PDA

View Full Version : WTA TOUR - no mention of Silvia's retirement!

Farina Elia Fan
Oct 24th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Why havent they???

This is a complete disrespect to a former top 11 player!!!! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :o :o :o :o :o :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

In Hasselt, all they did have give her some flowers and an empty stadium

Poor Silvia!

charmedRic
Oct 25th, 2005, 12:56 AM
That's very sad.

Pheobo
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Bastards. :(

marmite1
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:17 AM
thats a bit rude.

!<blocparty>!
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:21 AM
:sad: @ empty stadium.

Wiggly
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I understand but they can't write an huge article on every players who retire! I think they will write one but for Callens AND Silvia together about Hasselt as last tourney ;)

alwayshingis
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Well, they reference it in the frontpage article, and there will be an article once the week of this tournament is over. Don't berate them yet. The Maggie article came upon the conclusion of the week, the same will happen with Sylvia.

alwayshingis
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Yeah, I understand but they can't write an huge article on every players who retire! I think they will write one but for Callens AND Silvia together about Hasselt as last tourney ;)

Sylvia is big enough to get her own article though, and she will at the end of the week.

Callens' retirement will probably be mentioned in the Sylvia article in an "also retiring..."

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:12 AM
They will probobly put up an article tomorow morning :D

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 25th, 2005, 02:15 AM
Here is a nice Article AOL.COM posted a few hours ago..ENJOY : :cool:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Farina Elia hangs up racquet after Gaz de France loss

HASSELT, Belgium (Ticker) - This was not the way Italian Silvia Farina Elia wanted to end her career.

The sixth seed, Farina Elia was bounced by Belgian wild card Kirsten Flipkens, 6-3, 6-2, on Monday in the first round of the Gaz de France Stars tennis tournament, the final one of her career.

The 33-year-old had announced before the year that this would be her final one on the WTA Tour, and she was not slated to play any other events. She won three singles titles and achieved a career-high ranking of No. 11 in 2002.

"I have so many good memories," Farina Elia said. "I really didn't expect to be ranked this high when I started out. I have to give all the credit to my husband for his love and support, especially for the last five or six years.

"I'm proud of coming back from the injuries and proving to myself that I could do it again. I'm proud of playing the final this year in Amelia Island against Lindsay. I never thought I would reach that level again."

DevilishAttitude
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Seems so much worse than Maggie's send-off. And Els will have a bigger and better reception.

So sad that Silvia wanted to leave so quietly after all she's done :sad: :sad: :sad:

Farina Elia Fan
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Seems so much worse than Maggie's send-off. And Els will have a bigger and better reception.

So sad that Silvia wanted to leave so quietly after all she's done :sad: :sad: :sad:

Silvia is quite a timid person and this is probably how she wants it :sad:

Elldee
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:52 AM
I wish she'd recovered her form the retired or chosen a bigger tournement but it doesn't detract from her great career.

Slumpsova
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Silvia should come back and retire at Rome next year :sad:

SilviaFan
Oct 25th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Why havent they???

This is a complete disrespect to a former top 11 player!!!! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :o :o :o :o :o :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Poor Silvia!

I agree with you !!!! Its pretty sad. I was there yesterday and they only give her flowers and then she left the court. Poor Silvia. :sad: She deserves more than this.

Bubba08
Oct 25th, 2005, 12:50 PM
On an other hand there 's lot of players who retire actually
They can't make a ceremony for each of them :wavey:

Darop.
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Why havent they???

Poor Silvia!

I don't think it's because they're rude, but I don't think Silvia has yet officially yet communicated her retirement, though she has probably retired.

The official site of the Italian Tennis Federation hasn't even mentioned anything yet...

Darop.
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:18 PM
I don't think it's because they're rude, but I don't think Silvia has yet officially yet communicated her retirement, though she has probably retired.

The official site of the Italian Tennis Federation hasn't even mentioned anything yet...

never mind :p :o

Farina Elia Fan
Oct 25th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Daydo - Love the pic :)

crazillo
Oct 25th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I think Maggie got an article becasue it ended the era of herself, but more the era of all Maleevas. I remember that Schett got an article. Maybe only former top-10s get one???

