PDA

View Full Version : Two Days in Edinburgh - suggestions?

drake3781
Sep 29th, 2005, 06:34 AM
I have a business trip in the UK in the middle of October so I planned two days vacation in Edinburgh beforehand.

Anybody visited or lived there, and have suggestions to get the most out of two days? I'll be alone but used to travelling alone a lot, so no problem. And will not have a car.

Also work is in Newcastle.... will have only the evenings free... but will take suggestions about Newcastle also.

Thanks in advance!

Grachka
Sep 29th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Well the obvious first thing to suggest is the castle. Personally, it might not be life altering, but its a nice wee thing and you get a really nice scenic photo of Edinburgh and you usually have a nice guide telling you about all the history n' stuff, so its worth doing. Its expensive, but then again, everything in Edinburgh is.

At nights I guess you could head to the Playhouse or the Usher Hall if you are into plays and/or musicals. Its obviously not the quality of the West End, Broadway etc. but its a nice enough place, and not too far off Princes Street, which is the central hub of Edinburgh, and the quality's been good when I've been :) I guess it also depends what you are into, because there are always art exhibitions and ballet groups here...I think there is some sort of Ganguin/Cezanne exhibition thing going on somewhere.

Personally, I think the main attraction of going to Edinburgh is actually getting out and seeing the city, because the layout is so amazing - literally a combination of ancient and modern - and you should be walking as much as possible. You can also get some tours from Princes Street if you want, which are usually good, and lets you see some of the parts of the city a tourist might not normally see. But there are always wee things to see on all the side streets around the Royal Mile, museums that might be of interest (I recommend the Museum of Scotland, on Chambers Street, 5 mins from the Royal Mile - Great museums, I tell you).

A word of warning, I personally wouldn't bother with the 'Edinburgh Dungeon Experience'. We did it, and....well...it was shite.

Have a nice time :)

Grachka
Sep 29th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Oh, I forgot, if you have a chance, go and see Mary King's Close. Its on the Royal Mile, so very central. Its an underground street that was perfectly preserved from a time eons ago. Very interesting :yeah:

!<blocparty>!
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:38 AM
The pink triangle. I've heard amazing things about this place.

paul_masterton
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:06 AM
do a witchery tour or mary king's close.

MKC was a street that was blocked off during the plague and everyone there as left to rot. then they excavated it back up and you can wander about ;) it's been on most haunted and stuff. VERY good

just go for lots of walks. the old and new town, get an open top bus if you want but u have to do the castle. its not overly exciting but u have to do it.

as an edinburger like obata_fan i'd say do little things, like go and sit in the gardens if its an okay day with your lunch. there are tons of galleries and museums if you like that sort of thing. and a ton of pubs if u dont.

GET PUBLIC TRANSPORT ie buses, taxis are ludicrously expensive

controlfreak
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:43 AM
On the subject of Mary King's Close, I've done that and personally I thought it was rubbish. It's the usual thing where you are taken on a guided tour of these ancient underground houses. It's full of smelly smells and fake plague victims, but in truth there is so little of interest down there that the guide has to fill up 45 minutes with silly ghost stories and scary rumours which are probably all made up.

I don't know what else there is in Edinburgh (I'd look into spending some serious time in pubs) but it's got to be better than that!

propi
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Lucky you!!!
Most beautiful city I've ever been :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Dahveed
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I went there for a weekend last summer, i really enjoyed this city. But i did the 'lazy' tour, i mean i just took one of those sightseeing city tour buses and just stayed in the bus for 2 or 3 tours, one with the headphones on, the last 2 just admiring the city by my own eyes and me and my friend's personal own (funner) commentaries ;) Other than that, i'll recommend that park just off Princess Street, it's beautiful (even more with good weather like we had but don't expect much at this time of year..)

Ah also! We went for dinner in that fun restaurant, Frankestein, it's inside some kind of old cathedral and the atmosphere there is wicked! Even the food was good, cheap and the staff there is incredibly lovely! Actually i don't recall any rude Scottish, the people there are very nice. I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip whatever you do! :)

Grachka
Sep 29th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I went there for a weekend last summer, i really enjoyed this city. But i did the 'lazy' tour, i mean i just took one of those sightseeing city tour buses and just stayed in the bus for 2 or 3 tours, one with the headphones on, the last 2 just admiring the city by my own eyes and me and my friend's personal own (funner) commentaries ;) Other than that, i'll recommend that park just off Princess Street, it's beautiful (even more with good weather like we had but don't expect much at this time of year..)

Ah also! We went for dinner in that fun restaurant, Frankestein, it's inside some kind of old cathedral and the atmosphere there is wicked! Even the food was good, cheap and the staff there is incredibly lovely! Actually i don't recall any rude Scottish, the people there are very nice. I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip whatever you do! :)
OMG, i have a story about Frankenstein's :tape: It involves drink which is why I won't explain :p

Grachka
Sep 29th, 2005, 12:03 PM
The pink triangle. I've heard amazing things about this place.
:tape: :lol:

Paule22
Sep 29th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah. Go to Glasgow.

Avid Merrion
Sep 29th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Yeah. Go to Glasgow.
:lol: damn, you beat me to it :worship:

martinailuv
Sep 29th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah. Go to Glasgow.

iíve never been to edinburgh but i have been to glasgow. i didnít really like it and itís not a very pretty city.

Paule22
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM
iíve never been to edinburgh but i have been to glasgow. i didnít really like it and itís not a very pretty city.

Yeah, I know. Get out of the underground train at Ibrox and you see what Glasgow can be, very poor :(

But I like the city, Buchanan street is nice, all this Mackintosh stuff and some of the indian restaurants. I have a good feeling, when I'm in Glasgow.

Avid Merrion
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I know. Get out of the underground train at Ibrox and you see what Glasgow can be, very poor :(

But I like the city, Buchanan street is nice, all this Mackintosh stuff and some of the indian restaurants. I have a good feeling, when I'm in Glasgow.
true, but all cities have their dodgy areas. even Edinburgh :p

i like to wander off the touristy bits of any city i visit. gives you a real feel of what the place is like instead of just the glossy tourist magazine image :)

Paule22
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
true, but all cities have their dodgy areas. even Edinburgh :p

i like to wander off the touristy bits of any city i visit. gives you a real feel of what the place is like instead of just the glossy tourist magazine image :)

Sure, thats what I do as well. Copenhagen is a great example for that.

Avid Merrion
Sep 29th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Sure, thats what I do as well. Copenhagen is a great example for that.
:cool: you been to Barcelona? i'm going there next month, any tips would be appreciated.

apologies to drake for hijacking your thread :o

!<blocparty>!
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:02 PM
:cool: you been to Barcelona? i'm going there next month, any tips would be appreciated.

apologies to drake for hijacking your thread :o

How much info do you need :rolleyes:

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=188952

Pffftness :p

Avid Merrion
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:06 PM
How much info do you need :rolleyes:

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=188952

Pffftness :p
shut up, i need more damnit!!!! :fiery:

:lol:

tennisjam
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:22 PM
don't forget an umbrella...

adss
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:00 AM
walk up arthur's seat and along the crags, the view from there is amazing. :hearts:

drake3781
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all the input so far!! It's almost like having friends there.

Is a day trip to Inverness feasible? (There and back in the same day?) I only have Friday AM to Sunday noon.