PDA

View Full Version : Viva Tokyo

Harju.
Oct 1st, 2005, 10:59 AM
Seeded players :

1. Nicole Vaidisova CZE (New rank #21. #20 if she wins Seoul)
2. Vera Zvonareva RUS (New rank #24.)
3. Tatiana Golovin FRA (New rank #25.)
4. Maria Kirilenko RUS (New rank #26.)

5. Ai Sugiyama JPN
6. Gisela Dulko ARG
7. Shinobu Asagoe JPN
8. Sania Mirza IND

I think Masha and Vera would withdraw but that's just me.

Allez Tati :banana:. Here's for a good draw :banana:

yukon145
Oct 1st, 2005, 01:42 PM
c'mon Tati lets keep up the good form from Seoul this week!

martirogi
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:44 PM
another winnable tourney for tatix!!! lets try and make the finals this time bitch. :D

AK-DH Fan
Oct 1st, 2005, 05:33 PM
Good luck Tati :)

ZAK
Oct 1st, 2005, 05:42 PM
Hopefully she'll be in Zvonareva's half. Good luck Tati!

willrock
Oct 1st, 2005, 05:43 PM
another winnable tourney for tatix!!! lets try and make the finals this time bitch. :D

I don't appreciate. :o :fiery:
Unacceptable from a so-called Tati fan.

Harju.
Oct 1st, 2005, 05:49 PM
I expect at least a SF apperance here. No less but don't mind more :angel:

martirogi
Oct 1st, 2005, 07:58 PM
I don't appreciate. :o :fiery:
Unacceptable from a so-called Tati fan.

stricly a term of endearment. no harm intended. :wavey:

am13
Oct 1st, 2005, 08:33 PM
Allez Tatiana !!!
I hope she will have a good draw... And I think she can win her first tournament !

yukon145
Oct 1st, 2005, 10:51 PM
everyone stopping saying winning her first tournment! you're gonna jinx her. its gonna happen when it happens, let time run its course.

martirogi
Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:01 AM
it's never gonna happen :devil:

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:49 AM
(1)Vera Zvonareva v Catalina Castano
Shahar Peer v Marion Bartoli
Aiko Nakamura v Mashona Washington
(8)Sania Mirza v Q

(3)Tatiana Golovin v Abigail Spears
Martina Sucha v (wc)Saori Obata
Laura Granville v Camille Pin
(5)Ai Sugiyama v Alina Jidkova

(6)Gisela Dulko v Q
Jamea Jackson v Jill Craybas
Henrieta Nagyova v Tathiana Garbin
(4)Maria Kirilenko v (wc)Ayumi Morita

(7)Shinobu Asagoe v Maria Vento-Kabchi
Q vs. Q
Rika Fujiwara v Sybille Bammer
(2)Nicole Vaidisova v Akiko Morigami

----

a good draw. Time to avenge the AO loss :devil::fiery:

No doubles for our little Tati this week :)

Harju.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Oh yay at least she's at Vera's side of the draw. :banana:.

Remember : One match a time, people.

Allez Tati. Take your revenge :devil:

souam
Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Go Tati!!!! Make them all eat bagel sushis!!! :kiss: :lol:

willrock
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
Oh yay at least she's at Vera's side of the draw. :banana:.

Remember : One match a time, people.

Allez Tati. Take your revenge :devil:

Maybe so as not to be disappointed...
But we can have some ambitions for our lil'Cutie Tati and I think she should make it to the final :).
Go Tati!!! :kiss:

selyoink
Oct 2nd, 2005, 02:52 PM
I hope Tati can win her first title here. It is a weak field so she has a good chance.

yukon145
Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:46 PM
good luck Tati in your first match. want revenge!

martirogi
Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:50 PM
she should make the final and play either vaidi or kirilenko. if she does play nicole it's possible she'll be tired from two long weeks and tati will have a really good chance to do that thing i'm not supposed to mention.

Harju.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
if tati can't win her first round match, then i'd be :help:. Spears hasn't won her first round match since MIAMI. That's like full six month.

willrock
Oct 2nd, 2005, 05:03 PM
if tati can't win her first round match, then i'd be :help:. Spears hasn't won her first round match since MIAMI. That's like full six month.

LOL at least it would mean she loves playing Tati

willrock
Oct 2nd, 2005, 05:04 PM
BTW I would love playing ... with Tati :drool: :angel:

ZAK
Oct 2nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Go Tati!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

tennisrulz8
Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:08 PM
Come on Tati! win your first match

rseto
Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:30 PM
pretty good draw. if she can keep her play up, she should have a good tournament. hopefully spears doesn't own tati.

JS
Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
I've just noticed that Abigail is on 11 first-round losts in a row, so if Tatiana can't win this one... lol
But personnaly, after last week, I'm quiet confident for her!
Good luck Tati!!

martirogi
Oct 2nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
it would be just like tati to kill sugi last week and then lose to her this week :rolleyes:

Tati & Dani
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:26 AM
Go for the title Tati :D

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:19 AM
Tati may have a new contract with another racquet brand for the next season, cause she's not on the Volk website anymore :eek:
http://193.193.145.204/US/07_players/07_01_wta/07_01_00.html

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
from wtatour.com :

Tatiana Golovin, another one of the Tour's rising stars, will be the No.3 seed. Golovin is one of the few players this year to reach Tour semifinals on all four surfaces, on hardcourts at Gold Coast and Seoul, indoors at Paris [Indoors], on clay at the Tier I event in Charleston and on the grass of Birmingham. The 17-year-old Frenchwoman has played in Tokyo once before, falling to Vaidisova in her opening round match last year. She will face Abigail Spears of the United States to begin her week.

améliemomo
Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:13 PM
Allez tati!crash them all!

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 4th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Centre Court (from 10.00hrs)
1. Golovin vs. Spears
2. ATP: Puerta vs. Taino
3. ATP: Ginepri vs. Popp
4. Asagoe vs. Arvidsson
5. Morigami vs. Vaidisova
6. ATP: Terachi vs. Srichaphan (NB 18.30hrs)

Mailin
Oct 4th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Good luck Tati :devil:

yukon145
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:24 PM
c'mon Tati, time for revenge.

martirogi
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:05 PM
i like how you switch up the colors everytime u post the schedule tatiannaholic. good that tati gets to play first like she likes.

rseto
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:12 PM
glad that there is better "live" scoring in tokyo than last week. allez tati in your 1st round match!

yukon145
Oct 5th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Tati wins 6-4, 6-2! revenge is sweet. good luck in the next round!

ZAK
Oct 5th, 2005, 02:29 AM
:bounce: :bounce: WooooHoooooo Tati :bounce: :bounce:

martirogi
Oct 5th, 2005, 02:39 AM
tatix ya done us proud :yeah:

tennisrulz8
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:27 AM
yay for Tati. I'm so glad.

yukon145
Oct 5th, 2005, 04:06 AM
new pics up at getty too.

Mailin
Oct 5th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Well done Tati :kiss: :drool:

rseto
Oct 5th, 2005, 05:22 AM
that was a nice and quick 1st round win! hope you can do that again tomorrow, tati.

Tati & Dani
Oct 5th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Congrats :smooch:

willrock
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Yeah nice win Tati! :kiss:
Next opponent is Soari Obata...
It should be an easy round.
Go Tatiana!!!

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Court 2 :speakles::shout: [from 10.00hrs)
1. Nakamura vs. Mirza
2. Nagyova vs. Kirilenko
3. Golovin vs. Obata
4. Hopkins/Washington vs. Dulko/Kirilenko
5. Asagoe/Vento-Kabchi vs. Chuang/Fujiwara (NB 15.30hrs)

Mailin
Oct 5th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Go Tati :bounce:

AK-DH Fan
Oct 5th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Good Luck Tati

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 5th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Also advancing to the round of 16 was Golovin, a 64 62 winner over Abigail Spears, avenging a loss to the American in the Australian Open second round in January.

"I lost to her early this year at the Australian Open, so I knew it was going to be a tough match," said Golovin. "She doesn't make too many mistakes and doesn't let you step in too much, so you can't get your rhythm. But I'm excited to win my first match because last year, I lost early.

"I served very well today; got a lot of first serves in. My serve is becoming a big part of my game now, and I hope it continues that way."

Like Vaidisova, Golovin takes on another local player for a quarterfinal berth. Saori Obata, one of five Japanese players through to the second round, is the 17-year-old Frenchwoman's next opponent, whom she has never played before.

"I don't know how she plays," said Golovin of Obata. "She seemed to have an easy first round win, so I expect a tough match."

yukon145
Oct 5th, 2005, 05:39 PM
c'mon Tati, keep on rollin' through! you deserve better then court 2 as well.

rseto
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:25 PM
hope she gets to play today; the weather doesn't look that promising. allez in your 2nd round match, tati!

selyoink
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Nice start to the tournament Tati!

ZAK
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:34 PM
It sucks she's on Court 2, because only Center Court has a roof

Harju.
Oct 5th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Allez Tati. Good luck against Saori.

leviathane
Oct 5th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Go Tati , go to the final , at least

tennisrulz8
Oct 6th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Yay Tati!! come on!

yukon145
Oct 6th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Tati wins again! Golovin def Obata 6-1, 6-4. don't stop now Tati, good luck in the next round.

Tati & Dani
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Keep going Tati :D

rseto
Oct 6th, 2005, 07:33 AM
alright! another quick win for tati.

Ceze
Oct 6th, 2005, 07:43 AM
:woohoo: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#) Tati!!!

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 6th, 2005, 11:48 AM
1. Zvonareva vs. Mirza
2. ATP: Ginepri vs. Phau
3. Golovin vs. Sugiyama
4. ATP: Puerta or Baghdatis vs. Ancic
5. ATP: Moodie or Horna vs. K.Kim or Stepanek
6. ATP: Nieminen or Srichaphan vs. Arthurs or Dent (NB 18.30hrs)

Harju.
Oct 6th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Tati :yippee:. She hasn't been giving us any choke-fest these past two weeks. :worship:

willrock
Oct 6th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Sugiyama next up... I hope it will be the same match as last week :D
Go!!! It can really be "Viva la Tati" in Tokyo :)

selyoink
Oct 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Another solid win for Tati. Keep it up!

martirogi
Oct 6th, 2005, 04:35 PM
tatiana we're all so proud of you. :sad: where was this form all year?

