PDA

View Full Version : Accounts of N.Orleans violence questioned

Rocketta
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:13 AM
Accounts of N.Orleans violence questioned

By Daisuke WakabayashiFri Sep 30, 2:13 PM ET

Horrific tales of murder, rape and gang violence emerged from the New Orleans Convention Center and Superdome where survivors from Hurricane Katrina took refuge from floods that devastated the city.

But a month later officials said those stories seem to be exaggerated accounts derived from a chaotic situation, created by uncertainty and paranoia and then escalated by the media and New Orleans officials desperate for help.

Without electricity or basic supplies to sustain the tens of thousands of evacuees, conditions in the shelters soon spiraled out of control, with the Louisiana National Guard vastly outnumbered by those fleeing the floods.

"It was horrible. There was trash everywhere. There were people everywhere. So hot. So filthy. And people at their most desperate," said Maj. Ed Bush of the Louisiana National Guard, who entered the Superdome the night Katrina made landfall on August 29.

"Certainly, it was kind of believable and it was the setting for that kind of behavior. It just festered and it never went away."

Bush admits there were "bad dudes" inside the Superdome and there was evidence of violence as the situation worsened, but neither he nor the military police officers who constantly patrolled the cavernous building found evidence of mass murder and rape.

Despite reports of a freezer containing 30 to 40 corpses, the official combined death toll from the Superdome and Convention Center was 10, according to state officials. Of those deaths, two were believed to have been murders.

"That suggests to me that the claims that there were lots of killings at the two major shelters were exaggerated," New Orleans District Attorney Eddie Jordan told CNN.

Possibly the most gruesome story of a little girl gang-raped then murdered in the Superdome appears to be untrue. Jordan said there had been no reports of rape, while coroners have not found a young girl's body in the sports stadium.

As of Friday, Katrina-related deaths in Louisiana, including those in the city of New Orleans, totaled 932.

MAYOR FUELS MYTHS

Bush, who spent eight days in the Superdome, said New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and former Police Chief Eddie Compass had not helped matters by repeating reports of killings and rape to national media.

"There were people who made statements to the press representing New Orleans and Louisiana who really didn't know what the facts were. I think they were trying to paint a very very grim picture to get help here," said Bush.

When evacuees heard the mayor's comments and other media reports over the radio, it only made matters worse inside the Superdome and the Convention Center, he said.

Mayor Nagin, who has come under fire for not ordering the mandatory evacuation of New Orleans early enough, did not back down from his comments.

"I was in the moment. When I talked to people in the Superdome, I was getting a much different story," Nagin told reporters earlier this week.

The media has also been criticized for playing a role in spreading stories based on hearsay, but some media analysts disagree.

"I do not think the media was irresponsible, because they had sources as high as the New Orleans police chief and the mayor. In fact, it would have been irresponsible not to report it," said David Rubin, dean of the Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University.

Rocketta
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:16 AM
I for one am very glad most of these stories have been shown to be untrue but I can say I heard about rape and murder way before the Mayor said it. The media was way to hyper to show the NOLO people in the worst light possible and clearly no one bothered to find someone who actually saw some of these bad things...it was usually I heard people were getting raped so we left.

I'm actually estatic those stories weren't true..:hatoff:

kiwifan
Oct 1st, 2005, 05:25 AM
Lifts my spirits, although I wonder if the message will ever reach the masses. :shrug:

SelesFan70
Oct 1st, 2005, 09:30 PM
Not surprising. :rolleyes: No way an entire city descends into chaos the way it was portrayed. Now the question is...why did the media believe it was true? :tape:

marmite1
Oct 1st, 2005, 09:37 PM
Not surprising. :rolleyes: No way an entire city descends into chaos the way it was portrayed. Now the question is...why did the media believe it was true? :tape:

It sells. And, neo-conservatism.

Staticbeef
Oct 1st, 2005, 10:32 PM

Maybe they took one of Bennets classes ;)

Cariaoke
Oct 1st, 2005, 10:42 PM
:haha:

I guess it's easy to believe it when the people in question are the usual scapegoats for social ills in a society...

and by that I mean the poor.

Rocketta
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:08 PM
Yeah I can see how rumor could escalate amongst the people in that situation but I don't understand the media's need to show the worst side of people. :(

Cariaoke
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:28 PM
i guess people need to feel superior. the same reason why tabloids are popular.

Wigglytuff
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:31 PM
am i the only one who is having a hard time believe the bush adminstrations reports... mostly because i dont think they have ever said anything that wasnt true.

but also because i remember the mayor saying that he saw children being raped with his own eyes.

i know what the bush administration has to gain from saying these things didnt happen but was does the mayor have to gain from saying they did?

also i think the arguement that if these reports are false it proves that poor people are well behaved is extremely stupid.

1-because rape and murder happen on all class levels and in races in america
2-because poor people are not all one unit, there are so bad apples as well as good ones.
3-because if it is true, it is just another excuse to prevent survivors of this kind of assualt from getting they kind of care they will need.
4-if people feel that the fact that some poor people are villians means that ALL the people are villians that just evil.

and one more thing to consider,
http://www.mapsexoffenders.com/

sex offenders are everywhere, and i have seen nothing to back the admins claims that they were protecting the dome from the offenders that were there.

