PDA

View Full Version : "American Idol" Fantasia Reveals She's Functionally Illiterate

SelesFan70
Oct 1st, 2005, 10:41 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20051001/capt.ny11610011910.people_fantasia_barrino_ny116.j pg

NEW YORK - "American Idol" winner Fantasia Barrino reveals in her memoirs that she is functionally illiterate and had to fake her way through some scripted portions the televised talent show, which she won in 2004.

"You're illiterate to just about everything. You don't want to misspell," Fantasia told ABC's "20/20." "So that, for me, kept me in a box and I didn't, wouldn't come out."

The 21-year-old R&B singer says she's signed record deals and contracts that she didn't read and couldn't understand. But the hardest part, she said, is not being able to read to Zion, her 4-year-old daughter.

"That hurts really bad," she said, adding that she is now learning to read with tutors.

In her memoir, "Life is Not a Fairy Tale," which she dictated to a freelance writer, Fantasia also said she was raped in the ninth grade by a classmate. She says the boy was disciplined, but she blamed herself for the attack.

She dropped out of high school that year and became an unwed mother at 17.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051001/ap_on_en_mu/people_fantasia_barrino

This could go either way. Only in America could she have become a millionaire :D ...but then...how in the world did she get promoted in school? :scratch: (Which if she faked it on TV, she obviously faked it in school). It took a lot of guts for her to admit this. Hopefully, it will inspire others who can't read to learn how to do it. :)

On a related note, they are holding "American Idol" audtions in Greensboro, NC again this year. Who knew NC is such a hot bed of singing talent (Clay, Fantasia)? :shrug:

TF Chipmunk
Oct 1st, 2005, 10:43 PM
Awwww :hug:

controlfreak
Oct 1st, 2005, 10:45 PM
Hopefully, it will inspire others who can't read to learn how to do it. :)

Many of whom regularly use this forum!

SelesFan70
Oct 1st, 2005, 10:46 PM
Many of whom regularly use this forum!

:p

Sally Struthers
Oct 1st, 2005, 10:55 PM
American "Idol" indeed! :rolleyes:

Stamp Paid
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:00 PM
i wish i was surprised by this 'revelation'

but props to her for doing something about it

Wiggly
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:13 PM
:tape: A bit weird she's an American Idol if she can't read :eek:

SloKid
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:15 PM
Well it was not a reading contest. It was a singing one.
Imagine if she participated in a karaoke contest. Now that would be rough. :D

harloo
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:18 PM
How fitting that our resident black race troll Selesfan70 found the time to post this article. I was going to post this same article a few days ago, however I knew that eventually I could count on you.:o

I am glad Fantasia is admitting that she has a problem and is willing to deal with an embarassing admission. We can only hope that others who are suffering from illiteracy are inspired to improve their reading skills. :D

skanky~skanketta
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:23 PM
good for her!

go fantasia!u rawk!

and being raped, the poor thing. well, she's gotten far in life.

Staticbeef
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:23 PM
This young lady should have been down for the count long ago, yet she is still in there fighting and "Yes" doing something about her deficiencies. Forget American, An Idol Indeed. You Go Fantasia. Heard she is related to some pretty successful people in the music business, how could they let her go though all that she went through??? especially if they knew how much talent she posses. Family :rolleyes:

harloo
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:24 PM
Well it was not a reading contest. It was a singing one.
Imagine if she participated in a karaoke contest. Now that would be rough. :D

Fantasia claimed on her 20/20 special last night that she memorized most of the words in practice. When she had to speak and didn't pronounce a word correctly she excused it by claiming that she was a country girl and corrected her pronounciation right on the spot.

She also stated that she was raped very young.

harloo
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:28 PM
This young lady should have been down for the count long ago, yet she is still in there fighting and "Yes" doing something about her deficiencies. Forget American, An Idol Indeed. You Go Fantasia. Heard she is related to some pretty successful people in the music business, how could they let her go though all that she went through??? especially if they knew how much talent she posses. Family :rolleyes:

Static, I believe she is related to KCi and JoJo from Jodeci. I remember her stating that they wanted her to make it on her own. She is a true gem. Did you see her sing Summertime last night on the 20/20 special?

Knizzle
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:30 PM
How fitting that our resident black race troll Selesfan70 found the time to post this article. I was going to post this same article a few days ago, however I knew that eventually I could count on you.:o

Was just thinking about this while scrolling down the thread to see if anyone mentioned it and you took care of it for us. :lol:

Cariaoke
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:39 PM
I read another article where it said she was having a book signing... I'm going to leave that alone cuz that's too easy! :o

But props to her for doing something about it. There are far too many people that are illiterate.

This reminds me of how athletes were promoted and given byes for tests so the school could get money from their hardwork on the court/field. :o

Staticbeef
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:43 PM
Static, I believe she is related to KCi and JoJo from Jodeci. I remember her stating that they wanted her to make it on her own. She is a true gem. Did you see her sing Summertime last night on the 20/20 special?

No, I missed that, but can imagine that she gave that special ingredient that makes all her music fresh and delightful, its called "FANTASIA". I din't feel her in the begining either, but that MJB thing about her, grows on you for sure.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:18 AM
Wow - I never knew this!

I'm proud of Fantasia for coming out with this and shedding a light on something that many people don't even realize exists out there - illiteracy. Good on ya Fantasia :)

Pureracket
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:23 AM
I only wish that the 20-something-year old, wannabe thug DJs in my area knew that you she recorded a song other than "Free Yourself." I love Fantasia, but that's the only song they play of hers, and they've been playing it for months and months.

Then again, it's a refreshing change from Lyfe Jennings, Pretty Ricky and the Mavericks, and BowWow/Ciara. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

harloo
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:47 AM
I only wish that the 20-something-year old, wannabe thug DJs in my area knew that you she recorded a song other than "Free Yourself." I love Fantasia, but that's the only song they play of hers, and they've been playing it for months and months.

Then again, it's a refreshing change from Lyfe Jennings, Pretty Ricky and the Mavericks, and BowWow/Ciara. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL! Lyfe Jennings gets on my nerves. How many times can you talk about being in prison, hypocritical church people, and trifiling women? I bought his album and thought it was going to be something different.:lol:

harloo
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:47 AM
Was just thinking about this while scrolling down the thread to see if anyone mentioned it and you took care of it for us. :lol:

:yeah: