PDA

View Full Version : Probably discussed already but - spelling of Douchevina/Dushevina

alwayshingis
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
So, the Linz draw and WTA website now spell her name DUSHEVINA.

Was this change made by Vera herself?

Is this a more accurate transcription of Cyrillic?

Dexter
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:24 PM
Well, Germans (and Austrians) transcrypt some Russian surnames in other way than English do...
In Cyrillic her surname is Душевина if Im not mistaken :angel: And Dushevina or Douchevina it doesn't bring particular difference for pronouncation.

Slumpsova
Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:16 PM
OMG please WTA don't change it. i love Douchevina more :(

Joana
Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:19 PM
I think for English speakers Dushevina would be more accurate transcription of her name. Douchevina sounds like a French transcription to me.

Lady
Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:19 PM
Yes, Dushevina is much closer to original Душевина

gmak
Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:29 PM
well the wta rankings have her as dushevina now :confused:

Bероника
Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:43 PM
I like the french transcription better ;)

vogus
Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:46 PM
So, the Linz draw and WTA website now spell her name DUSHEVINA.

Was this change made by Vera herself?

Is this a more accurate transcription of Cyrillic?

it's less accurate, because now a lot of people are going to pronounce her name Duh-shevina instead of Doo-shevina, which was correct. It was the same reason Kournikova added the first "o" to "Kurnikova".

kabuki
Oct 24th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Anytime you can get the word douche out of your name, it's a good thing.

hablo
Oct 24th, 2005, 04:44 AM
I like the french transcription better ;)
ditto :lol:

drake3781
Oct 24th, 2005, 05:52 AM
it's less accurate, because now a lot of people are going to pronounce her name Duh-shevina instead of Doo-shevina, which was correct. It was the same reason Kournikova added the first "o" to "Kurnikova".

OK, but the "sh" is better than the "ch" if it is softly pronounced? So then maybe Doushevina would be best.

Majeka
Oct 24th, 2005, 08:24 AM
She wouldn't change her name to Dushevina. Douchevina looks a lot better and both names are pronounced the same way anyway so what's that good for?

Vass22
Oct 24th, 2005, 09:53 AM
She probably renewed her passport and the Russian officials changed the spelling. I've had that done to my name, once.
Before they used to translate Russian names acoording to FRENCH rules.
Now, it is to ENGLISH.

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 24th, 2005, 09:56 AM
LOL when I first saw it, I thought it was a major typo, the same way I thought Bremond was a typo lol.

meyerpl
Oct 24th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Vera Douchevina walks into a bar. The bartender asks, "What'll ya have?" Vera says, "Gimmee the usual; vinegar & water!"

Pengttaya
Oct 24th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Maybe she was been bullied about having the word douche in her name :tape:

kabuki
Oct 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Maybe she was been bullied about having the word douche in her name :tape:

But you would imagine she would have been a shoo in for a sponsorship by Massengill.

Pengttaya
Oct 24th, 2005, 10:03 PM
But you would imagine she would have been a shoo in for a sponsorship by Massengill.
:tape:

meyerpl
Oct 24th, 2005, 10:06 PM
There must be another Renee' Richards joke here somewhere.