PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay's GS Losses Since Last Win (AO 2000) - Consistent But Many Winnables / Chokes

pierce0415
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Lindsay's GS record since her win at the 2000 AO (beat Kournikova, Halard, Capriati and Hingis) has been admirable in that she has been consistent but it has been filled w/ so many bad performances and chokes :tape: . Discuss.

RG 00 1R Van Roost - 6-7(5) 6-4 6-3
W 00 F V Williams - 6-3 7-6(3)
US 00 F V Williams - 6-4 7-5
AO 01 SF Capriati - 6-3 6-4
W 01 SF V Williams - 6-2 6-7(1) 6-1
US 01 QF S Williams - 6-3 6-7(7) 7-5
US 02 SF S Williams - 6-3 7-5
AO 03 4R Henin - 7-5 5-7 9-7
RG 03 4R Martinez - 6-4 2-0 (ret.)
W 03 QF V Williams - 6-2 2-6 6-1
US 03 SF Clijsters - 6-2 6-3
AO 04 QF Henin - 7-5 6-3
RG 04 4R Dementieva - 6-1 6-3
W 04 SF Sharapova - 2-6 7-6(5) 6-1
US 04 SF Kuznetsova - 1-6 6-2 6-4
AO 05 F S Williams - 2-6 6-3 6-0
RG 05 QF Pierce - 6-3 6-2
W 05 F V Williams - 4-6 7-64 9-7
US 05 QF Dementieva - 6-1 3-6 7-6(6)

pierce0415
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Linds has 3 GS to her name. But she really should have like 6 :o

Andrew..
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:53 PM
It seems wrong that Lindsay only has three slams.

In my mind, these four losses are the biggest, especially the US Open 2004. That thing was hers.

Knizzle
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:56 PM

In my mind, these four losses are the biggest, especially the US Open 2004. That thing was hers.

Didn't Serena have matchpoint in the second set against Lindsay in 2001?

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:03 AM
and she usually lose to eventual winner!!!!
Its a shame! she really deserves more than 3. specially GS of 2005 and 2004.

Lindsayfan32
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Lindsay won three grand slam tiltes yes Andrew the 2004 US open was her for taking until she got injured. yes she should have could have won more but three is more than most players have got. she has got to two finals this year and was so close at Wimbledon. I have a feeling number 4 will come next year. I am going to stick my neck out and say it will happen at the Oz open. don't ask me why it just a feeling I have.

lucashg
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:12 AM

I can't comment on previous matches than these because I never watched them. IMO, Davenport should've won all these matches except RG 05 against Pierce when she was beaten by a far superior claycourt player.

W 04 - Sharapova stepped up her game, but Davenport was then so slow - I didn't see the entire match, but it was winnable.
USO 04 - she got injured and that clearly was showing, if it wasn't for that, she would've won that slam. Bad luck.
AO 05 - Choke at its best. Serena is sure a fighter, but Davenport shouldn't have lost it, she was so frustrated and mentally blocked that Serena bagelling her in the final set didn't come up as huge surprise.
W 05 - She had matchpoint and was several times in position to take the match, neither she or Venus were at their best, and fought hard - and Venus came out on top. Davenport could've won, but I won't say she should, even though she had MP and had a comfortable lead before Venus started her comeback. But definitely it was winnable.
USO 05 - Color me surprised. Didn't see the match, but people said Elena fought like crazy and was hitting winners everywhere. IMO, Davenport could've won as well, didn't she have like two matchpoints? I woudn't say this slam was winnable because IMO, Mary or Kim would take her out if Elena didn't.

Billy Moonshine
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Injuries whatever.
She didnt win those matches.
End of story.

Pheobo
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:28 AM
This topic depresses me...especially talking about US Open 2004 :sad:

lucashg
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Injuries whatever.
She didnt win those matches.
End of story.

Nobody said she did and that's the whole point of the thread by the way. Is discussing this a problem? I can't see it.

Volcana
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Lindsay's GS record since her win at the 2000 AO (beat Kournikova, Halard, Capriati and Hingis) has been admirable in that she has been consistent but it has been filled w/ so many bad performances and chokes :tape: . Discuss.I haven't seen ANY chokes. I NEVER seen Davenport suddenly lose the ability to play. Choking is pretty specific. Try Dementieva at the 2004 Roland Garros final.

The 2004 US Open semi, if her body hadn't broken, she had that thing.

martinailuv
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Linds has 3 GS to her name. But she really should have like 6 :o

i agree but she just had bad luck in some of those matches. she didn't choke. she just got outplayed.

Sam L
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Chokenport?

Jakeev
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:18 AM
For the last doggone time Lindsay did NOT CHOKE in her match againt Serena this year in Melbourne.

Two simple things happened: Serena body decided to play tennis and Lindsay's body decided it didn't want to.

That was it in a nutshell.

People really need to look up CHOKE in the dictionary and really study what that word really means.

That has got to be the most overrused, poor excuse of an argument anymore on this board.

blumaroo
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:24 AM
The US Open 2004 was really heartbreaking. WIthout injury she would have crushed Sveta and Elena D. Especialy after that hot summer streak of hers.
Aus 05 wasn't really that surprising. She was playing mediocre from the first round and when Serena lifted her game she didn't have an answer.
US 05 was really weird since she was playin relatively well and then she just folded against a player who she normally owns when she's on. She was just off that day. Not sure if she could have beaten Clijsters though.

new-york
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Chokenport?

:haha:

(btw i wanted her to take the slams where she hadn't been defeated by the sis. i really wanted her to take the us open 05.)

Williams Rulez
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I think 04 wimby was kinda sad... if not for the rain, i believe she could've won...

lindsayno1
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I think 04 wimby was kinda sad... if not for the rain, i believe she could've won...

she would of. she was faultless pretty much up until the rain break. she owned sharapova... then the rainbreak came....

BUT USO 04 was even worse. She owned it last year. stupid injury...

vwfan
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I like Lindsay and all, but she didn't choke in most of those matches, she was simply outplayed. Perhaps against Kutznetsova (sp), she had a chance to win if not injured but that was only a SF and not a final!
I'd like to see Lindsay win one more. If Venus takes Australian Open and Wimbledon this year, I'd be gracious enough to root for Davie at the Open as her swan song!

pierce0415
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Lindsay's performances at Roland Garros are pretty suspect. i.e. 1R exit vs. Van Roost was probably just because she didn't want to be in France anymore and wanted to go home. Then her sudden injuries against Martinez and Dementieva in 4R - I am sure if those same injuries happened at Wimbledon or USO, she would have found a way to deal.

Then getting slammed by Kim in USO SF :rolleyes:

tennisboi
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I don't think Lindsay has ever outright choked a slam. In the AO Final she simply ran out of steam and had nothing left rather like Andre in the US Open Final ( She played a ridiculous schedule that week with doubles as well). Lindsay was about to go 5-2 up when her back went in the 3rd set at Wimbledon and last years US Open semi was hers only for injury. She has fecked up on occasion, after the rain in the Wimby semi '04 Maria got her tactics in order and Lindsay couldn't deal with the shift in play. In '02 and '03 Lindsay was dogged with injury and hadn't got her act together-she had no coach for a while and then her brother in law. Lindsay should have more than 3 Slams but I don't think she should ever be described as a choker. If she stays fit and keeps the hunger and focus that she clearly has now I can see her collecting her fourth next year.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the info. Really, it just underscores Davenport's inability throughout her career to be mentally tough enough to win multiple-multiple grand slam titles. Its the only thing that seperates her from the greats of the sport.

Davenport is one of the best "pure" hitters on tour, cleanly striking the ball with pace and precision.

Considering her poor movement, I'd say Davenport has had a great career. Anyone that wins > 50 professional titles obviously has something good going for them.

Brooks.
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:35 PM
williams all over the place :hearts: :devil:

Brooks.
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:36 PM

serena was the one choking that 01' match...and besides she would have lost to venus in the finals anyways :)

mr_burns
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:00 PM
MAybe she turns around everything in 2006

jfk
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM
The only real choke was against Serena at this year's AO. To say that she simply ran out of steam is not accurate. Choking was definitely a big factor, when you consider WHEN her play started to drop. It was right after she was able to be a break up in the second set. That's a major moment when players realize they might just win. Lindsay's a player who lets the moment get to her at times (most of the time, it just costs her games, not matches), and this one did.

Knizzle
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:13 PM
The only real choke was against Serena at this year's AO. To say that she simply ran out of steam is not accurate. Choking was definitely a big factor, when you consider WHEN her play started to drop. It was right after she was able to be a break up in the second set. That's a major moment when players realize they might just win. Lindsay's a player who lets the moment get to her at times (most of the time, it just costs her games, not matches), and this one did.

huh?

jfk
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Wasn't she up 3-1 (or 2-1) in the second when she started to tank and Serena started playing well? Or were they still on serve?

hingis-seles
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Not exactly Lindsay's biggest fan here, but what she's already accomplished, most don't in a lifetime of trying. Kudos to her.

Just to clarify with pierce0415, Lindsay's back started acting up big-time in that loss to Dominique. She could barely move. It was such an emotional win for Dominique who had lost her mother to cancer a couple of months ago. Dominique was so overcome that she burst into tears while shaking Lindsay's hand and looked to the sky after the win.

rightous
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Not exactly Lindsay's biggest fan here, but what she's already accomplished, most don't in a lifetime of trying. Kudos to her.

Just to clarify with pierce0415, Lindsay's back started acting up big-time in that loss to Dominique. She could barely move. It was such an emotional win for Dominique who had lost her mother to cancer a couple of months ago. Dominique was so overcome that she burst into tears while shaking Lindsay's hand and looked to the sky after the win.

You got there before me:( Also Dominique beat Lindsay at her next tournament in Eastbourne and as a winning H2H over her so it was fluke.

I always though Lindsay underperformed at GS, she should have 6 at least, and yes this topic is depressing me

Brooks.
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:33 PM

how many times can people get this wrong :rolleyes: .....lindsay was never up a break in the second set...i repeat never...she had like 6 break points in one of serena's service games but serena saved them all :D ...Serena fought hard and Davenport ran out of steam...lindsay just looked like she had a bad attitude in the third set...and Serena started to play a lot better

rightous
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:35 PM
But Lindsay had 3 game points to level in the second set and after she lost them she just looked defeated. That backhand will haunt me forever.

!<blocparty>!
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:43 PM
:sobbing: Certainly a LOT of wasted opportunities there. 03/02 was really bad.

She'd been getting closer and closer up until that shocking USO performance, too. I think she needs to ditch Adam and get some fresh advice. She should have won Wimbledon this year.

Brooks.
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:56 PM
:sobbing: Certainly a LOT of wasted opportunities there. 03/02 was really bad.

She'd been getting closer and closer up until that shocking USO performance, too. I think she needs to ditch Adam and get some fresh advice. She should have won Wimbledon this year.

why do people always assume the player needs a new coach if they aren't winning everything left and right...adam got lindsay back to the top of the sport..its lindsay's own fault she hasn't won a slam recently...people talk about that wimbledon final so much like how lindsay should have won it but i honestly think venus was just the better player when it came to closing out the match..she won it...the australian open final on the other hand :tape: ...and god knows i love Serena but she was not playing really that well at all...she looked a mess...and honestly if Lindsay would have had a little bit more focus and a better attitude she would have come away the winner that day

SJW
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:58 PM

that USO 01 match. much credit to Davenport because she fought to make it that close. if it wasn't for her fight, Serena would have had it in 2. big difference to the other three, which she led in :)

Knizzle
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Wasn't she up 3-1 (or 2-1) in the second when she started to tank and Serena started playing well? Or were they still on serve?

Lindsay cracked at 6-2, 3-4 40-0. She didn't break Serena after the first set.

jfk
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:03 PM
how many times can people get this wrong :rolleyes: .....lindsay was never up a break in the second set...i repeat never...she had like 6 break points in one of serena's service games but serena saved them all :D ...Serena fought hard and Davenport ran out of steam...lindsay just looked like she had a bad attitude in the third set...and Serena started to play a lot better
Right, that's what it was. It doesn't weaken my argument though. She choked at the very moment she was about to essentially win the match (at least in her mind probably).

pierce0415
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:04 PM
At least Lindsay does not have any losses to no name journeywomen :D Everyone she has lost to is at least a slam finalist except for Van Roost

Knizzle
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Right, that's what it was. It doesn't weaken my argument though. She choked at the very moment she was about to essentially win the match (at least in her mind probably).

If you mean after 6 breaks points missed, she COULD have folded then, but Lindsay didn't she held at love in her next service game I believe and was still hitting those clean winners, but at 3-4, 40-0 she mishit a backhand wide and started to hang her head for what reason I'm not sure, but after that she fell apart and at that point Serena was dialed in so it resulted in Serena winning the last nine games.

!<blocparty>!
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:15 PM
why do people always assume the player needs a new coach if they aren't winning everything left and right...adam got lindsay back to the top of the sport..its lindsay's own fault she hasn't won a slam recently...people talk about that wimbledon final so much like how lindsay should have won it but i honestly think venus was just the better player when it came to closing out the match..she won it...the australian open final on the other hand :tape: ...and god knows i love Serena but she was not playing really that well at all...she looked a mess...and honestly if Lindsay would have had a little bit more focus and a better attitude she would have come away the winner that day

I'm not blaming Adam for Lindsay not winning a slam. I'm just saying she needs to find another coach, because her tactics are questionable sometimes and are not being put right. Lindsay played UBER passive tennis for crucial moments of her last USO and Wimbledon matches. When she served for it in the second set, you just knew she was going to get broken from the first point. She wasn't hitting bombs or those deadly 1 2 punches that she would have done in 1999. Of course you think Venus was the better player. She was on the most important points of the match, and came up with some jaw dropping shots on some of those 15-30 points, and I give her a lot of credit for that. But at the end of the day, I just feel Lindsay should have been more agressive.

jfk
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:19 PM
If you mean after 6 breaks points missed, she COULD have folded then, but Lindsay didn't she held at love in her next service game I believe and was still hitting those clean winners, but at 3-4, 40-0 she mishit a backhand wide and started to hang her head for what reason I'm not sure, but after that she fell apart and at that point Serena was dialed in so it resulted in Serena winning the last nine games.
That's true. The match was bizarre and the most likely explanation of what happened is that it was the result of several factors.....Lindsay choking, Lindsay running out of gas, Lindsay being dejected, and Serena stepping it up at the right time. For Serena to win so many games in a row without so much as an answer from Lindsay, a lot of those factors must have come into play.

GoDominique
Oct 26th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Okay let's see.

RG 00 1R Van Roost - 6-7(5) 6-4 6-3

Lindsay hurt her back in the third set, and the conditions were extremely slow. Dominique played a great match as well. Tough draw anyway.

Don't remember it well. I would say Venus was better.

US 00 F V Williams - 6-4 7-5

Definitely some kind of choke involved, as Lindsay played very well in the beginning, leading 4-1 with two breaks. Then she just fell apart and lost belief. Weak.

AO 01 SF Capriati - 6-3 6-4

Lindsay had tons of mis-hits and all in all played horribly. Good chance wasted.

W 01 SF V Williams - 6-2 6-7(1) 6-1

Lindsay fought in the second but then got broken early in the 3rd and it was over. Rather weak effort.

Great fight from Lindsay and an awesome match. AGAIN she got broken early in the third and was down 0-3 but she came back. I think she had a chance to break for 6-5 but Serena played very well there.

US 02 SF S Williams - 6-3 7-5

Lindsay just coming back from injury against Serena in top-form. Played well and had set-point in the second set. After wasting that one she fell apart.

AO 03 4R Henin - 7-5 5-7 9-7

Not a great match and a terrible choke. First Justine choked in the second set, then Lindsay was up 4-1 in the third with two breaks. Completely unnecessary loss.

RG 03 4R Martinez - 6-4 2-0 (ret.)

No idea what happened.

W 03 QF V Williams - 6-2 2-6 6-1

Don't remember it well. Weak effort in 3rd set.

US 03 SF Clijsters - 6-2 6-3

Rather bad performance. Kim clearly better.

AO 04 QF Henin - 7-5 6-3

Wasn't Lindsay up 4-0 or something? Another awful choke and tank.

RG 04 4R Dementieva - 6-1 6-3

Lindsay not fully fit and outplayed.

Total and inexcusable tank in the 3rd set.

Was more or less injured. Still 3-0 up in the third but will to fight not existent.

The less said the better. Lost a game from 40-0 in the second and then tanked like no one has tanked before.

Weak performance, no will to win.

W 05 F V Williams - 4-6 7-6(4) 9-7

Good match but not top-quality. Lindsay was up 4-2 40-15 in the 3rd, minor choke there. She had match-point later and played a bit tentatively. She didn't do much wrong though.

Bad performance from Lindsay. She still got to match-point in the tie-break but again played too tentatively.

-------------------------------------

Summary:

From W 2000 until her injury, she could not get past the Williamses. Certainly a mental issue involved there. Worst loss was probably the one against Venus at USO 2000. She showed signs of improvement against Serena at USO 2001 where she seemed to believe in herself. Too bad the injury came, would have been interesting to see what would have happened at AO 2002.

After her injury she became notorious for choking. Prime example: AO 2003 and the choke against Justine. For the rest of the year she wasn't really in contention for any title and another choke followed against Justine at AO 2004.

In the period from W 2004 until AO 2005, Lindsay was clearly playing at the highest level of all WTA players. She SHOULD have won at least one of these three GS. She didn't. And it's totally inexplicable why she wasted two of the chances with 3rd set tankings. A real mystery. USO 2004 was a bit unlucky but that makes it even more unbelievable that she played even worse in 3rd sets when perfectly healthy.

W 2005, she was very very close. She didn't play her best in the final, and she choked a bit, but overall she did well. It was not a match that she HAD to win.
USO 2005, very bad performance and a disappointing loss.

So yeah, she was a bit unlucky at Wimbledon. She might as well have won. But this happens. So you have to give yourself as many chances to win GS as possible, which means that you must always try to give your very best. And that's what Lindsay has failed to do on numerous occasions, for whatever reason.
So in a way it was not undeserved that she was denied the Wimbledon title.

tommystar
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:53 PM

Williams served for the match at 5-4 and totally feared the chance to win Wimbledon, double-faulted at least twice, a real mentally strong player would have turned that match after that.

SerenaSlam
Oct 26th, 2005, 10:17 PM
since 2000 AO Lindsay has been in for finals and lost all 4 to a williams sister :eek:

now i can honeslty say that had she played anyone else in the finals she would won them

oddkayla
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:39 AM
I tend to agree with GoDominque's post. I have the US Open Final 2000 on tape and Lindsay choked! I do not care who says what. If she would have lost that match in three sets I would say Venus stepped up her game, but the least LD should have done was win that first set with two breaks!!!!! And countless other breakpoints!

The problem with Lindsay in all of those matches is that she never wanted to fight. For her it was like ok she's now stepped up her game, i gotta get out of here!!! She is a top player for goodness sake and she should be able to buckle up and bring forth the goods!

Ambrosia
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Personally I don't think Lindsay chokes (she's never afraid to win). What usually happens in these tight matches is that Lindsay lets some of her own errors affect her on the really big points. We've all seen her get discouraged when her high risk game is off kilter. She can definitely be outplayed and/or allow her bad patch of playing get to her but I don't recall a time she choked.

daffodil
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:24 AM
2001 Australian Open: Jennifer was playing well, but I have been watching those Semifinals for the past 5 years on tape and I definitely think that Lindsay was just so frustrated with her game. If she had played well (and mentally played well too) for just one game, I think that would have given her the whole match and a meeting with Hingis in the Finals.

2003 Australian Open- Justine was "cramping" in the latter stages of the third set, and Lindsay was playing good tennis. I think she should have definintely won this battle. A couple points here and there though.

2004 French Open- Even though I never thought that Lindsay had a chance to win the French Open, she shouldn't have lost to Dementieva in the 4th Round and she shouldn't have only won 4 games in the entire match. She obviously should have pulled through.

2004 Wimbledon- Maria was playing in her first Grand Slam Semifinal, and was already down a set and a break. Even though she would go on the win the whole thing against a Serena-imposter, Davenport had her chances, even after the rain delay. Davey should have held that trophy.

2004 US Open- Kuznetsova was practically a no-namer coming into 2004 and even more-so coming into the US Open in 2004. Davenport was some-what injured in the latter stages, but playing the 12th seeded Kuznetsova in her first Slam Semifinal, you have to think that Davey should have squeaked by. Instead, she let Scuzzy Kuzzy walk all over her in the end.

2005 Australian Open- Once again, Lindsay's brain works against her. Up 6-2, 3-2, Serena is serving in a titanic game that would eventually sway the match to her side. I think Davenport had like 6 break points in that one game alone. After that point, Davenport didn't even win another game against a not-so-peak Serena.

2005 Wimbledon- Davenport had match point, playing a determind Venus. Before the match, I had predicted a 6-4, 7-5 win for Lindsay. At 6-4, 6-5 I thought my prediction was right. Actually, Venus played solid at the end of the second set, but Davenport had even more chances in the third set, including being 2 points away from the match 8 times, and had 1 match point at 4-5. She really should have won this one 6-4, 6-7, 6-4, but instead lost 4-6, 7-6, 9-7.

2005 US Open- I had predicted Lindsay to win the whole tournament after Justine, Serena, and Venus lost. She should have beaten Elena Dementieva, who has been kind of slumping this year, compared to last year. Davey had match point, or close to it, and should have walked away at least a US Open Semifinalist. The Quarterfinals felt like a distant memory for her on the hard courts of New York.