PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'm Watching Ice Skating...Why Can't I Make Myself Like Michelle Kwan?

SelesFan70
Sep 27th, 2005, 02:54 AM
I've just never liked her. :o :shrug:

vw.
Sep 27th, 2005, 03:08 AM
wow.... michelle is succch an awesome person and skater! I dont know why you dont like her! :shrug:

LUIS9
Sep 27th, 2005, 03:10 AM

Its the same with me and Henin Hardenne, I do admire her technical game but I dont go gu gu gah gah for her as many do. Yes her backhand is gorgeous but so what, there are more effective backhands then hers. Oh well Kwan is still the graceful queen of skating, however, Lipinski was like the Graf of Skating while she did it professionally. She could do more triples than most man can, at least on the american side of things. I bet you if she tried or practiced landing quadruple jumps she would, what a little jock she was.

SelesFan70
Sep 27th, 2005, 03:12 AM
I like her skating...although she's not as technically sound to get those 6.0 she's gotten in the past... :tape: but something about "her" I'm not liking. I just can't put my finger on it. I really want to like her because she's American...I'm sure she'll represent the USA in World's just fine. :)

LUIS9
Sep 27th, 2005, 03:18 AM
I like her skating...although she's not as technically sound to get those 6.0 she's gotten in the past... :tape: but something about "her" I'm not liking. I just can't put my finger on it. I really want to like her because she's American...I'm sure she'll represent the USA in World's just fine. :)

Not on the world competition, isnt Slustkaya back and skating well? She still can land at least one triple triple combo, like triple flip triple flip, Kwan could only land the triple salcow and a double or another easy triple after the salcow. That wouldnt be enough for the Gold medal or 1st place contention. Her free program and artistic merit still keep her solidly in the top 3 spots. Isnt Cohen doing pretty well as well? I havent watched skating since 02 I guess.

backhanddtl4
Sep 27th, 2005, 05:59 AM
How can you hate someone so graceful?

Diesel
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Michelle Kwan is what the sport needed the time she came in. I'll always remember how she stated that she didn't lose the gold medal, she won the silver. There's just that something about her that draws me to her -- on top of the fact that she has the most interesting, graceful routines out there. The Vera Wang outfits help a lot as well :lol: I'll miss her when she's gone but I want her to get that gold although she doesn't need it to round out all she's achieved.

LUIS9
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Michelle Kwan is what the sport needed the time she came in. I'll always remember how she stated that she didn't lose the gold medal, she won the silver. There's just that something about her that draws me to her -- on top of the fact that she has the most interesting, graceful routines out there. The Vera Wang outfits help a lot as well :lol: I'll miss her when she's gone but I want her to get that gold although she doesn't need it to round out all she's achieved.

Yes her graceful lines do it for me, and her Vera Wang ensembles just fit the whole program marvelously and she always selects the right music choreography combo.

BigB08822
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Not on the world competition, isnt Slustkaya back and skating well? She still can land at least one triple triple combo, like triple flip triple flip, Kwan could only land the triple salcow and a double or another easy triple after the salcow. That wouldnt be enough for the Gold medal or 1st place contention. Her free program and artistic merit still keep her solidly in the top 3 spots. Isnt Cohen doing pretty well as well? I havent watched skating since 02 I guess.

Well you have much to learn. First off, Michelle did the 3toe/3toe on MANY occasions. Don't know where you got this salchow business from. Secondly, Slutskaya has never done a 3flip/3flip. No one has, it is impossible to do as a combination, it requires a change of edge. Slutskaya has done 3lutz/3loop, 3salchow/3loop, 3toe/3toe, and maybe another. Michelle has attempted the 3lutz/3loop but fell on the back end during Skate Canada 2001. Kwan also was seen doing 3salchow/3loop in warmups going into the 2001 Worlds long program but she opted to not go for it in the program, didn't need to, and won.

Dawn Marie
Sep 27th, 2005, 08:31 AM
You just have to love Kwan!!

I enjoy her personality and her dedication to the love of skating. she actually enjoys competing and loves to skate.

Sam L
Sep 27th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Michelle's da best!

SelesFan70
Sep 27th, 2005, 01:25 PM
How can you hate someone so graceful?

I don't "hate" her... :p The only female ice skaters I've ever hated was Nancy Kerrigan...before and after Tonya's goons got her knee.

PaulieM
Sep 27th, 2005, 02:58 PM
i've never really liked her either :shrug:

kabuki
Sep 27th, 2005, 03:02 PM

I would think that anyone with as much perseverance, discipline, character, and class as Michelle would be like by everyone. :p

kabuki
Sep 27th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I don't "hate" her... :p The only female ice skaters I've ever hated was Nancy Kerrigan...before and after Tonya's goons got her knee.

Me too. :o

When she sat there on the ground crying "Why?!" I had less than optimal sympathy.

Lachrymarum
Sep 27th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I've never been a fan of hers either.
Give me Slutskaya, Arakawa, Cohen or Sebestyn anyday.

Harju.
Sep 27th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Michelle is hotness. :hearts:

Helen Lawson
Sep 27th, 2005, 04:41 PM
She seems like a sweet girl, but secretly, I kind of don't like her because she's had like a lot of opportunities to win the Gold Metal, and she never has, so I sort of view her, deep down, as a loser. Maybe that's why you don't like her.
My favorite skater was that Russian blonde girl who turned into an alcoholic, she was so beautiful on the ice, so graceful, it was like art in motion. None of the other skaters I really see that in. Yamaguchhi does nothing for me, either does that red-head from Long Island. Nancy Kerrigan looked like Lindsay on ice--anything but graceful. I respect these dames for their accomplishments, but I really only saw true beauty on ice/in motion with the Russian blonde girl.

sioul
Sep 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM
oh gawd i love michelle kwan. you know its kind of funny. i've noticed alot of similarities between skating and tennis. i love michelle kwan because she doesnt really on raw power to win and do well. she is a smaller girl and doesnt have some of the "weapons" that a slutskyaya or whoever else has. sort of like my favorite player of all time MARTINA HINGIS.

and sure michelle won like a 6 world championships or something like that, but she never own the olympic gold but came close to it a few times, kind of like how martina hingis has more slam finals then titles. but she won 40 other titles with loads of tier 1's....

i just never enjoy what a slutskaya did, i appreciated it for what it was, sort of like me watching a venus williams. i think she is great, i think her shots are very good, and she hits some great winners but its not the same as watching martina hingis, just like kwan vs. a powerhouse.

btw i know i spelled slutksyaya wrong dont jump all over me!

i bet you most fans of the power players on this board love irena over kwan :D

danra
Sep 27th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Anybody know who the Swiss skater was - Natalie Something I think - who was around the same time as Kerrigan and did the most amazing spins? Near-zero jump ability as I remember.

Fantastic
Sep 27th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I don't get many opportunities to watch figure skating but from what I've seen of her, Kwan seems almost passive-aggressive on the ice. She keeps up a "nice" facade while performing but her one-eyed focus and competitive drive sometimes peaks through and makes her seem less nice. It may not be the case off the ice, but certainly, on the ice, she's as sinister as they come but hides it well. I don't not like her for that. I think she's great at what she does and anything she has to do to get herself up there is just what she has to do. I may be completely wrong about her, but that's just another opinion.

Fantastic
Sep 27th, 2005, 05:57 PM
She seems like a sweet girl, but secretly, I kind of don't like her because she's had like a lot of opportunities to win the Gold Metal, and she never has, so I sort of view her, deep down, as a loser. Maybe that's why you don't like her.
My favorite skater was that Russian blonde girl who turned into an alcoholic, she was so beautiful on the ice, so graceful, it was like art in motion. None of the other skaters I really see that in. Yamaguchhi does nothing for me, either does that red-head from Long Island. Nancy Kerrigan looked like Lindsay on ice--anything but graceful. I respect these dames for their accomplishments, but I really only saw true beauty on ice/in motion with the Russian blonde girl.

I think you mean Oksana Baiul. I loved her too! She was from Odessa in the Ukraine and didn't speak a word of English when she won Olympic Gold in 1994. A few years on, she hit the bottle hard and sunk to rock bottom when she crashed her car pretty badly. She even went on Oprah, completely decked out in a tacky gold outfit, bless her alcoholic soul, and told her life story and struggles in overcoming her mother's death, her orphaned life and the separation anxiety from her homeland she experienced when she moved to the US to further her skating. She lives in New York City now, I think. She was an awesome skater. Funny thing was, if you asked her to, she could never skate in a straight line on one leg and touch her nose with her eyes closed.

Helen Lawson
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:02 PM
I think you mean Oksana Baiul. I loved her too! She was from Odessa in the Ukraine and didn't speak a word of English when she won Olympic Gold in 1994. A few years on, she hit the bottle hard and sunk to rock bottom when she crashed her car pretty badly. She even went on Oprah, completely decked out in a tacky gold outfit, bless her alcoholic soul, and told her life story and struggles in overcoming her mother's death, her orphaned life and the separation anxiety from her homeland she experienced when she moved to the US to further her skating. She lives in New York City now, I think. She was an awesome skater. Funny thing was, if you asked her to, she could never skate in a straight line on one leg and touch her nose with her eyes closed.

That's her!! I thought she was the most beautiful skater to watch, just so amazing and graceful. I watched her win the Gold, and I'm like what's all the fuss about Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding, neither is even in the same league at Oksana. I know she barely beat Nancy, but not to my eyes!!

Natarajasana
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Anybody know who the Swiss skater was - Natalie Something I think - who was around the same time as Kerrigan and did the most amazing spins? Near-zero jump ability as I remember.
Lucinda Ruh perhaps? She's my all-time favorite female figure skater! No....she didn't win any major medals but I could care less. Quite frankly, I think that jumps are overrated. I see one jump I've seen them all. Spins on the other hand are quite different. Love 'em!
As far as Kwan is concerned - she's okay in my book. As for what Helen Lawson wrote about her being a loser.....well Michelle Kwan has accomplised more on the ice than any other female figure skater so she is far from being a loser (true - no Olympic gold but she has many World titles to make up for that).
:)

selesfan1
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Lucinda Rue is the only skater from Switzerland that comes to mind that may have been in competition around that time. Now there is Sarah Meir but I dunno about her spins.

Michelle seems like a nice person and is so focused. She has been a consistent top 3 for over 10 years.

Brooks.
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:35 PM
the last olympics was so sad when she didnt win :sad: ......it was the first time i had ever even watched figure skating and michelle was the only current skater i had even heard of.....i wanted her to win so bad..if there was any justice in the world she will get the gold at the next olympics ;)

Brooks.
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:37 PM
speaking of which....did any of you guys see that will and grace episode where they were talking about michelle after the olympics...something about how will was going to be the saddest person on this cruise ship he was going on....and then grace was like you wont be the saddest person.....michelle kwan..... :lol: :lol:

Renee
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Michelle Kwan and Nancy Kerrigan reminds me of the counter punchers in tennis. They are good but they take no risks. Just play it safe, do the required jumps and spins and not make any mistakes.

Oksana Baiul, on the other hand was a ballerina on the ice. The girl was on her toes and the choreography was perfect. I remember Nancy Kerrigan whining "she two-footed one of the landings":p . She did but Nancy Kerrigan was like a robot just going thru the routine....nothing special. When it comes to ice skating Russians rule!

VivalaSeles
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Oksana Baiul is my favourite skater of all time too :hearts: :kiss: Her every movement was a piece of art ... she was art in motion :hearts: Especially her arms that seemed to have a life of their own. No one has reached her level before or since, IMMHO. Lu Chen / Chen Lu was wonderful too, but later in her career (at the beginning, she was a jumping machine).

Jarrett
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I know who you are talking about. She had Tonya-esque hair and could spin like a top. She was at the 1994 Olympics. I remember seeing videos of her doing a spin nude on some "adult" oriented ice show in Europe. She is on my video of the Olympics but I don't feel like breaking that out right now. BTW, it is not Sarah or Lucinda.

SelesFan70
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:51 PM
speaking of which....did any of you guys see that will and grace episode where they were talking about michelle after the olympics...something about how will was going to be the saddest person on this cruise ship he was going on....and then grace was like you wont be the saddest person.....michelle kwan..... :lol: :lol:

:lol: I remember that one!

danra
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:03 AM
I know who you are talking about. She had Tonya-esque hair and could spin like a top. She was at the 1994 Olympics. I remember seeing videos of her doing a spin nude on some "adult" oriented ice show in Europe. She is on my video of the Olympics but I don't feel like breaking that out right now. BTW, it is not Sarah or Lucinda.

Yep, that's her. Just checked - Nathalie Kreig. :eek: - adult ice shows?!!

angele87
Sep 28th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I don't like her either and like somebody earlier said, there's just something about her that I don't like :shrug:

Jarrett
Sep 29th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Yep, that's her. Just checked - Nathalie Kreig. :eek: - adult ice shows?!!
Yup she was doing a belliman spin in a completely see through outfit. And I mean COMPLETELY.

LUIS9
Sep 29th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Well you have much to learn. First off, Michelle did the 3toe/3toe on MANY occasions. Don't know where you got this salchow business from. Secondly, Slutskaya has never done a 3flip/3flip. No one has, it is impossible to do as a combination, it requires a change of edge. Slutskaya has done 3lutz/3loop, 3salchow/3loop, 3toe/3toe, and maybe another. Michelle has attempted the 3lutz/3loop but fell on the back end during Skate Canada 2001. Kwan also was seen doing 3salchow/3loop in warmups going into the 2001 Worlds long program but she opted to not go for it in the program, didn't need to, and won.

Yes they have landed the 3flip 3flip (it must have been Pluschenko), well I guess it was the 3loop 3loop and the 3lutz 3 loop thats how Lipinski won gold in 1998. The triple toe triple toe combo is great, but that wont win Kwan the gold medal or a world championship, she hasnt won one in the past 4 yrs or so. If she could land the 3lutz combo she would be more in contention because she always gets the best marks for the artistic merit, like who ever does beat her in artistic merit?

Justin
Sep 29th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Yes they have landed the 3flip 3flip (it must have been Pluschenko), well I guess it was the 3loop 3loop and the 3lutz 3 loop thats how Lipinski won gold in 1998. The triple toe triple toe combo is great, but that wont win Kwan the gold medal or a world championship, she hasnt won one in the past 4 yrs or so. If she could land the 3lutz combo she would be more in contention because she always gets the best marks for the artistic merit, like who ever does beat her in artistic merit?

Plushenko had a half loop between his first triple jump and his triple flip, which makes is a sequence and not a combo. (I also don't think it was a 3flip/half loop/3flip... but a 3salchow/half loop/3flip, but I can't recall exactly).

Lipinski did not have a 3lutz/3loop. The 3toe/3toe won Kwan two of her five World titles. And, Kwan won Worlds two years ago in 2003.

skanky~skanketta
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:24 AM
i dont like kwan either. i adore slutskaya.

my fave "power" skater is definitely, without a doubt, surya bonaly. she may have lacked grace, but her jumps and backflips were just :eek: amazing.

gracewise, i love maria butryskaya. and she had MUCH nicer outfits than michelle.and she was gorgeous.

the skater i really cant stand is sarah hughes.

Black Mamba.
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:29 AM
I like Ms. Kwan it's just that I think she keeps choking in the Olympics.

drake3781
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:34 AM
That's her!! I thought she was the most beautiful skater to watch, just so amazing and graceful. I watched her win the Gold, and I'm like what's all the fuss about Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding, neither is even in the same league at Oksana. I know she barely beat Nancy, but not to my eyes!!

I remember seeing commentary on her and it told that she is an excellent dancer - and you could really see it in her skating. Not just the type to slide around until the next jump, but really integrated her great ease with motion into the entire program. I HATE it when they are clearly just doing something simple to get to the next jump, and then a big pause and long lead in to (another!) jump. Lot of them are like that, including Slutskaya who I dont like because of it. Cohen is my favorite now, she dazzles me, I practically swoon seeing her skate.

PaulieM
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:38 AM
my fave "power" skater is definitely, without a doubt, surya bonaly. she may have lacked grace, but her jumps and backflips were just :eek: amazing.

i used to like her a lot too.

speaking of skating, whatever happened to tara lipinksi(sp?)? :confused:

LUIS9
Sep 29th, 2005, 06:44 AM
i used to like her a lot too.

speaking of skating, whatever happened to tara lipinksi(sp?)? :confused:

Didnt she get injured or something? She still well at least like 2 or 3 years ago was doing the exhibition skating competitions, the christmas skating on Ice thing of magiggys or the pros on Ice with that professional Canadian skater dude, I think he survived cancer. Shes still has the best jumps. Those triple triples just come naturally to her, such ferocious edges and lines. What a phenomenally talented little jock she is.

BigB08822
Sep 29th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Plushenko did the 3axel/halfloop/3flip SEQUENCE. No female has ever done a 3flip on the end of a sequence that I know of.

Mariangelina
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I love Michelle. I think she's the most beautiful skater out there, (she's also pretty hot :drool: ) she's sweet but tough as hell, and she doesn't give up. If you don't like her, I think you're missing something great. The only skaters I like better are probably Salé and Pelletier.

I used to love Maria Butyrskaya. Does anyone know where she is now?

vancouverite
Sep 29th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Yup, I like Michelle, too...not one of my all-time faves, but she's graceful, talented, determined, and consistent. A pity she hasn't won Olympic gold, but then neither did many other 'great' champions who'll be remembered long after other gold medallists fade in the memory (not that there's anything wrong with being a gold medallist, mind!)...

Lipinski 'retired' from amateur competition once she'd won the Olympic gold. I remember seeing her and her mother being interviewed about it, and they basically said 'why bother, now that we've accomplished all there is to accomplish at this level'. Can't really blame her for going the professional route, as it is more lucrative, but I would have enjoyed further amateur battles against Kwan, Slutskaya, etc.

Oksana....:kiss: Hope she's back on track (I believe she's off the bottle, thank God!). What an ethereal, beautiful presence on the ice. She floated across the rink!

As for athleticism, Bonaly was pretty outstanding, even if she did come across as all clumsy arms and legs between jumps. And her horror-show mother did nothing for her attitude towards other skaters and the sport in general (anyone remember her lil' podium pout at the '94 worlds? she practically had to be dragged onto the silver medal position:eek: ).

For sheer visceral excitement, though, Midori Ito could not be touched IMHO...that woman was to skating what Eleanor Powell was to tap dancing - an absolute dynamo. I don't expect to see in many a year the quality of her triple Axel - or indeed any of her jumps in the long or short programs - at the 1990 worlds. In a word, SENSATIONAL!:worship:

Kimiko Latte
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM

I never cared for her either. I tried to figure out why that is but have never come up with a valid reason. I guess I'm just indifferent to Michelle. :shrug:

martinailuv
Sep 29th, 2005, 03:51 PM

perhaps she doesn't like you as well. :p :angel:

SelesFan70
Sep 29th, 2005, 04:25 PM
perhaps she doesn't like you as well. :p :angel:

:o

Curtis F
Sep 29th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Is it because she cut her hair? :devil:

Justin
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:15 AM
She landed a triple axel in competition? Wow...so that makes her, Midori, and Tonya Harding as the only three ladies to land the triple axel in competition, right?

Plushenko is a he. ;)

A few laides have landed the 3axel. Ito, Harding, Adada, Meisner, Nediela (sp?), and two or three others whose names escape me now.

SelesFan70
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Plushenko is a he. ;)

A few laides have landed the 3axel. Ito, Harding, Adada, Meisner, Nediela (sp?), and two or three others whose names escape me now.

:o Yes, I've been told and the gender correction has been made. .by deleting that post. :p Thanks... :wavey:

skanky~skanketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Surya!

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=surya+bonaly/v=2/SID=w/TID=I999_73/l=IVS/SIG=12m931sli/EXP=1128123288/*-http%3A//www.starsstripesandskates.org/gallery/bonaly/bonaly-mw9.jpg

http://www.starsstripesandskates.org/gallery/bonaly/bonaly-mw2.jpg

http://www.starsstripesandskates.org/gallery/bonaly/bonaly-tc3.jpg

god i love her!such athleticism!isn't she the only female skater to do backflips? and the only skater male and female to land on ONE foot?

skanky~skanketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:42 AM
more

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=surya+bonaly/v=2/SID=w/TID=I999_73/l=IVS/SIG=12rketgd0/EXP=1128123588/*-http%3A//www.starsstripesandskates.org/gallery2003/bonaly/bonaly-mw12.jpg

skanky~skanketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:47 AM
for style and elegance, maria butyrskaya

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=maria+butyrskaya/v=2/SID=w/TID=I999_73/l=IVS/SIG=12cadikb7/EXP=1128123864/*-http%3A//www.scratchspin.com/2002/stnwest02/fs-0203333.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=maria+butyrskaya/v=2/SID=w/TID=I999_73/l=IVI/SIG=129llps6o/EXP=1128123975/*-http%3A//www.icesk8r.com/2001worlds/ladies/bute-qr3.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=maria+butyrskaya/v=2/SID=w/TID=I999_73/l=IVI/SIG=12cfe0do7/EXP=1128124037/*-http%3A//kobe.cool.ne.jp/rgfigfan/Images01final/butiex.JPG

skanky~skanketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 12:48 AM
wtf are my pics not showing???

selesfan1
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Ya know, Surya I think could have medaled in Nagano because as I remember she was in 5th place going into the freeeskate and then she just did a backflip which is totally illegal and screwed up her chances. Surya just never did it for me. No french skatere ever really has. Something about the way Surya smiled and her poses seemed sinister to me.

BigB08822
Sep 30th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Surya would not have medalled in Nagano. She was injured. The only reason she placed well in the short was because she did the 3toe/3toe combination. Her 3lutz was all but gone in Nagano. The reason she did the backflip was for two reasons. One she knew she wasn't going to medal, she didn't skate that well and she didn't have the difficulty anyway. Two, it was a big FUCK YOU to the judges because she always felt cheated throughout her career.

skanky~skanketta
Sep 30th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Surya would not have medalled in Nagano. She was injured. The only reason she placed well in the short was because she did the 3toe/3toe combination. Her 3lutz was all but gone in Nagano. The reason she did the backflip was for two reasons. One she knew she wasn't going to medal, she didn't skate that well and she didn't have the difficulty anyway. Two, it was a big FUCK YOU to the judges because she always felt cheated throughout her career.another thing i loved about surya besides her athleticism was her consistency. i almost never saw her make major mistakes (barring that triple salchow she missed at nagano :mad: ).