PDA

View Full Version : Since when you are into Mary?

Kathrin
Sep 17th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I thought it would be nice to know when you all started loving Mary!

I'm in love with her for about 12 years now.
I saw her at Filderstadt (1993) where she beat Natasha Zvereva in the final 6:3;6:3! At this time I began to play tennis on my own and I needed someone to identify with. I really liked her at once. She was just beautiful.

Since this time Mary was meant for me. I knew she would be the one I set my heart on for the rest of my life! And I was right. I still love her to death.

For me she is the most wonderful person to look up to. Mary is an awesome tennis player (finally a player who can hit the ball hard and fast; can't get enough of this kind of way to play tennis) with a great personality and above all she gives me the strength to move on (in every aspect of life)! She deserves so much respect for what she has achieved. I'm so damn proud of her! Don't know what to do if she retires one day (can't even think about it)!

Mary, thanks for being there and making me happy everytime I see you! There is still more to come and I will support you in every single moment! Enjoy yourself!

Scotso
Sep 17th, 2005, 09:55 PM
I've been a fan since the very early 90's. She's the reason I started to follow tennis.

MPStylee
Sep 18th, 2005, 12:10 AM
when I saw her win the Australian Open! It was the first tennis match I had really watched properly! I didn't like tennis at the time but my mum and my sister did and they made me watch it! I remember Mary said 'Um' a lot in her speech and I thought she was the coolest thing ever!

From then on I started to play tennis and began following it! I love it!
Mary Rules!

cakiteror
Sep 18th, 2005, 03:14 AM
australian open final,1997,she lost,but i have never seen more graceful loss in my life!
before that i didnt like tennis at all!
never watched it,never thought about it,but today it is all different!:)

Andy.
Sep 18th, 2005, 03:34 AM
I first became a fan of hers in 1998 when i saw her playing at the Australian open. I Instantly fell in love and becasue i became such a bog fan of hers she really got me into tennis.

DomenicDemaria
Sep 18th, 2005, 06:03 AM
australian open final,1997,she lost,but i have never seen more graceful loss in my life!
before that i didnt like tennis at all!
never watched it,never thought about it,but today it is all different!:)

Same with me. My brother is a big Amanda Coetzer fan and I remember the semis. I was cheering for Mary and him for Amanda :lol:
I started liking her because in one of her earlier matches at the tournament she was grunting :lol: I fell in love with the grunt :haha: ever since then I have been a fan, but over the last three years I became obsessed :haha:

Lu_Weird
Sep 18th, 2005, 10:19 AM
96 :)

ClaudiaZ-S
Sep 18th, 2005, 10:26 AM
92 when she lost to Capriati with her old fashioned glasses

ClaudiaZ-S
Sep 18th, 2005, 10:27 AM
I've been a fan since the very early 90's. She's the reason I started to follow tennis.

Will U continue to follow tennis if Mary retires? :)

aimee20
Sep 18th, 2005, 12:33 PM
94 French open her legendary debut in grandslam
after semi final i remember i said to my mom "mom i'll quit piano I'll play tennis instead" :mad:
and my mom 's like but "we've just bought piano" :lol:

sebbe
Sep 18th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Berlin 1999

mamno_MARYFAN
Sep 18th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Roland Garros 1994...I was a big fan of Steffi at that time...but I remember being amazed by Mary beating her so handily...and I was very dissapointed when she lost to Sanchez-Vicario in the finals...:sad:

Oh well...at that time I really liked the way she hits the ball...awesome shot making...

And throughout the years I've become a fan of hers...I got to know more about Mary...and I really feel that she's such a stylish player with an admirable personality...how she overcome so many hurdles in her life...makes me proud of becoming her fan...:bounce:

GO MARY...!!!!!!!:bounce:

Oermi
Sep 18th, 2005, 03:39 PM
94 French open her legendary debut in grandslam
after semi final i remember i said to my mom "mom i'll quit piano I'll play tennis instead" :mad:
and my mom 's like but "we've just bought piano" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Declan
Sep 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I was first interested in Mary in mid-1990 (I think) when Mary decided to represent France -I remember Nathalie Tauziat was against Mary's admission to the France team, and I hated Tauziat so took to Mary straight away! I followed her results closely over the next couple of years with interest, but because she didn't play at Wimbledon until 1995 only caught her on TV a couple of times -Filderstadt one year, and Brighton in 1993, when I think she made the Semis. Then at the end of 1994 I met my partner who had satellite TV so from then on I was able to see many more of Mary's matches, including the fantastic 1995 Australian Open. By this time she was easily my favourite player, and of course has been ever since. But at Eastbourne the following year I was lucky enough to see Mary play live for the first time, (a three-set tough first round loss to Irina Spirlea), and it was then that my feelings for her were really cemented - there's something about seeing a player live, when you get the real essence of their personality and really bond with them...I've never been the same since -really!

Edman
Sep 18th, 2005, 03:46 PM
i started loving her since 1999
although it is not a long long time, i really enjoy it
i love her coz she has her charm, and her style in tennis is entertaining!
when she is on fire, her pts are incredible and can beat anyone dominately

aimee20
Sep 19th, 2005, 02:01 AM
oh my god most of us are oldies :eek:
:lol:

lizzymarie
Sep 19th, 2005, 12:49 PM
In 1995, it was the first tennis match i've ever seen and from then on I am a huge Mary fan and made me love her everyday....

flea
Sep 19th, 2005, 01:12 PM
since her first match at Roland in 1990, I was so so young... :baby:

but I really became a fan during Roland 1994, where she beats n°1 Graf !!! Mary Pierce was born !!! :drool:

Frenchragazzo
Sep 19th, 2005, 02:41 PM
In 1994 during Roland Garros... She was so incredible !!!! Mary is the best !!!

saby
Sep 20th, 2005, 07:27 AM
1994 for me too...thanks mary :sad: :lol:

MistyGrey
Sep 20th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Berlin 1999
Didnt Mary pull out of Berlin 99? I remember that coz she was supposed to meet Steffi in the quarters, and I was sooo looking forward to that match, since I hadnt seen my two favs playing eachother... ever..(didnt catch the 94 FO live on TV, only saw a recording later).. but mary pulled out at the last minute.. :(

pierce_fanatic
Sep 20th, 2005, 11:44 AM
to be honest i cant remember the exact time i became a fan but it was between 1996 and 1997.

i can remember watching the australian open in 1998 and they showed a package about the ballkids and i thought to myself 'omg i could be a ballgirl for Mary' and i rang them up to find out how to apply. i went to the tryouts for the 1999 AO and didnt get in and then i tried the year after for the 2000 AO and i got through, although i never got to be on the same court with Mary, but i did get to walk past her in the corridor and my face was like this :eek: she was with her ex-fiance, Roberto and i just remember thinking to myself 'omg she's so tall'.

so yeah around '96, '97 :bounce:

MaryPierceFan
Sep 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Into tennis - middle 90s, into Mary - 99 US Open, QF against Davenport.

Janela TeddyBear
Sep 20th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Wow guys! Such a long love! =) As for me...hmmm...don't laugh. I'm into Mary since the RG match against Patty Shneider this year. Of course, I knew about Mary before that, but I din't like her at all! I was always cheering against her if I saw her playing someone, and I didn't like her apearance and she behaved. But suddenly everything changed. During that RG match I've seen how positive Mary is, and how she's doing her best to win, how she's trying. That was the time I began to love her!;)

Oermi
Sep 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM
Wow guys! Such a long love! =) As for me...hmmm...don't laugh. I'm into Mary since the RG match against Patty Shneider this year. Of course, I knew about Mary before that, but I din't like her at all! I was always cheering against her if I saw her playing someone, and I didn't like her apearance and she behaved. But suddenly everything changed. During that RG match I've seen how positive Mary is, and how she's doing her best to win, how she's trying. That was the time I began to love her!;)

omg, this is crazy. i'm not really old, you know .. (fourteen) and the first tennis match i saw, was mary vs. patty this year in RG (the same like you, janela teddybear). and believe it or not but i was thinking "oh my god, she is so annoying. :mad: "
but then the next matches i started to like her more and more and i was so sad that she lost in the final then. now i love mary more then ANY wtaplayer :kiss:
of course, i am NOT an "oldie" like most of you, but it feels like i'd know mary for many years now but i just know her since RG 05. so this is weird somehow! :rolleyes: :p

ashwu
Sep 21st, 2005, 02:58 PM
1994 roland garros 2nd round or 3rd round. can't remember clearly.

Lu_Weird
Sep 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM
all very long tennis watching years... I think most Mary fans are very faithful and loyal... not like some people just follow the media, those peking dogs only shake tails in front of the youth players.

Janela TeddyBear
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:59 PM
omg, this is crazy. i'm not really old, you know .. (fourteen) and the first tennis match i saw, was mary vs. patty this year in RG (the same like you, janela teddybear). and believe it or not but i was thinking "oh my god, she is so annoying. :mad: "
but then the next matches i started to like her more and more and i was so sad that she lost in the final then. now i love mary more then ANY wtaplayer :kiss:
of course, i am NOT an "oldie" like most of you, but it feels like i'd know mary for many years now but i just know her since RG 05. so this is weird somehow! :rolleyes: :p

Yeah, Marie91, I had the same feeling! mary seems such a close person to me that I come to think I love her for ages=)

sebbe
Sep 24th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Didnt Mary pull out of Berlin 99? I remember that coz she was supposed to meet Steffi in the quarters, and I was sooo looking forward to that match, since I hadnt seen my two favs playing eachother... ever..(didnt catch the 94 FO live on TV, only saw a recording later).. but mary pulled out at the last minute.. :(

Sorry, it was Hamburg ;)

Watched the final. I was really impressed with the powerful blond one :rolleyes:

NicoMary
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Saw her play for the first time in 1997:rolleyes: ....fall in love directly:hearts: ...WHO WAS THAT GIRL???:eek: since that time Mary is part of my life

isaboulou
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:54 AM
I don't remember the first match that i saw Mary but the first match that i love her is Roland Garros 99 when she was eliminated by magui serna in the second round (i think). The people hooted her and i cry for her. This day, i don't understand the people's reaction because i don't know her very much. There was certainly much of pain for Mary this day but she is like a phenix "she's always reappears of these ashes" lol

Lu_Weird
Sep 26th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Will U continue to follow tennis if Mary retires? :)

oh...it is good question. I might not too interested in tennis if Mary retires...it is a terrible thing to think just as have to leave a best close and good friend away. so terrible if Mary retired! life will be boring I guess :sad: will miss her big pigtail, her smile..... :sad: :sad:

Mark Spruce
Sep 27th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Oh that question if Mary does the "R" word would i follow tennis. I think that i would not follow tennis nearly as much as I do now.

Tennis would not be the same wiht out the Queen of the courts. I would miss so much her facial expressions. She has the best ones out there

Mark

Declan
Sep 27th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I don't remember the first match that i saw Mary but the first match that i love her is Roland Garros 99 when she was eliminated by magui serna in the second round (i think). The people hooted her and i cry for her. This day, i don't understand the people's reaction because i don't know her very much. There was certainly much of pain for Mary this day but she is like a phenix "she's always reappears of these ashes" lol

That was 1998, not 99, isaboulou. In 1999 she lost that weird match to Conchita, also in the second round.

John A Roark
Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:39 AM
I am on the sunny side of forty, but apparently I am the baby in the group for following our girl... I knew her name long before, but I never really paid attention to her (or women's tennis, for that matter) until I heard a commentator (Mary Carillo, CBS, I think) mention that she was THIRTY! and still out swinging with the best of them, and proving that she was not 'over-the-hill', but was in fact having a great resurgence in her career--that's still going, witness her selection to the Porsche!
I am older so I enjoy the achievements of older people (and Silvia Farina Elia has broken her racquet strings, boo hoo!), and the first thing to attract me to Mary was her age and her continued spirit moving past the big three-O.
Mind you, that was only this year at Roland Garros... when I went back to find out more about her (on Mark's website, the best), I saw the cutest little girl at age 14, and surveyed her life and career all the way through--I can only regret not having found her back in '89.

I am an author--that's what I do: I have one book in negotiation with an--ahem!--major publisher, and the second (in a ten-book series) written and awaiting editing/revision. I will only say that seeing Mary's face up close (not to mention learning her height and weight) was, for me, a VERY spooky experience... as I get to know and learn more about you other fans of Mary, I may tell you just why that was. Suffice it to say that Mary and I may, in the distant future (I hope and pray), be collaborating on books four through seven in my series. I could not imagine a more fantastic meeting, and if or when I someday tell one of the other diehard Mary fans just why, you will either think I am the luckiest man around or the most fantastic liar you've ever come across. I hope it is the former.
But, count my blessings! As of RG this year, I DO know about Mary--and she is simply adorable. Vive La Pierce!

pierce0415
Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:05 AM
First time I saw tennis on TV was Mary losing French Open final :mad: to ASV in 1994 (when I was 12). I was taking tennis lessons but BOOM I instantly became a fan of professional tennis from that point on. Mary was / is my fave player BY FAR for her high risk game and because she is hot.

Over the course of the last few years, I have seen so many Mary matches on TV and in person at the US OPEN (since I live in NY - I usually wait to see which side of the draw is playing on a certain day and make sure I go during Mary's side) and at Wimbledon 2x in 2003 (upset Danilidou but then lose to Justine in 4th round).

I have gotten her autograph a few times and had my picture taken with her to (many of you probably have seen that picture).

Most heartbreaking match for me was when she lost to Lindsay in USO 1999 :mad: . I was so nervous during the match but she couldn't pull it out despite 2 MP.

Favorite match has to be her defeat of Masha at USO 2004. :D

Mark Spruce
Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:12 AM
My favourite Match has to be the semi final win over Martina at RG 2000.

What a great word ADORABLE (Great description John)

Mark

Andy.
Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:33 AM
One of the moment i remember was in 1999 when Mary was playing Anna in the Australian open 4th round and all these guys dresses up like her and she had such huge support.