PDA

View Full Version : Italy snaps over gay poster excess

spiceboy
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:56 PM
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1572822,00.html

Barbara McMahon in Rome
Sunday September 18, 2005
The Observer (http://www.observer.co.uk/)

Half-naked models are commonplace on Italy's advertising hoardings but a kiss between two fully dressed men has caused a furore on the streets of its capital.

Photographer Oliviero Toscani has ignited a furious debate over homosexuality with his latest adverts featuring two men kissing and groping on a sofa. The billboards have triggered outrage at a time when the rights of homosexual couples are being hotly debated in Catholic Italy.

In one poster for the men's clothing line Ra-Re, one of the models is clutching another's crotch. Another shows the same model lying across the sofa and pulling his boyfriend on top of him for a kiss.

'These posters are vulgar and a bad example for our children,' said a spokesman for the parents association MOIGE, which wants the adverts banned. 'It's not a matter of sexual orientation. They would be crass even if they featured a man and a woman.' Complaints have flooded in to the offices of Rome city council and an organisation called The Citizens Defence Movement has joined the chorus of criticism. 'Obviously we respect homosexuality but it can be difficult to explain to young children,' a spokesman said.

Toscani, who was behind the controversial Benetton clothing company adverts and whose career has been built on shock tactics, was typically unrepentant. The 63-year-old photographer admitted he had taken advantage of the current debate in Italy about the legal and civil rights of gay couples.

'There's a big discussion going on about homosexuality in Italy so I thought it was the right time to do something like this," he told The Observer. "I don't think it's vulgar. It's just two men having fun together. These parents who are complaining - their kids already know about this stuff. The Vatican is not too happy with me either but the church is an anachronism in the world today. I don't think it has any influence on young people.'

During his 18-year collaboration with Benetton, Toscani was accused of cynicism in using controversial images for commercial ends. They included a dying Aids activist, handicapped children, a man slain by the Mafia, and a nun kissing a priest. In 2000 he left the company after a campaign featuring death row inmates sparked a series of law suits. Demands for the adverts to be withdrawn have had little success. A spokesman for Rome city council said it was not their job to decide what was morally acceptable in advertising.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/numike/italyposter.jpg

Helen Lawson
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:02 PM
The guy on the bottom is cute. The other one looks like a girly-man. That being said, Helen would sleep with either/both of them. I mean, even an Italian girly-man model has some appeal.

skanky~skanketta
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:04 PM
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1572822,00.html

Barbara McMahon in Rome
Sunday September 18, 2005
The Observer (http://www.observer.co.uk/)

Half-naked models are commonplace on Italy's advertising hoardings but a kiss between two fully dressed men has caused a furore on the streets of its capital.

Photographer Oliviero Toscani has ignited a furious debate over homosexuality with his latest adverts featuring two men kissing and groping on a sofa. The billboards have triggered outrage at a time when the rights of homosexual couples are being hotly debated in Catholic Italy.

In one poster for the men's clothing line Ra-Re, one of the models is clutching another's crotch. Another shows the same model lying across the sofa and pulling his boyfriend on top of him for a kiss.

'These posters are vulgar and a bad example for our children,' said a spokesman for the parents association MOIGE, which wants the adverts banned. 'It's not a matter of sexual orientation. They would be crass even if they featured a man and a woman.' Complaints have flooded in to the offices of Rome city council and an organisation called The Citizens Defence Movement has joined the chorus of criticism. 'Obviously we respect homosexuality but it can be difficult to explain to young children,' a spokesman said.

Toscani, who was behind the controversial Benetton clothing company adverts and whose career has been built on shock tactics, was typically unrepentant. The 63-year-old photographer admitted he had taken advantage of the current debate in Italy about the legal and civil rights of gay couples.

'There's a big discussion going on about homosexuality in Italy so I thought it was the right time to do something like this," he told The Observer. "I don't think it's vulgar. It's just two men having fun together. These parents who are complaining - their kids already know about this stuff. The Vatican is not too happy with me either but the church is an anachronism in the world today. I don't think it has any influence on young people.'

During his 18-year collaboration with Benetton, Toscani was accused of cynicism in using controversial images for commercial ends. They included a dying Aids activist, handicapped children, a man slain by the Mafia, and a nun kissing a priest. In 2000 he left the company after a campaign featuring death row inmates sparked a series of law suits. Demands for the adverts to be withdrawn have had little success. A spokesman for Rome city council said it was not their job to decide what was morally acceptable in advertising.

that's the stupidest excuse i've ever heard!how do they explain children being born? storks? i'm sure they can make something up for this. :rolleyes:

anyway, nice pic. they guy on top :tape: looks hot!i want to see his face fully though.

skanky~skanketta
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:05 PM
The guy on the bottom is cute. The other one looks like a girly-man. That being said, Helen would sleep with either/both of them. I mean, even an Italian girly-man model has some appeal.i think that the guy on top is hot. but i'd sleep with both too.

that bein said, helen's a slut!

Scotso
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:06 PM
What exactly is so vulgar about that?

We're exposed to straight people doing much worse on a daily basis.

Helen Lawson
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:07 PM
i think that the guy on top is hot. but i'd sleep with both too.

that bein said, helen's a slut!

A slut?? :o Helen just calls them as she sees them. After 87 years, she's freer and easier about her sexual morals and stuff. Too bad no one will touch her at this age... :sad:

Scotso
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:09 PM
A slut?? :o Helen just calls them as she sees them. After 87 years, she's freer and easier about her sexual morals and stuff. Too bad no one will touch her at this age... :sad:

Put on a strap-on, and I'll have a go.

kabuki
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:13 PM

:speakles:

skanky~skanketta
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:14 PM
:speakles:my sentiments exactly.

anyway, helen, do u do anal?

alfajeffster
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:15 PM
The guy on the bottom is cute. The other one looks like a girly-man. That being said, Helen would sleep with either/both of them. I mean, even an Italian girly-man model has some appeal.

That's usually the trouble with skinny little pretty boys that dress well (which is most of Italy)- they're incredibly hot until they open their mouth, and out pops "Jesus, Mary, did you check out the girls' room at the club last Friday?"

Helen Lawson
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:16 PM

:eek: Helen hasn't been propositioned since she was Grand Marshall at West Hollywood Gay Pride! And even though the guys loved me, it would have been a pity-fuck as I saw them drawing straws the next float over, the loser to take one for the team to please the living legend. So, I let the little fruit off with a peck on the cheek and an autograph, "I'm sure it would have been great, but I'm too much woman for you. Love, Helen Lawson." The guy loved it.

Helen Lawson
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:26 PM
my sentiments exactly.

anyway, helen, do u do anal?

Certainly not.

controlfreak
Sep 26th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Good thing Italy doesn't visit WTAWorld. There are more gay posters here than I can count on my Wendy's amputated finger collection.

~ The Leopard ~
Sep 27th, 2005, 12:05 AM
^Yes, I was thinking of a different kind of gay poster excess.

Jakeev
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Damn, some of the stuff out there is wayyyyyy worse than that ad.:rolleyes:

bionic71
Sep 27th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Makes me think of the billboard I pass every morning on the way to work...some half naked girlie promoting shoes...

Yet, a couple of well dressed men having a kiss is somehow a scandal and potentially hazardous....

tennislover
Sep 27th, 2005, 11:36 AM
TOSCANI is simply&always great!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

tennislover
Sep 27th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Good thing Italy doesn't visit WTAWorld. There are more gay posters here than I can count on my Wendy's amputated finger collection.
:lol:

Ceze
Sep 27th, 2005, 11:44 AM
^Yes, I was thinking of a different kind of gay poster excess.I was thinking the same :lol:

alfajeffster
Sep 27th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Makes me think of the billboard I pass every morning on the way to work...some half naked girlie promoting shoes...

Yet, a couple of well dressed men having a kiss is somehow a scandal and potentially hazardous....

What it really boils down to is the one on top is featuring a stylish coiffure, while the one on the bottom has his head clipped, and there's no potential for a gay stylist to do anything at all with him except color. The queens with their vests full of razors are outraged!:lol:

alfajeffster
Sep 27th, 2005, 12:00 PM
A friend of mine was telling me that he had a fool-proof way to bring another gay guy out of the closet in public. I told him he was full of horse feathers, but he said no, and proceeded to show me how. He waited until a server was passing by who he had suspected was gay, and just sang (loudly) the following:

"CLANG-CLANG-CLANG"

And immediately, without hesitation, the server chimed in and finished with:

"WENT THE TROLLEY"

I've since tried it a few times, and it works like a charm every time!:lol:

Helen Lawson
Sep 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM
A friend of mine was telling me that he had a fool-proof way to bring another gay guy out of the closet in public. I told him he was full of horse feathers, but he said no, and proceeded to show me how. He waited until a server was passing by who he had suspected was gay, and just sang (loudly) the following:

"CLANG-CLANG-CLANG"

And immediately, without hesitation, the server chimed in and finished with:

"WENT THE TROLLEY"

I've since tried it a few times, and it works like a charm every time!:lol:

I'll have to try that hon, but those lyrics don't make any sense to me, I don't recognize them.

I really want to just up to a potentially gay guy, and say in a Brooklyn accent, "look, they drummed you right outta Hollywood, soooo, you come crawlin' back to Broad'way. But Broadway doesn't go for boooze and dope. Now you get outta my way, I got a GUY waitin' for me."

If he comes back with, "that makes a switch from the fags you're usually stuck with" then I've met my soulmate. Or any Mommie Dearest line will due.

Kart
Sep 27th, 2005, 08:30 PM
That poster is anticlimactic.

spiceboy
Sep 27th, 2005, 08:35 PM
That poster is anticlimactic.

What about Ginch Gonch underwear ads? :devil:

https://www.securewebexchange.com/ginchgonch.com/images/desktop-wiener_800x600.jpg

https://www.securewebexchange.com/ginchgonch.com/images/desktop-compare_800x600.jpg

Kart
Sep 27th, 2005, 08:48 PM
What about Ginch Gonch underwear ads? :devil:

https://www.securewebexchange.com/ginchgonch.com/images/desktop-wiener_800x600.jpg

Well it's not making me climax but I see how this one could over excite sausage lovers.

Incidentally, is that blonde one in the middle a boy or a girl ?

F-R-E-A-K
Sep 27th, 2005, 11:02 PM
:lol: :lol: :tape:

spartanfan
Sep 28th, 2005, 04:37 AM
What country is that ad from? Cause it seems like it would be "too racy" for an american company.

azza
Sep 28th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Eww the bottom guy looks like hes 60

Andy_
Sep 28th, 2005, 11:55 AM
'These posters are vulgar and a bad example for our children,' said a spokesman for the parents association MOIGE, which wants the adverts banned. 'It's not a matter of sexual orientation. They would be crass even if they featured a man and a woman.'

I saw another pic from the same campaign just a week ago on a national newspaper - La Repubblica. Very last page, I was done going through it, I was about to fold it and there they were, two men holding each other and presumably sharing a gentle kiss (the pic wasn't even that obvious).
I found it was cute, and smiled... and thought of the courage the editor had had to public that ad.

The MOIGE and the Vatican reaction are nothing to be surprised of, and while I understand that everyone's entitled to have their own opinion, I believe these pics are extremely far from being vulgar! You can see the fun element about them, it's not like they're having sex, they're only sorta playing with each other... and believe me, Italian papers and TVs host much worse and more vulgar etherosexual stuff on a daily basis...

Darop.
Sep 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Italy has THE most sexually oriented commercials/publicities obviously between men and women, and if that guy says this has nothing to do with sexuality, he's a liar.

:worship: to Toscani though ;)

marmite1
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Well it's not making me climax but I see how this one could over excite sausage lovers.

Incidentally, is that blonde one in the middle a boy or a girl ?

That is what i was thinking. He/she looks like a woman.

Scotso
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Sex sells, especially in Italy. They like sex.

~ The Leopard ~
Sep 28th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Eww the bottom guy looks like hes 60

So? These are not clothes for teenagers. They're clothes for grown-ups. I don't understand your point.

R&J
Sep 28th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Exactly.