PDA

View Full Version : How is my (written) English?

tennislover
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:40 PM
English native speakers' rate needed:

Guys,
The Dicember's issue of a very interesting tennis magazine, "Match Point", (guess who is its main editor? Adriano Panatta :eek,the great Italian champion during 70's)
features some interesting interviews (to Martina and to BJK).

Martina was asked which were the most unforgettable matches in the history of the game.
Here's what she answered (sorry my translation is really very rough....:o):
"Chris Evert vs Tracy Austin (1979 US Open final: Austin def. Evert 64 63) is the match I will never forget. They both played in the same manner, with the same intensity, as they played in face of a mirror. They were totally equivalent. In such matches the main problem is to beat oneself, to do one's best, because that's the only way to win the opponent.
All the pressure was on Chris, because tracy was much younger. I watched that match from the side line.
Tracy had nothing to lose, on the contrary Chris focused her gane to defence. Finally Tracy won:
About men's tennis, I pick up Connors who destroyed Rosewall in 1974 Wimbledon final: it was a demostration of power. The same demonstration was showed by J. McEnroe destroying everyone (Connors included, in the final) in the 1984 Wimbledon edition. The same power showed this year (2003) Federer in the Wimbledon semifinal and final: he was phenomenal."

BJ King was interviewed in Moscow, during the Federetion cup finals. It was a long interview.
I'll try to translate (:o) the passages when she mentioned Martina:
Question: "What do you thing about Martina playing in FedCup?"
Answer: "It's great to have Martina in our team: she still has got passion, she enjoys playing and her enthousiasm affects the others as well. Her presence makes everyone relaxed. It's the real leader of the team: the youngest players greatly benefit from that"
Question: "You and Martina, do you sometimes talk about your shared Wimbledon titles record?"
Answer:"Sure we talk about that. Since she equalled my 20 title record I'm trying to "pester" her about that. But I think that next year (2004) she will get a better record, as she will team with Lisa Raymond. I suppose they will win the Wimbledon title (at least, they should do that). So I'm trying to enjoy my record still for some month"
Question: "Is there any current player whose style and game attitude looks like yours in your salad days?"
Answer: "No one. Martina is close to that but she is the only one."

Guys, that was a marathone for me: I'm half -dead!;)
Bye
Gio

that's a post i wrote some time ago to a Martina messageboard....
I translated the interview from an Italian tennis magazine
I wonder this: how much English is that?
Rate it please.......

creep
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:41 PM
Excellent!:D

tennislover
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:42 PM
Excellent!:D

really????????????????? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:kiss:

creep
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:43 PM
really????????????????? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:kiss:

Would I lie to you? :D :wavey:

tennislover
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:47 PM
Would I lie to you? :D :wavey:

:lol:
sometimes one lies to friends.... :D

creep
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
:lol:
sometimes one lies to friends.... :D

I wouldn't even tell you a little white one. ;) :)

tennislover
Oct 3rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't even tell you a little white one. ;) :)

;)

James
Oct 3rd, 2005, 01:47 PM
Don't know, as most of your dialogue seems to consist of smilies. ;)

Your English seems ok in the article.

Josh B.
Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:34 PM
its very good, there are a few mistakes where better words could be used to give the sentence more flow, but thats not a problem because i could understand what you were saying :)

well done!

could you teach me some Italian because im going to Milan in January

Sally Struthers
Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
it's ok. Better than my written Italian but that's not saying much :tape:

Craigy
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:01 PM
Yes, I think it is good :)

Pamela Shriver
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:12 PM
Excellent vowels!

MisterQ
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:57 PM
4 stars out of 5, I would say. A few awkward spots (and some spelling mistakes!), but overall very nicely done. congrats :) :cool:

tennislover
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Excellent vowels!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

creep
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:06 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You were supposed to learn/improve my Italian! :D

tennislover
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:37 PM
You were supposed to learn/improve my Italian! :D
:D

tennislover
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:38 PM
guys i 'd like to say thanks to all of you who rated my post... :kiss: :worship:

drake3781
Oct 4th, 2005, 09:49 PM
3 stars honestly. But you could improve to 4 stars pretty easily. Fix the spelling problems and you have to develop an understanding of the way peple speak... your sentences don't flow naturally. Best way to do that might be to listen to any prose in English... books on tape, TV shows, radio talk shows, etc. (And if you don't feel too stupid, repeat back after them.)

:apumpkin: :apumpkin: :apumpkin: :apumpkin:

Helen Lawson
Oct 4th, 2005, 10:06 PM
When I made "The Honeypot" in Venice, everyone spoke English, so I never picked up any Italian. Except Rex Harrison was speaking the language of love to me every night, and Helen means all night. What a man!
And that awful Cappucino trying to steal him away the whole time. I took that little broad aside and said to her, "Look, hon, I'm not losing out on my lay of the year to a woman named after a cup of coffee!" I still can't figure out why she named herself a cup of coffee? :confused: She says, "Vaat do you meens, Miz Lawson?" I just said, "You know exactly what I "meens," toots, drop the phony accent, you're probably from Hoboken anyway." That shut her up!

I'll have to say, though, apart from the lay of a lifetime with Rex, "The Honeypot" was probably my last true quality picture. And I knew it at the time. When I was a young upstart in Hollywood, I made a film second fiddle to Ingrid Bergman, "Adam Had Four Sons." Needless to say, I was the relative unknown and Miss Bergman was the established star. I stole all our scenes together, I was quite the upstar! Maggie Smith did the same to me in "The Honeypot" but I was rich, established, and in my twighlight, so I kind of let her do it. And I'm sure some bitch did the same to her later on. Ah, the cycles in Hollywood!

tennislover
Oct 4th, 2005, 11:01 PM
3 stars honestly. But you could improve to 4 stars pretty easily. Fix the spelling problems and you have to develop an understanding of the way peple speak... your sentences don't flow naturally. Best way to do that might be to listen to any prose in English... books on tape, TV shows, radio talk shows, etc. (And if you don't feel too stupid, repeat back after them.)

:apumpkin: :apumpkin: :apumpkin: :apumpkin:
thanks for the tips :)

tennislover
Oct 4th, 2005, 11:03 PM
When I made "The Honeypot" in Venice, everyone spoke English, so I never picked up any Italian. Except Rex Harrison was speaking the language of love to me every night, and Helen means all night. What a man!
And that awful Cappucino trying to steal him away the whole time. I took that little broad aside and said to her, "Look, hon, I'm not losing out on my lay of the year to a woman named after a cup of coffee!" I still can't figure out why she named herself a cup of coffee? :confused: She says, "Vaat do you meens, Miz Lawson?" I just said, "You know exactly what I "meens," toots, drop the phony accent, you're probably from Hoboken anyway." That shut her up!

I'll have to say, though, apart from the lay of a lifetime with Rex, "The Honeypot" was probably my last true quality picture. And I knew it at the time. When I was a young upstart in Hollywood, I made a film second fiddle to Ingrid Bergman, "Adam Had Four Sons." Needless to say, I was the relative unknown and Miss Bergman was the established star. I stole all our scenes together, I was quite the upstar! Maggie Smith did the same to me in "The Honeypot" but I was rich, established, and in my twighlight, so I kind of let her do it. And I'm sure some bitch did the same to her later on. Ah, the cycles in Hollywood!

nice story :drool: