PDA

View Full Version : Anybody who lives in/has been to Australia please come in (I'm going for a semester)

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Hey all :)
So I'm going to go abroad in early February for a semester and after talking to a bunch of people and contemplating studying in just about every part of the world, I've decided on Australia. The decision now is whether to go to Sydney or Melbourne.

Both places, from what I've heard sound amazing. If you've been there/live there though, can you give me a sense of the vibe there? Is it bustling, easy going, snobby, friendly, cultured, gay friendly etc etc. Also, are there any tennis clubs within the city that you know of? I'm assuming there are, but I want to find people to hit with because I'm not putting down the racket for four months!

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks :)

Barrie_Dude
Sep 30th, 2005, 02:25 AM
I was in Sydney in 2000 for the Olympics!

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:12 AM
I live in Melbourne. :D

It's pretty laid back here. There is a gay scene, although I dunno how it is compraed to Sydney (I would say theirs is much bigger). I think mosy people in Australia are friendly,so I don't think it matters if you are in Sydney or Melbourne. I have only had limited experience with Sydney (I reckon I've probably spent up to a week there, and that's all).

And of course, in both cities there are heaps of tennis clubs. In Melbourne you can also play at Melbourne Park (although not in late Dec/Jan and Feb coz of the AO of course and they also have the wheelchair AO after that). ;)

Hope that helps a bit! :D

nitocris_tiger
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Sydney is the biggest and busiest city. It is fast paced, and has more glitz and glam. It is the gay capital of Aus.

Melbourne is more sophisticated (which other cities confuse with arrogance) and laid back. It is the sporting capital of Aus and has the best live music scene.

Both cities have plenty of tennis courts!

Ems__
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:55 AM
I live in neither city but visit both very often but go to Melbourne!! You will not regret it. I mean Sydney is nice, its got two very famous landmarks; opera house and harbour bridge but there's definately just something about Melbourne. The city has charm and style. Take my word for it, you'll love it! :D

PaulieM
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:58 AM
i wish i was going to australia

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:04 AM
OK, we can include Auckland as well. I'm backtracking now haha.

Basically I'm looking for a city that's cultural and modern and fun but not overwhelming. I think Auckland is a good candidate for that. I feel as though Melbourne is a Manhattan transplanted in Australia (from what I've heard). I may be wrong though.

So anybody who's been to or lives in Auckland, shoot as well.

Ems__
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:13 AM
I used to live in New Zealand and i've been to Auckland, its a really great city, smaller than Melbourne and Sydney but nonetheless nice. If you're already thinking about NZ I'd suggest Wellington as well, its got the nature and the cultural and modern feel.

Hachiko
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:23 AM
I live in Newcastle, but I prefer Melbourne over Sydney.

Melbourne, I think, is much more laid-back, but I think it's more beautiful. Sydney is noisy ... and everytime I go there it's always just too busy. I seriously think about 40% of the people there are of Asian-origin. In Melbourne, it's more multicultural ... not that there is anything wrong with either of these at all!

There's something about Melbourne I like more ... I don't know what it is though, lol. But I recommend Melbourne!

Hayato
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:24 AM
I live in Lake Macquarie which is about 2 hours north of Sydney. I have been to Sydney at least 10 times and Melbourne twice and both are great cities. Unfortunately, I don't know any tennis clubs in Sydney. However, I can tell you that the Sydney residents are all very friendly except when it comes to on the road- they aren't the best drivers in the world :lol: As long as you know what you're doing, you will be fine :)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:28 AM
OK, we can include Auckland as well. I'm backtracking now haha.

Basically I'm looking for a city that's cultural and modern and fun but not overwhelming. I think Auckland is a good candidate for that. I feel as though Melbourne is a Manhattan transplanted in Australia (from what I've heard). I may be wrong though.

So anybody who's been to or lives in Auckland, shoot as well.

I dunno what Manhattan is like, but I get the impression it's a bit "crazy" there, I don't think Melbourne is like that.

Prizeidiot
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Sydney is the biggest and busiest city. It is fast paced, and has more glitz and glam. It is the gay capital of Aus.

Melbourne is more sophisticated (which other cities confuse with arrogance) and laid back. It is the sporting capital of Aus and has the best live music scene.

Both cities have plenty of tennis courts!
The funny thing is, in Sydney, we think Melbourne is the gay capital :p

Anyway, I've always felt that Sydney and Melbourne are almost identical. I love Sydney, its a great place. Really easy going. I don't think it's that fast paced... especially compared to somewhere like New York.

Also, awesome view if you see Darling Harbour.

And yes, a LOT of tennis courts.

Mateo Mathieu
Sep 30th, 2005, 02:31 PM
The funny thing is, in Sydney, we think Melbourne is the gay capital :p
Are you kidding? :p I'm a Sydneysider and Sydney is the gay capital! :lol:

Anyway, I've been to Melbourne twice and I find the city is the most boring ever I've visited! Steffi Graf once say that Melbourne is the most boring city ever she visited! :lol:

Melbourne have old building styles and much more laid-back but nothing to do much down there, though. I prefer Sydney as there have much stuff to do and way to fun! If you want good restaurants, Melbourne for you. Clubbing? Sydney, hands down!

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Are you kidding? :p I'm a Sydneysider and Sydney is the gay capital! :lol:

Anyway, I've been to Melbourne twice and I find the city is the most boring ever I've visited! Steffi Graf once say that Melbourne is the most boring city ever she visited! :lol:

Melbourne have old building styles and much more laid-back but nothing to do much down there, though. I prefer Sydney as there have much stuff to do and way to fun! If you want good restaurants, Melbourne for you. Clubbing? Sydney, hands down!

:retard: and after all I did to try to be *nice* to Sydney! :p

heaps of players also LOVE Melbourne so... :p

azza
Sep 30th, 2005, 02:37 PM
go to Sydney Melbourne is gunna get bombed apparently :o

Mateo Mathieu
Sep 30th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Oh, I might add that Melbourne road rules have frightened me! When I press button on a traffic lighter and the cars stopped when turn to red. I begin to cross the road when turn green for walkers but in same time, these fuckin' cars tried pass me! :eek: WTF?! I ran to other side of the road! :o It's totally different to Sydney! :lol:

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Oh, I might add that Melbourne road rules have frightened me! When I press button on a traffic lighter and the cars stopped when turn to red. I begin to cross the road when turn green for walkers but in same time, these fuckin' cars tried pass me! :eek: WTF?! I ran to other side of the road! :o It's totally different to Sydney! :lol:

well those drivers were :retard:ed then...they are meant to stop...it's not like we have totally different ruels to Sydney! :p

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:15 PM
go to Sydney Melbourne is gunna get bombed apparently :o

you heard that from your friends in Al-Quaeda huh?

Cage
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Well i live in the nicest part of australia the gold coast so i sugest hear but melbourne is a nicer place then sydney cause there is crime in sydney more so im syaing dont go there but if ya have the chance go to gold caost!

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:46 PM
:lol: Yeah, the Gold Coast is great! :D