Cariaoke
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:38 PM
er... I think everyone knows that rape happens in all class levels but the STEREOTYPE of SEXUAL OFFENDERS are that they are black, poor, naturally violent, etc.

Who was shown on tv... black and obviously poor people.

I'm sure someone was raped and murdered. But I seriously doubt the amount of mayhem simply because people were seeking shelter. It wasn't a war where rape and such are "useful" to defeat the enemy. I hope people were more concerned about getting food and water than scouting out victims.

Cariaoke
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:43 PM
furthermore, if the mayor saw children being raped... did he pop popcorn and watch? :scratch:

Wigglytuff
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:52 PM
furthermore, if the mayor saw children being raped... did he pop popcorn and watch? :scratch:
he talked about a number of times but i saw it on oprah, if i remember correctly he claims that there were gang member there who were armed and he was alone.

Wigglytuff
Oct 1st, 2005, 11:58 PM
er... I think everyone knows that rape happens in all class levels but the STEREOTYPE of SEXUAL OFFENDERS are that they are black, poor, naturally violent, etc.

Who was shown on tv... black and obviously poor people.

I'm sure someone was raped and murdered. But I seriously doubt the amount of mayhem simply because people were seeking shelter. It wasn't a war where rape and such are "useful" to defeat the enemy. I hope people were more concerned about getting food and water than scouting out victims.
NOTHING about what happened in N.O. was believable. NOTHING. not the way people were left to die like animals, or anything else.

but its right there on film.

the thing is that the national guard refused to let cameras inside the dome, if everyone who was there says its because of the rape and murder that was going on, and the bush admin says nothing was going on. who am i too believe? people who were there and have nothing to gain from lying, or people who have everything to gain from lying?

hablo
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:02 AM
NOTHING about what happened in N.O. was believable. NOTHING. not the way people were left to die like animals, or anything else.

the thing is that the national guard refused to let cameras inside the dome, if everyone who was there says its because of the rape and murder that was going on, and the bush admin says nothing was going on. who am i too believe? people who were there and have nothing to gain from lying, or people who have everything to gain from lying?

I agree ... I don't see what people gained from making this stuff up ... :scratch:

Wigglytuff
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
also a search of just one N.O. zip code (70113) found over 50 registered sex offenders.

yeah, personally i would like to see all sex offenders in the 63 zip codes in new orleans (50 x 63 = 3150 :scared: ) tracked and interviewed and documented.

Rocketta
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:08 AM
I have that Oprah on tape it's at work so I can't watch it today but I don't think the Mayor said he saw babies getting raped I thought he said he heard that and knowing he couldn't do anything about it was what was hurting him...

also, it was the police chief who said he saw gang members with guns who went after him.....I don't think there is anything in this report that says gangs did not go unchecked after the storm....it just talks about rapes and murders not being as rampant as reported.

Staticbeef
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:24 AM
I have that Oprah on tape it's at work so I can't watch it today but I don't think the Mayor said he saw babies getting raped I thought he said he heard that and knowing he couldn't do anything about it was what was hurting him...

also, it was the police chief who said he saw gang members with guns who went after him.....I don't think there is anything in this report that says gangs did not go unchecked after the storm....it just talks about rapes and murders not being as rampant as reported.
I saw so much footage, I think it was on CNN where a police officer said it never happened, that he and his men were in the superdome and yes thre were fights, but no rapes. Something else that disturbs me is all the accounts of bodies being desecrated, they showed some bodies but dint elaborate

Cariaoke
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:27 AM

and this is what i'm agreeing with because it makes sense and is pretty logical.

sensationalism in a time of panic shouldn't be a surprise.

Cariaoke
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:32 AM
also a search of just one N.O. zip code (70113) found over 50 registered sex offenders.

yeah, personally i would like to see all sex offenders in the 63 zip codes in new orleans (50 x 63 = 3150 :scared: ) tracked and interviewed and documented.
what about the ones that aren't caught...

there are about 12 KNOWN ones that live within a 15 mile radius of me... but those are the only ones who were convicted of a crime. the ones who were accused of or ones that weren't even charged are free and undocumented...

good luck with finding THOSE sickos.

Wigglytuff
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:33 AM

he said he saw babies being raped. i remember because he used the word "babies" and him and oprah started crying.

i dont remember though want exactly he said he did about. i thought he had said there were gang members who recognized him, but i could be wrong.

Wigglytuff
Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:38 AM
what about the ones that aren't caught...

there are about 12 KNOWN ones that live within a 15 mile radius of me... but those are the only ones who were convicted of a crime. the ones who were accused of or ones that weren't even charged are free and undocumented...

good luck with finding THOSE sickos.
i dont understand what the point of this post was.

70113 this was the zip code in N.O. and the source for the search http://www.mapsexoffenders.com/

and this is the site used to find the N.O. zip codes http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown.jsp

Lord Nelson
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:43 PM

don't be such a sore loser. You were wrong on this one yet again. :)

Wigglytuff
Oct 2nd, 2005, 03:17 PM
don't be such a sore loser. You were wrong on this one yet again. :)
:eek: :help: :retard: