PDA

View Full Version : 5 Foods to Add to Your Diet

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:55 AM
5 Foods to Add to Your Diet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Jonny Bowden, MA, CNS, for iVillage

So many diet programs are about what you can't have, but what about focusing on things you can add to your diet? What a concept! More food instead of less?

Well, of course there's a catch.

Just adding more of these foods to a bad diet won't cause a drastic overnight weight loss. But adding them -- even to a bad diet -- will improve your health in some significant ways. And the good news is that if you begin to replace some of the foods that keep you fat with the foods on this list, you may well begin to see benefits not only in the health department but on the scale as well.

http://i.ivillage.com/msn/083105/5_foods.jpg

1. Blueberries. High in fiber, low in sugar and calories, and delicious right out of the box. (I don't even mind if you add a spoonful of fresh cream, especially if the combination replaces a dessert). Some studies suggest that regular consumption of blueberries protects the memory.

2. Oatmeal. Use the regular, slow-cooking kind instead of the sweetened, overprocessed "instant" variety. Oatmeal is the second-best source of the essential fatty acid GLA in the world. It contains fiber and protein as well.

3. Cabbage. This lowly vegetable may elicit bad memories for many people, but it's time to get past that and try it again. Cabbage contains a cancer-fighting phytochemical called indole-3-carbinole. One cup of cooked cabbage delivers about 100 mg of this powerful ingredient, not to mention fiber, other beneficial phytochemicals and vitamin C.

4. Kale. This green leafy vegetable is loaded with antioxidants. It's particularly delicious with lemon, garlic (another amazing food) and butter.

5. Sardines. Sardines are like a health food store in a can. They're cheap, they're widely available, they're convenient, and you can take them with you anywhere. And sardines are packed with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. All that and a superb source of protein and calcium (if you eat the bones).

Erika_Angel
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:37 AM
I love blueberry's but I don't eat them enough.
I'll be sure to get some next time I'm at the markets :)

Rtael
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:49 AM
Blueberries are the only one of those I like. :(

Hachiko
Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:20 AM
I turning into a health-freak now, so thanks a lot for the info. Aidan.

controlfreak
Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Sardines I eat regularly, blueberries I eat maybe once a year.

By the way, if oatmeal is the second-best source of GLA, then what is the first?

switz
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:37 PM
very caring poster spikey is.

yes blueberries are great source of antioxidants. pity they are so expensive when out of season - at David Jones they were charging twenty bucks for a small container of them last month. although that was djs bondi so they probably doubled the price for the post code. i still buy them :lol:

Portobello
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:38 PM
i hate all that lists :p

!<blocparty>!
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:39 PM
Kale? WTF? :o

PamShriverRockz
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:39 PM
Blueberries rockz. Even frozen they're great source of goodness. But best keep the blueberry muffins to a minimum;)

DutchieGirl
Oct 2nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
:lick: blueberries! :D

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:24 AM
Had 20 blueberries last night and Oatmeal for breakfast this morning, hopefully going to try the last 2 later.

Wigglytuff
Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:37 AM
thats not what was on my list :shrug:

1-titties
2-big titties
3-bigger titties
4-pussy
5-more tittes
:o

AjdeNate!
Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:43 AM
thats not what was on my list :shrug:

1-titties
2-big titties
3-bigger titties
4-pussy
5-more tittes
:o
:toothy: mmmmm, i like 1-3 and 5 on your list. #4 makes me wanna vomit tho'.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm juggggggggz!

Knizzle
Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:52 AM
I eat cabbage and oatmeal. I never had a fresh blueberry before, only in muffins or pancakes.

Wigglytuff
Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:19 AM
:toothy: mmmmm, i like 1-3 and 5 on your list. #4 makes me wanna vomit tho'.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm juggggggggz!
lol, pussy is some good stuff man.

hmmmmmm titties :lick: :lick:

skanky~skanketta
Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:31 AM
i :hearts: sardines! blueberries too.

i hate cabbage though.

Sam L
Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:35 AM
I love sardines. I don't buy enough blueberries. I eat oatmeal but the overprocessed kind. As if I can be bothered making it the long way? :o

VeeReeDavJCap81
Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:37 AM
I love all those foods, even sardines which leave the fingers with an interesting scent :tape: