PDA

View Full Version : My FRIDAY Pre-Fed Cup Report

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 27th, 2002, 02:32 AM
Okay, so before coming to Charlotte, NC, I was very nervous about what to do and all because I have never attended a live tennis event.

So, I go to the Olde Providence Racquet Club (where the tie is being played) to pick up my media pass, and the guy who is like the "guard" for the club tells me since I am not a member, that I have to park on the grass.

Anyways, I park my car and walk to the Press Credentials area to pick up my press pass. The machine is having trouble printing out pictures, so I was thinking I was not going to get my pass. Anyways, the volunteers call a USTA official to come in there and help. I ask them if they have seen any players and they are like, "Monica Seles was just out there practicing" and I was like, "OMG, Monica was just at the same place I was."

So, I finally get my credentials and I go to the media center and pick up TONS of paper work information about everything. It is pretty cool, but most of the stuff I already knew about the players.

I saw the interview area and it is so intimate.......I love it!

The draw was made and here is the draw:

Saturday start at 1 pm
Monica Seles vs. Barbara Schwartz
followed by
Jennifer Capriati vs. Evelyn Fauth

Sunday start at 1 pm
Jennifer Capriati vs. Barbara Schwartz
followed by
Monica Seles vs. Evelyn Fauth
followed by
Lisa Raymond/Meghann Shaughnessy vs. Barbara Schwartz/Marion Maruska

Okay, so the I go and check into the offical hotel - The Ballantyne Resort and Spa. It is a very esquisite and nice hotel and it is totally out of my element.

Anyways, my friend and I wander around the hotel just looking around.

I mosey my way back to the elevator and Lisa Raymond was using a courtesy phone at the elevator. I pull my friend aside and said, "OH MY GOD, THERE IS LISA RAYMOND." My friend, who knows just a little about tennis said, "Is she a player?" and I'm like, "YES SHE IS! OH MY GOD." So, I walk to the elevator to try to wait for the next elevator, in the mean time, I am standing like 3 feet away from Lisa with her little labrador puppy in her purse.

The other elevator doors open and she looks at it and says, "SAL.....HOW ARE YOU!?!?!?" I was wondering to myself....who is Sal? Is it JC's nickname.........cause it sounded Italian. Well, out comes Mike Sell, Monica's coach. I am having a panic attack because I have seen these people on tv and never in person. I'm too nervous to ask for autographs, so I just stood there and gauked.

Mike Sell was SO CUTE and he was with a very cute male companion as well........so that makes me wonder.

Anyways, the rest of the day today my friends had to put up with me saying, "I SAW LISA RAYMOND, I SAW LISA RAYMOND!"

Anyways, that is my pre-report..........I am very pumped up. I will be going early to watch practice sessions and prep as a "Media Official" ;)

This is so cool! I'm so happy I can share this with people that care! :D

Joshua

Tratree
Apr 27th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Joshie saw "Lawsuit Lisa" :)

See, I told you they would be helpful and not cut you up and eat you at the media office ;)

Have a bunch of fun tomorrow and you can call me with updates tomorrow and I'll post them.

Justin
Apr 27th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Great report. Thanks.

The man with Sell, what did he look like? Was he Monica's HOT on-again/off-again hitting partner Zoltan Kraszani?

MonikaVeronikaElectronika
Apr 27th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Yay for Joshie! :) Honestly I am so happy for you Josh! It's about fucking time :) Say hi to Monika for me and just have TONS O FUN! Call me from the tourney hehe

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 27th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Hey guys! I'm about to head out there right now.

I just found out about JC :eek:

I will do some nosing around.........I'm sure at the press conferences Monica will get bombarded with questions about it.

BJK will also be interviewed - the team captains are interviewed after the last match - so I'll pay close attention and let everybody know what I found out.

I'll call ya Traci and Alex! :)

mboyle
Apr 27th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Why is Billie Jean King so stupid???????????? Did she have to knock Capriati off the team?????????? Capriati hadn't even attended the extra practice session yet but was still booted off! Just for arguing! Gosh billie jean get a real life. Now Jenny will probably not be too inclined to play fed cup for us again. I HATE BILLIE JEAN KING!:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

wongqks
Apr 27th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Sounds like you are having a lot of fun Josh, hope the rest of your weekend goes well.