Mailin
Oct 6th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Well done Tati :kiss: Keep going :yeah:

tennisrulz8
Oct 6th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Good job tati! Good luck in the next round.

rseto
Oct 7th, 2005, 12:03 AM
it'll be a good performance if she can beat sugiyama two weeks in a row. allez in your qf match, tati!

yukon145
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:59 AM
yes Tati wins again! 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 over Sugiyama. great fight Tati, good luck in the semis. i really hope she can beat Mirza because honestly i dont like Mirza and all her hype.

Rocinante
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Good win by Tatiana, good luck on her next match :)

rseto
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:03 AM
6-0 in qfs this year for tati! too bad there are more matches after the qf. ;)

this was a good win for tati. had a bad start to the 1st set and lost it but won the 2nd and 3rd pretty easy. and this was against a good veteran opponent on her home soil.

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 7th, 2005, 09:58 AM
:banana:

Mirza is beatable she's Sprem v.2.0 (too much power + 0 control). Allez Tati you're more talented! :D

willrock
Oct 7th, 2005, 11:09 AM
:) Hey great win against Sugi!!!
6th SF of the year!!! Thats quite good. But better if she wins tomorrow...
I hope she will be sixth time lucky!
Go for your first final of the year Tati! :bounce:

~~Mirza is definitely beatable~~ Tati has more constency than her! Well she's gonna prove it... Don't make me a lier please Tati! :kiss:

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 7th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Saturday, October 8, 2005

1. Kirilenko vs. Vaidisova
2. Mirza vs. Golovin
3. ATP: Ancic vs. Phau
4. Doubles Final: Asagoe/Vento Kabchi vs. Dulko/Kirilenko
5. ATP: Nieminen or Dent vs. Moodie or Stepanek
6. ATP: Arthurs/Hanley vs. Iwabuchi/Suzuki

Mailin
Oct 7th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Tati :yeah: ... you can beat her :kiss:

Harju.
Oct 7th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Tati is 6-0 at QF but 0-5 at the SF :mad:.

That was a great win. She didn't collapse after losing the first set against Sugiyama, who is known for her agility ;). Sania would be much tougher. She needs to step it up to win. And Tati always has problems against young players :unsure: :scared:

Allez Tati :yippee:

selyoink
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Another good win for Tati. I hope she can get to the final.

the cat
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Good luck to Tati against Mirza. It's important Tati play clean tennis and let Mirza beat herself with unforced errors. Mirza has tremendous power but she doesn't know how to control it. Tatiana knows how to play tennis and control her shots. And she needs to play under control to beat Mirza who will come out firing away and blasting every shot she can. :eek: Udachi Tatiana! :bounce:

martirogi
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:32 PM
mirza wont even hit the ball in the court. hopefully its a tati vs tired nikkie v final. :devil:

Harju.
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:39 PM
mirza wont even hit the ball in the court. hopefully its a tati vs tired nikkie v final. :devil:
:eek: great mind think alike. nikkie would prolly be tired by the final with all her 3 sets matches this week plus whole week matches last week.

Sania has no control or whatsoever on the forehand. It's hard but can be waaaaaaay off. Tati has done the same with Vee's this year. She attacked Vee's forehand and voila, she won. So allez Tati :banana:

Stamp Paid
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:40 PM
:eek: great mind think alike. nikkie would prolly be tired by the final with all her 3 sets matches this week plus whole week matches last week.

Sania has no control or whatsoever on the forehand. It's hard but can be waaaaaaay off. Tati has done the same with Vee's this year. She attacked Vee's forehand and voila, she won. So allez Tati :banana:

Yes, she needs to attack Sania's 2nd serve too (which is really crap). Tati has the advantagew in movement AND basically everything else.

Allez Tat! :worship::worship::worship:Even if she loses, shes done phenomenally well this tournament. :D:drool::)

am13
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Yeeesssss !!! 5th semi-final, this year !
Please Tati, tyou can and you MUST go to the final !
Allez TATIANA !

yukon145
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:26 PM
an article i found:

Fifth-seed Ai Sugiyama was sent crashing out in the women's quarterfinals by teenager Tatiana Golovin of France as the host saw its final player knocked out of the singles competition at the Japan Open on Friday. Sugiyama appeared in control of the first set, keeping her third-seeded opponent off-balance with her trademark backhand but eventually relinquished her game in a 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 defeat at Ariake Tennis Forest Park.

The 31st-ranked Japanese player was broken twice in the second set and three times in the final set, including when she double-faulted to give Golovin a 3-0 lead.

Sugiyama, who struggled with a left ankle injury last season and was making her first appearance in two years at this meet, also lost to Golovin 6-3, 6-2 recently in Seoul and was unable to keep her rhythm once again against the 25th-ranked player.

"I moved well in the first set but then I found that I was unable to attack as we went into the second set," Sugiyama said. "She kept me back (on the baseline) and that's not my style. I couldn't get the same rhythm back."

Sugiyama last won the Japan Open title in 1998 and expectations for her return to grace have been high ever since. The 30-year-old said it was a lack of persistence that was her downfall in the end.

Golovin was pleased with her own performance, especially after regaining her focus from some minor distractions in the first set.

"I was bothered by the (stadium) cover being half-opened because it makes a shadow on the court. I'm a little uncomfortable with that. I might have lost in the past because of this, so I'm proud of myself," she said.

