PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP----Problems

Rocketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I've had the hardest time getting Windows xp installed on my older PC....I kept getting a blue screen saying my chipset was bad.....so I bought and installed another motherboard....reinstalled 98 and then went to install Windows xp....it still gave me a crazy error.

Could the problem possibly in a bad cd......even the very first time I installed it I got a can't copy "xxx" file error but then I tried it again and it went through but then the system crashed and I haven't been able to get it installed again. I got new Ram (well it was still under warrenty and I made them replace it). So I know it's not the hardware. Here's the specs of my motherboard....

Audio Sub Systems:Creative Ensonique 1373 PCI Audio National Semiconductor LM4548 CODEC

Cache:On Processor

Communication Port:1-16C550A UART'S -9 pin D-Sub

Communication Port:1-Parallel Port

Communication Port:ECP

Communication Port:EPP

Communication Port:SPP

CPU Chip Set:Via VT82C694X AGP4X NB

Expansion Slots:6 PCI, 1 AGP

Floppy Drive Interface:1-Floppy Drive

I/O Chip Set:Winbond ‘977 Super I/O chipset

IDE Chipset:Via VT82C596 B ATA-66 SB

Maximum Memory:768 MB

Memory Size/Type:ECC/Non-ECC, unbuffered, VCM

Primary IDE Type:ATAPI Devices, Modes 3/4 IDE, Bus mastering, Ultra DMA/66 Sychronous DMA Mode Transfers

Processor Type:Pentium II/III/Celeron

Secondary IDE Type:ATAPI Devices, Modes 3/4 IDE, Bus mastering, Ultra DMA/66 Sychronous DMA Mode Transfers

Socket Type:SECC/Socket 370

Universal Serial Bus (USB):2 Stacked Standard USB Ports

Video System:N/A

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:20 PM
you don't have a video card? :eek:

SelesFan70
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Can you jump from W98 to XP?

controlfreak
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:34 PM
What is the processor and how much RAM is there?

If it's a really old pc it's not even worth installing xp. I tried it on a 400MHz Celeron w/ 192MB RAM and it ran like a piece of poo on a stick.

Rocketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM
It's a pentium III 880 mhz, with a video card...only the sound card is integrated. It should be able to upgrade to windows xp...

Rocketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I'm starting to think the winXP cd is defective.

Fingon
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I've had the hardest time getting Windows xp installed on my older PC....I kept getting a blue screen saying my chipset was bad.....so I bought and installed another motherboard....reinstalled 98 and then went to install Windows xp....it still gave me a crazy error.

Could the problem possibly in a bad cd......even the very first time I installed it I got a can't copy "xxx" file error but then I tried it again and it went through but then the system crashed and I haven't been able to get it installed again. I got new Ram (well it was still under warrenty and I made them replace it). So I know it's not the hardware. Here's the specs of my motherboard....

Audio Sub Systems:Creative Ensonique 1373 PCI Audio National Semiconductor LM4548 CODEC

Cache:On Processor

Communication Port:1-16C550A UART'S -9 pin D-Sub

Communication Port:1-Parallel Port

Communication Port:ECP

Communication Port:EPP

Communication Port:SPP

CPU Chip Set:Via VT82C694X AGP4X NB

Expansion Slots:6 PCI, 1 AGP

Floppy Drive Interface:1-Floppy Drive

I/O Chip Set:Winbond ‘977 Super I/O chipset

IDE Chipset:Via VT82C596 B ATA-66 SB

Maximum Memory:768 MB

Memory Size/Type:ECC/Non-ECC, unbuffered, VCM

Primary IDE Type:ATAPI Devices, Modes 3/4 IDE, Bus mastering, Ultra DMA/66 Sychronous DMA Mode Transfers

Processor Type:Pentium II/III/Celeron

Secondary IDE Type:ATAPI Devices, Modes 3/4 IDE, Bus mastering, Ultra DMA/66 Sychronous DMA Mode Transfers

Socket Type:SECC/Socket 370

Universal Serial Bus (USB):2 Stacked Standard USB Ports

Video System:N/A

do you have a new Windows XP or an old one?

is it SP1, SP2 or the original version?
This is not documented anywhere that I know of, but apparently there is a problem with system hardware drivers for old system in the original version of XP.

The reason why I say that is, I installed it on an old machine that was running ME without any problems. XP installed fine but from time to time the system would crash, blue screen, memory failure system halted, and it would recommend to check the hardware because it was damaged.
I would run testing software that would not find a problem with the hardware.
When I installed SP2, the problem went away, so my guess is that there was a faulty memory driver for that kind of ram that was fixed later on.
That can be your problem, it might not be able to load the some system drivers and the the OS will crash (one question I should have asked is if the crash happens before or after it loads the OS, during installation, it first install the basic files needed to boot from the harddrive and then it reboots the machine and continues installation, if the crash happens before that reboot then it's not the driver.)
Another possibility is that your hardware is not XP compatible, for that you would have to go to the Microsoft site and go to the Windows XP page and find the hardware compatibility table, if it's too old it might not be compatible at all.

Fingon
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:57 PM
you don't have a video card? :eek:

no, it means it doesn't have a video card intgrated on the mother board.

Rocketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 07:04 PM
do you have a new Windows XP or an old one?

is it SP1, SP2 or the original version?
This is not documented anywhere that I know of, but apparently there is a problem with system hardware drivers for old system in the original version of XP.

The reason why I say that is, I installed it on an old machine that was running ME without any problems. XP installed fine but from time to time the system would crash, blue screen, memory failure system halted, and it would recommend to check the hardware because it was damaged.
I would run testing software that would not find a problem with the hardware.
When I installed SP2, the problem went away, so my guess is that there was a faulty memory driver for that kind of ram that was fixed later on.
That can be your problem, it might not be able to load the some system drivers and the the OS will crash (one question I should have asked is if the crash happens before or after it loads the OS, during installation, it first install the basic files needed to boot from the harddrive and then it reboots the machine and continues installation, if the crash happens before that reboot then it's not the driver.)
Another possibility is that your hardware is not XP compatible, for that you would have to go to the Microsoft site and go to the Windows XP page and find the hardware compatibility table, if it's too old it might not be compatible at all.

hmm, it's xp service pack 2...

It's weird because it loaded twice but now I can't get it to load. It happens in the installation.

It's given me an array of different errors...now it's saying Page_Fault_IN_NonPage_Area