PDA

View Full Version : Slavic languages- great adventure :)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pla
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:16 AM
So, after a nice talk about some of the Slavic languages, the idea for a thread like this emerged. You are all welcome to ask questions or just say your opinion :wavey:

I'll post something informative first :D (from Wikipedia)

Slavic languages

The Slavic languages (also called Slavonic languages), a group of closely related languages of the Slavic peoples and a subgroup of Indo-European languages, have speakers in most of Eastern Europe, in much of the Balkans, in parts of Central Europe, and in the northern part of Asia.
Contents

Branches

Scholars divide the Slavic languages into three main branches, some of which feature sub-branches:

* East Slavic, including Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, and Rusyn.
* West Slavic, which further subdivide into:
o Czech in the Czech Republic and Slovak in Slovakia,
o Upper and Lower Sorbian in Germany,
o Lechitic languages: Polish, Pomeranian/Kashubian and Polabian.
* South Slavic, which further subdivide into:
o Western subgroup composed of Slovenian from Slovenia, Serbian (Serbia and Montenegro), Bosnian (Bosnia and Herzegovina) and Croatian (Croatia). Slavicists often group the latter three together as the Serbo-Croatian language.
o Eastern subgroup composed of Bulgarian in Bulgaria and adjacent areas; and of Macedonian from the Republic of Macedonia. (Some slavicists, especially those in Bulgaria and Greece, regard Macedonian as a "regional norm" of the Bulgarian language rather than as a separate language.)

Distribution of Slavic languages

The tripartite division of the Slavic languages does not take into account the spoken dialects of each language. Of these, certain so-called transitional dialects and hybrid dialects often bridge the gaps between different languages, showing similarities that do not stand out when comparing Slavic literary (i.e., standard) languages.

Enough differences exist between the various Slavic dialects and languages to make communication between speakers of different Slavic languages difficult. Within the individual Slavic languages, dialects may vary to a lesser degree, as those of Russian, or to a much greater degree, as those of Slovenian. Modern mass media, however, has helped to minimize variation in all the Slavic languages. Note too that historical inter-Slav cultural currents, such as the influence of South Slavic Old Church Slavonic and of South Slavic scholars on Russian, have exercised some re-unifying influence.

And something funny about my language, we are the only one from the Slavs to not use cases ;).

Shoulderpova
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:18 AM
great idea pla :yeah:
Lets exchange our language experiences here ;)
Teach me some bulgarian, polish. etc :dance:

Portobello
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM
i wanna post on these but i know nothing about slavic :sad: :sad:

pla
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:22 AM
i wanna post on these but i know nothing about slavic :sad: :sad:

So, it's the right place to learn. :)

Ask and we'll answer.

great idea pla
Lets exchange our language experiences here
Teach me some bulgarian, polish. etc

Thanks Safin :yeah:. And you'll teach us some Russian, molia.

Molia - please :D

Portobello
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Ask and we'll answer.

learn it from 0 ???? :p :p :p

pla
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:32 AM

From zero, I suppose it's impossible to do it in a forum. But you can learn something about the cultures, the history, some common senteces and beautiful poems, the mythology :D. Things like this that come with a language, and here we can talk about many languages :)

-Em-
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:32 AM

that might be kinda hard, slavic languages ain't very easy :unsure:

Portobello
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:36 AM

yup :bigcry: :bigcry:

DuLeafs
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Yeah agreed. For Russian and stuff u first gotta learn the Cyrillic alphabet.

First thing i noticed about Slavic languages was that its kinda a 'tarzan-language' :p And u dont use the verb 'are' :rolleyes:

Shoulderpova
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:44 AM

im a bad teacher :unsure:
Bulgarian is very similar to russian. If you give me an article in bulgarian, i can understand 60% of it :bounce: :banana:
bulgarian doesn't have падежи so it might be easier to learn :p
i'm ready to set off :bounce:
Здравейте :wavey: :p

Shoulderpova
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:46 AM
yes, english is the easiest language ever to learn :p

pla
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:48 AM
im a bad teacher :unsure:
Bulgarian is very similar to russian. If you give me an article in bulgarian, i can understand 60% of it :bounce: :banana:
bulgarian doesn't have падежи so it might be easier to learn :p
i'm ready to set off :bounce:
Здравейте :wavey: :p

Zdrastwuy ;)

You can start learn the differencies with the other Slavic languages here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_language

It may be easyer, I don't know ;). What's sure it, you won't have problems with the alphabet :D

Portobello
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Силлиян и Илайша, я вас люблю :p

pla
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:50 AM

And it's even more shameful I don't speak it well :D.

Ok guys, tell us something unusual about the Russian :)

Joana
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I wish Serbian would get rid of the Cyrillic alphabet. Latin script rules!

controlfreak
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Here's a question: if I learned one Slavic language, how much of the other Slavic languages would I be able to understand? And which language is the best "master language" for trying to do this? (For simplicity, let's just consider Russian, Czech, Polish, Bulgarian & Croatian)

SloKid
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:51 AM
We should teach eachother different Slavic expressions to use when cheering on our faves in tennis matches to keep with the forum`s main theme. For example how do you say come on or go in different Slavic languages. Or maybe: break her now. She sucks, kick her ass, win this now. Well you get the idea.

Yeah perhaps it should, but I actually bothered to learn the Cyrillic alpahbet by myself and I love CapaJEBO-probably the most obscene city name in the world :lol:

P.S.: Kajsa rules and is not mention she is quite good looking as well :D

SloKid
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Here's a question: if I learned one Slavic language, how much of the other Slavic languages would I be able to understand? And which language is the best "master language" for trying to do this? (For simplicity, let's just consider Russian, Czech, Polish, Bulgarian & Croatian)

There is no "master language." For example the western Slavic languages are similar, but quite different from the rest, by learning Serbian or Croatian for example you would understand a lot of Slovenian as well, although Slovenian is a bit different, but you would not understand more than like 20-40% of other Slavic languages, and that only if the other person speaks slowly or if you read it. Someone can correct me if I`m wrong on this one.

Sam L
Sep 29th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I think the cyrillic alphabet is unique and the slavic languages should keep it. :)

I've always wanted to learn Russian but I fear I won't get around to it.

pla
Sep 29th, 2005, 12:25 PM

If you learn one Slavic language you'll understand a lot from the others. It's the same like with Germanic languages. You don't understand everything of course but in general, it's clear what's written. While speaking though there can be a lot of differencies hard to "here".

For me, a Bulgarian with a very few Russian knowledge, it's very easy to understand Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Ukrainian and if written- the others.

_LuCaS_
Sep 29th, 2005, 12:28 PM
As an interesting fact Romania is the only country in Eastern Europe to speak a latin based language. It's basically a Latin island in a Slavic sea ;)

pla
Sep 29th, 2005, 12:29 PM
The cyrillic rules :D

Foot's Fingers
Sep 29th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Hello!

Thnks to pla for this thread ;)

Bероника
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:04 PM

oh no,cyrillic alphabet is so beautiful!

CanadianBoy21
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:11 PM
oh no,cyrillic alphabet is so beautiful!

I am Bosnian.
My mother-tongue. Naturally I am fluent.
But God help anyone who wants to learn it as a second language.
I make mistakes all the time and get corrected by my parents and family members. Everyone my age does who is in anotehr country and does not go to school in Bosnia, etc...
We have seven cases I believe. All Slavic languages have similarities, and that is one, I think, although I am not sure.
I can understand where one comes from, Russia, poland, etc... when they speak, but don't know
their meaning at all almost.
It is a beautiful language in my opinion. it has not the elegance that Spanish and French, but it is direct and concrete I think.

Bероника
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:20 PM
what's the difference between Russian and Ukrainian? An Ukrainian woman I know told me they're almost the same...

controlfreak
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:22 PM
I think I'll probably never learn a Slavic language. Life is too short - especially if I decide to study Japanese again :sad:

jrm
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Structure of Slovenian language :scared: probably the toughest language to learn in the world!

adam_ads_n
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Question to romanians: What is dupa in Romanian? I heard it in many songs and in polish this word does not mean anything nice ;)

SloKid
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Structure of Slovenian language :scared: probably the toughest language to learn in the world!

Jaz s slovenščino nisem imel težav. :lol:

adam_ads_n
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:37 PM
what's the difference between Russian and Ukrainian? An Ukrainian woman I know told me they're almost the same...
Yep they are very similar but on this Russian people from here should answer. My language (Polish) is quite similar to Czech and Slovak ;)

Pszczelny
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:41 PM
As an interesting fact Romania is the only country in Eastern Europe to speak a latin based language. It's basically a Latin island in a Slavic sea ;)

Hungarians are also not Slavic ;)

jrm
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Jaz s slovenščino nisem imel težav. :lol:

Oh prosim te ... sklanjatve in vse tiste posebnosti, ki jih pozna samo slovenščina. Kdorkoli razume tista dva špeha od Toporišiča :worship:

Pszczelny
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Question to romanians: What is dupa in Romanian? I heard it in many songs and in polish this word does not mean anything nice ;)

why don't you say it means ass :p

adam_ads_n
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:45 PM
why don't you say it means ass :p
i wanted to compare the romanian version with our nice polish one :P

SloKid
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Oh prosim te ... sklanjatve in vse tiste posebnosti, ki jih pozna samo slovenščina. Kdorkoli razume tista dva špeha od Toporišiča :worship:

Ah jaz se ne poglabljam v podrobnosti in posebnosti, še dvojina je redkost v moji slovnici. :D

jrm
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Ah jaz se ne poglabljam v podrobnosti in posebnosti, še dvojina je redkost v moji slovnici. :D

Dvojina - včasih hočem reči v angleščini 'the two of them' namesto kar 'they'

slovenščina ali 'piši kao govoriš' :devil:

DuLeafs
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Okay Russians,

Я хочу задат вопрос :)

When exactly u use the verb 'заказать'? I know it means 'to order', but it can also mean something else right, like 'to reserve'?

And another question:

In a restaurant, when u want to order something, what u use the most?

- Дайте, or:
- Принесите?

-Em-
Sep 29th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah agreed. For Russian and stuff u first gotta learn the Cyrillic alphabet.

First thing i noticed about Slavic languages was that its kinda a 'tarzan-language' :p And u dont use the verb 'are' :rolleyes:

hmm, we don't? :scratch: i do :p

-Em-
Sep 29th, 2005, 02:15 PM

especially if you've been speaking it from the very beginning :p

-Em-
Sep 29th, 2005, 02:18 PM

it can mean something very nice though :drool: :p

Pszczelny
Sep 29th, 2005, 02:39 PM
it can mean something very nice though :drool: :p

:lol: :devil:

DutchieGirl
Sep 29th, 2005, 03:14 PM
If anyone wants to teach me some Czech...feel free! ;)

pla - :cool: thread!: D

SloKid
Sep 29th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Slovenian is better, only like 2 million people speak it, let`s just say it is more exclusive. :D

DutchieGirl
Sep 29th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Slovenian is better, only like 2 million people speak it, let`s just say it is more exclusive. :D

:haha: Yeah but I'm going to Prague next year with a Dutch friend, so for me, Czech is more useful right now! :p

Joana
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Slovenian is a nightmare of a language. :scared:
I can understand some written texts if I focus, but the spoken language :bolt:

A little trivia: in Serbian (and Croatian) we don't have the letters w, q, x and y. But we have: č, ć, š, đ, ž, lj, nj, dž. Cyrillic counterparts of those letters are: ч, ћ, ш, ђ, ж, љ, њ, џ (in that exact order).
Serbians use both Latin and Cyrillic script. Croatians and Slovenes only Latin, while Macedonians only Cyrillic.
90% of Serbian surnames end in "ić" therefore Ivanović, Janković, Dokić.

SloKid
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Večina Slovenaca govori srbo-hrvatski ali južno od granice nitko ne govori slovenački :sad:

pla
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Večina Slovenaca govori srbo-hrvatski ali južno od granice nitko ne govori slovenački :sad:

Was the Serbo-Croatian the official language in Yugoslavia?

roxi
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Was the Serbo-Croatian the official language in Yugoslavia?
Yes it was!!!!!
Jedino Srbe mogu razumit , uz Bosance naravo !!! Bosanski jezik :rolleyes: :rolleyes: to još nisan čuja da postoji!!!!
Slovence razumin koliko i Zagorce mogli bi se uz ruke i noge i sporazumit!!! Ostale razumin tu i tamo , al oni verglaju prebrzo za me!!!! Začudilo me je u Pragu to šta te svi razume!!!!!!

~{X}~
Sep 29th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I'm Half Croatian so I understand Croatian but I can't read or write it. I also have some trouble speaking it but I understand it almost flawlessly. :D

Bероника
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:01 PM

A little trivia: in Serbian (and Croatian) we don't have the letters w, q, x and y. But we have: č, ć, š, đ, ž, lj, nj, dž. Cyrillic counterparts of those letters are: ч, ћ, ш, ђ, ж, љ, њ, џ (in that exact order).
Serbians use both Latin and Cyrillic script. Croatians and Slovenes only Latin, while Macedonians only Cyrillic.

So how do you pronounce Jankovic for instance?

SloKid
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:10 PM
As taken from wtatour.com: ye-LAY-nah YAN-ko-vich :D if that makes any sense to you.

Joana
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:18 PM
So how do you pronounce Jankovic for instance?

It should be YANkovich. Our ć is almost exactly like Spanish ch. ;)

Joana
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:20 PM
As taken from wtatour.com: ye-LAY-nah

That's not correct. :confused: It could be Americanized pronunciation?

It should be YElena. The stress is on first syllable, and there's no "ay" sound. In Serbian, "e" is always like English e in "let".

hablo
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM
cool thread :yeah:

dobrč (sorry can't spell good in polish :o )

SloKid
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:22 PM
That's not correct. :confused: It could be Americanized pronunciation?

It should be YElena. The stress is on first syllable, and there's no "ay" sound. In Serbian, "e" is always like English e in "let".

Ne brini, kao uvijek Amerikanci znaju najbolje. :D

_LuCaS_
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:29 PM
It means "after" ;)
Nothing spectacular

_LuCaS_
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Hungarians are also not Slavic ;)
:o forgot about them
They're Hunic if I remember well

VRee_Willario
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Da - Njet
Matuska
That's all I can say

tennisjam
Sep 29th, 2005, 08:05 PM

What is great about Slavic languages is that they are very close to each other. I would say that they share the same "linguistical soul"...
Once you have the lexical and grammatical basis, the rest is just the matter of nuances in pronunciation or grammar (I am takling about the "basic level").

so I'd say

ZDRAVSTVUJTE

to everybody

tennisjam
Sep 29th, 2005, 08:26 PM
We should teach eachother different Slavic expressions to use when cheering on our faves in tennis matches to keep with the forum`s main theme. For example how do you say come on or go in different Slavic languages. Or maybe: break her now. She sucks, kick her ass, win this now. Well you get the idea.

Yeah perhaps it should, but I actually bothered to learn the Cyrillic alpahbet by myself and I love CapaJEBO-probably the most obscene city name in the world :lol:

P.S.: Kajsa rules and is not mention she is quite good looking as well :D

good one (for capaJEBO)... :)

(capaJEBO jebe prvenstveno sve lude nacionaliste koji su ga htjeli unistiti...)

I find Cyrillic alphabet very esthetic (yet more difficult...). It certainly shouldn't be minimized in any way, especially as it is the alphabet of the majority of the Slavic population. Its linguistical value is great...

LUIS9
Sep 29th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Yep they are very similar but on this Russian people from here should answer. My language (Polish) is quite similar to Czech and Slovak ;)

So is ahoy hello also in Polish?

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:17 AM

:shrug: But ahoj is hello in Czech, so there's a good chance that you are right! ;)

wta_zuperfann
Sep 30th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Ah, poor me - I'm just an ignorant Westerner and am not smart enough to learn foreign languages. But I am a very good student of literature in English translation. And I LOVE Russian classical literature. Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Nekrasov, Gogol, Pushkin --- all so savory as to defy description. What great expression, depth of feeling, and expanse of emotional, spiritual, and intellectual horizons! Try though I may, I cannot find the proper words to describe these transcendent writings. And while I have read many dozens of novels, short stories, and poems, there remain many hundreds more writings that await my very eager eyes. Don't know that I will ever have the time or means to read them all. And to top it all - I still have barely read any of the great 20th century writings!

Oh well, perhaps some day!

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Ah, poor me - I'm just an ignorant Westerner and am not smart enough to learn foreign languages. But I am a very good student of literature in English translation. And I LOVE Russian classical literature. Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Nekrasov, Gogol, Pushkin --- all so savory as to defy description. What great expression, depth of feeling, and expanse of emotional, spiritual, and intellectual horizons! Try though I may, I cannot find the proper words to describe these transcendent writings. And while I have read many dozens of novels, short stories, and poems, there remain many hundreds more writings that await my very eager eyes. Don't know that I will ever have the time or means to read them all. And to top it all - I still have barely read any of the great 20th century writings!

Oh well, perhaps some day!

:lol: I'm a westerner, and I taught myself pretty much most of the Dutch I know....(and yes, people can understand me when I speak it - even if my grammar is not that good). ;) :p You don't have to be ingorant! ;)

Ems__
Sep 30th, 2005, 04:50 AM

:lol: Hahah, its an actual statistic. I've always wondered why our last names end with 'ic', does anyone know?

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:01 AM
:lol: Hahah, its an actual statistic. I've always wondered why our last names end with 'ic', does anyone know?

Because at the time of your liberation the -ic were "modern", I mean it was a mode around the Slavic countries. In Bulgaria, not yet liberated, it was the same, hence a lot of -ic at that time and some left even now. So, allmost all the persons were registered with an -ic.

jrm
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Ahoj=hello in Czech?

I remember it from that cartoon KRTEK!!!

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Whenever we try to impersonate Czechs we throw in an ahoj or two. :D

jrm
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:35 AM

my favourite ... 'tak počkaj me' (wait for me) :D

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:37 AM
jrm your avatar always confuses me into thinking you are an arrogant guy :D

jrm
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM

They guy in my avatar looks arrogant or your impression of me???

The guy in my avatar is a total sweetheart :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:47 AM
The guy in your avatar.
Who is he anyway?

jrm
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM

You should see my avatar in mentennisforum - it's Zelda from Terrahawks :devil:

jrm
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:49 AM
The guy in your avatar.
Who is he anyway?

Another future husband material - French pole-vaulter Romain Mesnil :drool:

DuLeafs
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:51 AM
No Russian wants to answer my question ? :sad:

Okay Russians,

Я хочу задат вопрос :)

When exactly u use the verb 'заказать'? I know it means 'to order', but it can also mean something else right, like 'to reserve'?

And another question:

In a restaurant, when u want to order something, what u use the most?

- Дайте, or:
- Принесите?

Pszczelny
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Ahoj=hello in Czech?

known in Poland as KRECIK :D ;)

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:52 AM
How many future husbands you plan on having (Berdych, Mesnil...)? Anyone else? :D

Pszczelny
Sep 30th, 2005, 08:56 AM
"заказать" is very similar to Polish "zakazać" which means "to forbid"

Pszczelny
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:04 AM

in Polish it's "cześć", very hard to say for non-Polish ;)

Pszczelny
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:05 AM
cool thread :yeah:

dobrč (sorry can't spell good in polish :o )

dobre :yeah:

jrm
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:05 AM
How many future husbands you plan on having (Berdych, Mesnil...)? Anyone else? :D

Ah, i see you don't know me that well ;)

Future husband material - tons of them :devil:

azdaja
Sep 30th, 2005, 09:43 AM
all the slavic people here, have you heard of the artificial language "slovio"? it was designed to be understood easily by all people who speak slavic languages by using a simplified grammar and the words that are common to most languages.

http://www.slovio.com

i was able to understand most texts there easily. i showed that site to a few people who speak different slavic languages and they understood them rather well, even the ones who did not have much education. i'm curious about how well other slavic people understand it, so go to that website and try it.

i'm not a huge fan of artificial languages though.

edit: a typo

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Ahoj=hello in Czech?

yeah ahoj or nazdar! ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:02 AM

:haha: Damn! I wanna learn Czech! ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:03 AM
in Polish it's "cześć", very hard to say for non-Polish ;)

like your username huh? :angel: ;)

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Ah, i see you don't know me that well ;)

Future husband material - tons of them :devil:

I don't know you at all. :D

jrm
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:16 AM
dobre :yeah:

I always thought your name has spmething to do with bees :lol:

pčele - bees :devil:

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Pchela ;)

How do you say honey? We say "med".

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:22 AM
We too say med.

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
We too say med.

Great, I hate the honey, so I'll know how I can prevent myself of eating it in Slovakia :D

I'll say "Ne, med". How can I say "without honey"? Do you use "bez"?

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Great, I hate the honey, so I'll know how I can prevent myself of eating it in Slovakia :D

:haha:

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I'm from Slovenia not Slovakia :fiery:
And it is "brez."
"without honey" would be "brez meda"

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:39 AM

You can laugh but imagine if I have to eat something with honey and I can't even understand the "beast" is in the food/drink?!? :lol: :lol: ;)

Now I only have to learn how to say: mushrooms, spinach, liver (I don't know if the same word is used for the food), and couple other disgusting things and I'll be ready to go to Slovenia :lol:

edit: ahmm, I must learn the flags or check if unsure ;)

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I'm from Slovenia not Slovakia :fiery:
And it is "brez."
"without honey" would be "brez meda"

Oh, I am sorry :eek: . Wow, I am ashamed :o . It's just the flag...

Please all Slovenes, forgive me :wavey: , I am not bad normally ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:40 AM
You can laugh but imagine if I have to eat something with honey and I can't even understand the "beast" is in the food/drink?!? :lol: :lol: ;)

Now I only have to learn how to say: mushrooms, spinach, liver (I don't know if the same word is used for the food), and couple other disgusting things and I'll be ready to go to Slovakia :lol:

god then I should learn alot of words in every language if I have to ask "without x" when I order a meal! :p

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:41 AM
god then I should learn alot of words in every language if I have to ask "without x" when I order a meal! :p

Oh, so we are alike in that department. My list of "disgusting" foods is VERY long :lol:

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Oh, so we are alike in that department. My list of "disgusting" foods is VERY long :lol:

yeah mine too! ;) :help:

I went to a restaurant in Prague near my hotel this year, and it was quite interesting. Lucky I had my little phrasebook and could look stuff up (the waitress didn't speak English really - maybe I should have tried german! :lol: ).

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Oh, I am sorry :eek: . Wow, I am ashamed :o . It's just the flag...

Please all Slovenes, forgive me :wavey: , I am not bad normally ;)

Yeah the flags are similar.
mushrooms-gobe, spinach-špinača, liver-jetra, now you can come to Slovenia. :D

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:51 AM

I am ready then and I owe you one now, so when I come (one day, who knows) let me know what you drink :)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:52 AM

lol damn I love the letters with the little thingy on top - but I can't do them on my keyboard! ;) I even know how to pronounce them too! :angel:

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I am ready then and I owe you one now, so when I come (one day, who knows) let me know what you drink :)
pivo, pivo! ;) well I know it's beer in Czech anyway! ;)

-Em-
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:54 AM

it has, well done :yeah:

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:56 AM
pivu, pivu! ;) well I know it's beer in Czech anyway! ;)

I suppose it's beer in almost all the Slavic languages.

Just, if you pass through Bulgaria, use "bira". Not that people won't understand "pivo" but they'll look at you as if you are the reincarnation of E.T. ;) :lol:

Pszczelny
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:57 AM

yes, pszczelny is from pszczoła - bee ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Just, if you pass through Bulgaria, use "bira". Not that people won't understand "pivo" but they'll look at you as if you are the reincarnation of E.T. ;) :lol:

:eek: Oh I spelt it wrong - well I don't drink beer anyway so... I don't really need to know it! ;)

-Em-
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:00 PM

it's 'piwo' in polish, but you can say 'browar' or 'bro'

Pszczelny
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:01 PM
like your username huh? :angel: ;)

no, coz "sz" is like "sh" in English and "cz" like "ch"

and I don't know how to present letters ś or ć coz you don't use anything like this :lol:

anyway cześć to all :wavey:

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:02 PM
:eek: Oh I spelt it wrong - well I don't drink beer anyway so... I don't really need to know it! ;)

I don't know if you spelled it wrong. Honestly, I don't speak that language so it may very well be "pivu". I didn't even notice you wrote "pivu" :lol:

Anyways, you'll get your beer :lol: ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:02 PM
it's 'piwo' in polish, but you can say 'browar' or 'bro'

hmm forgot you were part polish! :p (or is it all polish... :scratch: )

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:03 PM

and I don't know how to present letters ś or ć coz you don't use anything like this :lol:

All those letter-combinations are beyond me :lol: I'll never learn to read Polish, it's official ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:03 PM

:scratch: well it's still not easy! :p to say pshch in english is not fun either! :p

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I don't know if you spelled it wrong. Honestly, I don't speak that language so it may very well be "pivu". I didn't even notice you wrote "pivu" :lol:

Anyways, you'll get your beer :lol: ;)

actually I think it is pivu... but now I can;t find it in my phrasebook! :shrug:

I don't like beer, so I don't want it anyway! ;)

-Em-
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:04 PM

half ;) but it's the biger half of me that's polish i guess ;) :lol:

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:05 PM
All those letter-combinations are beyond me :lol: I'll never learn to read Polish, it's official ;)

:haha: Me neither! ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:05 PM
half ;) but it's the biger half of me that's polish i guess ;) :lol:

ahh I did remember right! ;)

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:06 PM
:haha: Me neither! ;)

And to think I believed I am smart.. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:07 PM

And to think I believed I am smart.. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: ;)

well your english is great! :yeah: SO you must have some brains, as I assume it's not your first language! ;)

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:08 PM
well your english is great! :yeah: SO you must have some brains, as I assume it's not your first language! ;)

Yeah, the IQ at least is not negative :haha:

It's the third.

Pszczelny
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:08 PM

just remember, it's Polish invasion :p

Pszczelny
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:11 PM
:scratch: well it's still not easy! :p to say pshch in english is not fun either! :p

I love to hear when foreigners read sth like this:

"w Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie"

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Yeah, the IQ at least is not negative :haha:

It's the third.

:eek: 3rd...What's your second then? I can only speak like 1 1/4! ;) (English and 1/4 Dutch...hmm and maybe 1/8 German) :haha:

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:12 PM
:eek: 3rd...What's your second then? I can only speak like 1 1/4! ;) (English and 1/4 Dutch...hmm and maybe 1/8 German) :haha:

French :devil:

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:13 PM

"w Strzebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie"

I just wouldn't even bother! :p

one in Czech:

strc prst skrz krk :eek: wtf? How the hell can you say that? ;)

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:13 PM
It's good that I come from a small country so I'm kind of forced to learn foreign languages. I speak English,obviously, Italian, German, a bit of Spanish, of course I understand some of other Slavic languages and speak Serbo-Croatian.

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:14 PM

:lol: Should have known as you are in Luxembourg! ;)

and you were right, it's pivo I found it! :lol:

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Riiiiiiight...

Let's try then :lol: (I'll write it with latin letters, a sound= the letter from the English alphabet)

So.. "V ....... bura-bura-bura chrazashch brzmi v turzcinie"?

The bura-bura part is like for a University degree :lol:

Pszczelny

lol, you're good :yeah:

DutchieGirl
just remember, it's Polish invasion :p

:haha: Yeah, I know! ;)

Pszczelny
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Riiiiiiight...

Let's try then :lol: (I'll write it with latin letters, a sound= the letter from the English alphabet)

:lol:

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:16 PM
It's good that I come from a small country so I'm kind of forced to learn foreign languages. I speak English,obviously, Italian, German, a bit of Spanish, of course I understand some of other Slavic languages and speak Serbo-Croatian.

:eek: Holy shit! I could only wish to speak so many languages! I want to improve my Dutch, but it's really hard here (no classes), and I wanna do German again and learn Italian...and some Czech would be nice too! ;)

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:17 PM
:lol: Should have known as you are in Luxembourg! ;)

and you were right, it's pivo I found it! :lol:

Yeah, but I don't speak German or Luxembourgish. :scared: But don't say to anybody cause normally the locals get angry when people speak only French ;) :angel:

Pivo/pivu- who cares? I don't drink either :lol:

SloKid
Pivo is one of those words that is the same in majority of Slavic languages, I believe.
Not that I care, I don't drink alcohol.

DutchieGirl
Riiiiiiight...

:help: :p

tobi
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Hej!

Dobry den vespolek!

Dobre odpoledne!

Jak se mas?

Miluji Te ( :p Other Important thing I know )

pla
:lol:

Someone from Poland, give me your phone, I REALLY need to know how this thing is pronounced :lol:

God, this is unbelievable. And I thought the name of island Krk (in Croatia) is funny to pronounce :lol:

Pszczelny
I just wouldn't even bother! :p

one in Czech:

strc prst skrz krk :eek: wtf? How the hell can you say that? ;)

it's not easy but Slav can do it :p

Krk is Croatian I suppose ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Yeah, but I don't speak German or Luxembourgish. :scared: But don't say to anybody cause normally the locals get angry when people speak only French ;) :angel:

Pivo/pivu- who cares? I don't drink either :lol:

:haha: I asked the taxi driver in Luxembourg is there a language from Luxembourg, and he said French. I said isn't there Leutzeburgish or something and he said no! :o :eek: ;) I met an Aussie girl at the hostel in Lux city and we walked around together and she understood french and me german, so we were translating for each other! :D

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Jak se mas?

dobre. A ty? ;)

Pszczelny
Someone from Poland, give me your phone, I REALLY need to know how this thing is pronounced :lol:

God, this is unbelievable. And I thought the name of island Krk (in Croatia) is funny to pronounce :lol:

ther are only 3 letters in the beginning and it's a combination of letters possible to say ;)

Krk is hard even to me :p

DutchieGirl
it's not easy but Slav can do it :p

Krk is Croatian I suppose ;)

no, it means "stick your finger in your neck"! :eek:

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
:haha: I asked the taxi driver in Luxembourg is there a language from Luxembourg, and he said French. I said isn't there Leutzeburgish or something and he said no! :o :eek: ;) I met an Aussie girl at the hostel in Lux city and we walked around together and she understood french and me german, so we were translating for each other! :D

Muahahaha :haha: This is NOT nice from this guy :lol:. They have a language, which (Luxembourgers, DON'T read this!) is quite similar to German, let's say at the time it was something like a German dialect but with a smoother pronounciation. Now it's an official language and for the last 7-8 years the Luxembourgers are really into using it. ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
literally krk = throat in Czech! ;)

hmm and I just saw kraj = border! ;)

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Jak se maš; Ali G uses that a lot when he is pretending to be Borat from Kazachstan. :D

tobi
dobre. A ty? ;)
dobre :hatoff:

Pszczelny
Miluji Te ( :p Other Important thing I know )

did you say it to Olga or Monika in Turkey? :lol: ;)

DutchieGirl
Pivo is one of those words that is the same in majority of Slavic languages, I believe.
Not that I care, I don't drink alcohol.

:haha: None of us seem to drink beer then! :yeah:

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:24 PM
ther are only 3 letters in the beginning and it's a combination of letters possible to say ;)

Krk is hard even to me :p

The thing is to know where to put the sound which sounds like "u" in "cup of tea". The "u" (we have a letter for it :bounce: ) is VERY short but exists. ;)

If I hear it, I may be able to pronounce it, but written- no way!

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Jak se maš; Ali G uses that a lot when he is pretending to be Borat from Kazachstan. :D

:lol: :help: Well, it's Czech! ;) But I guess it's pretty similar...and Ali G SUCKS! ;)

tobi
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Well My two Czech friend were talking,It was unbelieveble! How did they prounanced those sentences,one of them was "možná, že bych byl šel"

They tried to teach me,you guessed right,I couldnt say :lol:

DutchieGirl
Muahahaha :haha: This is NOT nice from this guy :lol:. They have a language, which (Luxembourgers, DON'T read this!) is quite similar to German, let's say at the time it was something like a German dialect but with a smoother pronounciation. Now it's an official language and for the last 7-8 years the Luxembourgers are really into using it. ;)

yeah, I knew there was a Luxembourgish language, so I just thought that the taxi driver was dumb! :o And yes, it seems to be similar to German! ;) I have seen some of it written! ;)

SloKid
and Ali G SUCKS! ;)

Don't make me bad rep you for that one. Just kidding.

pla
literally krk = throat in Czech! ;)

hmm and I just saw kraj = border! ;)

Krai in Bulgarian is "end" or you can use it even for "region".

Like.. Idvam ot Plovdivskia krai = I come from the region of Plovdiv.

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:26 PM
dobre :hatoff:

:lol: I was gonna ask how you can speak some Czech, but now i see you have Czech friends! :D

pla
yeah, I knew there was a Luxembourgish language, so I just thought that the taxi driver was dumb! :o And yes, it seems to be similar to German! ;) I have seen some of it written! ;)

Oh, sorry then for explaining the obvious :)

SloKid
"možná, že bych byl šel"

This one is easy to pronounce, well for Slavs at least. :bounce:

tobi
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:27 PM
did you say it to Olga or Monika in Turkey? :lol: ;)
well I couldnt predict their reactions,I couldnt say because of that :haha:

But Monika's English was flawless,she surely talking like a British :eek:

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Don't make me bad rep you for that one. Just kidding.

:haha: What, he does! :p But hey, he's marrying an Aussie... Isla Fisher! :hearts: ;)

tobi
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Well Sarah did you try to say something in Turkish? It is so hard to talk :o

SloKid

In Slovenian kraj means like a place. Kje je tisti kraj?-Where is that place?
And in Serbo-Croatian it means end.

DutchieGirl

:haha: One of Misa' nickname's is "de kleine Kraai" (the small Kraai)... ;) but I guess if you take one a out... ;)

Pszczelny

interesting :)

in Polish "kraj" means "country"

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Oh, sorry then for explaining the obvious :)

:haha: No, that's ok - you weren't to know that I knew that! ;)

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Merhabah :D

Kach saat? ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:30 PM
interesting :)

in Polish "kraj" means "country"

and Czech = border...so it's all geographical words! ;)

Pszczelny
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:30 PM
:haha: One of Misa' nickname's is "de kleine Kraai" (the small Kraai)... ;) but I guess if you take one a out... ;)

you should know that misa means a bowl :cool:

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Yeah, krai can be used for a lot of thigs and it's quite obvious givven her name ;)

DutchieGirl

umm no - I've never been to Turkey, so I haven't needed to! ;)

tobi

Kach saat? ;)
iyiyim :lol:

Sen nasilsin? :p

How did you learn these?

DutchieGirl
Yeah, krai can be used for a lot of thigs and it's quite obvious givven her name ;)

but her Dutch friend told me that krajicek = slices of bread... :scratch: :haha:

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:32 PM
you should know that misa means a bowl :cool:

ahh I wondered why you were calling her "bowl" the other day in the score thread! ;)

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Even I know merhabah. It's a common word. :D

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:33 PM

:scratch: I don't! :( ;)

tobi
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:33 PM
well,First I know was I love you ---> "Seni Seviyorum" :lol: :p :devil:

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:34 PM
but her Dutch friend told me that krajicek = slices of bread... :scratch: :haha:

Well in Slovenian, krajc;krajček can be used as an expression for the end part of a loaf of bread.

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Well in Slovenian, krajc;krajček can be used as an expression for the end part of a loaf of bread.

ahh for the crust! ;) :haha:

"bowl crust" ;)

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM

How did you learn these?

Tobi, you made a mistake :)

Kaç saat means what is the time ?

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Kach saat? ;)

do you use Merhaba in Bulgaria ?

Btw, it is MERHABA, Kaç saat but saat kaç is better :)

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:38 PM

How did you learn these?

Well, we use some Turkish words and sentences :D

Git burda? Is it correct? :D

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:39 PM
do you use Merhaba in Bulgaria ?

Btw, it is MERHABA, Kaç saat but saat kaç is better :)

Yes we do, but it's sleng :D We pronounce is Maraba.

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Well, we use some Turkish words and sentences :D

Git burda? Is it correct? :D

It is Git Burdan :) It means Go away from here :)

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM
In Slovenian kraj means like a place. Kje je tisti kraj?-Where is that place?
And in Serbo-Croatian it means end.

Can you use it in Slovenian for both meanings? Like place/region and end

Tenisci
Yes we do, but it's sleng :D We pronounce is Maraba.

Meraba is also slang here. We use sometimes. But Maraba is used by rude people living in East

pla
It is Git Burdan :) It means Go away from here :)

Yeah, I remember some things :) (I didn't tell anybody to go away btw.. :angel: )

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Meraba is also slang here. We use sometimes. But Maraba is used by rude people living in East

Selam Aleykum is better, isn't it? ;)

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I remember some things :) (I didn't tell anybody to go away btw.. :angel: )

But i dont understand how these sentences are common in Turkish and Bulgarian. Since we are not Slav. We are Altay

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Selam Aleykum is better, isn't it? ;)

Merhaba and Selamun Aleykum is different. Since it is not Turkish. It is Arabic. It relates to Islam.

Merhaba is Hello :)

pla
But i dont understand how these sentences are common in Turkish and Bulgarian. Since we are not Slav. We are Altay

Well, 500 years leave couple of things you know ;)

SloKid
Can you use it in Slovenian for both meanings? Like place/region and end

No end is "konec" in Slovenian. Some have "koniec"- Czechs if I'm not wrong, perhaps Poles.

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Juraj look up some history facts, Turks have conquered large parts of the Balkan peninsula in their time, reaching as far north as Vienna at one time.

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Well, 500 years leave couple of things you know ;)

i see :)

But Hungarian and Finnish are similar to Turkish .

we say Plovdiv in Turkish as Filibe :)

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:49 PM
No end is "konec" in Slovenian. Some have "koniec"- Czechs if I'm not wrong, perhaps Poles.

Oh, I've learned some Russian and it's konec there too. Konec in Bulgarian means thread. :)

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Juraj look up some history facts, Turks have conquered large parts of the Balkan peninsula in their time, reaching as far north as Vienna at one time.

Yes i know this. But i dont understand what you meant ?? :confused:

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:52 PM
i see :)

But Hungarian and Finnish are similar to Turkish .

we say Plovdiv in Turkish as Filibe :)

Yeah but we have almost nothing left from the protoBulgars. It's not even clear what kind of language they spoke, so the only things from Turkish we have are those who we took during the Ottoman rule. It's like: chekmedje, kibrit .. :)

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Some Turkish terms and words got mixed into the languages of people living there and now we take them as our own, perhaps not even realizing their origin.

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Oh, I've learned some Russian and it's konec there too. Konec in Bulgarian means thread. :)

In Serbo-Croatian it's "konac"
In Slovenian it is "nit"

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Yeah but we have almost nothing left from the protoBulgars. It's not even clear what kind of language they spoke, so the only things from Turkish we have are those who we took during the Ottoman rule. It's like: chekmedje, kibrit .. :)

wowww you know a lot of things. If you are here you can talk people surely :)

Kibrit is the same here but Çekmece :) Since we call CH as Ç, SH as Ş, PH as F

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:56 PM
In Slovenian it is "nit"

Nit, that's cute! :D

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Some Turkish terms and words got mixed into the languages of people living there and now we take them as our own, perhaps not even realizing their origin.

Yes, but i dont think that We were in relationship with Slovenija, I think. But i am not sure :)

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:58 PM
In Slovenian it is "nit"

Konac in Turkish, It means the place where you can live

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Yes, but i dont think that We were in relationship with Slovenija, I think. But i am not sure :)

Turks were in Slovenia as well. In fact there have been some novels written about it. But Slovenia was never a part of the Turkish empire.
And what relationship are you talking about? :D

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:59 PM
wowww you know a lot of things. If you are here you can talk people surely :)

Kibrit is the same here but Çekmece :) Since we call CH as Ç, SH as Ş, PH as F

No, I don't know so many things, I just know couple of words and couple of sentences :)

Brb

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM

I want to ask a question to you. In some books it is written that The Bulgarian Kindom was formed the people who are slav and the Bulgars ( it is a another part of Uzs, means that they are Turk like Peceneks (now Hungary).

It means it is the mixture of Blgar Turks and Slavs.

But dont be angry, since i dont offend yu. It is the written thing.

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM

close... konec is Czech... ;)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:05 PM

ok - that's getting confusing then! :lol:

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:06 PM
OK, so the Czechs have konec as well, then it must be the Poles who have koniec.

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:08 PM
OK, so the Czechs have konec as well, then it must be the Poles who have koniec.

:lol: I'm guessing so...wow - I like having my czech phrasebook - at least I can understand something! ;)

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Konac was used back at the time for jail :). It was because people were jailed there, at the place where the pasha lived. (I think, I am not sure though)

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Turks were in Slovenia as well. In fact there have been some novels written about it. But Slovenia was never a part of the Turkish empire.
And what relationship are you talking about? :D

Yes know that . Slovenia was not a part of Ottoman Empire. But everything is in the past. We should forget them to live together friendly :)

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Konac was used back at the time for jail :). It was because people were jailed there, at the place where the pasha lived. (I think, I am not sure though)

yes yuo know everything :)

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:12 PM
:lol: I'm guessing so...wow - I like having my czech phrasebook - at least I can understand something! ;)

You've been to Prague right? Did you buy one of those cheesy "Czech me out Prague" t-shirts?

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:14 PM
You've been to Prague right? Did you buy one of those cheesy "Czech me out Prague" t-shirts?

yeah I was in Prague in July... and NO! :tape:

But I bought a "Praha - Cesky Republika" one! :D

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I want to ask a question to you. In some books it is written that The Bulgarian Kindom was formed the people who are slav and the Bulgars ( it is a another part of Uzs, means that they are Turk like Peceneks (now Hungary).

It means it is the mixture of Blgar Turks and Slavs.

But dont be angry, since i dont offend yu. It is the written thing.

Well, I am not angry :D. The Bulgars, or like we call them the Protobulgarians, were a mixture of tribes. There have been Ugri, Onoguri, Slavs, Avars, some Iranian tribes. In all. a mixture of everything. Then the "Old Great Bulgaria" was crated exacly at the place of present day Ukrain and almost with the same size.

So, I skip some parts but two parts of that enormous mixture of tribes came to the Balkans at the 7th century and crated two countries, one of which is nowadays Bulgaria. There they found Thracians and other Slavs. So that's the story. Some parts of the Protobulgars were indeed, at least it's very possible, from the same linguistic group the Osmanli were (and now the Turks of course :) ). But nothing is sure, as they left very few written monuments.

Latter the Pechenegs and the Kumans lived in what's today Bulgaria and Romania, so surely we have some of their blood too :D.

azdaja
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM
in serbian it used to mean the place you can sleep at (overnight i think).

could it be that nit comes from german naht (seam)?

kraj is used in serbian for a part of the land, a region or so. perhaps in the same way as in london slang "endz".

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Some guys from my university went to Prague last year and I'm not kidding one day they all came wearing that t-shirt. Like 10 of them. I was like wtf is wrong with you people.

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Yes know that . Slovenia was not a part of Ottoman Empire. But everything is in the past. We should forget them to live together friendly :)

I completely agree! :D Peace is the most important thing, with freedom of course ;)

DutchieGirl
Well, I am not angry :D. The Bulgars, or like we call them the Protobulgarians, were a mixture of tribes. There have been Ugri, Onoguri, Slavs, Avars, some Iranian tribes. In all. a mixture of everything. Then the "Old Great Bulgaria" was crated exacly at the place of present day Ukrain and almost with the same size.

So, I skip some parts but two parts of that enormous mixture of tribes came to the Balkans at the 7th century and crated two countries, one of which is nowadays Bulgaria. There they found Thracians and other Slavs. So that's the story. Some parts of the Protobulgars were indeed, at least it's very possible, from the same linguistic group the Osmanli were (and now the Turks of course :) ). But nothing is sure, as they left very few written monuments.

Latter the Pechenegs and the Kumans lived in what's today Bulgaria and Romania, so surely we have some of their blood too :D.

:eek: Did you happen to study history by any chance? ;)

pla
Some guys from my university went to Prague last year and I'm not kidding one day they all came wearing that t-shirt. Like 10 of them. I was like wtf is wrong with you people.

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:18 PM
:eek: Did you happen to study history by any chance? ;)

Umm. no. I just adore the history of the strange place called the Balkans :D

DutchieGirl

:lol: Nah, that is just a "silly" sort of t-shirt. I like to buy t-shirts, but not with "silly" lines on them. I have alot of "Holland" t-shirts too...but none with like "Amsterdammed" or something with drugs! ;)

Tenisci

But some Bulgarians dont accept it.

So we are brothers and Sisters :)

SloKid
could it be that nit comes from german naht (seam)?

Could be, cause we also use cvirn-Zwirn, even more often than nit, I think, although that is not the proper Slovenian term.

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Umm. no. I just adore the history of the strange place called the Balkans :D

:lol: Nah it's :cool: that you know so much. I'm interested in history too, but I read alot about South African history, and a little bit of Dutch history!

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:19 PM
:lol: Nah, that is just a "silly" sort of t-shirt. I like to buy t-shirts, but not with "silly" lines on them. I have alot of "Holland" t-shirts too...but none with like "Amsterdammed" or something with drugs! ;)

So no "They say I was in Amsterdam, but I don't remeber" t-shirts for you then. :D

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:20 PM
:lol: Nah it's :cool: that you know so much. I'm interested in history too, but I read alot about South African history, and a little bit of Dutch history!

One thig I know is I don't know much abouth the history of Sauth Afrika :). It's a shame but I only know the usual things and only a very small part.

tobi
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Well Sarah,Prague is near to me than Berlin :lol:,Czech border is like 50-80 km from Wunsiedel,city I living sometimes in summer.like 100 or little more from Regensburg...I am going pretty often to buy cheaper cigarettes for my friends ;)

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Balkans rule! :D

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:22 PM
So no "They say I was in Amsterdam, but I don't remeber" t-shirts for you then. :D

:haha: Certainly not! I remember all my 5 times in Amsterdam! :D (I'm not into drugs, and I really hardly ever drink). ;)

Foot's Fingers
what's the difference between Russian and Ukrainian? An Ukrainian woman I know told me they're almost the same....

of cos there is a difference, and sometimes it's very funny to listen to ukranian but Russian cn always understand ukranian

SloKid
I am going pretty often to buy cheaper cigarettes for my friends ;)

Yeah, right!

Just kidding.

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:23 PM
One thig I know is I don't know much abouth the history of Sauth Afrika :). It's a shame but I only know the usual things and only a very small part.

for me it was very interesting with all the race relations and that stuff. But I think most history is interesting. :D I don't know much about the Balkans history...

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Well Sarah,Prague is near to me than Berlin :lol:,Czech border is like 50-80 km from Wunsiedel,city I living sometimes in summer.like 100 or little more from Regensburg...I am going pretty often to buy cheaper cigarettes for my friends ;)

:haha: Yes...it's strange I didn't realise that Vienna is actually more east than Prague is, until I was reading a book about the Czech Republic and it's people (that I bought in Prague). :D

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Yeah, right!

Just kidding.

:spit: :yeah: ;)

tobi
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Yeah, right!

Just kidding.
well,I tried once in my life,that was it.Well with sooo many friends in high school,I dont know how I did manage that.Thanx to tennis I think ;)

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:25 PM
for me it was very interesting with all the race relations and that stuff. But I think most history is interesting. :D I don't know much about the Balkans history...

Yeah, it should be interesting. The only problem is that there are so many things to read, we never know where to find the time. :)

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:26 PM
well,I tried once in my life,that was it.Well with sooo many friends in high school,I dont know how I did manage that.Thanx to tennis I think ;)

hmm not many people at my scool used to smoke. Most were more into alcohol! ;)

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah, it should be interesting. The only problem is that there are so many things to read, we never know where to find the time. :)

right :)

Iorhael

Wanna see something really and I mean REALLY difficult?:p

W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie,
Strząsa skrzydła z dżdżu.
A trzmiel w puszczy tuż przy Pszczynie,
Straszny wszczyna szum.
Mąż gżegżółki w chaszczach trzeszczy,
W krzakach drzemie kszyk.
A w Trzemesznie straszy jeszcze wytrzeszcz oczu strzyg.:haha:

SloKid

Well done! Gut gemacht, Rauchen ist schlect, Tennis ist gut. :D

DutchieGirl

yeah exactly. We never really stuied much eastern European history in school - just the usual stuff with WW2, and then it was mainly Russia and Poland, but nothing really about the Balkans, etc... it's sad actually, coa it would be very interesting. I even studied a bit of history at University, but it was Imperialist history (and it was boring as hell). :tape:

pla
But some Bulgarians dont accept it.

So we are brothers and Sisters :)

Well, some Bulgarians don't accept the fact that some Turkish people think that all the Turkic people are in fact Turkish. Do you understand me? :)

That's what I adore of the Balkans, we are all brothers and sisters to some extend of course and that's why we hate each other so much :lol: (at least we used to in the past).

DutchieGirl
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Well done! Gut gemacht, Rauchen ist schlect, Tennis ist gut. :D

:haha: Even I can understand this! :D

pla
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Straszny wszczyna szum.

If I read this, do you give me a Masters degree? :D :haha:

SloKid
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Straszny wszczyna szum.

It has something to do with guards, right?

Pszczelny
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Straszny wszczyna szum.

it's not easy even for Poles :haha:

DutchieGirl

Straszny wszczyna szum.

OMG! wtf did you just say? :scratch: :angel:

tobi
hmm not many people at my scool used to smoke. Most were more into alcohol! ;)
well my friends were into both,maybe third one ;) do you understand?? :p

DutchieGirl
If I read this, do you give me a Masters degree? :D :haha:

I can *read* it - doesn't mean I understand any of it though! ;)

Tenisci
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Well, some Bulgarians don't accept the fact that some Turkish people think that all the Turkic people are in fact Turkish. Do you understand me? :)

That's what I adore of the Balkans, we are all brothers and sisters to some extend of course and that's why we hate each other so much :lol: (at least we used to in the past).

we dont hate anybody

Btw, Turkic is used for Azeris, Kazakhs, Uzbeks, Kyrgzs and Turkmens :)

Iorhael
Sep 30th, 2005, 01:31 PM
It has something to do with guards, right?
Not really.:angel: