PDA

View Full Version : Bennett’s remarks on blacks, crime stir outrage

Infiniti2001
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Ex-education secretary seeks to clarify comments on aborting black babies

Updated: 7:16 p.m. ET Sept. 29, 2005
WASHINGTON - Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and other Democrats on Thursday demanded that former Education Secretary William Bennett apologize for remarks on his radio program linking the crime rate and the abortion of black babies.

Bennett responded that the comments, made Wednesday on his “Morning in America” show, had been mischaracterized and that his point was that the idea of supporting abortion to reduce crime was “morally reprehensible.”

The author of “The Book of Virtues,” answering a caller’s question, took issue with the hypothesis put forth in a recent book that one reason crime is down is that abortion is up.

“But I do know that it’s true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could, if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down,” Bennett said.

He went on to call that “an impossible, ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.”

On his show Thursday, Bennett, who opposes abortion, said he was “pointing out that abortion should not be opposed for economic reasons any more than racism ... should be supported or opposed for economic reasons. Immoral policies are wrong because they are wrong, not because of an economic calculation.”

Reid, D-Nev., said he was “appalled by Mr. Bennett’s remarks” and called on him “to issue an immediate apology not only to African Americans but to the nation.”

Rep. Raum Emanuel, D-Ill., said in a statement, “At the very time our country yearns for national unity in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, these comments reflect a spirit of hate and division.”

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9535204/

Bill Bennett: "[Y]ou could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down"

Click Play to listen to this audio clip
Problems? Download this clip here
Addressing a caller's suggestion that the "lost revenue from the people who have been aborted in the last 30 years" would be enough to preserve Social Security's solvency, radio host and former Reagan administration Secretary of Education Bill Bennett dismissed such "far-reaching, extensive extrapolations" by declaring that if "you wanted to reduce crime ... if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down." Bennett conceded that aborting all African-American babies "would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do," then added again, "but the crime rate would go down."

Bennett's remark was apparently inspired by the claim that legalized abortion has reduced crime rates, which was posited in the book Freakonomics (William Morrow, May 2005) by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. But Levitt and Dubner argued that aborted fetuses would have been more likely to grow up poor and in single-parent or teenage-parent households and therefore more likely to commit crimes; they did not put forth Bennett's race-based argument.

From the September 28 broadcast of Salem Radio Network's Bill Bennett's Morning in America:

CALLER: I noticed the national media, you know, they talk a lot about the loss of revenue, or the inability of the government to fund Social Security, and I was curious, and I've read articles in recent months here, that the abortions that have happened since Roe v. Wade, the lost revenue from the people who have been aborted in the last 30-something years, could fund Social Security as we know it today. And the media just doesn't -- never touches this at all.

BENNETT: Assuming they're all productive citizens?

CALLER: Assuming that they are. Even if only a portion of them were, it would be an enormous amount of revenue.

BENNETT: Maybe, maybe, but we don't know what the costs would be, too. I think as -- abortion disproportionately occur among single women? No.

CALLER: I don't know the exact statistics, but quite a bit are, yeah.

BENNETT: All right, well, I mean, I just don't know. I would not argue for the pro-life position based on this, because you don't know. I mean, it cuts both -- you know, one of the arguments in this book Freakonomics that they make is that the declining crime rate, you know, they deal with this hypothesis, that one of the reasons crime is down is that abortion is up. Well --

CALLER: Well, I don't think that statistic is accurate.

BENNETT: Well, I don't think it is either, I don't think it is either, because first of all, there is just too much that you don't know. But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

Bill Bennett's Morning in America airs on approximately 115 radio stations with an estimated weekly audience of 1.25 million listeners.

You can read the full text and listen to the asshole here http://mediamatters.org/items/200509280006

Knizzle
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:14 AM
*sigh* I can't let another idiot get to me. NEXT

Infiniti2001
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:15 AM
So what else should we expect from this man who wrote a whole book whining that victimless crimes like smoking pot are bad because they lower the tone of society? :rolls: Meanwhile , he spends most of his time gambling away :fiery:

Black Mamba.
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Whether this guy wants to admit it or not he basically said that Blacks, especially low income Blacks are the only criminals in the country. If you notice he didn't say if you kill all the white kids crime would go down. He purposely said Black children because he knows the stereotypical face of Black America especially of Black males is one of an angry, violent, and abusive person. He is playing to the false perceptions many Americans have of Blacks and he is wrong.

Stamp Paid
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Wouldn't aborting all white babies have the same effect?

Infiniti2001
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:30 AM
This is the sellout behavior I talk about. This guy like so many Blacks in power sell our race down the river for their own personal gain or to say the things some of their backers are afraid to say. Whether this guy wants to admit it or not he basically said that Blacks, especially low income Blacks are the only criminals in the country. If you notice he didn't say if you kill all the white kids crime would go down. He purposely said Black children because he knows the stereotypical face of Black America especially of Black males is one of an angry, violent, and abusive person. He is playing to the false perceptions many Americans have of Blacks and he is wrong.

I don't understand :eek: William "virtuous" Bennette is a white male.
http://mediamatters.org/static/video/bill-bennett.jpg

Black Mamba.
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:36 AM
I don't understand :eek: William "virtuous" Bennette is a white male.
http://mediamatters.org/static/video/bill-bennett.jpg

I'm really ticked off tonight. Even though he isn't black my statement about sellout Black leaders is still the same.

SelesFan70
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:48 AM

Exactly! :retard:

Black Mamba.
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Killing White babies probably would have the same effect, but he didn't say Black babies on accident.

serenafan08
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Thank you!

kiwifan
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Howard Stern played this on his show the last couple of days.

He also played a clip of Rush Limbaugh calling the New Orleans Mayor, "Mayor Nager" (didn't sound like a slip of the tongue either more like a play on words...and what words could they be? :tape: )

And Rush also calling a white Dem a "Spear Chucker".

Seems like Right Wing Media types are starting to openly pander to their white hooded listeners :lol:

Wigglytuff
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:24 AM
i dont think that was the arguement in freakomics, that its mostly poor single mothers, i thought it was that women all across the broad who seek abortions do so because they can not provide safe loving homes for thier children and children who grow up being resented and hated are more likely to commit crime.

Wigglytuff
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Killing White babies probably would have the same effect, but he didn't say Black babies on accident.
:worship: :worship:

Black Mamba.
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Howard Stern played this on his show the last couple of days.

He also played a clip of Rush Limbaugh calling the New Orleans Mayor, "Mayor Nager" (didn't sound like a slip of the tongue either more like a play on words...and what words could they be? :tape: )

And Rush also calling a white Dem a "Spear Chucker".

Seems like Right Wing Media types are starting to openly pander to their white hooded listeners :lol:

It fits right in with their Southern Strategy. Rush is a racist piece of crap that plays to the large racist element of our society.

harloo
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Hear what he said with your own ears:

Radio Clip
http://mediamatters.org/items/200509280006

The thing that gets me is that he was so calm about it. And many people wonder why the Republicans get a bad rap from African Americans in ths country.:rolleyes:

decemberlove
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:41 AM
Ha. Freakonomics. :lol: :haha:

:rolleyes:

Justeenium
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:53 PM

not in proportion to population

Wigglytuff
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:50 PM
not in proportion to population
and the award for the most racist poster goes to ....

(i find funny that if i remember correctly you claim to be a Christian. please note you are not. Jesus was no racist, and would not approve any racist bs)

Wigglytuff
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Ha. Freakonomics. :lol: :haha:

:rolleyes:

freakonomics is a sound scientific text. some people, like mr. Bennett, dont have the high intellectual skills needed to understand it.

marmite1
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:55 PM

(i find funny that if i remember correctly you claim to be a Christian. please note you are not. Jesus was no racist, and would not approve any racist bs)

This poster has no argument. They tried to prove they were right by showing statistics of the victims :lol: how are the race of the victims related to whether black people are to blame for crime?

hablo
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:56 PM

got that right!

hablo
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:57 PM
This poster has no argument. They tried to prove they were right by showing statistics of the victims :lol: how are the race of the victims related to whether black people are to blame for crime?
just of curiosity why do you keep writing "they"?? it's just one poster?? :p

marmite1
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:59 PM
just of curiosity why do you keep writing "they"?? it's just one poster?? :p

You can use they as a gender neutral word for one person. I dont know whether they are a he/she and it saves me from typing he/she everytime.

hablo
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:01 PM
You can use they as a gender neutral word for one person. I dont know whether they are a he/she and it saves me from typing he/she everytime.
I didn't know that you can use they in such a way :p
It's quite unusual!! ;)

marmite1
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:03 PM
It's quite unusual!! ;)

For example: they are reading a book ;)

:lol: The english language is a bizzare thing. And my grammar and punctuation are truly awful.

hablo
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:05 PM
For example: they are reading a book ;)

:lol: The english language is a bizzare thing. And my grammar and punctuation are truly awful.

;)

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:05 PM
you know... he is very right....

If you could abort every black baby.. it would go down...

If you could abort also every hispanic baby... it would go down....

If you could abourt also every white baby... it would go down...

If you could abort every baby... it would go down..

So there is nothing so clever in his commentary consdiering that the forced extintion of a race would decrease the population of the same as well as any demographic number concerning the same race. Just the racism in it is what makes it so negative.

Wigglytuff
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:11 PM
It's quite unusual!! ;)
in new york city everyone uses "they" this way. to mean one gender neutral person.

hablo
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:18 PM
in new york city everyone uses "they" this way. to mean one gender neutral person.
still unusual :shrug:

marmite1
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:22 PM

Possibly a Canadian thing ;)

Wigglytuff
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:24 PM
:nerner: :ras:

well i think you are unusual! and we new yorkers are perfectly usually.

hablo
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:25 PM
:nerner: :ras:

well i think you are unusual! and we new yorkers are perfectly usually.
I had some NYorker friends, never heard that use of 'they' before :p :lol: :ras:

hablo
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Possibly a Canadian thing ;)
I still think it's strange to call one poster 'they' but I guess it's just me; I won't speak for other canadians !! ;)

Wigglytuff
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I had some NYorker friends, never heard that use of 'they' before :p :lol: :ras:
i reject your reality and substitute my own. :nerner: :wavey: :bounce:

marmite1
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:31 PM

They know the gender of the person they are talking about?

Justeenium
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:31 PM

jigglypuff you're probably the most racist poster on this board behind denise and dawn marie.

b. I never ever claimed to be Christian (well as far as i know)

link please?

Wigglytuff
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:33 PM
jigglypuff you're probably the most racist poster on this board behind denise and dawn marie.

b. I never ever claimed to be Christian (well as far as i know)

link please?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hablo
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:35 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree!! talk about being in denial :scratch::lol:

Wigglytuff
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:44 PM
I agree!! talk about being in denial :scratch::lol:

and me a racist? have you heard something so INSANE!!! thats just craziness. me a racist!!! thats not even worth addressing.

i mean they are so many things you could say about me, that are true. why say something so crazy, so blatantly untrue. its just a juvenile attempt to avoid facing what he said.

marmite1
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I wasn't you the racist!!! omg!!! :o:o:o
I was agreeing/laughing with you at what the other poster had suggested :banghead::help:

I think they new that.

hablo
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:48 PM
I think they new that.
I'm not so sure "they" did !!!!!

ok, maybe I misread he/she's post :lol:

marmite1
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:49 PM

:p

Cariaoke
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I think she, yes Jigglypuff is female, was talking about justanidiot, hablovah.

speaking of idiots, i don't use "they", i use "it". More effective... :cool:

:wavey:

marmite1
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:52 PM

Some people find it degrading :lol:

hablo
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:54 PM

ok, oops :lol:

Wigglytuff
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:55 PM
I think they new that.
yes i was agreeing iwth hablovah19, about justanidiot.

Cariaoke
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Some people find it degrading :lol:
precisely... :cool:

hablo
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:56 PM
yes i was agreeing iwth hablovah19, about justanidiot.
oops, I guess the use of "they" confused me :p

Wigglytuff
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:57 PM

ok, maybe I misread he/she's post :lol:

i was agreeing with you about justanidiot

wta_zuperfann
Oct 1st, 2005, 01:55 AM
William Bennett and the Christian {sic} Coalition ultra right = this trash is just par for the course for those Nazis.

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 1st, 2005, 02:02 AM
What a stupid son-of-a-bitch.

Everyone knows that the biggest criminals are in corporate boardrooms and in Washington, D.C. Include the lobbyists as well.

The problem being that an impoverished man stealing food for his family can get years in prison, while a corporate CEO that stoled millions from employee's retirement only gets a fraction of that sentence, if not probation.

hablo
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:30 PM
bump.

just so that posters can hear him make his comments with that link :fiery:

Ceze
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:37 PM
i was agreeing with you about justanidiot:lol: :lol: :worship: