PDA

View Full Version : Hostage Gave Meth to Atlanta Fugitive

Rocketta
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Hostage Gave Meth to Atlanta Fugitive

By GREG BLUESTEIN, Associated Press Writer 7 minutes ago

Ashley Smith, the woman who says she persuaded suspected courthouse gunman Brian Nichols to release her by talking about her faith, discloses in a new book that she gave him methamphetamine during the hostage ordeal.

Smith did not share that detail with authorities at the time. But investigators said she came clean about the drugs when they interviewed her months later. They said they have no plans to charge her with drug possession.

In her book, "Unlikely Angel," released Tuesday, Smith says Nichols had her bound on her bed with masking tape and an extension cord. She says he asked for marijuana, but she did not have any, and she dug into her illegal stash of crystal meth instead.

Smith, a 27-year-old widowed mother who gained widespread praise for her level-headedness, says the seven-hour hostage ordeal in March led to the realization that she was a drug addict, and she says she has not used drugs since the night before she was taken captive.

"If I did die, I wasn't going to heaven and say, `Oh, excuse me, God. Let me wipe my nose, because I just did some drugs before I got here,'" Smith told the Augusta Chronicle.

Police said Nichols took Smith hostage in her apartment March 11 after a shooting rampage at the Atlanta courthouse.

During the ordeal, Smith says, she pulled out Rick Warren's book "The Purpose-Driven Life" and read to Nichols a chapter called "Using What God Gave Me" to gain his trust. Nichols later released her, and she called 911 and told authorities where to find him.

Nichols is accused of killing four people, including a judge, and could get the death penalty.

Since Nichols' arrest, Smith has received $70,000 in rewards and has been bombarded with offers for books, movies and speaking engagements. Her ordeal has been held up as an example of the redemptive power of faith.

"It's hard for people to understand the miracle of the story," she told the newspaper. "This was totally a God thing, to me in my life. This was God getting my attention, going, `I'm going to give you one more chance.'"

Financial details of the book have not been released, but Smith pledged to donate an undisclosed portion of the book's proceeds to a memorial fund for the victims.

Calls to Nichols' attorneys were not immediately returned Tuesday. Prosecution spokesman Erik Friedly would not comment on the case.

Smith says in her book that as the night wore on — after Nichols had snorted some of Smith's meth — she tried to win Nichols' trust by talking about her faith in God and relating to him her personal stories.

She says she told him how her husband had died in her arms four years earlier after being stabbed during a brawl.

She writes that she asked Nichols if he wanted to see the danger of drugs and lifted up her tank top several inches to reveal a five-inch scar down the center of her torso — the aftermath of a car wreck caused by drug-induced psychosis. She says she let go of the steering wheel when she heard a voice saying, "Let go and let God."

Rocketta
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:37 PM
You know that whole Atlanta thing was weird......I wonder if we will ever know why he snapped.....and the angelic hostage turned out to be a Meth addict. Just weird....maybe that's why they kind of bonded.....:unsure:

btw, of course the police shouldn't charge her for drug possession being a hostage of someone who just killed a bunch of people is enough....but I wonder if it was actually the drugs that got through to him?? I mean would he have let her go if he wasn't able to zonk out on Meth? :scratch:

Stamp Paid
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:38 PM
lol@let go and let god

Pureracket
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Well, I knew something was going on. She was a working class-looking woman who didn't have custody of her child. I don't think that that's EVER happened to a southern woman who didn't have some serious drug issues.

decemberlove
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:41 PM
She wanted to fuck him...

Staticbeef
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:43 PM
lol@let go and let god
Also, gives new meaning to easy does it, lol, wonder if he knocked them boots, will that be in the book???? :lol:

decemberlove
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Meth as a replacement for weed? :scared: WTF? She's lucky he didn't get angry on the meth and hurt her.

Rocketta
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Meth as a replacement for weed? :scared: WTF? She's lucky he didn't get angry on the meth and hurt her.

Well he was so crazy it probably worked the opposite on him. :tape:

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Well, she helped with the sale of the The Purpose Driven Life book.

I wonder if she would have gotten all the publicity that culminated with this book deal.

Cariaoke
Sep 28th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I think she should be charged.

Plenty of people have been taken hostage and charged with crimes committed during their ordeal. What makes her any different?

~ The Leopard ~
Sep 28th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Oh dear.

