PDA

View Full Version : US Soldier Sentenced to Three Years in Jail

!<blocparty>!
Sep 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM
1pm update
Abu Ghraib soldier sentenced to three years in jail

Staff and agencies
Wednesday September 28, 2005

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2005/09/28/englandARTICLE.jpg

A US soldier was last night sentenced to three years in jail and given a dishonourable discharge for her role in the abuse of detainees at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.Lynndie England appeared in several photographs that were published around the world of prisoners in degrading poses.

In one image, the 22-year-old soldier held a naked prisoner on a leash; in others she posed with a pyramid of naked detainees and pointed at a prisoner's genitals.

Her sentencing concluded the last of nine courts martial of soldiers charged in the abuse scandal, which tarnished the US military at home and abroad. She was convicted on Monday on six of the seven counts against her.

The charges carried a sentence of up to nine years in jail, but the prosecutor, Captain Chris Graveline, asked the jury to imprison her for four to six years.

In sentencing testimony, England apologised for her actions and said she remained an American patriot.

"After the photos were released, I've heard that attacks were made on US armed forces because of them," she said.

"I apologise to coalition forces and all the families," England told the jury of five officers. She also apologised to "detainees, the families, America and all the soldiers".

She said she had posed for the photos at the behest of Private Charles Graner Jr, the boyfriend who she said had taken advantage of her love and trust while they were deployed in Iraq. "I was used by Private Graner," she said. "I didn't realise it at the time."

Iraqis reacted angrily today on hearing of England's lenient sentence.

"America should be ashamed of this sentence. This is the best evidence that Americans have double standards," said a retired bus driver in Baghdad. "There are Iraqis in jail without any charge, just based on suspicion, but when it comes to Americans the matter is totally different."

Graner is serving a 10-year sentence for abuses at the prison.

Helen Lawson
Sep 28th, 2005, 06:01 PM
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but is it just me, or is this chick like a little slow, like Soon-Yi Previn slow?

SelesFan70
Sep 28th, 2005, 06:08 PM
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but is it just me, or is this chick like a little slow, like Soon-Yi Previn slow?

I dunno, but she's comes of as quite the...errrr....uhhhhhhhh....ehhhhhhhhh...dyke.

Helen Lawson
Sep 28th, 2005, 06:11 PM
I dunno, but she's comes of as quite the...errrr....uhhhhhhhh....ehhhhhhhhh...dyke.

Agreed, but she got knocked up while in Iraq by her sargeant. She just had her baby like 6 months ago!

No, if you listen to her talk and stuff, really, she seems like more than a little slow.

Cariaoke
Sep 28th, 2005, 06:25 PM
just three?

skanky~skanketta
Sep 28th, 2005, 06:27 PM
:woohoo:

good for her. :rolleyes:

creep
Sep 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I love Lyndee! :kiss: :hearts: :drool: :lick:

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I see Playboy magazine in her near future...

creep
Sep 28th, 2005, 06:37 PM

I wonder does she shave her minge much?

Rocketta
Sep 28th, 2005, 09:50 PM

Yeah I've never heard her speak but she does "look" a little slow and so does Soon-Yi...:eek:

Ryan
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Haha, I thought I was the only one who'd think she was a little dumb. Anyway, good for her, soon she'll become some big, strong girl's bitch and have Muffy tattoed across her back! :bounce:

SelesFan70
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I wonder does she shave her minge much?

Rumor has it she has it shaved in the shape of lightning bolt (like Samantha on "Sex And The City") :devil:

wta_zuperfann
Sep 29th, 2005, 02:58 AM
3 years for rape and torture that led to the deaths or suicides of innocent Iraqis: this is what Republicans call "compassionate conservatism".

Scotso
Sep 29th, 2005, 09:18 AM
I agree, three years is not enough for a war criminal.

Curtis F
Sep 29th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I'd like to think she's the exception and not the rule but the stories that circulate about the American miltary...

Scotso
Sep 29th, 2005, 04:26 PM
I have no doubt that most of our soldiers are patriotic and honorable people.

But there are a few exceptions, and they need to be dealt with harshly.

jrm
Sep 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM
and that arrogant walk and posture :rolleyes:

Lord Nelson
Sep 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM
3 years for rape and torture that led to the deaths or suicides of innocent Iraqis: this is what Republicans call "compassionate conservatism".
glad to see that you want to be tough on crime. Unfortunetly here in Europe sometimes when you commit murder you are out within 8 years. So good to see that Amrican liberals are tougher than European liberals. :yeah:

By the way you should realize that the judicial branch is separate from the legislative and executive branches. So Bush has nothing to do with the sentence.

Kart
Sep 29th, 2005, 08:47 PM

... with a leash involved in the photo shoot no doubt.

samp20
Sep 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Three years? That's it?