PDA

View Full Version : Flight Attendants Urge Boycott Of Jodie Foster's Movie (Plot Spoiler Inside)

SelesFan70
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Flight Attendants Call for 'Flightplan' Boycott
Thursday, September 29, 2005

LOS ANGELES ó Three groups representing flight attendants are calling for a boycott of the box-office hit "Flightplan." In the Jodie Foster thriller about a mother looking for her missing daughter aboard a plane, a flight attendant colludes with an air marshal as part of a plot to extort a ransom from the airline.

Other flight attendants are shown treating passengers rudely and being unsympathetic to Foster's character, whom they think might be delusional. :tape:

The groups contend that the Disney film could breed distrust of their members among real airline passengers.

"Should there be another 9/11, it would be critical for the cabin crew to have the support of their passengers, not the distrust that this movie may engender," said Tommie Hutto-Blake, president of the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (search). "Our fellow crew members who perished in the line of duty deserve more respect."

Two other organizations ó the Association of Flight Attendants and Transport Workers Union, Local 556 ó also called for a "Flightplan" boycott.

Combined, the three groups represent more than 80,000 flight attendants at 23 airlines.

In a statement, Disney said it regrets the groups' reaction to the film.

"There was absolutely no intention by the studio or filmmakers to create anything other than a great action thriller," the company said. "We are confident that the public will be able to discern the difference between fiction and the incredible job that real-life flight attendants perform on a daily basis."

The film was No. 1 at the box office last weekend, collecting $24.6 million.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170744,00.html

:haha: From what I hear, that's not too far off base to have flight attendants being rude towards passengers. Anyways, it's JUST A FRICKIN' MOVIE! :retard:

Kimiko Latte
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I havenít seen the movie but I donít think the scenario is too farfetched. Iíve been on both domestic (Delta, American) and international flights (Air France, Lufthansa) where the flight attendants didnít care if they were rude to the passengers; they weren't subtle about it. They often seem like they truly despise their job.

Lachrymarum
Sep 29th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Who could blame airline attendants for being rude to passengers?
Passengers are too high-maintenance & bitchy themselves.
However, they really shouldn't get all upset over some lame-ass action movie.

PaulieM
Sep 29th, 2005, 04:03 PM
"Should there be another 9/11, it would be critical for the cabin crew to have the support of their passengers, not the distrust that this movie may engender,"

oh come on, any normal person that was on a flight that had been hijacked would listen to whatever the hell any person with any sort of authority aka flight attendants had to say. if a movie like this affects someone in a situation like that where their life is in danger, it's just because they are retarded.

Sally Struthers
Sep 29th, 2005, 04:10 PM
the whole movie was ridiculous with the way they targeted her and went through elaborate schemes like that to hijack the plane. There's much simpler ways they could have gone about it all.

Infiniti2001
Sep 29th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I don't need anyone to tell me boycott a Jodie Foster film :lol: There's just something about her that annoys my ass :tape:

SelesFan70
Sep 29th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I don't need anyone to tell me boycott a Jodie Foster film :lol: There's just something about her that annoys my ass :tape:

:ras:

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:14 PM
The movie sucked...It was just too far fetched and stupid...the plane was...:eek:

drake3781
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I Was really irritated at myself for reading thsi article in the news (not here... I already saw it) because I want to see the movie, and the first paragraph of the article seems to give away the plot!!

Scotso
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM
It does give away the plot, luckily I've already seen it.

I did think that the people were unneccessarily rude to her, but come on people, it's a MOVIE.

Rocketta
Sep 29th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Yeah the first paragragh does ruin the whole movie....luckily I already saw it as well. :cool:

The movie was ok, nothing great but nothing bad either.....I wonder if those same airline attendants would be upset if the bad people had turned out to be the Arabs on the plane. :rolleyes:

griffin
Sep 29th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Silly me, I was boycotting it because it looked stupid (I like Jodi, but she has a knack for picking real stinkers)

I think they're being a mite oversensitive.

SelesFan70
Sep 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I Was really irritated at myself for reading thsi article in the news (not here... I already saw it) because I want to see the movie, and the first paragraph of the article seems to give away the plot!!

:sad: Sorry...I edited the thread title to warn future thread readers.

manu32
Sep 29th, 2005, 09:17 PM
don't worry jodie....you are the gay icon of french company air france......that's ridiculous.......

samp20
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I've only seen airline attendants be rude to passengers a handful of times & everytime the passenger deserved it. But don't people have more important things to boycott or protest?

ys
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:15 PM
I liked it.. I like flight attendants too..

Scotso
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Silly me, I was boycotting it because it looked stupid (I like Jodi, but she has a knack for picking real stinkers)

Except "The Accused"

have you seen it?

:scared:

Denise4925
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:56 PM

:lol: I was waiting for it to come out on DVD. Now I'll just wait for cable. :p

Denise4925
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Except "The Accused"

have you seen it?

:scared:
Yeah that was one of her best and Silence of the Lambs and the movie she was in about being the mother of little boy who was a genius. I can't think of the name. That was good, but mostly because of the kid. :)

Rocketta
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Yeah that was one of her best and Silence of the Lambs and the movie she was in about being the mother of little boy who was a genius. I can't think of the name. That was good, but mostly because of the kid. :)

Little Man Tate

Black Mamba.
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:00 PM
The movie doesn't look that great so they really shouldn't worry about it. Besides rising gas prices will do more to keep folks away from the movie than a boycott ever will.

Denise4925
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Little Man Tate
Yeah, that's it. Didn't you like that?

Rocketta
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:01 PM
eh, the movie came in at #1 this week....not huge numbers but not bad for an obscure opening weekend...

Rocketta
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Yeah, that's it. Didn't you like that?

yeah I loved that movie....especially the part when Jody's character tells the teacher that she'll kill her if anything happens to her son and then when he gets hit on the head with the globe and the teacher telling him not to bother his mother about it but it being the first thing he tells her on the phone. :rolls:

Denise4925
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:13 PM
yeah I loved that movie....especially the part when Jody's character tells the teacher that she'll kill her if anything happens to her son and then when he gets hit on the head with the globe and the teacher telling him not to bother his mother about it but it being the first thing he tells her on the phone. :rolls:
:lol: Yeah, that was one of the funniest parts.

griffin
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:24 PM
"Don't bother your mother..." :lol:

I don't hate all her movies - I'm just sometimes stumped as to how the woman from The Accused, Silence of the Lambs, Little Man Tate winds up in stinking piles of crap like "Maverick" or "Nell"

Mrs. Peel
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Nell was embarrasing :tape: :retard:

Rocketta
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:32 PM

I don't hate all her movies - I'm just sometimes stumped as to how the woman from The Accused, Silence of the Lambs, Little Man Tate winds up in stinking piles of crap like "Maverick" or "Nell"

Griff you know how....it's called...... M - O - N - E - Y or she agreed to do so many films and didn't care which ones she picked so she can be let out of her contract. ;)

Denise4925
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:08 AM

Nell was just :retard: Ugh. I don't even want to talk about Maverick, but you forgot one of the worst. Again, Rocketta help me out here :lol: , but this one was set during the civil war and where her husband came back from the war and she didn't recognize him at first because he treated her differently? I don't know, it didn't make sense. Ring any bells?

Denise4925
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Mrs. Peel :hearts: :hug: :wavey:

Joana
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Nell was just :retard: Ugh. I don't even want to talk about Maverick, but you forgot one of the worst. Again, Rocketta help me out here :lol: , but this one was set during the civil war and where her husband came back from the war and she didn't recognize him at first because he treated her differently? I don't know, it didn't make sense. Ring any bells?

That's "Sommersby" I think. I didn't see the whole movie, so I can't comment on it.

You're all forgetting one of her best roles - the one in "Taxi Driver".

~ The Leopard ~
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Great way of giving the movie publicity.

bw2082
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:17 AM
I liked Maverick ... Nell was a piece of crap. I liked Contact as well.

Rocketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:29 AM

Yeah Joana was right it's Sommersby and I kind of liked that one...it's completely far fetched that she didn't know it wasn't her husband...which is what makes the movie powerful because she did know he wasn't her husband but he treated her soooo much better than the man that was her husband she didn't care....and he so enjoyed the respect he got being a land owner and a good husband he was willing to die rather than admit to being someone else and going back to his old life. I liked it. :lol:

harloo
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:59 AM
I've been wanting to slap Jodie Foster for that godawful Nell. I have not seen Flightplan so I may peek in when I take my cousins to see Roll Bounce(which will probably put me to sleep).

marmite1
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Come on that is truly pathetic. Its like most bad guys/women are white yet we dont boycott whatever they might be apart of. What a fucking joke.

drake3781
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:20 AM
:sad: Sorry...I edited the thread title to warn future thread readers.

Hey, thanks, but I wasn't complaining about your post. I meant the news article itself.... you'd think they could put a warning into it!! I had already seen the news article in the morning before your thread came out. But good idea for anyone else!!

CC
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:22 AM
I've kinda been into Jodie Foster since Silence of the Lambs. It was probably because Hannibal Lecter wanted to eat her. I started to like Julianne Moore after Hannibal wanted to eat her too. I like cannibals.

SelesFan70
Sep 30th, 2005, 02:56 AM
No one has mentioned "Contact". I really liked that movie.

Denise4925
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:56 AM
That's "Sommersby" I think. I didn't see the whole movie, so I can't comment on it.

You're all forgetting one of her best roles - the one in "Taxi Driver".
That's it. It was awful. But, she didn't really have a big part in Taxi Driver from what I can remember.

Helen Lawson
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I have only one thing to say about "Nell"--Chick-A-Pea!!!! :silly: I saw a rerun of Inside the Actor's Studio with her last weekend, and she's like tearing up that she thinks that was her finest performance. :confused:

Anyway, Flightplan was ok, as a B-level thriller, the plot was so convoluted it became silly and the ending was about a 20-pound block of Swiss cheese!! But, hey, I made a lot of high-pay, post-Oscar shit, too, so who am I to criticize? Panic Room it wasn't, let's leave it at that.

marmite1
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Panic room was really good. Im surprised it did so badly in general.