Li Ting has beaten Zvonareva.

It's all about consistancy and that's what they haven't got yet but it will come with experience and with the enormous pool of talent I'm sure there will be a Chinese GS champ in this decade.

pla
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:04 PM
If the players are able to move freely around the World, yes- without a doubt.

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Not if they all get birdflu first. :rolleyes:

Darop.
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Not if they all get birdflu first. :rolleyes:

wtf???

:haha:

jonny84
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:06 PM
If the players are able to move freely around the World, yes- without a doubt.

Agree - they miss huge chunks of the tour or are in China playing ITF events. If they could play as they wish, a few could make headway on the tour.

LeRoy.
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Wouldn't it be great if they could dominate tennis like they dominate TT and badminton ? :D

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:10 PM
wtf???

:haha:
Club_Fed made a remark about hoping Jon Wertheim got birdflu, and I thought it was in poor taste.

pla
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Wouldn't it be great if they could dominate tennis like they dominate TT and badminton ? :D

Humm :scratch: let's say it will be great they add to the multitude of top players outthere :lol: I would like to have a vierty between at least two-three countries ;)

K-Dog
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:11 PM
No, they won't be like the Russians. None of them have great serves or can really domniate opponents consistently. Not to be sterotypical, but most Asian women aren't very tall so their serves will all be affected. They are all good players and can hit hard off the ground, but their serves are all lacking.

manu32
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:12 PM
miss sun??????

jfk
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I get the sense that the Chinese players tend to be extremely consistent and steady but don't have enough weapons to be top players. That suggests that we'll see a lot of Chinese players in the top 75 in the coming years, but most won't storm the upper echelon of the ranks. Peng is the exception to this, not surprisingly since she was trained in America and has a different style of play, more like the Sharapova's of today.

Pengwin
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:14 PM
No, they won't be like the Russians. None of them have great serves or can really domniate opponents consistently. Not to be sterotypical, but most Asian women aren't very tall so their serves will all be affected. They are all good players and can hit hard off the ground, but their serves are all lacking.

The thing is, out of 1.3 billion they will have a greater number overall of women over 1.80 than any other country.

The tallest woman in the world is Chinese, and if you look at their volleyball team, basketball team etc. it doesn't seem like they had a problem in growth...

Rising Sun
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I personally don't think it will happen in 2006, but it surely is possible. I just like the diveristy of personalities and characters of the Russian girls and China reminds me of the Borg from Star Trek or something. Let's go Russia! :bounce:
What do you mean by Borg from Star Trek? :confused:

LeRoy.
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Humm :scratch: let's say it will be great they add to the multitude of top players outthere :lol: I would like to have a vierty between at least two-three countries ;)

Most chinese people i know are so down to earth and modest and sweet so i wouldn't mind seeing them dominate and if they are all as cute as Jie Zheng that would be an added bonus :hearts: :drool:

RenaSlam.
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:17 PM
What do you mean "Russian like success"?
-One fluke year of GS winners??

:rolleyes:

jfk
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:20 PM
If anything, the Chinese will emulate Russia's success. Many good players but really no one who seems close to being a legend (basically a multiple slam winner). Honestly, of the good players 16 and under, I can't think of many that are Russian. Most come from other Eastern European countries.

pcrtennis
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:24 PM
I think they will be as successful, the drive and funding is there....ti took a long time for Russian tennis to develop...Chinese tennis needs a bit more time now...but they have the athletes to do well! GO CHINA!

K-Dog
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:26 PM
The thing is, out of 1.3 billion they will have a greater number overall of women over 1.80 than any other country.

The tallest woman in the world is Chinese, and if you look at their volleyball team, basketball team etc. it doesn't seem like they had a problem in growth...

yeah, but all those girls were picked to play vb and bb. most chinese women aren't as tall as the russian players, not saying that all asian women are short though...

Pengwin
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:31 PM
yeah, but all those girls were picked to play vb and bb. most chinese women aren't as tall as the russian players, not saying that all asian women are short though...

So what if they're picked to play tennis? If they can get 30 tall girls to play world class volleyball why can't they get 30 tall girls to play world class tennis?

K-Dog
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:37 PM
So what if they're picked to play tennis? If they can get 30 tall girls to play world class volleyball why can't they get 30 tall girls to play world class tennis?

Again it isn't a big deal to me!! i was just saying that most asian women aren't that tall, but it isn't a huge deal to me anymore. If they are tall, then so be it. I don't care about this subject anymore!!

Pengwin
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Again it isn't a big deal to me!! i was just saying that most asian women aren't that tall, but it isn't a huge deal to me anymore. If they are tall, then so be it. I don't care about this subject anymore!!
I wasn't pressing you, I was just trying to understand what you were trying to say in the first place... :confused:

blumaroo
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:49 PM
With such a big population and already a couple of decent players, I can't see China not producing any champions. If anything, asians in general are very hardworking. (not to take anything away from Caucasians hehe)

charmedRic
Oct 27th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Russian like success is ok, but if the Chineese want to really have something to aim for they should try to have American like success- when it comes to producing champions USA is number one by a mile.

China's future is bright and they have an enourmous pool of talent to "pull" from so I think it's only a matter of time before they have a real presence in the top ranks... but it wont happen overnight, so don't expect anything too soon.

Ditto. :bounce:

Shooter
Oct 27th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Will China surge in tennis like Russia? Absolutely. It's already started.

Kunal
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:18 AM
i think china is heading in the right direction and its getting there fast.

I think it is a determined effort to showcase the talent and potential of Chinese athletes especially given the fact that the olympics are coming to china.

in a few years they may have the top crop of chinese players in the the top 30 or 20. we've already seen some chinese players in the top 50.

LucasArg
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:45 AM
If chinese tennis keeps growing like it did in the past 2 years, they could create top players like Russia did. Why not?

Plus there are already a few tounaments in China. That is a lot of chances to new comers.

Go China!:kiss: :wavey:

morningglory
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:04 AM
All the current Chinese players every speaks of, like Peng for example... well... to tell the truth she's relatively old for a rising star.... so China will need a fresher batch of players...
However, I think when that batch finally makes their breakthrough..... be VERY afraid... Tennis will be left to two nations; USA haven't got ANYONE to pass on the torch, and neither does Belgium. The French have some interesting prospects, but they will never have an ARMY like China and Russia

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:13 AM
i think they will have 1 or 2 standouts but the rest will be ranked outside top 30

Slumpsova
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:54 AM
mark my word. Shuai Peng will win slam someday :angel:

Zauber
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Their natural stature is a problem.
I think they will have a lot of players from 50-10
Perhaps a female one or two outstanding ones with phantastique shotmaking sometimes. A female Marcelos Rios.