PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Network: For a Mac & PC

Rocketta
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:26 PM
any suggestions of what specs I should look for?

My house is kind of big, not super big but big, It's shaped like an L and the router will be located where the two lines meet.....basically halfway...

Pengwin
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:27 PM
So what do you want to find out?

Rocketta
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:28 PM
So what do you want to find out?

any suggestions of what specs I should look for?

Pengwin
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:32 PM
In a router or in a house?

Rocketta
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:37 PM
In a router or in a house?

in a router of course.....

controlfreak
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:28 AM
802.11b for maximum 11Mbps bandwidth - fine for web/email
802.11g for maximum 54Mbps - better for big file transfers and downloads
a built-in firewall could be useful
also you need to check if it's just a router or a modem/router
compatibility should be fine

Rocketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:30 AM
802.11b for maximum 11Mbps bandwidth - fine for web/email
802.11g for maximum 54Mbps - better for big file transfers and downloads
a built-in firewall could be useful
also you need to check if it's just a router or a modem/router
compatibility should be fine

I have a cable modem......so what's the diffence between a router and a modem/router?

Rocketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:31 AM
and yeah I will want one for large file transfers......

nigel - dani fan
Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:34 PM
I have a cable modem......so what's the diffence between a router and a modem/router?

modem/routers have the modem built-in. most commonly for DSL - for
people (like me) who upgrade dial-up lines to broadband.
other routers use an external modem (and sometimes have provision for a backup connection, e.g. a dial-up for when the main connection is down).

As regards the wireless connection, it depends on how far you need it to cov er, and if there's much metalwork, etc. that might screen the signal - might need an external aerial to (a) provide better gain, and (b) to allow it to be positioned for best results, especially when you're limited as to where to put the router (i.e. close to the modem/phone point).

The other concern with wireless networks is the security - make sure it can do at least 128-bit encryption, and preferably with a built-in SPI & NAT firewall. If you're going to use several PCs (or MACs) and aren't using a server, DHCP will be useful as well.

Rocketta
Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:17 PM
modem/routers have the modem built-in. most commonly for DSL - for
people (like me) who upgrade dial-up lines to broadband.
other routers use an external modem (and sometimes have provision for a backup connection, e.g. a dial-up for when the main connection is down).

As regards the wireless connection, it depends on how far you need it to cov er, and if there's much metalwork, etc. that might screen the signal - might need an external aerial to (a) provide better gain, and (b) to allow it to be positioned for best results, especially when you're limited as to where to put the router (i.e. close to the modem/phone point).

The other concern with wireless networks is the security - make sure it can do at least 128-bit encryption, and preferably with a built-in SPI & NAT firewall. If you're going to use several PCs (or MACs) and aren't using a server, DHCP will be useful as well.

ah, thanks for the info......:hatoff:

pla
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:13 AM
ah, thanks for the info......:hatoff:

You can also ensure yourself to use encryption. Cause otherwise you're network will be open for everyone with a computer and a wireless card around you. ;)

Rocketta
Oct 4th, 2005, 05:18 PM
well when I finally buy one I will definitely be calling on y'all for some help! :D

Zhao
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:42 PM
which brand r u going for??
Linksys??d-link???netgear???

harloo
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:01 PM
I use linksys, it was easy to set up. I had to open ports for some of my programs because the router was blocking them.:(

Rocketta
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:03 PM
which brand r u going for??
Linksys??d-link???netgear???

is there a bid difference in quality of those companies?

basically I'm going for "what's on sale when I have the money" brand. :D