And Maggie's article was on the same evening as she lost to Schnyder.

They did give her a lot of passages, but she surely deserved her own article, although I must say it should be a lot smaller.

Although I really like Callens I think that she shouldn't get one. ;)

jonny84
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:55 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4376474.stm

BBC Sport has a small article about Silvia.

Farina Elia Fan
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:04 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4376474.stm

BBC Sport has a small article about Silvia.

god I suppose its slightly better than nothing :rolleyes:

Darop.
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Daydo - Love the pic :)

Looking at it makes me sad :crying2:

Farina Elia Fan
Oct 25th, 2005, 10:22 PM

Looking at it makes me sad :crying2:

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

GoSandrine
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:33 AM
I love that pic of Silvia. :hearts: I always was partial to brunettes. :drool: I didn't care for the bangs as much but she looked good with those also.

Silvia, please rest that shoulder and come back in 2006.....PLEASE!!! :bowdown:

GoSandrine
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:36 AM
I think this was the same outfit. :hearts: :drool: :kiss:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/01/23/open15_gallery__367x550.jpg

Volcana
Oct 26th, 2005, 05:37 AM
This is a complete disrespect to a former top 11 player!!!!Given the historical significance of the 'top eleven', I agree this is an unforgivable oversight.

SilviaFan
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Please Silvia COME BACK IN 2006 !!!!

MLF
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Unfortunately that's what happens when you lose 1st round of a small event on a dreary Monday afternoon. Had Silvia survived into the week I'm sure she would have had a better send off.

DevilishAttitude
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I love that pic of Silvia. :hearts: I always was partial to brunettes. :drool: I didn't care for the bangs as much but she looked good with those also.

Silvia, please rest that shoulder and come back in 2006.....PLEASE!!! :bowdown:

GoSandrine it really is over. Silvia's not coming back :sad: :sad: :sad:

Eurosport2 also had a small piece on her talking about her retirement. Showed her at Rome this year.

Farina Elia Fan
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:01 PM
GoSandrine it really is over. Silvia's not coming back :sad: :sad: :sad:

Eurosport2 also had a small piece on her talking about her retirement. Showed her at Rome this year.

your joking!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: and I missed it :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Sam's Slave
Oct 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM
now it's on wtatour.com

http://www.wtatour.com/newsroom/stories/NewsArticle_8300_rx.asp

alwayshingis
Oct 27th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Farina Elia Retires from Professional Tennis

"I really didn't expect to be ranked this high when I started out... I have to give all the credit to my husband for his love and support, especially for the last five or six years. He's the reason I started playing better towards the end of my career. He pushed me and helped me reach that level. Without him I couldn't have done it."

HASSELT, Belgium - One of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour's most enduring veterans has called it a career, just days after Magdalena Maleeva did the same, as Silvia Farina Elia officially retired from professional tennis in Hasselt on Monday, shaking hands at the net one last time with young Belgian Kirsten Flipkens. Similar to Maleeva, Farina Elia began her career in the late 1980s and was a contender well into the new millenium, but unlike last week's retiree, the Italian did not hit her stride until almost 10 years after her professional debut, making her one of the true late bloomers in the history of the women's game.

Farina Elia was born in 1972 in the northern Italian city of Milan, as one of three children to Carlo and Alda Farina, who both worked as insurance agents. She was introduced to tennis when she was 10-years-old by her mother, a recreational player herself, and immediately began showing promise. Her evident talent for the game and hard work ethic spawned many successes in the juniors, and at 16-years-old she embarked upon what would become a successful 17-year run as a professional.

Although she clearly possessed the technical and physical prowess to succeed, Farina Elia struggled early on in her career with pressure situations in matches and arguably underachieved for her first several years on the Tour. It took three years from the time she played her first professional match in 1988 to break into the world's Top 100, and nearly seven years to crack the Top 50. Through the end of 1997 she only reached one Tour singles final, at a smaller event in San Marino in 1991.

"I think when I was young, I couldn't handle it, especially when I was playing on a big court against a strong player," Farina Elia said. "I couldn't handle the emotion and the pressure."

Never one to shrink from a challenge, Farina Elia began drawing from her experience while playing under pressure, working harder to focus and let loose on her beautiful one-handed groundstrokes when the chips were down. In 1998, all of 10 years after her debut, she began hitting her stride, reaching four finals and winning over 40 matches in one season for the first time. She would wind up in the Top 20 by the end of the season, the first Italian to grace that elite since Raffaella Reggi eight years before.

Farina Elia continued her late bloom after getting married in September 1999 to Francesco Elia, who would become her coach for the second chapter of her career. Most notable among her late achievements were capturing the Strasbourg title three consecutive times between 2001 and 2003, twice qualifying for the season-ending Tour Championships in 2001 and 2002, reaching her first Grand Slam quarterfinal at Wimbledon in 2003 (in her 40th career major), and appearing in her biggest Tour finals at Tier II events in Antwerp and Amelia Island in 2004 and 2005 respectively.

"It was my goal for many years," said Farina Elia on the Wimbledon run, which would turn out to be her lone career major quarterfinal finish. "It's like when you go for dinner but you don't eat dessert. You always feel that something is missing. So, I always believed and tried to reach this goal."

The Italian reached a career-high ranking of No.11 in May 2002 - the highest ever for an Italian woman - and although she never made it to the Top 10, she certainly enjoyed many successes against that elite group. She notched 11 victories over Top 10 players in her career, including Gabriela Sabatini, Conchita Martinez, Monica Seles, Lindsay Davenport and both Williams sisters. In fact, Farina Elia is the only player in 2005 to have taken down both Williamses, defeating Venus in Dubai and ousting Serena at Amelia Island. Needless to say, her achievements in her late 20s and early 30s far outweigh those during her first years as a professional.

"I have so many good memories," Farina Elia said. "I'm proud of playing the final this year in Amelia Island against Lindsay [Davenport]. I never thought I would reach that level again. I'm delighted with my wins over Venus and Serena this year. Also I'm proud of my win over [Monica] Seles when we played Fed Cup in my country (1999), that meant a lot to me. The highlight has to be reaching the quarterfinals of Wimbledon two years ago and playing three sets against Kim [Clijsters]."

Farina Elia had an up-and-down 2005, beginning strongly with the aforementioned run to the final at Amelia Island and reaching quarterfinals or better four other times, but she struggled during and after the summer with a nagging shoulder injury, winning just one match on the Tour since Wimbledon.

"The first half of the year was perfect, I played well and enjoyed myself," Farina Elia added. "Things changed however at Palermo, where I injured my shoulder. I was completely down at that time, I thought of finishing my career then, but at the same time I'm someone who never backs away from a challenge and made myself a promise to finish out the year."

The 33-year-old has not discussed any retirement plans, but seems excited to find out what life has in store for her next.

"I want to discover a new life away from tennis and see what it brings. It's like closing one door and opening another one. I'm looking forward to it because it's something that you have to discover. You have to start a new life and I think it's going to be a difficult moment but also exciting. I know that my tennis career is a very small moment in my life and the important thing is to be healthy and happy."

switz
Oct 27th, 2005, 03:14 AM
she deserves recognition but the lack of attention was of her own doing. Everybody knew with Maggie that it was her "farewell tour", but with Silvia we only seemed to hear about it before Hasselt - which isn't even the biggest tournament of the week.

i think it's pretty well established anyway that the wta doesn't give a shit about players that don't make them money.

Greenout
Oct 27th, 2005, 03:27 AM
she deserves recognition but the lack of attention was of her own doing. Everybody knew with Maggie that it was her "farewell tour", but with Silvia we only seemed to hear about it before Hasselt - which isn't even the biggest tournament of the week.

i think it's pretty well established anyway that the wta doesn't give a shit about players that don't make them money.

It's not only about money, the WTA loves suck-ups, and players that are totally obedient to their rules.

It's the WTA"s stupid job to report everything about the players. It's not a good excuse to say Maggie had a "farewell tour". The lame ass official WTA website is suppose to promote the entire tour, not just a few handful of players over another handful of players.

GoSandrine
Oct 27th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Nice article :)

but it would have been nice to hear about it sooner.