PDA

View Full Version : Portoroz

Calliope.
Sep 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Good luck Lena!! Let's hope she gets a good draw...:bounce:

RayRob
Sep 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM
:bounce: yeah, hopefully Eleni can kick-start the fall season with a few good wins! I should imagine the draw for this event will be out this weekend.

Pame Eleni! :D

-Rache

Bероника
Sep 17th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Best of luck,Leni!!!

Calliope.
Sep 17th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Main draw

(1)Silvia Farina Elia vs. Vanessa Henke
Ekaterina Bychkova vs. Q

Selima Sfar vs. Meilen Tu
(7)Iveta Benesova vs. Q

(4)Klara Koukalova vs. Maria Sanchez Lorenzo
Lubomira Kurhajcova vs. Sandra Kloesel

Zuzana Ondraskova vs. (wc)Andreja Klepac
(8)Roberta Vinci vs. Sanda Mamic

(5)Marion Bartoli vs. Maret Ani
Camille Pin vs. Eleni Daniilidou

Jelena Kostanic vs. Severine Beltrame
(3)Kveta Peschke vs. Martina Sucha

(6)Katarina Srebotnik vs. Henrieta Nagyova
Barbora Strycova vs. Q

(wc)Masa Zec-Peskiric vs. Q
(2)Anabel Medina Garrigues vs. Tszvetana Pironkova

Calliope.
Sep 17th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Not bad I think...

RayRob
Sep 17th, 2005, 05:13 PM
mmm, it's a fairly good draw. Certainly she could make it to the Semi's, I think it could be Eleni vs Srebotnik in her half. Not a particular strong field for a teir 3,but that plays into the hands of Eleni - she needed a good draw to get on a bit of a roll :D

Pame Eleni :bounce:

:D

-Rache

Bette_Midler
Sep 17th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Vamos Lenita !!!!! :bounce:

guizzy
Sep 17th, 2005, 09:13 PM
All she needs is to be herself again. I hope it will be as easy as it sounds. Ela Eleni pame.

RayRob
Sep 20th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Eleni's first match is tuesday morning at 10am CET. I'm not sure I'll be awake for that time since I haven't gone bed yet (2.05am) :lol: I probably would have made the effort had the official site had a live scoreboard, but they can't even be bothered to post their own order of play - had to get that from thw WTA site!

Maybe if I'm awake, I can check for scores in the tournie forum!

Go for it Leni - Pame! :D

-Rache

forever_rafter
Sep 20th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Eleni won her 1sr round match 6-2,5-7,6-4 :bounce: She also plays doubles but don't know when...

Calliope.
Sep 20th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Eleni :woohoo: :bounce:

Bероника
Sep 20th, 2005, 01:43 PM
The result suggests it was a difficult victory for Leni but I'm very happy she won :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

forever_rafter
Sep 20th, 2005, 03:09 PM
The result suggests it was a difficult victory for Leni but I'm very happy she won :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

True but at 6-2,5-5 it started to rain and maybe it was a reason, she lost her rythm

Calliope.
Sep 20th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Next round against Ani who defeated Bartoli today... Pame Lena :)

guizzy
Sep 20th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Good job Lena. The score is close but it's the result that counts. Keep going.

forever_rafter
Sep 20th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Wednesday's order of play:

Grandstand (from 12.00hrs)
1. Bremond vs. Peschke
2. Križan/Talaja vs. Daniilidou/Woehr :bounce:

Pame Eleni, geht Woehr! :)

RayRob
Sep 20th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Indeed - a fantastic win regardless of the fact it was cut a bit fine. The fact that she won the first set fairly easily could suggest Eleni's in remarkable form. hopefully, this will continue through into the rest of Eleni's stay in the singles event and also into her doubles.

has Leni ever played alongside Woehr before? I'm guessing perhaps they know eachother via Judith since they are both from Deutschland ;)

Wednesday's order of play:

1. Bremond vs. Peschke
2. Križan/Talaja vs. Daniilidou/Woehr :bounce:

Pame Eleni, geht Woehr! :)

I like that...."geht Woehr" - German I understand (a little).....shouldn't it be more like "Gehen Sie Woehr" because I think "geht Woehr" means "Woehr goes"? (I am probably wrong as it's been 8 years since I did German). Ich habe Deutsch an Schule gelernt. (I hope I said that right) :D

Which ever it was I knew what you meant ;)

Pame!
-Rache

PS. While we're on the subject of language ;) ....something that I was wondering - how is 'Pame' pronounced?

I watched a film the other day called "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and at the end someone said what I think was the word "Pame".....the character who said it, asked the little girl what it meant and she said "Let's go!" (which is why I thought it could be "Pame")

The way the actor in the film pronounced it was like "Pom-ay" - is this correct? I thought it would be more like "Pam-ay", though if an English person saw the word "Pame" they would pronounce it similar to the words "came", "lame" and "tame"......so the "a" would be like "ay" sound - if that makes sense.

So, how is it really pronounced.....I'd like to find out so I know what to shout :angel:

alibaby
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:41 AM
Eleni won her 1sr round match 6-2,5-7,6-4 :bounce: She also plays doubles but don't know when...
yeah,a wonderful start!!good for her to get a few wins under her belt,so she can forget NY sooner..pame lenii-baby!! :kiss: :kiss:

forever_rafter
Sep 21st, 2005, 10:03 AM
I like that...."geht Woehr" - German I understand (a little).....shouldn't it be more like "Gehen Sie Woehr" because I think "geht Woehr" means "Woehr goes"? (I am probably wrong as it's been 8 years since I did German). Ich habe Deutsch an Schule gelernt. (I hope I said that right) :D

PS. While we're on the subject of language ;) ....something that I was wondering - how is 'Pame' pronounced?

You may be right, I didn't use German for 4-5 years so perhaps I mad a mistake :) And about that "Pame" word. I pronounce it the way Judith did but I can't describe it :confused:

spar
Sep 21st, 2005, 10:22 AM
Woehr is a new pair for Eleni. They didn`t play doubles before.
Very good that next opponent is Ani. Bartoli win one match in February, then Eleni was injured.

Calliope.
Sep 21st, 2005, 12:56 PM

I watched a film the other day called "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and at the end someone said what I think was the word "Pame".....the character who said it, asked the little girl what it meant and she said "Let's go!" (which is why I thought it could be "Pame")

The way the actor in the film pronounced it was like "Pom-ay" - is this correct? I thought it would be more like "Pam-ay", though if an English person saw the word "Pame" they would pronounce it similar to the words "came", "lame" and "tame"......so the "a" would be like "ay" sound - if that makes sense.

So, how is it really pronounced.....I'd like to find out so I know what to shout :angel:

I saw that film too and yes, the actor says "pame" at the end... I think in the Italian translation he pronunces the word differently than in the English version... Because he says "pame" as it was an Italian word... It's hard to describe, but I try... lol :D ... P like in "pasta", A like in Italian word "amore" (something like "arm" in English, but it's not exactly the same...lol), M like in "May" and E like in "tEn"... He says it like that, but I don't know if it's correct... It could be, I don't know :)

forever_rafter
Sep 21st, 2005, 01:11 PM
Daniilidou/Woehrle def. Talaja/Križan 6-3 6-0 :bounce: :worship: I think they may play as a team for some time, Jud mentioned something about it during the US Open.

Pasta and pame is a good example, I know what you mean 'cause in Polish you pronounce the words almost without changing anything. Does it make sense?

RayRob
Sep 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM
Lol, thanks for all your help in pronouncing "Pame". I think I understand and it sounds like it's said almost correctly in the film. So, thanks :yeah:

Also, congratulations to the Daniilidou/Woehr duo! :D Seems like they had a pretty solid performance; 3 and love is a fantastic scoreline. I would like to think that it's because Eleni's serve is improving....hopefully that's what we'll be hearing :D It's also a good confidence boost to win any sort of match, perhaps this event will build that confidence and help smooth over the rough edges of her game.

Well done Eleni...singles tomorrow!

-Rache :wavey:

Calliope.
Sep 21st, 2005, 04:03 PM
Lol, thanks for all your help in pronouncing "Pame". I think I understand and it sounds like it's said almost correctly in the film. So, thanks :yeah:

I don't know if it's right, we have to ask to a greek fan :) I really want to know it lol :D I'm very curious now!

Btw, congrats Lena in doubles, good work!!
Good luck for tomorrow...!! :)

forever_rafter
Sep 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM
Order of play for Thursday:

1. Henke vs. Bychkova
2. Tu vs. Benesova (NB 13.00hrs)
3. Beygelzimer/Husarova vs. D.Klemenschits/S.Klemenschits
4. Daniilidou/Woehr vs. Peschke/Tu

Court 1 (from 13.00hrs)
1. Ani vs. Daniilidou

Pame pame!

Bероника
Sep 21st, 2005, 09:31 PM
Busy day tomorrow ;) Hope our greek goddess wins her both matchs

RayRob
Sep 21st, 2005, 10:46 PM
Long day tomorrow for Eleni! Singles at 13.00hrs then doubles probably just a couple of hours later.

The good thing about the European season is that I don't have to stay up until ridiculous hours of the morning to see scores and results ;) The US hard court season is very tiring for me ;) :lol:

In the meantime, I hope one of our Greek friends can help use with the "Pame" pronunciation :D

-Rache

guizzy
Sep 21st, 2005, 11:31 PM
Ok lets try to describe how pame is pronounced. P(like P) :angel: A(like Away or Again) M(like M) :rolleyes: and E(like Egg).I hope this helps although I got a little confused myself trying to explain it.

alibaby
Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:17 AM
Busy day tomorrow ;) Hope our greek goddess wins her both matchs
yeah,very busy!!but she has the constitution,thats for sure!!pame,lenii-baby!! :kiss: :kiss:

forever_rafter
Sep 22nd, 2005, 11:09 AM
Ok lets try to describe how pame is pronounced. P(like P) :angel: A(like Away or Again) M(like M) :rolleyes: and E(like Egg).I hope this helps although I got a little confused myself trying to explain it.

so it's like peme?

RayRob
Sep 22nd, 2005, 11:26 AM
Ok, :lol: we're all finding it a little tricky with this "pame" pronunciation. I've been looking to see if I can find an audio pronounciation online for "Pame" but I can only find audio files for "the dog", "the cat", "the grand mother", "the Grand father", "I laugh" and "I cry" etc....but no 'Pame'. :lol:

I did find a website that had audio files for the sounds of each Greek letter (if that would help :confused: )....but then I don't know how "Pame" is spelt using Greek letter forms.

But from what guizzy discribed it's pronounced "Pam-eh"

Maybe when I'm at the DFS classic, I should just seek out judith, sit next to her and wait to hear her say "Pame"....then I'll know how it's said ;)

Thanks for your help though - much appreciated! :yeah:

In the meantime, I'm waiting for Eleni's second round score to come in......nothing as yet :(

-Rache

guizzy
Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Pame in Greek letters is ΠΑΜΕ and the A is pronounced like in Answer and the E like Example. I hope this helps cause I'm running out of examples. :p

forever_rafter
Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:39 PM
So it's exactly the same way as I thought :)

In the meantime :

Daniilidou/Woehr (GRE/GER) d. (3) Peschke/Tu (CZE/USA) w/o (Peschke: illness) :)

Pame in singles!

Calliope.
Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:15 PM
Pame in Greek letters is ΠΑΜΕ and the A is pronounced like in Answer and the E like Example. I hope this helps cause I'm running out of examples. :p

Ohh thank you very much! ;) I think I said it correctly...
Good for doubles, now pame in singles!!

RayRob
Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Well it's a shame for Peschke - it's not nice being ill, hope she gets well soon, but it's great Eleni hasn't had to play 2 matches today. So having only played one match together, Eleni and Jasmin are through to the quarter finals!

I'm now still waiting patiently for the score for Eleni's singles match.....it surely must be over by now!

-Rache

RayRob
Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:55 PM
Well, apparently Eleni won her singles match: 3:6, 6:2, 7:5

if this score is correct she made a good fight back having lost the first set! She is really being tested but all of this should stand her in good stead and give her the confindence she needs!

Pame Eleni!

So Quarter finals in both singles and doubles.....not bad :yeah:

-Rache

Bероника
Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the update,Rache! I love reading this kind of results.So Leni is in QF in both competitions :bounce: Great! Any idea who she's facing next?

PAME!!!!!!!

Calliope.
Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Lena :woohoo: Good to see her in both QFs!
She'll play against Beltrame... Pame Lena! :bounce:

Calliope.
Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:41 PM
And against Kostanic and Srebotnik in doubles ;)

forever_rafter
Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:43 PM
What a day for my athletes :) Eleni won, Prieto and Calleri won doubles and my volleyball girls remain unbeatable in Euro Champs. :bounce: :worship: :hearts: :drool:

RayRob
Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:32 PM
OOP for Friday, September 23, 2005

Center Court (from 12.00hrs)
1. Henke vs. Tu
2. Srebotnik vs. Medina Garrigues (NB 15.00hrs)
3. Koukalova vs. Vinci
4. Daniilidou/Woehr vs. Kostanic/Srebotnik

Grandstand (from 14.00hrs)
1. Daniilidou vs. Bremond

So, Leni plays Bremond (formally Beltrame) in singles, then will have to come out after a bit of a break to play her doubles match. Kostanic/Srebotnik had a relitivly easy match where they won love and 1, but then Leni and jasmin have only played one match, which for them was also fairly easy winning 3 and love so they have a great chance.

Eleni seems to be in some good form.....here's to a safe paasge into the semi-finals (hopefully :yeah: ) :D

Pame Eleni and Jasmin! :bounce:

-Rache

forever_rafter
Sep 23rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
Pame Eleni! Good luck baby!

Calliope.
Sep 23rd, 2005, 12:16 PM
Pame Lena :D

RayRob
Sep 23rd, 2005, 02:36 PM
Eleni won 6-4, 6-1 :woohoo: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/dailyResults

That is a great win and she needed to be in top form for when she plays Srebotnik.....I said at the start that this would be the tricky match for her, but Eleni can do it! :bounce:

-Rache

Bероника
Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:26 PM
:bounce: finally an easy match

forever_rafter
Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:44 PM
Well done, Lenita! :worship: :bounce: :kiss: :hearts:

Calliope.
Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:24 PM
Well done Lena! :woohoo: :bounce: :kiss: :D
Good luck in the SF! :kiss:

guizzy
Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:55 PM
Go Lena Go! This is it. You're in the right track.

RayRob
Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Eleni and Jasmin lost in their doubles match today. They played Srebotnik and Kostanic. The score was 7-6, 6-4 in favour of the home team. Never mind - they put up a great battle and a good outing for a new team. Hopefully as a pair they will develop.

Also, this match was a good oportunity for Eleni to get a few ideas of how best to play Srebotnik as she plays her in the semi-final. Katarina is a tough cookie but hopefully Eleni will have enough in her to make the final :woohoo:

Well Done Eleni and PAME!

Unfortunately I will be out during the match so can't keep up to date with the scores....so cheer loadly in the scoring thread for me ;)

-Rache

RayRob
Sep 24th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Ok, Eleni & Kata are first on at 13.00 CET.

For Kata's match yesterday, TV Slovenija website had live scores via the online teletext service. To access that use the following link then follow the intructions I give to take you to the right page :)

http://www.rtvslo.si/modload.php?&c_mod=static&c_menu=1048035890

1. The page this link should take you to is "Teletekst" which is an online version of "teletext" that can usually be acquired via a television.

2. The top part of the image (.PNG file) is a "screen shot" of the teletext page which refreshes every so often.

3. Below this screen shot image is like a purple/violet rectangle with various arrows and a house shape. In the far right of this there is a symbol that to me looks like a "book". Also, by this symbol are 2 fields. one should have the number '100' in, and the other should have the number '1' in.

4. To get to the live scores you need to type the number '560' in the field that has the number '100' in. Once you have typed in 560, press the symbol that looks like a 'book'.

5. This should take you straight to the scores page.

Yesterday, when I was waiting for Eleni's QF result, Katarina's QF scores were being updated live. I guess because she is home favourite that the same will be for today also.

I hope these instructions were clear for you. :wavey:

I aren't going out until later now, so I will get to follow the scores :bounce:

Pame Eleni!
-Rache

RayRob
Sep 24th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Well, Eleni lost :sad: I'm sorry to say. 6-2, 6-2. Apparently Elnei made a few great winners but unfortunately her errors contributed greatly to the loss.....though Katarina played some great tennis!

Guizzy made a point in the scoring thread that Eleni had a great week and a few more weeks like this to finish the year will help Eleni with her confidence and enable her to start next year off in good form!

I agree with this point. I posted this in the scoring thread, but i think it's relevent here too.

She hasn't had a good run like this since Birmingham and Wimbledon! She was on her way to a good run in Los Angeles but she injured her foot or ankle during her second round match against Sveta Kuznetsova so had to retire in her match against Martinez.

Hopefully she can finish the year with a good couple of wins if her aim to get back into the top 20 is going to be fulfilled.....if she can string a few more wins togther, I can see that happening :)

Next up, if the article Guizzy posted in another thread is anything to go by, Elnei will be in Luxemburg by Monday. This event is televised on British Eurosport, so I should imagine it might be also on Eurosport international.

Well done for a great week Eleni and I hope to see more of the Daniilidou/Woehr pairing - they had a great week too considering this is the first time they've played together!

:bounce:

-Rache

Calliope.
Sep 24th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Eleni :sad:
Still a good tournament, she really deserved some wins... And I'm happy she reached the SF, is a good result! And Kata is playing well...
Good luck in Luxemburg Eleni! :bounce:
I hope to see her on Eurosport... ;)

Bероника
Sep 24th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Sad to read she lost...Some good wins though...I hope they show her playing in Luxembourg.

PAME ELENI!!!!

forever_rafter
Sep 24th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Sorry about Eleni :sad: She had a great tourney though and deserves congrats.

FOLKS, the news of the day is that POLAND is in the final of Women's Volleyball European Champs! We beat great Russia 3-2 (22-20 in the 5th set) and I almost died from a heart-attack. I love these girls and you'd love them too if you only saw them play. GLINKA :worship: :worship: :bounce: :bounce: :hearts: :hearts: :kiss:

alibaby
Sep 24th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Sad to read she lost...Some good wins though...I hope they show her playing in Luxembourg.

PAME ELENI!!!!
yeah,dito.but i think,if she gets some good draws over the next months,she can still do some good things on the court!!

:kiss: :kiss: lenii-baby!!

RayRob
Sep 24th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Well, a great tournie it was for Eleni....but now we can look forward and hopefully Eleni can build on this - PAME!

Thanks to MartaHingisFan for starting a thread for the Luxembourg event! :yeah:

-Rache