PDA

View Full Version : No Mixed Dancing, No Gays In Gaza If Hamas Has Its Way

SelesFan70
Oct 7th, 2005, 02:20 PM
No dancing and no gays if Hamas gets its way
By Stephen Farrell

A VISION of an Islamic society that bans mixed dancing and sternly disapproves of homosexuality has been given by Mahmoud Zahar, the most senior leader of Hamas in Gaza.
After controversies when a Hamas-led council halted a dance festival and Islamist gunmen stopped a rap band performing in Gaza, Dr Zahar defended the enforcement of a strict interpretation of Islam.

“A man holds a woman by the hand and dances with her in front of everyone. Does that serve the national interest?” Dr Zahar said on the Arabic website Elaph. “If so, why have the phenomena of corruption and prostitution become pervasive in recent years?”

Because of successes by Hamas in municipal polls and its likely strong showing in January’s parliamentary elections, secular Palestinians fear that it will try to impose its ultraconservative vision on them. Its Gaza heartland has no cinemas or bars, yet the West Bank has a brewery and Ramallah restaurants serve wine.

Dr Zahar condemned homosexual marriage, saying: “Are these the laws for which the Palestinian street is waiting? For us to give rights to homosexuals and to lesbians, a minority of perverts and the mentally and morally sick?”

He denied that Hamas wanted a puritancial regime, and said its political and social institutions included women.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,251-1814968,00.html

:rolleyes: It's amazing that the major religions of the world can't get along...really...they want the same things.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM
:rolleyes: It's amazing that the major religions of the world can't get along...really...they want the same things.

They do get along more or less in the West. Pity they can't just wipe each other out and leave us secular people alone.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:41 PM
One word...BACKWARDS.

BigB08822
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Oh God! It will be like an all white, middle aged high school reunion!

A bunch of people sitting around with no rhythm and no fashion sense! EEK!

tennisbum79
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Some christian fundamentlist positions are not that far apart from Hamas on this one.

I believe Bob Jones University had similar rules, with NO interracial dating to put icing on the cake. BTW, Bush spoke at this University during the 2000 compaign, and said nothing about these restrictions.

SelesFan70
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Some christian fundamentlist position is not that far apart from Hamas on this one.

I beleive Bob Jones University had similar rules, with NO interracial dating to put icing on the cake. BTW, Bush spoke at this Unoversity during 2000 compaign, and said nothing about these restrictions.

My parents' Pentecostal church is very similar to the Hama way of thinking. :scared: No dancing, no tv, no pants for the women, men must have short hair, etc, etc... :tape:

Natarajasana
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM
My parents' Pentecostal church is very similar to the Hama way of thinking. :scared: No dancing, no tv, no pants for the women, men must have short hair, etc, etc... :tape:
Really? Gee.....the gay-friendly church I go to has the exact opposite rules:
Excessive dancing, no pants for the men & the women must have short hair. :p

Andy_
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:34 PM
:scratch: By banning mixed dancing are they approving of same-sex dancing, instead? ;) Now that could open the way for some serious gay mating...

SelesFan70
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Really? Gee.....the gay-friendly church I go to has the exact opposite rules:
Excessive dancing, no pants for the men & the women must have short hair. :p

:lol: And the men's restroom has holes in the stall walls, too, right? :devil:

Joana
Oct 7th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Two men dancing together is kind of gay.