PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver is 'best place to live'

Mattographer
Oct 4th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Vancouver is 'best place to live'

Vancouver is the world's best place to live, a survey by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has found.

The EIU ranked 127 cities in terms of personal risk, infrastructure and the availability of goods and services.

Most of the cities that fell into the top "liveability" bracket were based in Western Europe and North America.

The worst places were Algiers in Algeria, and Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea because "many aspects of daily life present challenges", the EIU said.

Safe havens?

Canadian cities scored well, as did Austria's Vienna and Switzerland's Geneva, because they are not seen as targets for terror attacks.

The main uncertainty for people living in the those cities are climate-related, the EIU said.

"In the current global political climate, it is no surprise that the most desirable destinations are those with the lower perceived threat of terrorism," said Jon Copestake, editor of the EIU report.

The survey has produced a mixed picture of the world's cities. London was ranked in the 10th group, on a par with Dublin and Los Angeles, but one place below Manchester, four behind Berlin, five lower than Tokyo, and six off Helsinki, Frankfurt and Stockholm.

In Latin America, "no city manages to present ideal living conditions, neither do any fall into the category where extreme difficulties are faced", the EIU said.

Montevideo in Uruguay, Santiago in Chile and Buenos Aires in Argentina offer the region's best conditions. Bogota in Columbia and Caracas in Venezuela score the least favourably.

In Asia, cities in Japan, South Korea, Singapore, China and Taiwan all score well, as do Australia's main hubs.

Africa and the Middle East fare less well, with the EIU citing concerns about terror attacks, and economic and political instability.

Some of the worst performing cities include Harare in Zimbabwe and Lagos in Nigeria.

Top group
Vancouver
Melbourne
Vienna
Geneva
Perth
Adelaide
Sydney
Zurich
Toronto
Calgary

Bottom 10 cities
Tehran
Douala
Harare
Abidjan
Phnom Penh
Lagos
Karachi
Dhaka
Algiers
Port Moresby

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4306936.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4306936.stm)

@m@nd@
Oct 4th, 2005, 05:33 AM
i live in vancouver..but i dont love it that much

vancouverite
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:53 AM
i live in vancouver..but i dont love it that much

Maybe it depends where in Vancouver you live? Or if you're not a big fan of rain? It can't compete with New York, or London, or Paris for culture or clubbing. But the setting, the temperate weather, and the general lifestyle are pretty much unsurpassed.

Trust me, try living in several other cities in the world for extended periods (as I have).... Many are fantastic, but very few offer as much as Vancouver does in such close proximity to the city centre. If I had to pick another place to live, it'd probably be a toss-up between Sydney, London, Barcelona, Rome, or Paris.

But *sigh* Vancouver's simply wonderful!:worship:

(thanks, AlexSydney!)

"Sluggy"
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:38 AM
I love the western suburbs of Paris

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 4th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Top group
Vancouver
Melbourne :)
Vienna
Geneva
Perth
Adelaide
Sydney :)
Zurich
Toronto
Calgary

:)

ginger_fish668
Oct 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I think Vancouver's beautiful. Love it there. :)

I've been to/lived in some of the top cities. But have yet to visit any of the bottom ones, which is a good thing...I suppose. :p

ToeTag
Oct 4th, 2005, 12:45 PM
"In the current global political climate, it is no surprise that the most desirable destinations are those with the lower perceived threat of terrorism," said Jon Copestake, editor of the EIU report. I guess the authors of this report hadn't heard of the driveby shootings in Toronto. :rolleyes:

Rohin.
Oct 4th, 2005, 12:48 PM
melbourne :rocker2:

drake3781
Oct 4th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Vancouver is my favorite place of all that I have visited (and I've been to many places) in terms of great place to live... it's so beautiful with the water, mountains, parks. I tell people it's like a clean New York City. Very cosmopolitan, but so clean it almost sparkles.

sioul
Oct 4th, 2005, 01:43 PM
:wavey: :wavey: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :D :D :) :worship: ;) :D :hearts: :hearts: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

im from vancouver.

:wavey:

i LOVE VANCOUVER, but now im stuck in toronto. i hate toronto :rolleyes:

SelesFan70
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Where's Durham-Raleigh on this list? :haha:

hablo
Oct 4th, 2005, 03:57 PM
I like Montreal :p

matthieu_tennis
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:26 PM
3 canaidans city in the top 10 thats very nice :)
i love so much canada :)

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 5th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Four Australian cities in the top group ... but what happened to poor Brisbane?

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 5th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Funny how the top 10 are all in Australia, Canada or the sort of Alpine bit of Europe. :scratch:

Mattographer
Oct 5th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Brisbane such a boring place to live, I've been there once and didn't like it!

blerr
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Vancouver is AWESOME (live about an hr away), so i can see why it would be the best place to live...3 Canadian cities in the top 10, that's so awesome :yeah:

Veritas
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:31 AM
I like Canada and Australia. Great places to live, environment friendly (for the most part), good people and living standards, etc., etc. All of this, IMO, adds up because they're countries that are considered "safe" and have "reasonable" crime and tax laws. And not to mention that go on and on about how successful they've been with multiculturalism and diversity.

But IMO, all this "safe haven" image has come at the expense of excitement. I can't imagine normal, everyday life in Canada or Australia having the same amount of drama and intensity as the U.S. Life's good here (better than America in many ways), but it's repetitive.

Rising Sun
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Does anybody have the full list anywhere? :confused:

James
Oct 5th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Does anybody have the full list anywhere? :confused:

http://store.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=pr_story&press_id=540000654

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 5th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Melbourne was 1st the past 2 yrs, so it's sad to see them lose their top spot with terrorist threats being the reason.

Ems__
Oct 5th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Ha! Knew Melbourne would be up there! :yeah:

CanadianBoy21
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Vancouver is awesome, stayed there two weeks this summer. I live by Toronto, and Toronto is different but very awesome as well. As for the drive by shootings and the like, it's quite bad. But crime has actually gone considerably down in Toronto, and it's only that what happens is extreme, and therefore in the media, but it is nothing like it is perceived to be.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:51 AM
http://store.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=pr_story&press_id=540000654

This is straight from the above site:

RankCountryCityHardship Rating %1=
1AustraliaMelbourne1
CanadaVancouver1
3AustraliaPerth2
4=AustriaVienna3
CanadaToronto3
SwitzerlandGeneva3
SwitzerlandZurich3
8=AustraliaAdelaide4
AustraliaBrisbane4
AustraliaSydney4
DenmarkCopenhagen4
GermanyDüsseldorf4
GermanyFrankfurt4
NorwayOslo4
CanadaMontreal4

Comment: It looks like the UK was not even a point of comparison coz this was a rating of good/bad "foreign" cities to live in for UK expatriates. Note that Vancouver and Melbourne are actually ranked equal first and Brisbane does indeed make the top 10 at equal 8th along with (among others) Sydney and Adelaide. It's always good to go and get the facts. :cool:

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I guess it's nice to be living in the ... er ... equal *best city to live in in the world (with the * meaning not counting cities in the UK). :)

martinafan
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Australia has 5 cities in the top 10!

:bounce:

aNYthing
Oct 5th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Vancouver is great, except for that it is on a major fault line and could cave in at any second :p

CanadianBoy21
Oct 5th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Australia has 5 cities in the top 10!

:bounce:

4 no?

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 5th, 2005, 02:25 PM
^See post 24.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 5th, 2005, 02:25 PM
It's really a top 15 or something since so many are equal 8th.

Lachrymarum
Oct 5th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Looks like I'll need to move to either Canada or Australia in the future, eh?
Currently living in the midwest (U.S.A.) - pretty dull....but Indianapolis is okay.
Would love to visit Vancouver! ;)
Go Canucks & Aussies! :p

Epigone
Oct 5th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Brisbane such a boring place to live, I've been there once and didn't like it!IMO, Brisbane is boring as a tourist destination :o, but it's the best Australian city in which to live :dance:

decemberlove
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Comment: It looks like the UK was not even a point of comparison coz this was a rating of good/bad "foreign" cities to live in for UK expatriates. Note that Vancouver and Melbourne are actually ranked equal first and Brisbane does indeed make the top 10 at equal 8th along with (among others) Sydney and Adelaide. It's always good to go and get the facts. :cool:

London is 44.
Manchester is 50.

I'm not so sure about this list. There's too much focus on terrorism. So what? I don't know anyone who would rather live in Pittsburgh over NYC just cos it's safer. Pittsburgh is a shithole. Same goes for Detroit being above Washington DC. Detroit is :scared: than DC, even with DC's supposed high risk of terrorism. :rolleyes:

Switzerland is beautiful, but there's not much to do. Same goes for Canada. :lol:

I hate people who live in fear. But I can understand this list, considering what London just went through.

DutchieGirl
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:55 PM
:lol: 4 Aussie cities, 3 Canadian and 2 Swiss in the top 10! :eek:

btw, Vancouver's a lovely city. I wanna go back one day.

How the hell Adelaide made the top 10 I dunno - obviously they weren't basing it on the cities actually having something for people to do in them! :angel:

Kinda :cool: - I've been to 6 of the top 10 cities before! ;) Should be going to Perth soon too, and hopefully to Toronto in the near future (ie next couple of years)...that'll just leave Genf (Geneva) and Calgary... ;)

DutchieGirl
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Four Australian cities in the top group ... but what happened to poor Brisbane?

God, I'd take Brisbane over Adelaide any day! ;)

Kart
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Although I am happy living in London and have no plans to move, I thought Vancouver was a lovely place when I went there.

Rising Sun
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I'm surprised Delhi rated over Mumbai. I thought Mumbai would be a better city to live in? :confused:

marmite1
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:14 PM
London is 44.
Manchester is 50.

I'm not so sure about this list. There's too much focus on terrorism. So what? I don't know anyone who would rather live in Pittsburgh over NYC just cos it's safer. Pittsburgh is a shithole. Same goes for Detroit being above Washington DC. Detroit is :scared: than DC, even with DC's supposed high risk of terrorism. :rolleyes:

Switzerland is beautiful, but there's not much to do. Same goes for Canada. :lol:

I hate people who live in fear. But I can understand this list, considering what London just went through.

It was released in 2002 thus the terrorist attacks are not taken into account. Also I cannot believe that Manchester is on the list and Birmingham is not. Birmingham is better than Manchester, and it is also a larger city :confused:

flyingmachine
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:06 PM
It was released in 2002 thus the terrorist attacks are not taken into account. Also I cannot believe that Manchester is on the list and Birmingham is not. Birmingham is better than Manchester, and it is also a larger city :confused:
Birmingham??? :tape:

marmite1
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Birmingham??? :tape:

Yes Birmingham ;) In my opinion Birmingham is better than Manchester.

SelesFan70
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:26 PM
What about Darwin, Australia? I would love to visit there or Perth. :D

R&J
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Looks like I'll need to move to either Canada or Australia in the future, eh?
Currently living in the midwest (U.S.A.) - pretty dull....but Indianapolis is okay.
Would love to visit Vancouver! ;)
Go Canucks & Aussies! :p

:yeah: thats what I was thinking - I gotta get out of texas one day ;)

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:53 PM
:D CANada

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:43 PM
London is 44.
Manchester is 50.

Good lord, I think I stopped looking for London that far down. My bad. Must go and look at it again.