PDA

View Full Version : WTA Rules: YEC Alternates and Attendace Requirements for Qualifiers Who Do Not Play

pierce0415
Oct 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
ALTERNATES

After the field has been determined, the next two players who would be accepted into the Championships, based on total WTA Tour Ranking Points in that year, shall be the alternates. The Alternates are required to be in the Tournament city from Monday of the Championships week and are required to attend mandatory functions. The Alternates are required to be on-site and available to play from the start of the Tournament through to the completion of the round robin format, at which point they shall be released, if they have not been accepted into the Championships. The Alternates shall receive per diem beginning the Monday of the Championships week until she is released.

(Last year Jen and Venus were alternates. Jen was definitely in LA but not sure if Venus was :confused: )

------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUALIFIERS TOO INJURED TO PLAY

A player who qualifies for entry into the WTA Tour Championships (singles and/or doubles) must attend and compete in the WTA Tour Championships. Prior to the Championships, the Tour will alert players who qualify for entry, to mandatory activities that will take place the week of November 3rd.

Any qualified player who does not compete in the WTA Tour Championships must attend the WTA Tour Championships for a minimum of two (2) full days and participate in the Tournament on both of those days (for at least three (3) hours per day unless the player agrees to participate for a longer period of time) on a promotional basis for the benefit of the WTA Tour and/or the WTA Tour Championships. Promotional participation includes, but is not limited to, participation in media and sponsor activities, autograph sessions, photo opportunities, video news releases and charity activities.
Qualified players who do not play but attend the WTA Tour Championships on a promotional basis shall be entitled to one (1) round trip, first class ticket to the Tournament city and per diem for each day of promotional attendance and participation but shall otherwise be responsible for all costs associated with their attendance.

Qualified players who fail to attend and compete or fail to attend and promote shall be subject to a $125,000 fine for singles and a $25,000 fine for doubles. Under extraordinary circumstances, as determined by the CEO of the WTA Tour, the Tour shall have the discretion to waive or reduce these fines.

(I can imagine Justine flying into Los Angeles in order to do 2 days of promtional activities :tape: . At least she gets to fly first class)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vutt
Oct 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Seles once skipped that event in Germany. I wonder if she got fined or not?
If not then Justine can skip it safely.

pierce0415
Oct 24th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Seles probably qualified under extraordinary circumstances. Justine won't ;)

Lady
Oct 24th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Justine was fined last year already, although she was still under her virus. ;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Oct 24th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Yeah, Seles has a special waiver for tournaments in Germany.

Knizzle
Oct 24th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Seles probably qualified under extraordinary circumstances. Justine won't ;)

huh?

VeeReeDavJCap81
Oct 24th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Do the alternates get paid to stick around? Because if they don't I wouldn't stick around, that's not fair at all...they could be doing other things like resting or vacationing.