PDA

View Full Version : Two Reported Killed in Bali Explosions (Updated : At least 32 dead 100 injured)

Harju.
Oct 1st, 2005, 01:36 PM
10 minutes ago BALI, Indonesia - Several explosions occurred almost simultaneously Saturday in tourist areas of Bali island, causing casualties, police and a private Indonesian radio station said. A witness told the radio station at least two people were killed.

At least three blasts occurred along Jimbaran beach, which is lined with seafood restaurants commonly frequented by tourists, El Shinta radio reported. Witnesses saw at least three injured foreigners leaving the scene, the station said.

One witness told Metro TV that one of the explosions was close to the Four Seasons Hotel, which sits on the bay, and "people are still being evacuated."

Another explosion hit downtown Kuta, about 18 miles away, the radio said.

Bali police spokesman Lt. Col. Antonius Reniban confirmed that several blasts went off, but he could not say if they were bombs.

"There have been some explosions in Jimbaran and Kuta area, but we cannot give any details," he said. "Police are still investigating."

In 2002, bombings blamed on the al-Qaida-linked militant group Jemaah Islamiyah killed 202 people, mostly foreigners, on Bali island.

Since then, the same extremist group has been tied to at least two other bombings in Indonesia, both in the capital, Jakarta. Those blasts, one at the J.W. Marriott hotel in 2003 and the other outside the Australian Embassy in 2004, killed at least 23 people.

Western and Indonesian intelligence agencies have consistently warned that the group was plotting more attacks. Last month, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said he was especially worried the network was about to carry out more attacks.

DutchieGirl
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:15 PM
:eek: Again?

Craigy
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Oh dear :tape:

:Rawwb:
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:21 PM
Oh dear :tape:

Dont you be so fucking heartless you little dick - I dont find any of this worthy of a : tape: smilie.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:24 PM
Not again.

Craigy
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:26 PM
Dont you be so fucking heartless you little dick - I dont find any of this worthy of a : tape: smilie.
What the fuck is your problem you cheeky bastard. Everything i say you have to come and piss me off. Your just a stupid twat who thinks its fun to annoy people. Grow up.

Oct 1st, 2005, 02:28 PM
What the fuck is your problem you cheeky bastard. Everything i say you have to come and piss me off. Your just a stupid twat who thinks its fun to annoy people. Grow up.

Well I think the person who should grow up is the one :tape:ing at people dying in Bombs.....

Harju.
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:28 PM
8 Dead, 13 Injured
BALI, Indonesia - Bombs exploded almost simultaneously Saturday in two tourist areas of the Indonesian resort island of Bali, killing at least eight people and wounding 13 others, police and hospital officials said. The victims included foreign tourists. The blasts at Jimbaran beach and a bustling outdoor shopping center in downtown Kuta "were clearly the work of terrorists," police Maj. Gen. Ansyaad Mbai, a top Indonesian anti-terrorism official, told The Associated Press.

Oct 1st, 2005, 02:29 PM
Here we go again, every news report will have more dead :sad: It happend after Egypt, London and Tsunami(onloy recent ones)

DutchieGirl
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:30 PM

this is why he's on my ignore list! ;)

DutchieGirl
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:31 PM
8 Dead, 13 Injured
BALI, Indonesia - Bombs exploded almost simultaneously Saturday in two tourist areas of the Indonesian resort island of Bali, killing at least eight people and wounding 13 others, police and hospital officials said. The victims included foreign tourists. The blasts at Jimbaran beach and a bustling outdoor shopping center in downtown Kuta "were clearly the work of terrorists," police Maj. Gen. Ansyaad Mbai, a top Indonesian anti-terrorism official, told The Associated Press.

honestly, at the moment, why would anyone want to go to Bali - it's just not safe there! It's sad for the country though, coz it's not helping their economy.

Oct 1st, 2005, 02:32 PM
Do you even know what I said, seen as you ignore me anyway so go away before you make assumptions

Pengwin
Oh no, what is going on in the world :eek: :bigcry:

Craigy
He is pathetic.
I didn't mean it in a bad way and there he is being an arrogant little shit.

DutchieGirl
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:34 PM
He is pathetic.

I know - just put him on ignore though, it's the easiest! ;)

Craigy
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
I know - just put him on ignore though, it's the easiest! ;)
:) off to do it.

DutchieGirl
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:36 PM
:) off to do it.

:yeah: ;)

He is pathetic.
Well what did you mean then.....?

Harju.
honestly, at the moment, why would anyone want to go to Bali - it's just not safe there! It's sad for the country though, coz it's not helping their economy.
I actually had a plan to go Bali next summer :o.

Craigy
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:38 PM
Well what did you mean then.....?
I meant it like, Oh no.
I don't like it when people die :retard:

Oct 1st, 2005, 02:38 PM
I meant it like, Oh no.
I don't like it when people die :retard:
I should tihnk so too

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:39 PM
They always (so far) bomb the west side of the island. Maybe you should go to Sanur or Nusa Dua, rather than Kuta. I gather that tourism on the east side is booming, despite everything.

~ The Leopard ~
Er, I was addressing V-lix.

Craigy
I should tihnk so too
So is this sorted?

DutchieGirl
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:40 PM
I actually had a plan to go Bali next summer :o.

:eek: I wouldn't go anywhere near the place with what's been happening!

Oct 1st, 2005, 02:41 PM
So is this sorted?
This particular misinterpertation, yes

Craigy
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:44 PM
This particular misinterpertation, yes
ok.

Harju.
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:46 PM
They always (so far) bomb the west side of the island. Maybe you should go to Sanur or Nusa Dua, rather than Kuta. I gather that tourism on the east side is booming, despite everything.
:wavey:. Thanks for the tips.

Harju.
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:46 PM
:eek: I wouldn't go anywhere near the place with what's been happening!
I really don't mind going there, but I'm not sure about my friends. I don't want to go there alone though. Would be kinda meeh.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:49 PM
Only trouble is that the stuff young people like to do is largely around Kuta. Which is why it's an obvious target if you want to hit "decadent" Aussies.

DutchieGirl
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:51 PM
Only trouble is that the stuff young people like to do is largely around Kuta. Which is why it's an obvious target if you want to hit "decadent" Aussies.

yup - well luckily for me, Bali's never really rated much. It's not really somewhere I wanna go anyway.

Harju.
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:59 PM
oh i'm not your typical young people then :angel:

Harju.
Oct 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM
yup - well luckily for me, Bali's never really rated much. It's not really somewhere I wanna go anyway.
OZ is on my list for my holiday plan next year.

Just saw the news on the bombing. It's horrible :scared:.

DutchieGirl
Oct 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM
OZ is on my list for my holiday plan next year.

Just saw the news on the bombing. It's horrible :scared:.

Europe's on mine as usual! ;)

Harju.
Oct 1st, 2005, 03:10 PM
Europe's on mine as usual! ;)
Pffft. I'm not like you. I only go on holiday like three years once or something :haha:

DutchieGirl
Oct 1st, 2005, 03:15 PM
Pffft. I'm not like you. I only go on holiday like three years once or something :haha:

:haha: Not my fault! :p

Hagar
Oct 1st, 2005, 03:47 PM
Islamic idiots are striking again. :fiery:

marmite1
Oct 1st, 2005, 03:54 PM
At least 12 people have been killed in a series of explosions on the Indonesian resort island of Bali.
www.bbc.co.uk

Its up to 12 now.

DutchieGirl
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:08 PM
www.bbc.co.uk

Its up to 12 now.

:tape: Why does this shit keep happening? (yes rhetorical, no need to answer).

marmite1
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:13 PM
:tape: Why does this shit keep happening? (yes rhetorical, no need to answer).

Slightly patronising there :lol:

DutchieGirl
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:15 PM
Slightly patronising there :lol:

oh that wasn't for you in particular, just in general, coz no doubt someone would have replied to the question otherwise! ;)

Oct 1st, 2005, 04:33 PM
Death toll risen to 19+

marmite1
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM
Death toll risen to 19+

This isn't good

Oct 1st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Like i said, after each report the death toll increases and its happenning, within like 10 minyutes it has now risen to atleast 21

Oct 1st, 2005, 05:16 PM
BOMBERS HIT BALI AGAIN

More than 30 people have reportedly been killed in two bomb attacks on the popular tourist island of Bali, it is reported.

Still rising :sad:

Oct 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM
Bomb attacks on two busy tourist areas on the Indonesian resort island of Bali have killed at least 22 people.
About 50 others were injured in at least three blasts which took place just before 2000 local time (1200 GMT).

Two blasts occurred at Jimbaran - a seaside area packed with restaurants. Another was at Kuta beach, the area most popular with Western tourists.

In October 2002, bomb attacks blamed on Islamic extremists killed 202 people in Kuta, among them many foreign tourists.

Local TV has been showing pictures of people with terrible injuries and collapsed buildings.

A hospital official told Reuters news agency that at least 35 wounded foreigners had been taken to the island's main hospital.

Local media said the police had found a number of other unexploded devices.

The noise was deafening. Like a thousand fireworks going off at one time

James Hughes

Your experiences

The exact number of blasts, which happened almost simultaneously, was not clear. Some witnesses said they heard at least two explosions at each location.

A British tourist who was in a building next door to a restaurant that was hit in Kuta said there was a "thunderous boom" that caused all the shop's windows to blow out.

"It was just chaos," Daniel Martin told the BBC.

He said there were people lying in the streets with serious injuries, with everyone pitching in to help.

Journalist Maris Bakkalupulo went to the scene of the Kuta blast, and saw a noodle shop that had been badly damaged.

"It's completely gutted," she told the BBC. "Everything has been blasted out of the building, which is very mangled."

UK govt opens helpline

Another tourist in Bali, Anthony Brearley from Australia, said he heard two explosions in Kuta.

"I think the locals still think it's a gas explosion. I think they genuinely think it couldn't happen again," he told the BBC News website.

"All the Australian people automatically thought 'bombs', and they were gone.

Australia's Foreign Minister, Alexander Downer, has said at least one Australian was killed and three injured.

Indonesia's President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has condemned the blasts.

"These are clearly terrorist attacks because the targets were random and public places," he said.

"We will hunt down the perpetrators and bring them to justice."

Warnings

The blasts come less than two weeks before the third anniversary of bomb attacks that killed 202 people - many of them foreigners holidaying in Bali.

The 12 October 2002 bombings have been blamed on Jemaah Islamiah (JI), - a south-east Asian militant group which is said to have links with Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.

JI is also suspected of being behind a suicide bombing at the Marriott hotel in Jakarta that killed 11 people in 2003, and a suicide bombing at the Australian embassy last September in which eight people were killed.

The BBC's Tim Johnston in Jakarta says the authorities had warned that militants had been planning further attacks on Western targets in Indonesia, although there had been no particular alerts over the past few days.

Harju.
Oct 1st, 2005, 05:49 PM
Local news here said it's 32 dead now. :sad:

marmite1
Oct 1st, 2005, 06:10 PM
Local news here said it's 32 dead now. :sad:

It says 22 on bbc.co.uk

ns_Henin
Oct 1st, 2005, 06:19 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

this world is not safe to live anymore, i hope USA can find a way soon to stop this terrorist attack :fiery:

marmite1
Oct 1st, 2005, 06:21 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

this world is not safe to live anymore, i hope USA can find a way soon to stop this terrorist attack :fiery:

Pft the US stopping terrorist atttacks, I dont think so. They will make it worse. Probably start world war three.

It says 22 on bbc.co.uk
sky news is more accurate and up to date

marmite1
sky news is more accurate and up to date

I dont agree. They get some of their stuff from fox :tape:

ns_Henin
Oct 1st, 2005, 06:29 PM
So who will able to stop the terrorist? where are Jesus Christ?

Oct 1st, 2005, 06:31 PM
Correct myself, they have brought the toll back down to 22 now

marmite1
Oct 1st, 2005, 06:35 PM
Correct myself, they have brought the toll back down to 22 now

:p and u say Sky is more accurate than BBC.

Lord Nelson
Oct 1st, 2005, 06:37 PM
Pft the US stopping terrorist atttacks, I dont think so. They will make it worse. Probably start world war three.
yeah, probably people like you think that singing 'we shall ovecome' will be a better thing to do, pffff. Bush did good getting rid of Saddam. We need to figh fire with fire and send those islamist idiots to Guantanamo. :yeah:

marmite1
Oct 1st, 2005, 06:50 PM
yeah, probably people like you think that singing 'we shall ovecome' will be a better thing to do, pffff. Bush did good getting rid of Saddam. We need to figh fire with fire and send those islamist idiots to Guantanamo. :yeah:

:p and killed a load of innocent people in process. I never said we should sing "we shall overcome". However, that is a catchy song.

ns_Henin
Oct 1st, 2005, 07:22 PM
i think its possibly related with the president decision to rise the price of fuel (around 90%) on october 1st.

marmite1
Oct 1st, 2005, 07:23 PM
i think its possibly related with the president decision to rise the price of fuel (around 90%) on october 1st.

Ouch. Petrol = a reason to kill people :fiery:

DutchieGirl
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:15 AM

:rolleyes: grow up!

Hachiko
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:19 AM
This is terrible ... I heard a 16 year-old was killed.

azza
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:25 AM
Why Indonesia? :o what da hell do they have to do with the war?

DutchieGirl
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:27 AM
Why Indonesia? :o what da hell do they have to do with the war?

Most of the attacks seem to have been in tourist areas, so I think they are not so much aimed at Indonesians per se, but at the foreigners in the country... (lots of Aussies go there don't forget...not to say that they are only targetting Aussie though...)

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:39 AM
This is terrible ... I heard a 16 year-old was killed.

Why is that worse than a 15 y.o or a 17 y.o.? Or a 6 y.o. or a 40 y.o. or an 85 y.o.? Are you 16? :scratch:

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:41 AM
Most of the attacks seem to have been in tourist areas, so I think they are not so much aimed at Indonesians per se, but at the foreigners in the country... (lots of Aussies go there don't forget...not to say that they are only targetting Aussie though...)

Well, Kuta Beach is a symbol of the Aussie lifestyle. People go there to surf, screw, drink, smoke dope, lie around on the beach topless, etc, etc. I love Kuta, though I'm more a Sanur kind of guy these days. I like a bit of middleclass luxury.

RatedR Superstar
Oct 2nd, 2005, 02:58 AM
the thing that upsets me the most is how this cowards try to present themselves in the public as someone to be feared, they release videos of them training in the jungle with their big guns, they show hand to hand combat trainings of them, but when was the last time they actually used those kind of trainings? never, coz all they do is bomb and kill innocent people, theyre all cowards, all they can hurt are people who cant fight back, and about those damn suicide bombers, they think its an act of bravery, but in fact its really an act of cowardice, its one coward getting fooled or getting punked by another coward..fuck them all!! :fiery:

kj-
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:16 AM
Islamic idiots are striking again. :fiery:
are you sure? well i don't like when you say 'Islamic idiots are striking again.' please don't prejudge us.. i better hear 'idiots are striking again'.. please..

kj-
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:20 AM
well.. i agree...

Hayato
Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
1 of the 2 people that died was from my town....and there was a whole group of people from where I live that were there and they were all injured :( :sad:

Ems__
Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:17 AM
This really is terrible!

I havent been watching the news yet, whats the death toll at the moment?

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 2nd, 2005, 08:41 AM
are you sure? well i don't like when you say 'Islamic idiots are striking again.' please don't prejudge us.. i better hear 'idiots are striking again'.. please..

But they almost certainly were Islamic. JL is an Islamic organisation. To say that is not to imply that all Muslims are idiots or whatever.