PDA

View Full Version : A proposed change in the schedule

Volcana
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Not a huge one. I'd like to end the year with Beijing. Beijing is currently week #38 in the tour year, We'll flip Guangzhou/Seoul, currently at week #39, with Beijing. The WTA Championships would be played in what is not week #40 (1st week in October). I'd also move the Japan Open to week #39.

What happenes to the European indoor season? Move it to December and make it the beginning of the season. So the year would start around December 1st, and end around Oct 1st. This schedule doesn't match the calendar year, but many sports don't.

Why the change? It eliminates the long period between the last slam, and the YEC. This way, the whole year seems to be leading up to something. We'd have seven weeks of tournaments leading up to OZ. And only two or three weeks after the US Open til the YEC. I'd really like to see Roland Garros a couple weeks earlier, and WImbldeon a week later, but there aren't enough grass court events to make that worthwhile. As if either tournament would change their dates that much anyway.

It's just idle speculation.

TomTennis
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:38 PM
ew that sounds terrible. Have the season start on December 1st!?? no no, that does not sound rite at all.

I agree with the RG and Wimby being a bit more distant, but that would be difficult to accomplish with not many grass court tourneys.

Ok. How bout this. switch Toray Pan Pacific Open to week 1, and move everything else back one week, so the Aussie Open would start week4, not 3. That could be one solution for the OZ.

jonny84
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:03 PM
and you wont get many players wanting to play over Xmas.

Wannabeknowitall
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:13 PM
and you wont get many players wanting to play over Xmas.

A lot of these players are practicing anyway over the holidays. The season starts 6 days later for many of them. The NBA has games on Christmas. The NFL on Thanxsgiving. I don't see it being that big of a deal.

charmedRic
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:22 PM
I like those suggestions.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Or you could move tournaments like Dubai and the latin America tournaments to December and then replace those with the European events.

GoDominique
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:47 PM
No.

crazillo
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:51 PM
It's not good to move Tokyo into week 1, because it's a completely different surface.

I would change RG and Wimbledon. Say, we have Wimlbedon as the 2nd GS of the year. It would be earlier and then we could have a long clay-court season which devides those two events.

Geisha
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:52 PM
It is pretty simple. Just take out those sloppy events late in the year- Guangzhou, Seoul, India- these events should be taken out of the calendar. After the US Open, we should have like, five weeks with these tournaments:

Zurich, Moscow, Philadelphia, Beijing, Linz, Filderstadt, YEC.

fammmmedspin
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Not a huge one. I'd like to end the year with Beijing. Beijing is currently week #38 in the tour year, We'll flip Guangzhou/Seoul, currently at week #39, with Beijing. The WTA Championships would be played in what is not week #40 (1st week in October). I'd also move the Japan Open to week #39.

What happenes to the European indoor season? Move it to December and make it the beginning of the season. So the year would start around December 1st, and end around Oct 1st. This schedule doesn't match the calendar year, but many sports don't.

Why the change? It eliminates the long period between the last slam, and the YEC. This way, the whole year seems to be leading up to something. We'd have seven weeks of tournaments leading up to OZ. And only two or three weeks after the US Open til the YEC. I'd really like to see Roland Garros a couple weeks earlier, and WImbldeon a week later, but there aren't enough grass court events to make that worthwhile. As if either tournament would change their dates that much anyway.

One slight problem - the good Lord sent his only son so that there could be christmas. Who do you think won't want a christmas with their families and will want to fly back and forth to europe passing santa's sleigh in flight?

The good Lord also created winter in the northern hemisphere - who do you think is going to struggle in through the snow in the middle of their christmas shopping to watch a tennis tournament.

fammmmedspin
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:26 PM
It's not good to move Tokyo into week 1, because it's a completely different surface.

I would change RG and Wimbledon. Say, we have Wimlbedon as the 2nd GS of the year. It would be earlier and then we could have a long clay-court season which devides those two events.

Do you propose changing the tilt of the earth so that wimbledon is actually warm enough for the players not to suffer from hypothermia? Ever been to Eastbourne in June. Now take off several degrees and add more rain.

fammmmedspin
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:35 PM
It is pretty simple. Just take out those sloppy events late in the year- Guangzhou, Seoul, India- these events should be taken out of the calendar. After the US Open, we should have like, five weeks with these tournaments:

Zurich, Moscow, Philadelphia, Beijing, Linz, Filderstadt, YEC.

if we had the world economy of 30 years ago that might make sense - as it is though China india and korea have thriving expanding economies whilst Europe is stagnating and the US is in relative decline. Massive fast growing economies with populations that want entertainment and where the money is held by relatively few people are far better hunting grounds than countries who have stagnant economies, many things to sopend money on, high taxes and decreasing numbers of successful national players and falling TV ratings. Those 3 tournaments are going to be the future of the WTA when Indian Wells, Berlin and San Diego are fond memories.

Tennace
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I think they should bring Advanta back and then I dont care what happens, as long as the US Open isnt moved anywhere.

Mattographer
Oct 26th, 2005, 12:36 AM
ew that sounds terrible. Have the season start on December 1st!?? no no, that does not sound rite at all.

I agree with the RG and Wimby being a bit more distant, but that would be difficult to accomplish with not many grass court tourneys.

Ok. How bout this. switch Toray Pan Pacific Open to week 1, and move everything else back one week, so the Aussie Open would start week4, not 3. That could be one solution for the OZ.
Trust me, it's not solve the problem for AO because if AO move back few more week and the attendance will have only few as all children have to back to school! :o We have to stay the way it was and there will have plenty of full houses.

Ambrosia
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Interesting idea but does this mean that the European indoor season would be the preparatory tournaments for Melbourne? :confused:

jimbo mack
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:36 AM
the wta: needs an extra week between french and wimbledon

get rid of luxembourg and move it back down to a tier 3

with luxembourg and philadelphia off schedule that means the tour would be finished by end of oct. therefore the players get the whole of november and december off

Volcana
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:42 AM
One slight problem - the good Lord sent his only son so that there could be christmas. Who do you think won't want a christmas with their families and will want to fly back and forth to europe passing santa's sleigh in flight?Other sports play over the holidays

The good Lord also created winter in the northern hemisphere - who do you think is going to struggle in through the snow in the middle of their christmas shopping to watch a tennis tournament.People go through snow to watch tennis now. Antwerp and Paris are winter events.

jimbo mack
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Other sports play over the holidays

People go through snow to watch tennis now. Antwerp and Paris are winter events.

but like u say, ur suggestions are just idle speculations

does not mean they're realistic

marmite1
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:48 AM
It is true that most sports have play over the xmas and new year period.

Lindsayfan32
Oct 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM
That wouldn't work as Australia can't support seven weeks of lead in tournements. Its great the way it is. Just stop mid October and start the first week January is good. Dispite Lindsay good indoor form the tour could do with less weeks and who cares after the US Open.