PDA

View Full Version : Venus named one of Glamour Mag "Women of the Year"

Veenut
Oct 25th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I heard this was in USA Today...Venus named one of the recepients of Glamour Magazines' "Women Of The Year".
Award presented November 2...honorees will appear in Glamour's December issue. The award celebrates "inspiring women who have made unprecedented contributions to the world".

I haven't seen or read the article myself, therefore if anyone care to varify or add to the details of this it, would be appreciated.

If this is indeed a fact, then Congratulations to Venus!!! :kiss: :hearts:

V's a star
Oct 25th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Go Vee!!!!!!!!!

nikita771
Oct 25th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I'm so proud of Miss Vee. She's so wonderful.:hearts:

Diesel
Oct 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
:bigclap:

Denise4925
Oct 25th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Vee :D :hearts:

volta
Oct 25th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Vee :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Paneru
Oct 25th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Catherine Zeta Jones
Melissa Etheridge
Anne Sweeney
Mukhtaran Mai
Petra Nemcova
Diane VonFurstenberg
Venus Williams
Christiane Amanpour
Goldie Hawn
Queen Latifah
Diane Sawyer

This is all I found
that someone posted on a blog.

PaulieM
Oct 25th, 2005, 08:52 PM
quite a few good people on that list, so go venus!! :)

Blonde_Ambition7
Oct 25th, 2005, 08:54 PM
aww how cool..congrats venus!

Paneru
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Glamour Women of the Year Awards
at Avery Fisher Hall in NYC
on November 2nd, 2005.

crazyroberto6767
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:00 PM
That's quite a list :eek: and Vee fits right in :yeah:

daffodil
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Serena was a WOMAN of the YEAR for Glamour when Christina Aguilera was on the cover in 2003. Or was it 2004?

Haute
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Petra Nemcova, is she the model who survived the tsunami by grabbing onto a palm tree despite almost every bone in her body having been broken?

Calimero377
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I heard this was in USA Today...Venus named one of the recepients of Glamour Magazines' "Women Of The Year".
Award presented November 2...honorees will appear in Glamour's December issue. The award celebrates "inspiring women who have made unprecedented contributions to the world".

"Bunte" named Steffi Graf "World Role Model of the Year" last week.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

As they do every year!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

BTW, "Bunte" is a German mag.
What is "Glamour Magazine"?
U.S.?

Denise4925
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:29 PM

As they do every year!

U.S.?
:haha: :haha: :haha: Pathetic, just pathetic. :haha:

Paneru
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Petra Nemcova, is she the model who survived the tsunami by grabbing onto a palm tree despite almost every bone in her body having been broken?
Her pelvis was broken and
she suffered some internal injuries.

BTW,
Senator Hilary Clinton will also be there presenting one of the awards to Pakistan's 33-year-old Mukhtaran Mai, the victim of a notorious gang rape three years ago, who defied threats and local customs to bring her rapists to justice and helping change laws in her country.

She's flew into NYC
this past saturday for the event.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Good on ya Venus :D Love her name on that list of exclusive women! :)

Veenut
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Catherine Zeta Jones
Melissa Etheridge
Anne Sweeney
Mukhtaran Mai
Petra Nemcova
Diane VonFurstenberg
Venus Williams
Christiane Amanpour
Goldie Hawn
Queen Latifah
Diane Sawyer

This is all I found

Thanks for for the added information and a Great group of women for Vee to be among. I guess we will know more later.

cartmancop
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Venus is amongst excellent company :)

cartmancop
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:51 PM
who are Mai, Sweeney, & Amanpour? I probably know, those names just aren't ringing a bell at the moment:lol:

CooCooCachoo
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Catherine Zeta Jones
Melissa Etheridge
Anne Sweeney
Mukhtaran Mai
Petra Nemcova
Diane VonFurstenberg
Venus Williams
Christiane Amanpour
Goldie Hawn
Queen Latifah
Diane Sawyer

This is all I found

+

The award celebrates "inspiring women who have made unprecedented contributions to the world".

Hardly adds up.

CooCooCachoo
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:53 PM
who are Mai, Sweeney, & Amanpour? I probably know, those names just aren't ringing a bell at the moment:lol:

Actually women who are more worthy of being nominated than Petra Nemcova or Venus, in my opinion. They have a bigger impact on the world.

Calimero377
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Her pelvis was broken and
she suffered some internal injuries.

BTW,
Senator Hilary Clinton will also be there presenting one of the awards to Pakistan's 33-year-old Mukhtaran Mai, the victim of a notorious gang rape three years ago, who defied threats and local customs to bring her rapists to justice and helping change laws in her country.

She's flew into NYC
this past saturday for the event.

IMO, they are mocking Mukhtaran Mai by including Venus in the award list ...

CooCooCachoo
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:56 PM
By the way, before people start thinking that I am bashing Venus, I am not saying that Venus has not made contributions to the world, but I am saying that these are in no comparison to many many other women. Diane von Furstenberg.. Venus Williams.. Petra Nemcova..

Sorry, but if they go with "The award celebrates "inspiring women who have made unprecedented contributions to the world.", then I think there are better nominees.

timafi
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:57 PM
hell before anyone says anything trashy
but why the hell would venus would be on that list?

timafi
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:58 PM
or nemcova for that matter?
u lost ur bfriend/broken bones almost died but what have u contributed to the world?
can anyone clarify this for me please?

Veenut
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:00 PM

As they do every year!

U.S.?

Good for her!!! Honestly what has she done recently to achieve this honor? Can't the Germans find another role model since Steffi now resides in the US?
BTW I have nothing against Steffi but the word "World" is a stretch don't you think. A more accurate description would be "Germany's.... as the rest of the world do have their own heroes.

Orion
I don't know, Venus has a pretty feel-good story. Not everyone can be as inspirational as Mukhtaran Mai, and Venus did do pretty well for herself. Think, her sister was murdered, her career was in the doldrums, and she resurrects it. That's the kind of thing women's magazines write about: overcoming obstacles. It's not as severe as a culture in which prosecuting rapists is frowned on, but it's still a nice story.

Brooks.
congrats vee!......what did catherine zeta jones do this year....dont get me wrong i love her...but she hasn't done really anything

CooCooCachoo
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I don't know, Venus has a pretty feel-good story. Not everyone can be as inspirational as Mukhtaran Mai, and Venus did do pretty well for herself. Think, her sister was murdered, her career was in the doldrums, and she resurrects it. That's the kind of thing women's magazines write about: overcoming obstacles. It's not as severe as a culture in which prosecuting rapists is frowned on, but it's still a nice story.

That is very true indeed, but then they are naming the people for different reasons than what they are saying. What is the unprecedented contribution to the world that Venus has made?

Orion
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Well, she had a stalker...

Orion
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM
And if that's not significant contribution, I don't know WHAT is!

Denise4925
:rolleyes: Can we ever have a thread congratulating our faves without haters coming up in here to criticize and denigrate. It's just too bad for these critics that they are not on the awards committee. They might have something better to do with their lives than post on a message board and criticize others' accomplishments.

timafi
common let's try to make sense here
what are her contributions to this planet?
everybody has a bad patch at times but i'm trying to figure out what the link is with her loosing her sisters to a bastard, and her winning Wimbly?

Calimero377
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:06 PM

"Be a IMG client and get a year's free subscription of Glamour Mag." perhaps?

timafi
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:08 PM
ok thanks i get it now

Calimero377
Good for her!!! Honestly what has she done recently to achieve this honor? Can't the Germans find another role model since Steffi now resides in the US?
BTW I have nothing against Steffi but the word "World" is a stretch don't you think. A more accurate description would be "Germany's.... as the rest of the world do have their own heroes.

And what exactly did Venus "contribute to the world", Veenutty? :rolleyes:

Denise4925
That is very true indeed, but then they are naming the people for different reasons than what they are saying. What is the unprecedented contribution to the world that Venus has made?
How about her charities? For instance, the Ronald McDonald House and all of the families those houses help to feed and clothe while their sick children are in the hospital for grave illnesses. If it weren't for these houses and the contributions by people like Venus, these people wouldn't be able to be close to their children. Also, Venus contributed inspiration, sometimes that can do more good than anything.

Maybe they have different categories for contributions to the world. Such as for Catherine Zeta-Jones, arts and entertainment and for athletes, sports.

volta
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:10 PM
How about her charities? For instance, the Ronald McDonald House and all of the families those houses help to feed and clothe while their sick children are in the hospital for grave illnesses. If it weren't for these houses and the contributions by people like Venus, these people wouldn't be able to do that. Also, Venus contributed inspiration, sometimes that can do more good than anything.

Maybe they have different categories for contributions to the world. Such as for Catherine Zeta-Jones, arts and entertainment and for athletes, sports.
and the New Orleans people that she help and is still helping with Zina

Rocketta
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:13 PM
common let's try to make sense here
what are her contributions to this planet?
everybody has a bad patch at times but i'm trying to figure out what the link is with her loosing her sisters to a bastard, and her winning Wimbly?

I'm still trying to figure out why you or coocoo or nutty cali think that you have the market on who is deserving and who isn't?

You've stated your opinion.....now here's mine...Who gives a damn if you think she's worthy or not..don't buy the magazine then, don't go to the awards, but please by all means the minute your fav gets nominated for something make sure to comment how unworthy they are...Oh wait your fav isn't getting nominated for anything.....yeah now I see your problem. :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:15 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why you or coocoo or nutty cali think that you have the market on who is deserving and who isn't?

You've stated your opinion.....now here's mine...Who gives a damn if you think she's worthy or not..don't buy the magazine then, don't go to the awards, but please by all means the minute your fav gets nominated for something make sure to comment how unworthy they are...Oh wait your fav isn't getting nominated for anything.....yeah now I see your problem. :rolleyes:
The jealousy is so astounding.

Pureracket

You've stated your opinion.....now here's mine...Who gives a damn if you think she's worthy or not..don't buy the magazine then, don't go to the awards, but please by all means the minute your fav gets nominated for something make sure to comment how unworthy they are...Oh wait your fav isn't getting nominated for anything.....yeah now I see your problem. :rolleyes:'cketta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CooCooCachoo
How about her charities? For instance, the Ronald McDonald House and all of the families those houses help to feed and clothe while their sick children are in the hospital for grave illnesses. If it weren't for these houses and the contributions by people like Venus, these people wouldn't be able to be close to their children. Also, Venus contributed inspiration, sometimes that can do more good than anything.

That is true, but I think that they are using these women because of their life stories rather than their actual contributions.

volta
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:17 PM

Preach :rocker2:

Veenut
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Sorry, but if they go with "The award celebrates "inspiring women who have made unprecedented contributions to the world.", then I think there are better nominees.

Therefore go have your own damn awards with your more deserving nominees. It is of no significance what your preferences are.

"Glamour" is presenting these awards based on their own criteria of which you have no knowledge. In their eyes, these women fulfill their prerequisites and are willing to acknowledge them for it.

Geeze what a set of "bitch and moaners" :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:18 PM
That is true, but I think that they are using these women because of their life stories rather than their actual contributions.
You can't make that judgment though because none of us know, yet, what the criteria or basis for the awards are. Let's just wait and see.

Calimero377
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:22 PM

"European Heroes of 2004"

STEFFI GRAF (Germany)

"Love All"
She gave up tennis but not the adoration of her fans. And she's still a champion to troubled kids around the world

A few sports stars win something rarer than trophies or championships - an enduring place in the public's affections. Steffi Graf is one of them. She hung up her racket five years ago after winning an amazing 22 Grand Slam titles, but that doesn't mean she is any less busy or beloved. ....

— By Ursula Sautter/Bonn. With reporting by Laura A. Locke/San Francisco
From the Oct. 11, 2004 issue of TIME magazine

TIME is an world-famous U.S. newsmagazine.

But for Venus the Glamour Mag award is not that bad. To each her own ...

Paneru
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:22 PM

I'll take it that you're not trying to be
ignorant and tell you something.

The women nominated have made contributions in different facits of
women's life wheather it be cultural, policitcal, entertainment, sports, ect...

Just because someone on the list may have had
a greater impact doesn't mean others are less
in what they've done in their fields.

Not speaking to you,
but to the other haters, especially
cali, "Like moths to the flame". :cool:

Calimero377
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Therefore go have your own damn awards with your more deserving nominees. It is of no significance what your preferences are.

"Glamour" is presenting these awards based on their own criteria of which you have no knowledge. In their eyes, these women fulfill their prerequisites and are willing to acknowledge them for it.

Why is Paris Hilton not nominated? :confused:

Paneru
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:28 PM

Precisely! :)

If people don't like it,
that's their issue.

And ofcourse you'd have them come
towards anything Venus! :lol:

They love her so much that they follow
every thread of her's as seen by their constant
appearance in Venus' thread.

Cali is a different beast because he can't except
Graf is gone. So, he brings her up in almost every
other players thread to remind people not to forget
her years gone by.

While railing against his antics,
do take some pitty on him as well. :)

Rocketta
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:31 PM
The jealousy is so astounding.

The jealousy is astronomical..:eek:

venus_rulez
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Wow congratulations to Venus on another honor recognizing her outstanding gifts and talents to help others. :worship:

Veenut
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:34 PM
And what exactly did Venus "contribute to the world", Veenutty? :rolleyes:

Get the magazine and read all about it!!! Back to the questions I asked you. Surprisingly, you don't want to discuss Steffi's awards :confused: Anyway, I would recommend Venus as a great role model because her life by far transcends tennis.

Rocketta
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:34 PM
venus_rulez, I think Venus has a lot of swatting to do in this thread. :lol:

auntie janie
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Congrats to Venus!! The more exposure she gets, the better, I say, no matter what the venue. Good for her, good for the WTA, good for the game. :kiss:

Veenut
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Why is Paris Hilton not nominated? :confused:

Obviously she didn't qualify using their criteria. You should try and get her into one of the magazines you seem to be manufacturing in Germany. I'm very suspicious of that "Time" piece of yours. ;)

Calimero377
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Obviously she didn't qualify using their criteria. You should try and get her into one of the magazines you seem to be manufacturing in Germany. I'm very suspicious of that "Time" piece of yours. ;)

http://www.time.com/time/europe/hero2004/graf.html :worship:

Call me when Venus gets honoured in a comparable way by an important European news magazine ...

Veenut
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:01 AM

Call me when Venus gets honoured in a comparable way by an important European news magazine ...

What is the great importance of a European magazine over an American one?
Venus is an American and still resides in the US, therefore it follows that she is going to be honoured in the US. This is not her first award outside of tennis you either and I doubt this will be her last. Also both she and her sister have been on the cover of Time as their cover story before.

P. S. Anyway I have to go listen to some politics now, things are getting rather interesting in that arena so :wavey:

Rocketta
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:07 AM

Eh, that's the european version of Time why wouldn't they have nominated a European? That's why they call it Time Europe. :rolleyes:

http://img.timeinc.net/time/europe/hero2004/images/time_europe_logo.gif

So why should Venus have to be recognized by a European magazine when Steffi has yet to be recognized in one that's on American shelves? :scratch:

Paneru
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Eh, that's the european version of Time why wouldn't they have nominated a European? That's why they call it Time Europe. :rolleyes:

http://img.timeinc.net/time/europe/hero2004/images/time_europe_logo.gif

So why should Venus have to be recognized by a European magazine when Steffi has yet to be recognized in one that's on American shelves? :scratch:
Silly, did you forget? :smash:

It's another Graf fan who doesn't
work well with "logic". :cool:

TomTennis
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Go Venus!!!!!!!!!!!!

Camilero - dont hate. appreciate!

Rocketta
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Silly, did you forget? :smash:

It's another Graf fan who doesn't
work well with "logic". :cool:

Opps, I forgot for a second. :banghead:

vettipooh
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Cali, there you go. Always trying to steal our joy! :lol: AIN"T HAPPENING!!! :haha: Do you get it???? Today IS NOT your day....tomorrow does not look good either. Poof!!! Be gone!!!!:wavey:

Rocketta
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Cali, there you go. Always trying to steal our joy! :lol: AIN"T HAPPENING!!! :haha: Do you get it???? Today IS NOT your day....tomorrow does not look good either. Poof!!! Be gone!!!!:wavey:

Cali -------> :bolt:

:wavey:

PaulieM
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:55 AM

As they do every year!

U.S.?
as increadibly valuable as this piece of info might be, who on earth asked you for it? :confused:

secondly not everyone can be mother teresa, and i imagine that most people on this board don't come close to contributing much more to the world than venus has. clearly venus met whatever criteria they had for the award, criteria which none of us are aware of or she wouldn't have been nominated. this would hardly be the first time that the little 1 sentence blurb describing an award doesn't fully explain the criteria for the award, it's not exactly the nobel prize anyway so just suck it up, it's really not that serious, just be happy for her.

ampers&
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:58 AM

As they do every year!

U.S.?
:spit: :rolls: :haha: :smash: http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/1263/retwavey8sa.gif http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6663/retardthumb2so.gif

Anyway...congrats to Venus. :worship:

Denise4925
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:03 AM
:spit: :rolls: :haha: :smash: http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/1263/retwavey8sa.gif http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6663/retardthumb2so.gif

Anyway...congrats to Venus. :worship:
:lol:

Orion
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:46 AM

That's a very good point. She's one of the most charitable female athletes in the nation. That on top of her personal problems and comeback merit an award, I believe.

cometz9
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Venus :bigclap:

Volcana
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Actually women who are more worthy of being nominated than Petra Nemcova or Venus, in my opinion. They have a bigger impact on the world.'Impact' is a hard thing to measure. I could never, for the life, understand why Princess Diana of Britain so fascinated people. But I have to admit she had a great impact. Just the fact that you fascinate people, and they look to you as a role model IS impact. Might other people have a greater impact? Maybe. But maybe not. People all over the world know Venus, and what her story is.

Also, the name of the magazine is 'Glamour'. If it was 'The Journal of the American Medical Association' or 'Médecins Sans Frontières', no doubt the list would be different.

dreamgoddess099
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Venus has done a lot that has impacted this world. For instance, last year she took three giant steps across the planet landed in Thailand and allowed thousands of people to climb her loooong legs for refuge from the Tsunami. Also, in England this year she slayed a screeching banshee and saved millions of people's heads from exploding from the creatures defining sound. Unfortunately the creature didn't not parish and there shall soon be millions of exploding heads in Japan soon.

Denise4925
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Venus has done a lot that has impacted this world. For instance, last year she took three giant steps across the planet landed in Thailand and allowed thousands of people to climb her loooong legs for refuge from the Tsunami. Also, in England this year she slayed a screeching banshee and saved millions of people's heads from exploding from the creatures defining sound. Unfortunately the creature didn't not parish and there shall soon be millions of exploding heads in Japan soon.
:haha: :haha:

Junex
Oct 26th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Everyone can refer to this link...
specially the RCs....

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=163783&page=1&pp=40

AkademiQ
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:02 AM
specially the RCs....

One of the funniest things is a hypocrite trying to call out others on hypocrisy :lol: Good try :yeah:

Volcana
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:05 AM
specially the RCs....

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=163783&page=1&pp=40This is the tennis equivalent of 'tilting at windmills'. How does any accolade accorded Sharapova impact Venus? What are you go to do next? Point us to a thread on how Guda cheese is made? It's just as relevant.

Venus is at the point where her history, her fame, her accomplishments, AND her charitable activities contribute to her celebrity. You can refer to lesser players from Iva Majoli to Maria Sharapova and it won't affect that. Venus has engraved her name in the sport. Live with it.

dreamgoddess099
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:22 AM
specially the RCs....

Oprah and Martha Stewart are on that same list so does that mean Maria looks as old as them? This dude is also on the list.

http://www.eurweb.com/images/articles/200505/tyler_perry(madea)-005-diarymadblackwoman-headshhot-med.jpg

Cleary that is a list you can buy your way onto.

RVD
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:27 AM
excellent!

AkademiQ
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Junex's own words in that thread he's telling RC's to refer to, I see he didn't freshen up on his own:

that is just my principle, if the thread isn't about my fave, then let the thread starter live and be happy about it.

This thread is about Venus but Junex couldn't help bringing in his fave into this thread :shrug:

The beginning of his hypocrisy begins :tape:

Its just that its so much wonderful and respectful to post nothing at all than spew shit to a thread that is suppose to celebrate a young woman's success!

What happened Juney?

Who says Maria is the only one who has receive these hating treatment? I didn't specifically, its just that this is a Maria thread and she is the center of the topic!

And here was a Venus thread and somehow Maria entered - shocking how Junex could forget his own words :o

Funny because he's not abiding by his own words. What a hypocrite but certainly not expected :lol:

Junex
Oct 26th, 2005, 08:51 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:

Junex
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Junex's own words in that thread he's telling RC's to refer to, I see he didn't freshen up on his own:

This thread is about Venus but Junex couldn't help bringing in his fave into this thread :shrug:

What happened Juney?

And here was a Venus thread and somehow Maria entered - shocking how Junex could forget his own words :o

Funny because he's not abiding by his own words. What a hypocrite but certainly not expected :lol:

:silly:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Congratulations!

Surely Venus is glamorous, elegant and intelligent, and is one of the best players; but the below post isn't at all good.
...Also, in England this year she slayed a screeching banshee and saved millions of people's heads from exploding from the creatures defining sound. Unfortunately the creature didn't not parish and there shall soon be millions of exploding heads in Japan soon.

new-york
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:46 PM
really nice, congrats Venus.

Calimero377
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Get the magazine and read all about it!!! Back to the questions I asked you. Surprisingly, you don't want to discuss Steffi's awards :confused: Anyway, I would recommend Venus as a great role model because her life by far transcends tennis.

How does her life transcend tennis?

Steffi's awards:
Let's start with the Olympic Order (presented by Juan Antonio Samaranch, then IOC president) and the Prince of Asturias Award (presented by Prince Felipe of Spain) in 1999 ... :p

Williams Rulez
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:36 PM
How does her life transcend tennis?

Steffi's awards:
Let's start with the Olympic Order (presented by Juan Antonio Samaranch, then IOC president) and the Prince of Asturias Award (presented by Prince Felipe of Spain) in 1999 ... :pjust shut up. no one needs to hear abt steffi in a thread dedicated to venus. :rolleyes: esp when its u obsessing abt her, yet again.

Calimero377
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:39 PM
just shut up. no one needs to hear abt steffi in a thread dedicated to venus. :rolleyes: esp when its u obsessing abt her, yet again.

But Veenut asked me!

In this thread it is about awards to tennis players. Why can't we discuss other players' awards then (in comparison to Venus')?

Just don't hate so much!!!!
:sad:

Bankhead Bounce
Oct 26th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Congrats to Vee but what about Rena?! :(

AkademiQ
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:50 PM
:silly:

I know, and I agree with your assessment that you are foolish and a retard :yeah:

Veenut
Oct 26th, 2005, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=Calimero377]How does her life transcend tennis?

I know you have been paying close attention, especially to the Williams sisters therefore you aleady know the answer to this question. The same things that you are boasting that Steffi did to merit her awards, Venus also accomplished and more. Due to my time constraints, I don't wish to get in the details at the moment. Anyway in case you missed it, they will be participating in one of their main CHARITY projects at the end of the season. Even though they were thoroughly trashed by some here, the beneficiaries will be greatful for their efforts and that is the most important of all.

Veenut
Oct 26th, 2005, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE]In this thread it is about awards to tennis players.

That is such a lie!!! Go read the thread title again. Just to be safe in case you miss the point again, this was about one specific tennis player and her name is Venus!!! Go make your own thread about Graf awards and vacate this thread for Venus fans.

PS You would never find me in a Graf thread because I'm not interested. :angel:

Calimero377
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=Calimero377]How does her life transcend tennis?

I know you have been paying close attention, especially to the Williams sisters therefore you aleady know the answer to this question. The same things that you are boasting that Steffi did to merit her awards, Venus also accomplished and more. Due to my time constraints, I don't wish to get in the details at the moment. Anyway in case you missed it, they will be participating in one of their main CHARITY projects at the end of the season. Even though they were thoroughly trashed by some here, the beneficiaries will be greatful for their efforts and that is the most important of all.

Ah, those 100 $ for each ace.
And the auctioning of someone else's diamond bracelet.
:worship: :worship:

Calimero377
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=Calimero377]

That is such a lie!!! Go read the thread title again. Just to be safe in case you miss the point again, this was about one specific tennis player and her name is Venus!!! Go make your own thread about Graf awards and vacate this thread for Venus fans.

But we have to put things into perspective when we talk about Venus' "contribution to the world". How better can we do this by comparing her to Graf's awards?

And don't forget - it's Willy fans who maintain that their faves had such a tremendous cultural impact in the world and things like these ....

Denise4925
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:07 PM
specially the RCs....

Why?? How is it relevant to this thread?? :confused:

Denise4925
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:10 PM

What happened Juney?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Amira again.

PaulieM
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM
But we have to put things into perspective when we talk about Venus' "contribution to the world". How better can we do this by comparing her to Graf's awards?

the way your mind works is really something.

Veenut
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=Veenut]

And don't forget - it's Willy fans who maintain that their faves had such a tremendous cultural impact in the world and things like these ....

We have absolutely no reason to make such comparison because Venus is her own unique person. She is being honoured presently and I love to live and enjoy the present. Graf now resides in the US too and obviously she was not qualified in this instance but Venus was. :D

I for one, still maintain the facts of your last statement. If you refuse to accept that, its your issue to come to terms with. When all is said and done I'm positive history will be on my side. :cool:

Veenut
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=Veenut]

Ah, those 100 $ for each ace.
And the auctioning of someone else's diamond bracelet.
:worship: :worship:

Which head do you have engaged? This is so off topic, that I wonder!!! :(

Denise4925
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=Calimero377]

Which head do you have engaged? This is so off topic, that I wonder!!! :(
Veenut, don't even engage Cali. I mean you can if you want to, but he's a troll and his whole point is to see how many people he can get off the subject of the thread and on the subject of Steffi. This is why most of us have him on ignore, because frankly who wants to be bothered reading his inane drivel.

pav
Oct 26th, 2005, 07:54 PM
http://smileys.******************/cat/11/11_13_8.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYYYNZ):tape: I think I saw Denise at a Willy Nelson concert once:eek:

Paneru
Oct 26th, 2005, 08:23 PM
the way your mind works is really something.

Unfortunately, this isn't the 1st time
Steffi's had such nut job's for fans.

Something we've learned with
the Monica incident.

It's a real shame that sych a great woman
as Steffi Graf has people like this who call
themselves fans.

i.e. Stoping or putting down in almost anyway
any other players they think pose a threat
to her legacy. :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:00 PM
http://smileys.******************/cat/11/11_13_8.gif (http://www.******************/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYYYNZ):tape: I think I saw Denise at a Willy Nelson concert once:eek:
Naww, that was your mama. You just didn't recognize her without the curlers in her hair and the beer can in her hand. :)

Infiniti2001
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Go on with your bad self Miss Vee!! Congrats :kiss:

Paneru
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:15 PM
The honorees also will appear in Dec. issue of Glamour
magazine which hits newsstands Nov. 8.

Calimero377
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Unfortunately, this isn't the 1st time
Steffi's had such nut job's for fans.

Something we've learned with
the Monica incident.

It's a real shame that sych a great woman
as Steffi Graf has people like this who call
themselves fans.

i.e. Stoping or putting down in almost anyway
any other players they think pose a threat
to her legacy. :rolleyes:

:eek: You think Screamerova and Ivanisovic are a threat to Steffi's legacy???

timafi
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:52 PM

I don't give a rat's ass about no damn magazine
don't give a hoot about no freaking awards
and who gives a damn who my fav is and why she/he isn't nomitaded and I surely don't care what U think of my opinion
the point is what has she done?
until u figure that one and think logically.....kounan get maman'w
have a good day :kiss: :kiss:

Denise4925
Oct 26th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I don't give a rat's ass about no damn magazine
and who gives a damn who my fav is and why she/he isn't nomitaded and I surely don't care what U think of my opinion
until u figure that one and think logically.....kounan get maman'w
have a good day :kiss: :kiss:
If you don't care about the magazine or the award, why do you care what she's done? And, think logically....alakazam 'w
:hatoff:

Paneru
Oct 26th, 2005, 10:39 PM
If you don't care about the magazine or the award, why do you care what she's done? And, think logically....alakazam 'w
That's what jealousy and envy
can do to people! :cool:

Rocketta
Oct 26th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Yeah, he doesn't care about the magazine or the award so that leaves Venus....envy such an ugly emotion. :o

pav
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Naww, that was your mama. You just didn't recognize her without the curlers in her hair and the beer can in her hand. :)

If You see Her again, ask Her Who the Hell is My pappy please?:confused:

Denise4925
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:45 PM
If You see Her again, ask Her Who the Hell is My pappy please?:confused:
I didn't see her, you did. :)

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 27th, 2005, 02:36 AM
By the way, before people start thinking that I am bashing Venus, I am not saying that Venus has not made contributions to the world, but I am saying that these are in no comparison to many many other women. Diane von Furstenberg.. Venus Williams.. Petra Nemcova..

Vee not only inspires, motivates, and help children believe in themselves, she's also a philanthropist and I think it's great that someone is celebrating her charitable contributions and the difference she's trying to make. Doing good for oneself and ones community is something we should all strive to do (if we're not already). I don't think it's about comparing her to others it's simply about someone recognizing the difference she's trying to make. Good for Vee and good for Glamour Magazine.

Volcana
Oct 27th, 2005, 02:48 AM
It really is too bad Venus has so thoroughly eclipsed Steffi so quickly. In the yes of the public I mean, not in slam titles. Graf had a great career, admittedly only because of Gunther Parche. I don't think she should be forgotten so quickly. Cali provides a service. Somebody has to remember Graf. If Cali wasn't on this board, Graf's career would be mentioned about as often as Iva Majoli's.

harloo
Oct 27th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Wow I see Queen Venus has pissed the haters off again. It's ok people your fave will have their time in the sun.

Congratulations Venus on recieving this honor! Keep encouraging young men and women to achieve their goals!!:worship: :worship: :worship:

Billy Moonshine
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Purlease, this list is not about inspiring women, its about women they think their readers will want to read about! In fact venus is easily the most inspiring among them, but Zeta Jones? Goldie Hawn? Sorry to say but Venus is on this list for one reason and her and Queen Latifah both know it.

Billy Moonshine
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Yeah, he doesn't care about the magazine or the award so that leaves Venus....envy such an ugly emotion. :o

Envy and hate are ugly. But also real. Deny them by all means, but everyone is affected no matter how much of a spin they wanna put on it.

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:17 AM
It really is too bad Venus has so thoroughly eclipsed Steffi so quickly. In the yes of the public I mean, not in slam titles. Graf had a great career, admittedly only because of Gunther Parche. I don't think she should be forgotten so quickly. Cali provides a service. Somebody has to remember Graf. If Cali wasn't on this board, Graf's career would be mentioned about as often as Iva Majoli's.
Please let's not get carried away!!! The day Vee passes Steffi with anything relating to tennis is the day of NEVER. Don't let silly Cali go and turn you against Steffi. In now way shape or form does Cali represent the real Steffi fans on this board or in the real world. Attack Calli all you want but leave my beloved Steffi alone. Your comment about Parche is beyond STUPID. Vee is but an ant in the world of tennis, Steffi is an elephant and her legacy lives on!!!

Now back to the topic at hand. Again Congrats to Venus. :kiss:

Billy Moonshine
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:37 AM

What r u talking about?
At age 19, stef won golden slam. Before stabbing, she had 11 slams! Venus has 5! If u want this thread to be all about venus dont make stupid comments about stef and not expect her fans to come back at ya! Steffi will always be honoured, continues to win awards and is adored all over the world. Accept it, dont belittle it and keep loving venus.

tennis aus
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:48 AM

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Calimero377
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Please let's not get carried away!!! The day Vee passes Steffi with anything relating to tennis is the day of NEVER. Don't let silly Cali go and turn you against Steffi. In now way shape or form does Cali represent the real Steffi fans on this board or in the real world. Attack Calli all you want but leave my beloved Steffi alone. Your comment about Parche is beyond STUPID. Vee is but an ant in the world of tennis, Steffi is an elephant and her legacy lives on!!!

Now back to the topic at hand. Again Congrats to Venus. :kiss:

"Silly Cali" ..... ?
"Does not represent the real Steffi fans on this board or in the real world" ............... ?

I have watched Graf live and in person when you most probably were still in kindergarten. I have taped all her most important matches on video.

And I get many goodreps from Steffi fans who appreciate and support my work. Of course I like the strong approach when it comes to discussing "greatness", "contribution to the world" etc.; I retaliate when posters think Seles or Willies invented tennis.

Somehow I'm the Donald Rumsfeld of Grafans ...... :angel:

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 27th, 2005, 10:25 AM
"Silly Cali" ..... ?
"Does not represent the real Steffi fans on this board or in the real world" ............... ?

I have watched Graf live and in person when you most probably were still in kindergarten. I have taped all her most important matches on video.

And I get many goodreps from Steffi fans who appreciate and support my work. Of course I like the strong approach when it comes to discussing "greatness", "contribution to the world" etc.; I retaliate when posters think Seles or Willies invented tennis.

Somehow I'm the Donald Rumsfeld of Grafans ...... :angel:
Out of respect for Vee and the spirit of the topic I wont make any more refrences or posts to anything unrelated to the original topic (after this post). Unfortunately I've only seen 1 Steffi match live (Steffi vs Serena Indian Wells 99,) but I'm sure my Steffi collection could rival yours anyday. As for me being in kindergarten when Steffi was in the heights of her career, I was actually a little boy 12-15 lookin up to her and thinking she was sort of super hero on those tennis courts.

You have to be refered to as silly, there's no beter way to describe you mainly for the amount of times you go overboard- time and time again. I don't think you're love for Steffi is greater than mine just because you make it your mission to bring up Steffi in every topic that has nothing to do with her. Often times, I actually agree with you and I've both given you good reps, and recieved them from you as well. With that said, the bottom line is that you're a little too fanatical for most people's taste. And you have to admit you have "troll-tendencies". What baffles me most is that Steffi's record speaks for itself. If ever there was a player in no need of defending Steffi is it! It's inacurate for you to portray yourself as purely a defender. Several times you go on the offensive and take shots at Serena for no reason then claim you were doing so to teach lessons (or whatever).

Bottom line, you don't represent Steffi's real fans. We're not nearly as annoying as you can sometimes be. ...there's hope for you though, you have great taste in tennis players ;) (in at least one)

Calimero377
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:17 AM
You have to be refered to as silly, there's no beter way to describe you mainly for the amount of times you go overboard- time and time again. ... With that said, the bottom line is that you're a little too fanatical for most people's taste. And you have to admit you have "troll-tendencies". ... Several times you go on the offensive and take shots at Serena for no reason then claim you were doing so to teach lessons (or whatever).

But taking cheap shots at Serena is so easy!
She simply is hilarious!!
Her comments on tennis and life - her outfits on- and off-court!!!
But I like her, without her today's tennis would be even more boring.

BTW, if you want to be a REAL Steffi fan you must be willing to go overboard for her sometimes. Other players' fans will see that as "a little too fanatical".
Good!!!

stenen
Oct 27th, 2005, 12:11 PM
But taking cheap shots at Serena is so easy!
She simply is hilarious!!
Her comments on tennis and life - her outfits on- and off-court!!!
But I like her, without her today's tennis would be even more boring.

BTW, if you want to be a REAL Steffi fan you must be willing to go overboard for her sometimes. Other players' fans will see that as "a little too fanatical".
Good!!!

That is your stardard as being a real fan but that's all what it is, your standard.

tennis aus
Oct 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM

You obviously got carried away yourself! Since when did a multiple GS winner like Venus Williams-- ranked at #10 on the All Time Greatest women's list become an ANT compared to your beloved elephant ?...that is even more STUPID.

Denise4925
Oct 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Purlease, this list is not about inspiring women, its about women they think their readers will want to read about! In fact venus is easily the most inspiring among them, but Zeta Jones? Goldie Hawn? Sorry to say but Venus is on this list for one reason and her and Queen Latifah both know it.
I don't know about Zeta Jones and what she contributed, but you don't give Goldie Hawn enough credit. She is a smart and savvy business woman and a great entertainer. So, I wouldn't be so quick to judge, just because all you know about her is her on-screen personna. Lastly, what other reason besides their contributions within the magazine's criteria would both Vee and Queen Latifah be chosen? If you're trying to say it's only because they are black, that's a racist statement in and of itself and I'm very offended by the suggestion.

Calimero377
Oct 27th, 2005, 04:45 PM
You obviously got carried away yourself! Since when did a multiple GS winner like Venus Williams-- ranked at #10 on the All Time Greatest women's list become an ANT compared to your beloved elephant ?...that is even more STUPID.

Lenglen, Wills, Connolly, Court, King, Evert, Navratilova, Graf, Seles, S.Williams.
That is 10.
No place for Venus, Dumbo ...

Calimero377
Oct 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I don't know about Zeta Jones and what she contributed, but you don't give Goldie Hawn enough credit. She is a smart and savvy business woman and a great entertainer. So, I wouldn't be so quick to judge, just because all you know about her is her on-screen personna. Lastly, what other reason besides their contributions within the magazine's criteria would both Vee and Queen Latifah be chosen? ...

Because they are black?

liuxuan
Oct 27th, 2005, 04:51 PM

As they do every year!

U.S.?

are you the editor? :retard:

Calimero377
Oct 27th, 2005, 04:58 PM
are you the editor? :retard:

No, because then I would have a life.

liuxuan
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:00 PM
No, because then I would have a life.

:crazy: hehe, i like it :p ........ thank god you dont take yourselfas seriously as you take steffi' s legacy.

Veenut
Oct 27th, 2005, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE]I don't give a rat's ass about no damn magazine
until u figure that one and think logically.....
Stop lieing to yourself, because you obviously care enough to be worked up about it. Let me advise you on how you can satisfy your curiousity, simple get hold of the magazine and read all about it. Wheather you agree or disagree that is your problem, go bellyaching to your friends and family but we don't give a damn.

I just hope its televised so that I can get to see my girl receiving another great award. I just love women of substance!!! :worship:

Calimero377
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=timafi]
... I just love women of substance!!! :worship:

:confused: Why then are you are fan of Venus???? :confused:

Veenut
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=Veenut]

:confused: Why then are you are fan of Venus???? :confused:

Simple, she embodies all the qualities that I admire in a woman of substance and obviously there are many who agree and she is being hounored for it. :worship:

Veenut
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:35 PM
If Venus is one of the glamourest women, what would be the worst :eek: :bolt:

YOU :eek: It's quite evident going by the self portrait in your avatar. Look no further than the mirror each day and there is your answer.!!!

Rocketta
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:37 PM
YOU :eek:

you were actually able to decipher that post? :eek:

Veenut
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:43 PM
you were actually able to decipher that post? :eek:

What you're going to do? As Vee would say "it is what it is" ;)

manu32
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:49 PM

I haven't seen or read the article myself, therefore if anyone care to varify or add to the details of this it, would be appreciated.

If this is indeed a fact, then Congratulations to Venus!!! :kiss: :hearts:

threads......

Denise4925
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:43 PM
You are wrong, I am even worst than my avatar :lol:
I guess it sucks to be you then. :tape:

Paneru
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:48 PM
All this hate by these certain types of
people means Venus must be doing
something right! :worship:

Denise4925
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:57 PM
The avatar was for Peter Jackson 's movie King Kong and had no link whit me :rolleyes:
it 's always the same, when you think that your faves are attacked, you stop to use your brain and shot :armed:
:scratch:

Volcana
Oct 28th, 2005, 12:54 AM
What r u talking about?
At age 19, stef won golden slam. Before stabbing, she had 11 slams! Venus has 5! If u want this thread to be all about venus dont make stupid comments about stef and not expect her fans to come back at ya! Steffi will always be honoured, continues to win awards and is adored all over the world. Accept it, dont belittle it and keep loving venus.MY appreciation for Cali has always been quite public. Don't you think it's long past time he was thanked, rather than vilified? And as for 'not expect her fans to come back at ya!', how much of a newbie ARE you? NOBODY posts here very long who can't take one hell of a lot of flack!

tennis aus
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:15 AM
What r u talking about?
At age 19, stef won golden slam. Before stabbing, she had 11 slams! Venus has 5! 

Do you think Venus Williams with 5 slams relied on her fans stabbing each other in the back for her to have success?

I want to see more intelligence from you, little dumb Billy Boy. :lol:

mykarma
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Because the people that matter, voted for her. ;)

mykarma
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:24 AM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: