PDA

View Full Version : Even if it meant more injuries...

FaceyFacem
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
even if it meant more injuries...would you rather that there was no off season for your personal enjoyment?? the month of december is always so boring w/o any tennis events!! i wish it never stopped...

-VSR-
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Hell to the no!!!

I don't want more players injured, and also December is always so busy anyways with Christmas and school (for me), and everything. So it is nice the way it is.

venus_rulez
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
No only because I think us tennis fans are spoiled enough already in that the off season is what only like 6 weeks? That's an insanely short time.

Maria Croft
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:45 PM
OMG NO!! the season is long enough, I admit that it's boring without it, but the players need it, if it was up to me I would give them another free month to rest!

crazyroberto6767
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure the players would even play December if tournaments were available. The off season is short as it is, I don't see the need of making it shorter.

Geisha
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:46 PM
I think I would be happy with Venus playing 16 tournaments a year, with full health, than see her play a couple unimportant tournaments in the Canadian winter months.

Maria Croft
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
And besides, my nerves need a break too lol :p

manu32
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
it's a good question because schnyder,dementieva,petrova etc.....played a lot of tournaments and others played 10 or 15 and are always injured?????

FaceyFacem
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:51 PM
And besides, my nerves need a break too lol :p

ahahahha, good call...i guess if they spread out big events and had more random weeks off in the season it could potentially work too, but it's a tough trade-off...and it does make the aussie open all the more exciting after a long break

Lindsayfan32
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:59 PM
Ah no I think they should extend the off season by another month to six weeks and this is the time of year Lindsay does well in. I think it would benefit the players if they played less not more.

waratahsrock
Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
Hell no. The season is far too long as it is. From the conclusion of the US Open i generally lose interest in the tennis season. The players and fans need a decent break!

DragonFlame
Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
even if it meant more injuries...would you rather that there was no off season for your personal enjoyment?? the month of december is always so boring w/o any tennis events!! i wish it never stopped...

what do you wanna do? kill them? :tape: if they have to play all year there wouldn't be a wtatour. they would all quit instantly. it's been hard enough for them as it is. i hardly see my no1favourite player already so hopefully they will get a longer break.

DragonFlame
Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:26 PM
it's a good question because schnyder,dementieva,petrova etc.....played a lot of tournaments and others played 10 or 15 and are always injured?????

that's an easy one, the players that play 10-15 tournie's all play on quality and get farder in draws to get more points. so their tournamentweeks are much longer. someone like patty or nadia plays on quantity but will probably go out a few days earlier at the bigtournaments and get less points in a single tournament. so they scramble more. dementieva is someone inbetween, off course because she wants to play yec she plays a lot more tournie's but if she was sure of a ticket she wouldn't have played this much. it's between quantity and quality with her because she can get big points if she wants it enough.

xan
Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:28 PM
No. there has to be an off-season when the players can rest up and re-tool. And the fans can relax. Really it should be a full two months break rather than the current six weeks.

fammmmedspin
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:07 PM
that's an easy one, the players that play 10-15 tournie's all play on quality and get farder in draws to get more points. so their tournamentweeks are much longer. someone like patty or nadia plays on quantity but will probably go out a few days earlier at the bigtournaments and get less points in a single tournament. so they scramble more. dementieva is someone inbetween, off course because she wants to play yec she plays a lot more tournie's but if she was sure of a ticket she wouldn't have played this much. it's between quantity and quality with her because she can get big points if she wants it enough.

its simply not true. Schnyder has played far more matches this year than the players with limited schedules do in a fit year and if her GS performances are comparable to those top players too if you take out their one GS win. she has been going to QF, SF and finals all year.

The difference is partly luck, partly ongoing injuries, partly commitment to the game and partly that Patty's game isn't so physical it breaks her body playing it.

The point is stronger the other way around. the players with the most limited schedules are the ones who play the most extreme form of power tennis and because this can't be repeated week in week out they avoid much of the rest of the tour to concentrate on getting the bigger cheques. Other players find it difficult to match this level at GS and get their wins on the tour. Some with intelligent scheduling try both but interestingly only Kim seems able to do it - though Lindsay tries hard and Justine may have damaged herself trying.

DragonFlame
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:17 PM
Schnyder has played far more matches this year than the players with limited schedules do in a fit year and if her GS performances are comparable to those top players too if you take out their one GS win. she has been going to QF, SF and finals all year.

The difference is partly luck, partly ongoing injuries, partly commitment to the game and partly that Patty's game isn't so physical it breaks her body playing it.

The point is stronger the other way around. the players with the most limited schedules are the ones who play the most extreme form of power tennis and because this can't be repeated week in week out they avoid much of the rest of the tour to concentrate on getting the bigger cheques. Other players find it difficult to match this level at GS and get their wins on the tour. Some with intelligent scheduling try both but interestingly only Kim seems able to do it - though Lindsay tries hard and Justine may have damaged herself trying.

yeah ok, true :) but what i said is still a factor. if players go out earlier in tournaments they have more time between different tournaments, more time to prepare and to rest so the chance of them getting injured is much smaller then players that win 1 tournament and go to the next one immediatly. especially when there's a big timedifference(jetlag) the fact is, players that play matches closer in a row are more likely to get injured then players having that matches more spread around so they have more time to rest.
my point just adds up perfectly with your points, off course the things you mentioned have an immense factor on this subject.

-Sonic-
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:21 PM
wouldn't appriciate it as much if it was there all the time :)

Blonde_Ambition7
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:21 PM
no... it's boring but i can wait until january for the AO and healthy players. If no one would be injured then yes i would prefer no off season for selfish reasons.

JennyS
Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:31 PM
No way. Tennis fans don't realized how spoiled they are in terms of season length. There's tennis 7 days a week, 11 months a year. Compare that to the 5 month NFL season, 6 month MLB season, etc etc.

I actually think tennis can get pretty boring on TV. I haven't watched a match since the US Open and don't miss it at all.