The 17-year-old slipped down while chasing the ball in the final game of the last set but scrambled to her feet and charged the net, putting a ball past Sugiyama to clinch a meeting with eighth-seed Sania Mirza of India in the semifinals.

hopfully Tati is alright after the fall, she should be if she was able to get up and hit a winner. :worship:

yukon145
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:32 PM
more quotes from Tati, this is from wtatour.com:

"She put me under pressure right away in the first set," said Golovin, who now owns a 3-0 record against Sugiyama. "She was playing very aggressively. I was a little distracted also; that was a match that I would have lost last year, but now I was more focused, so I'm proud of myself that I was able to win. "She's such a fighter. With her, you know it's not over until the last point. She moves very well, and it's hard to get the ball past her. My serve was the key again."

Against Mirza, No.3-seeded Golovin will be looking to improve her 0-5 record in Tour semifinals this year, having fallen in the final four at Gold Coast, Paris [Indoors], Charleston, Birmingham and last week in Seoul.

"I haven't really seen her play," said Golovin of Mirza. "I watched a little of her match today when I was waiting to go on. I know she hits a lot of winners and really goes for her shots, so she's going to be tough.

"She beat Zvonareva so she must be in shape and motivated. It will be important for me to be aggressive and keep playing the way I've been playing - stay focused and keep fighting."

wurzelman
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:57 PM
:bounce: Go Tati. Why does she always say her opponents are tough? Is it some kind of confidence booster to know it doesn't matter as much if she loses as it was a tough match:confused:

tennisrulz8
Oct 7th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Good luck Tati! Beat Mirza!

ZAK
Oct 7th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Beat her down ;) :worship: :worship: :drool:

Ceze
Oct 7th, 2005, 11:25 PM
:bounce: Go Tati. Why does she always say her opponents are tough? Is it some kind of confidence booster to know it doesn't matter as much if she loses as it was a tough match:confused:maybe :shrug: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=290#)

Allez Tatiana!!!! :bounce:

rseto
Oct 8th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Good luck to Tati against Mirza. It's important Tati play clean tennis and let Mirza beat herself with unforced errors. Mirza has tremendous power but she doesn't know how to control it. Tatiana knows how to play tennis and control her shots. And she needs to play under control to beat Mirza who will come out firing away and blasting every shot she can. :eek: Udachi Tatiana! :bounce:

nice analysis. hopefully tati can play a consistent match and keep having good service games and she should have a good shot at winning. go win your 1st sf of the year, tati!

beauty_is_pink
Oct 8th, 2005, 02:42 AM
:woohoo:
Tati!!!
awesome awesome!!!
keep it up :kiss:

tennisrulz8
Oct 8th, 2005, 04:12 AM
yay Tati! you almost have it! 62 52 one more game!

yukon145
Oct 8th, 2005, 04:42 AM
YES! Tati into the finals. Golovin def Mirza 6-2, 6-4. Tati had 6-2, 5-0* 40-15 and almost blew it. good thing she didnt. good luck Tati in the finals, you can do it!

rseto
Oct 8th, 2005, 04:56 AM
wow, great win tati! even with the 2nd set and the rain delay, it seemed that she had control of the whole match. didn't think it would be so easy. one more match for your 1st title, tati!

martirogi
Oct 8th, 2005, 05:02 AM
:hug: you can do it tatix

Harju.
Oct 8th, 2005, 06:18 AM
She should have closed the deal at 6-2 6-0 :o. Then again, it's Tati y'all. But I was really positive that she was going to win this one because against someone like Mirza (see Sprem), she just had the advantage because she's way more consistent. I guess she was rushing to close the match as it was going to rain soon and she didn't want to break the momentum, but still, I'm glad she pulled it through :bowdown:

Nikkie/Tati final :hearts:. First final of the season for Tati. Please give us our first title Tati :hearts:

Ceze
Oct 8th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Tati!!!!! :banana: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#):banana: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#):banana: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)

Tati & Dani
Oct 8th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Congratz :bounce:

now please win the final :kiss:

souam
Oct 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM
It's high time you bring a trophy home! :o ;) Alllllllllleeeeeeezzzzzzzz Tati in the final! :bounce:
(and even if you lose not because of choking please :kiss: )

améliemomo
Oct 8th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Allez tati!!kick nicole out of the court and get the trophy!

HTE
Oct 8th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Good win against Sania :yeah: Now please take the title :D

the cat
Oct 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Good lcuk to Tatiana in the Japan open final against Nicole Vaidisova. :) I hope Tati wins her first WTA Tour singles title. But beating Nicole won't be easy. Tatiana needs to play a tremendous match against the very powerful and big serving Vaidisova to upset her. I hope she has it in her. Udachi Tati! :bounce:

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 8th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Centre Court (from 11.00hrs)
1. Singles Final: Golovin vs. Vaidisova
2. ATP Singles Final: Ancic vs. Moodie (NB 12.30hrs)
3. ATP Doubles Final: Arthurs/Hanley or Iwabuchi/Suzuki vs. Aspelin/Perry

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 8th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Golovin crushes Mirza to reach Tokyo final By Fred Varcoe

TOKYO, Oct 8 (Reuters) - Third seed Tatiana Golovin (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/565/) of France swept past India's Sania Mirza (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/461/) 6-2, 6-4 and into the women's final on a windy day at the Japan Open on Saturday.

"I'm really happy... it's going to be really exciting tomorrow," the 17-year-old Golovin said.

[/url] Her opponent in Sunday's final will be second seed Nicole Vaidisova (http://bc.us.yahoo.com/b?P=tN9_bthtfvGAJ7.6QrBWwAR0UDosKkNH2RMABzki&T=140um7jb2%2fX%3d1128782099%2fE%3d95862569%2fR%3d sports%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3 d3695311071%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d59776DD8&U=139qqr77n%2fN%3dzDeCJ9htfZE-%2fC%3d365836.7000534.7958513.1806201%2fD%3dLREC%2 fB%3d2942381) of the Czech Republic who breezed past fourth seed Maria Kirilenko (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/54/) of Russia 6-4 6-2 at Tokyo's Ariake Colosseum.

The eighth-seeded Mirza, who ousted top seed Vera Zvonareva (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/153/) in Thursday's quarter-finals looked out of sorts in the gusty conditions despite vociferous crowd support.

A strong wind made conditions tricky but Golovin kept her cool while Mirza's more attack-minded tactics were out of sync with the conditions.

"The wind affected both of us but I think I dealt with it a little better," Golovin said.

Moscow-born Golovin ended the first set with a stunning drive from outside the right tramlines and streaked into a 5-0 lead in the second set.

With the fans noisily supporting the Indian, Mirza rallied to 5-2 before rain forced the Centre Court roof to be closed.

The Indian superstar quickly put two more games on the scoreboard, but despite loud chants of "Mirza Mirza," she surrendered another service game and with it the match.

GREAT PERSON

"It's always good to have the crowd behind you," Mirza said. "I'm sorry if I let them down. I just wanted to get a game, and then I saw an opening. At 5-4, it could have gone either way."

Sunday's final will be repeat of a first-round match in last year's competition when Golovin was the second seed.

Vaidisova, then only 15, won the match 6-3 6-4.

[u]"You will see a completely different match from last year," Golovin vowed. "You'll see how much we've both improved."

----

I love this new Tati, she sounds so confident :hearts::D ALLEZ!!! :drool:

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM
another article:

An off-colour Sania, who scalped top seed Vera Zovonerava in three sets yesterday, ran out of steam in the first set as the Frenchwoman whizzed through the first set in the tier III WTA tournament.

Sania could not stand to Golovin as unforced errors came back to haunt her at crucial points and lost it 2-6 without a semblance of any fight.

The Indian praised the way her opponent played in the first set saying, ''She was retrieving the balls so well. I started well, but then it got windy, and I think she adjusted to the conditions better than me. She was hitting winners and played a solid match.'' The 37th ranked Sania got her touch back in the second set but her efforts were too little too late.

Sania rallied from behind (5-0) to give a scare to her oponnent in the second set with her lethal forehand winners and she managed to even break her rival twice in the set.

After the brief rain interruption Sania won four games on a trot to claw back into the game 5-4 but a few unforced errors on crucial points halted her progress.

Golovin, world number 25, took a comfortable 40-15 lead in the 10th game before Sania's wide backhand on the third matchpoint handed her the match.

''When I had two match points against me, I played like I had nothing to lose. At 5-4, it could have gone either way, but then I made a couple of loose shots,'' Sania said after the match.

Meanwhile, Golovin had special words for Sania's devastating winners.

''She hits her forehand cross so hard that they are difficult to hit back. I had to play my own game and somehow she started to make unforced errors but that's how tennis goes,'' the Frenchwoman said.

UNI XC SB AK PM1432

am13
Oct 8th, 2005, 03:04 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Great semi-final for Tati ! This end of season 2005 is wonderful !
Mostly, it will be the dream's final tomorrow : Tati/Nikki !!! :hearts:
This is the final between the n°1 and n°2 of under-18 players ! I think we will see this final again and again in the future... Perhaps for the rank of n°1 in the season 2007 (2006 ?)...

ALLEZ TATIANA !!! You can beat her and win your first title !

yukon145
Oct 8th, 2005, 03:05 PM
c'mon Tati! im so glad she made the final, stay focused in the final!

yukon145
Oct 8th, 2005, 03:10 PM
more quotes from Tati:

"Last year was my first year on the tour, so everything was new to me. Now it feels more like I know what I'm doing. I just feel more confident and more at ease when I'm on the court," said Golovin.
"But definitely it's gonna be really, really tough, because Nicole, she's really confident, she feels great out there, she played a great match today.

"I'll just go out there and see how it goes. I have to play some great tennis, because she doesn't play like a 16-year-old, her level is a lot higher than that, so it's definitely gonna be tough," she added.

yukon145
Oct 8th, 2005, 04:11 PM
from wtatour.com:

TOKYO, Japan - In a battle of two teenagers and two of the Sony Ericsson's WTA Tour's brightest prospects, Tatiana Golovin (pictured) and Nicole Vaidisova will square off in Sunday's final of the $170,000 AIG Japan Open. Golovin, 17, is aiming to win her first Tour singles title while Vaidisova, 16, is eyeing her second title in a fortnight and fourth of her career.
This will be the youngest final on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in terms of combined age (34 years, one month) since last year's Birmingham final, when Golovin, then 16, fell to then-17-year-old Maria Sharapova. It is also the equal seventh-youngest final in the history of the Tour; the all-time youngest final being the 1991 San Diego final, when Jennifer Capriati (15 years, four months), defeated Monica Seles (17 years, eight months).

Saturday's first semifinal featured two recent Tour champions - No.4 seed Maria Kirilenko of Russia, winner of the China Open a fortnight ago, and Czech No.2 seed Nicole Vaidisova, last week's Hansol Korea Open titlist in Seoul.

Kirilenko's net game was not as effective as it was in her quarterfinal win over 2002 champion Jill Craybas, while Vaidisova, who struggled to beat Swedish qualifier Sofia Arvidsson on Friday, displayed improved court coverage, getting to many shots that appeared to be likely winners. The 18-year-old Kirilenko also paid the price for some poor shot selection and squandered a lot of important points.

"I think I played a lot better today than yesterday," said Vaidisova, who is through to her third final of 2005 after also finishing runner-up to Venus Williams in Istanbul in May. "I got into my rhythm and was hitting the ball better. I tried to play more to her forehand because I noticed she was struggling with it."

Saturday's semifinals were the first to feature four teenagers since the 's-Hertogenbosch semis in June 2001.

"There's definitely a new wave of tennis," noted Vaidisova. "Hopefully people will see more of the young generation in the next couple of years."

The second all-teen semi saw France's Golovin end the run of 18-year-old Indian star Sania Mirza, 62 64. Golovin had two match points on Mirza's serve at 5-0, 15-40, but Mirza stepped up her game and began to paint the lines with her trademark blazing winners, especially on the forehand.

Golovin was having increasing trouble reading Mirza's game when rain stopped play as the retractable roof over centre court was closed and the court was dried. When play resumed, Mirza picked up where she left off and won two more games to be back on serve at 4-5.

But Mirza slumped to 15-40 in her next service game, and Golovin only needed one of those two match points to reach the final as Mirza hit a loose forehand that sailed over the baseline.

"It was definitely tense," said Golovin. "I had my chances at 5-0, but she played great to get those games. I just stayed in it and fought back and am happy to have gotten through.

"You never know what's going to happen against a player like her. She hits her forehand so hard, so I tried to mix it up and not give her much pace, step in when I had to and put pressure on her. She eventually broke down and starting making more unforced errors."

"She was retrieving the balls so well," said Mirza of Golovin, whom she'd never played before. "I started well, but then it got windy, and I think she adjusted to the conditions better than me. She was hitting winners and played a solid match.

"I don't think I played badly. When I had two match points against me, I played like I had nothing to lose. I just wanted to get a game, and then I saw an opening. At 5-4, it could have gone either way, but then I made a couple of loose shots."

As with most tournaments she plays, even away from her native India where she's a megastar, Mirza had a healthy contingent of Indian supporters in the stands cheering her on.

"It's always good to have a crowd behind you," added Mirza. "It certainly pumps you up. I'm sorry if I let them down, but I'll be back and hope to do better."

"It's always exciting to play in front of fans who really get into the match even if it wasn't for me," said Golovin of the Indian fans. "And it kind of helps because when they were screaming 'Sania, Sania,' I was thinking 'Tania, Tania'!"

Sunday's final between Vaidisova and Golovin will be their second meeting; coincidentally, their first encounter took place here in the second round last year, with Vaidisova winning 64 36 64.

"Last year, I lost to Nicole, but I think people would say that Nicole and I are not playing the same tennis that we played last year," said Golovin. "We're more mature and confident. It was my first year on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, and I think I'm much more different now.

"Tomorrow's match will definitely be different than last year's. People will see how much we improved. It will be a new match between two totally different players."

"I'm definitely excited to be in the final tomorrow and I'll give it my best," said Vaidisova. "She's a good player, so it's going to be a tough match."

Golovin said she needs to be in peak form to win her first title on Sunday.

"I'm feeling good going into the final," she said. "I know it's going to be tough. Nicole is kind of on a roll and has a lot of confidence, so I will have to play great tennis."

JS
Oct 8th, 2005, 04:57 PM
"It's always exciting to play in front of fans who really get into the match even if it wasn't for me," said Golovin of the Indian fans. "And it kind of helps because when they were screaming 'Sania, Sania,' I was thinking 'Tania, Tania'!"
LOL That's a good one Tati, I love it!
Good luck for tomorrow, do your best!

Harju.
Oct 8th, 2005, 05:25 PM

:haha: @ Tati. We should start to call her Tania y'all ;).
"Tomorrow's match will definitely be different than last year's. People will see how much we improved. It will be a new match between two totally different players."

Such confident is needed from Tati. I think she has picked up her confidence alot more since her nice run at Seoul. She should have started playing these lower tiers earlier this season but oh well, these past two weeks have made up for all the first round losses she had for the past couple of months. Allez Tati :yippee: Play your heart out tomorrow. And scream more :hearts:. Do whatever to win that title. Even if you have to take out the voodoo doll again :haha:

She's going to do some damage at Zurich and Philly. I have this feeling.

And btw, she has moved up to #23 with the final appearance. Closing to top 20 since there are only 200 points difference from #16 to #23 and with few wins at the next tournaments, she might be very well close the season inside the top 20.