Lord Nelson
Sep 28th, 2005, 12:52 PM
yeah like that Cindy Sheehan who also should be charged, agree.

marmite1
Sep 28th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Meth is supposed to be better than weed, although i dont know that from experience.

"Sluggy"
Sep 28th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Moral of the story: We should all walk around with weed and meth in case we get held hostage.

I find it disgusting that people would make money off this kind of thing. "Wow look at me, i convinced someone to let me go by talking to them about God"... not really worth more then a few cents to me.

Cariaoke
Sep 28th, 2005, 12:58 PM
for protesting, which is covered under the first amendment... yeah that makes sense. :retard:

ampers&
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Meth is supposed to be better than weed, although i dont know that from experience.

wah? :speakles:
:( nothing's better than weed.:armed:

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:00 PM

I disagree that she should be charged.
But what does this have to do with Cindy Sheehan?

marmite1
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:05 PM
wah? :speakles:
:( nothing's better than weed.:armed:

And you would know how? Weed is good, but i can't make a judgement when havent tried the other.

ampers&
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:11 PM
And you would know how? Weed is good, but i can't make a judgement when havent tried the other.
i was OBVIOUSLY just joking.
jeez...some people...:rolleyes:

"Sluggy"
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Meth is a bad drug - i have heard of people going crazy from that shit. isnt it a hallucinagenic? I know someone personally who knew someone, who basically lost all faculties, went to the hospital and a year later she was still out of it. better to slowly waste away your mind with weed. :lol: :bounce:

ampers&
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:20 PM
better to slowly waste away your mind with weed. :lol: :bounce:
exac...wait...hmmm....:unsure:.

marmite1
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:28 PM
i was OBVIOUSLY just joking.
jeez...some people...:rolleyes:

Its hard to tell with people around here :lol:

marmite1
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Meth is a bad drug - i have heard of people going crazy from that shit. isnt it a hallucinagenic? I know someone personally who knew someone, who basically lost all faculties, went to the hospital and a year later she was still out of it. better to slowly waste away your mind with weed. :lol: :bounce:

Apparently you can die quite easily from taking an overdose.

decemberlove
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:46 PM

It's hard to compare the two cos they are such different drugs. If you want to feel temporarily insane, then meth is the drug for you.

Helen Lawson
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Gotta love it, the all-American single mom/hero has a stash of crystal meth!!

There are a lot more "normal" drug addicts in the US than anyone cares to believe or recognize.

"Sluggy"
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Apparently you can die quite easily from taking an overdose.

I believe it, or you can be unlucky and just go crazy forever.

~ The Leopard ~
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:48 PM
isnt it a hallucinagenic?

And?

~ The Leopard ~
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Personally, the only illegal drugs I've ever used are dope and acid ... but each to their own. What annoys me isn't the drugs; it's all the religious crap. Give me a break.

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Gotta love it, the all-American single mom/hero has a stash of crystal meth!!

There are a lot more "normal" drug addicts in the US than anyone cares to believe or recognize.

Talking about "normal" drug addicts in the US, has Rush Limbaugh ever discussed this topic by the way.

Helen Lawson
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Talking about "normal" drug addicts in the US, has Rush Limbaugh ever discussed this topic by the way.

Hon, I'm not the type to listen to his show, BOY OH BOY, am I not the type. But from what I understand, he does not discuss it.

~ The Leopard ~
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Religion is the opiate of the people. It's a way of being permanently deluded about reality. Funny that we don't try to prohibit it, but we prohibit all these substances with merely temporary effects.

Infiniti2001
Sep 28th, 2005, 02:05 PM

:armed: Meanwhile , something about the hostage never seemed right for me. She never came across as being truthful :tape:

SelesFan70
Sep 28th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I would have given him "mouth", not "meth". He is rather hot...despite being a murderer. :unsure:

tennisbum79
Sep 28th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Hon, I'm not the type to listen to his show, BOY OH BOY, am I not the type. But from what I understand, he does not discuss it.

Did not imply you were a ditto head.
I listen to it my car when driving during lunch time. I get a kick out it.
All the callers agree with him, and always seems so deferential to him and affraid to be hung up on that they bring little to the show.Since he never has a guest, he might as well do a 3-hour monologue

Rocketta
Sep 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM
I think she should be charged.

Plenty of people have been taken hostage and charged with crimes committed during their ordeal. What makes her any different?

That's a rhetorical question, right? ;)

decemberlove
Sep 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Well he was so crazy it probably worked the opposite on him. :tape:

Ha! Actually, that's probably true.

"Sluggy"
Sep 28th, 2005, 02:59 PM
And?

They are dangerous.

*roddicksinme*
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:02 PM
how brilliant, give him some meth so he can stay up for another day or two and go a little more crazy at some point along the way :yeah:

Rocketta
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Religion is the opiate of the people. It's a way of being permanently deluded about reality. Funny that we don't try to prohibit it, but we prohibit all these substances with merely temporary effects.

how exactly is killing brain cells temporary....not to mention the emotional and social impact that it has on the user, anyone who loves them or that they hurt while they are under these temporary effects.

decemberlove
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM
They are dangerous.

It's not really considered a hallucinogen - it's more of a stimulant, though continued use can cause hallucinations. It's a bit like cocaine, but intensified.

"Sluggy"
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:17 PM
It's not really considered a hallucinogen - it's more of a stimulant, though continued use can cause hallucinations. It's a bit like cocaine, but intensified.

Oh I see. i was only trying to say that i knew someone who gave someone some and they were carted off to the hopsital. they eventually got out, but they were incapable of holding a conversation. I think that people with some forms of mental illness are much more vulnerable to drugs that other people would be able to sleep off the next day. ;)

tterb
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I don't so much mind the drugs, but this comment: "This was totally a God thing, to me in my life. This was God getting my attention, going, `I'm going to give you one more chance.'" :fiery:

Yes, honey, your life was clearly important enough that God decided to have a criminal kill 4 people and take you as a hostage in order to send you a fucking message. Get over your sense of self-importance. It's disgusting.

On that note, I severely dislike the notion that all things happen for a reason. It's a comforting way of thinking, I suppose, but I'm not buying it.

Cariaoke
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:26 PM
That's a rhetorical question, right? ;)
No...

Patty Hearst, anyone?

spartanfan
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM
better to slowly waste away your mind with weed. :lol: [/QUOTE]

I know several "older" people in their 50's who have smoked weed since their teens and early 20's and are successful and fully functioning driven people. I don't think weed wastes one's mind like the hype says. Hell I don't think its any worse than alcohol.

Rocketta
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:40 PM
No...

Patty Hearst, anyone?

Haha, yeah but didn't Patty get caught on film toting a semi-automatic and help them rob a bank or something?

"Sluggy"
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM
On that note, I severely dislike the notion that all things happen for a reason. It's a comforting way of thinking, I suppose, but I'm not buying it.

I have to agree with you here. The big 3 religions agree that things happen for a reason. its actually part of the holiest of Jewish prayers, "The Lord is One", which basically means that everything that happens is within Gods plan. Its silly to me though. Randomness does exist, but of course, it exists within certain confines, but yes, I agree, everything does not happen for a reason. ;)

"Sluggy"
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:45 PM
better to slowly waste away your mind with weed. :lol:

Good Point Sluggy

I know several "older" people in their 50's who have smoked weed since their teens and early 20's and are successful and fully functioning driven people. I don't think weed wastes one's mind like the hype says. Hell I don't think its any worse than alcohol.

fine, if its not worse than alcohol, does that make it ok? Alcohol does lots of damage to the brain and more the heart, liver etc. Weed slows down your ability to concentrate, affects short term memory, and has lots of other negative side effects and ...... excuse me, i just needed to take another bong hit ... what was the question again? :confused:

Cariaoke
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Haha, yeah but didn't Patty get caught on film toting a semi-automatic and help them rob a bank or something?
right...

so if someone freely admits they broke the law... they should be charged... ;)

Rocketta
Sep 28th, 2005, 04:14 PM
right...

so if someone freely admits they broke the law... they should be charged... ;)

well I agree but I'm just saying why one got charged and the other didn't.

spartanfan
Sep 29th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Good Point Sluggy

fine, if its not worse than alcohol, does that make it ok? Alcohol does lots of damage to the brain and more the heart, liver etc. Weed slows down your ability to concentrate, affects short term memory, and has lots of other negative side effects and ...... excuse me, i just needed to take another bong hit ... what was the question again? :confused:

My point is simply that there are a lot of things that are "bad" for us: junk food, fast food, high frutose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, fried foods, processed packaged foods, white bread, chemical additives, soft drinks, artificial food color, etc, etc, etc.. Get my point. And I would hazard to guess that the typical American diet poses a great health risk to the public at large than smoking weed.