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM
:haha: @ Tati...

or should I say, Tania? :confused:;)

Mailin
Oct 8th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Tania, Tania, give your best tomorrow :lol:

Harju.
Oct 8th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Tania, Tania, give your best tomorrow :lol:
and yet you have nikkie kissing that trophy on that avatar ;). kidding. i have my final dream match ups. tati/nikkie (and momo/lindsay and akgul/misa )

Mailin
Oct 8th, 2005, 06:45 PM
and yet you have nikkie kissing that trophy on that avatar ;). kidding. i have my final dream match ups. tati/nikkie (and momo/lindsay and akgul/misa )

That's right :p.
But I love them both, whoever will win tomorrow I am happy for her and sad for the other one, but at least will one of my favs win that tournament :)!

ZAK
Oct 8th, 2005, 07:08 PM
:bounce: Viva La Tania:bounce: ALEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :worship: :hearts: :drool:

AK-DH Fan
Oct 8th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Tati- Good luck in the final:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

martirogi
Oct 8th, 2005, 08:23 PM
please dont get nervous tomorrow tania

tennisrulz8
Oct 8th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Allez Tati! Good luck in the final.

wurzelman
Oct 8th, 2005, 09:09 PM
:bounce: well won today
Good Luck tomorrow Tania :kiss:

saby
Oct 8th, 2005, 09:36 PM
I really hope she will win :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

good luck Tati and win your first title :angel:

rseto
Oct 8th, 2005, 10:30 PM
hope tania can play one more good match this week. she'll have to be at her best to beat vaidisova. allez in the finals, tati!

rseto
Oct 9th, 2005, 03:54 AM
well, tati retired from the match against vaidisova, 7-6 3-2. i'm really hoping it doesn't have anything to do with her ankle.

martirogi
Oct 9th, 2005, 03:58 AM
unviva tokyo

yukon145
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:24 AM
well this fucking sucks, it was probally pretty bad if she retired in a final.

rseto
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:26 AM
well this fucking sucks, it was probally pretty bad if she retired in a final.

not to mention that it was a pretty competitive match, especially the 1st set.

g***yimages have some pictures of the match up and the trainer is working on the feet of tati. and her ankles are taped. i don't think they were taped in the earlier rounds. not good. :banghead:

martirogi
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:56 AM
and in those pics her foot looks swollen and HUGE.

yukon145
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:06 AM
getty says it was an injured left big toe. wait, what? what the fuck is that. injured left big toe? yahoo sports just says injured left foot. what ever it is i hope it gets better, and that she didn't retire because she thought she was gonna lose. i know Tati's not like that, but injured left big toe sounds fucking retarded.

yukon145
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:09 AM
wtatour.com says: left achilles tendonitis. that doesn't sound good at all, and really serious. tendonitis at 17? fuck.

rseto
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:19 AM
from a reuters article:

Third seed Golovin took a medical timeout for an Achilles problem after going down 3-1 in the second set and stopped three points into the sixth game.

"After the last few matches I've been waking up with a lot of pain," Golovin said. "Today I really had no choice (but to stop)."

this is shit. sounds like stuff that never goes away.

yukon145
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:21 AM
well i just looked some stuff up and found this:

1. there are new pics of Tati up at getty getting treatment and close ups. she looks upset and its making me sad.
2. after looking at that video of match point against Mirza i think both of Tati's ankles are tapped.
3. after looking at getty pics of the match against Ai, both of Tati's ankles look tape free.

so either Tati really did hurt herself during her fall against Ai towards the end of the quarter final match. or Tati's ankles only hurt day by day, or im looking way too much into this. but anyways im sad for Tati, not because she lost the final but because she's hurt. hopfully she heals and these past 2 weeks of good play aren't lost because of some shitty injury.

rseto
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:33 AM
thanks for the research, yukon145. i just don't like the quote where she says that she was waking up with pain after the last few matches. i really hope she did injure her ankle in the sugiyama match and it got worse. the other alternative is that her feet hurts after playing tennis which might be career threatening.

also earlier in the year, she hurt her right ankle. now it's problems with her left foot. if she's not 100%, i hope she shuts it down for the rest of the year.

Derek.
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Tati.. :sad: A final is good and hope you are ok! :awww: :hug: :)

Harju.
Oct 9th, 2005, 07:02 AM
After playing so well and she had to be hit by injury AGAIN :bigcry:. Agree with rseto, she should just pull out of Zurich and Philly and rest for the new season. Hopefully, we are just overanalyzing and it was just a small injury she had when playing against Ai :scared:

Tati & Dani
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Damn :sobbing:

am13
Oct 9th, 2005, 11:46 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:
It's the worst who can be arrive... I hope it's not so hard...

Harju.
Oct 9th, 2005, 01:20 PM
TOKYO, Japan - In an unfortunate end to a wonderful week highlighting the future stars of women's tennis, France's Tatiana Golovin was forced to retire in the final of the AIG Japan Open against fellow teen Nicole Vaidisova. Golovin, 17, appearing in her second Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles final and aiming for her first title, trailed the 16-year-old Czech 76(4) 32 when a left Achilles tendon injury prevented her from continuing.

"This is my first retirement and hopefully my last because you feel so bad, especially because you just want to keep playing," said Golovin, the No.3 seed.

Golovin had been bothered by the injury for the past three days, but had managed to play through it, scoring wins this week over Abigail Spears, Saori Obata, No.5 seed and two-time former champion Ai Sugiyama and No.8 seed Sania Mirza.

In an evenly contested match, the players traded breaks in the middle of the first set to reach 6-6. Golovin was able to predict Vaidisova's shots and hit winners, but Vaidisova's big serve was key in winning the tie-break, repeatedly putting Golovin on the defensive.

At 3-1 in the second set, Golovin called for the Tour's primary health care provider, Kathy Martin, to attend to a broken toe nail on her left foot. While she was sitting down during the medical time-out, her Achilles tendon tightened up on her, and although she won the next game to get to 2-3, Golovin decided she couldn't play anymore.

"It didn't feel that bad this morning and I thought that it would be okay," said Golovin. "The last three days, I've been feeling (the pain in my Achilles tendon), but I think the adrenaline keeps you going and you sort of forget about it.

"But after I sat down (for the medical time-out), I really felt it and just couldn't go on. I'm sad that I couldn't play. Unfortunately, if it's your Achilles, you feel it all the time; it's not a special movement."

It was the eighth-youngest final on the Tour in the Open Era, with a combined age of 34 years, two months. Last year, a 16-year-old Golovin featured in the third-youngest final, falling to then-17-year-old Maria Sharapova in the Birmingham decider. The all-time youngest final saw Jennifer Capriati (15 years, four months) defeat Monica Seles (17 years, eight months) in the 1991 San Diego final, with a combined age of 33 years.

"I thought it was a good match," said Vaidisova of Sunday's final. "I hope that I would have won anyway, and I think I could have closed it out, but those are just 'maybes.' I thought she was moving really well and got to a lot of balls. I hope that we'll meet again in a final."

In a true showcase of new talent on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, both semifinals were all-teen affairs, with Golovin defeating 18-year-old Mirza and Vaidisova beating Maria Kirilenko, also 18. It was the first time four teenagers reached the semifinals of the same Tour event since 2001 's-Hertogenbosch, when Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Jelena Dokic and Iroda Tulyaganova contested the final four (Henin went on to beat Clijsters in the final).

Vaidisova, who is projected to break into the Top 20 on Monday's Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Singles Rankings, becomes the 15th multiple winner on Tour this season, having collected her first title of 2005 last week in Seoul, Korea. The 16-year-old Czech now owns four Tour singles titles, having won Vancouver and Tashkent last year as a 15-year-old.

"I'm definitely happy," added Vaidisova, who defeated Akiko Morigami, Rika Fujiwara, Sofia Arvidsson and recent Beijing champion Maria Kirilenko to reach the final. "It's great to win two titles this year and two in a row. And it's nice to upgrade (to my first Tier III).

"I think I've been playing more steadily this year. Last year, I would have a good week, then a bad one, but I think this year, I've improved my consistency. I know there is a lot to improve, but I'm happy with my progress so far."

Despite the loss, Golovin was pleased with her efforts this week, even in the final prior to the injury.

"I was kind of ready for how she plays," said Golovin of Vaidisova. "I could pick up a few things about her game and just had to take more advantage of the chances that I had, but I got tired and made some unforced errors. I tried not to give her too many angles but she can get to every ball with her long arms and legs. I tried to hit to her body and keep it deep."

Golovin falls to 0-2 lifetime against Vaidisova, having lost their only prior encounter here last year at the Japan Open in the second round.

"I'm very happy with they way I played this week. I had a lot of good matches and gained a lot of confidence. I think I played a great set and half and did the right things on court. It was nice to come back and do better after last year, so I can now take back some good memories, and hopefully, I'll be back next year."

For winning the title, Vaidisova, now on a 10-match win streak, earned $27,000, while runner-up Golovin took home $14,280.

TatiAnnahølic
Oct 9th, 2005, 01:48 PM
at least she's staying positive :yeah:

Allez Tati! Zurich is yours!!! Viva! :banana:

yukon145
Oct 9th, 2005, 02:24 PM
i also read this tendon injury started at the US Open. well in that article Tati makes it seem like it isn't that big of deal, i hope its not.

i sorta hope Tati pulls out of Zurich, and maybe even Philly. then she can rest and heal and enter an event before the Aussie Open too.

saby
Oct 9th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I can't believe it, it's too bad, i hope she will be fine next week... :angel:

willrock
Oct 9th, 2005, 03:20 PM
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

selyoink
Oct 9th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I hope the injury is not as serious as some of us think.

Tati should probably just take the rest of the season off. I hope she gets well soon.

AK-DH Fan
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Poor Tati, maybe she should take the rest of the year off. To start next year injury free

beauty_is_pink
Oct 9th, 2005, 06:37 PM
this sucks the most cause it's a final... Tati :sad:

she's being such a good sport about this all, very classy girl :)

wurzelman
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:38 PM
At least she has reacted really well to such an annoying injury. She is doing the best thing by staying positive.

rseto
Oct 11th, 2005, 05:24 AM
i have to make a final short positive comment about this tournament. after all the anguish (some of it by me) about the injury, tati did have a pretty good run here. tati was basically playing even with vaidisova for all of the 1st set and she even had some chances to win the set before the tiebreaker. it's great that she was able to hold serve consistently against a good opponent. hope tati can remember and copy how she played these two weeks.