PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys make of Mary's "Tactics"

DementievaStyle
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM
:) Just wondering what Peirce fans feel when they watch Pierce trying to disturb matches with her typical "slowdown techniques". Why does she fix her hair, blow her fingers, rub her face, brush the ground with her feet, take so many deep breathes, wipe her forehead, pause, arrange her towels on her chair, etc all before her serve?

I have to say though, in the US Open it was now where near as bad as at Roland Garros- where im sure she was routinely taking 30 seconds between points.

I know shes not the most popular player on the tour with the other girls, but apart from her various "gamesmanships" she seems alot nicer off the court- so why does she try to wind players up?

Is this part of the reason you love Mary so much?, or do you not really take much notice of it?

Please, im not looking for an argument here, I am just interested to know what her fans feel, as its something alot of people feel about Mary Pierce. :)

pierce_fanatic
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I'm fine with what Mary does on court. She's been doing it for years and I dont see why she should change her routine.

It's also part of the reason why i love Mary but it would only be 10% of the reason i love Mary.

:D:D:D:D:D

Lu_Weird
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Hi, that's just Mary's habbit from very early in every detail thing, When in 93' the time she have some little famous and the TV show her games, Mary always like touching her necklace, hair and sth other. She is just a very careful sensetive women with anything. I think you notice she even arrange her towel on chair when go to break, that show she is kind of people very neat on every small thing. Just everyone's life way,and that's one aspect why I like her.(I usually very rush and careless for many things, spell wrong, forget the cell phone left home) So sometimes I will take my time do some important things especial on work. Look some doctors, escpeially the surgeron which all very careful and decent about everything, the neils, the collar of their clothings. A decent one always be respect by others,and a decent one always in every details.

mat34
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Hi!
I don´t think it is a tactic :) , because she doesn´t do that kind of things in order to disturb the player but only to stay focus... I know that it is sometimes too much and she also certainly knows but she just can´t stop it !!! And I love Mary with her poneytail things and always finding something to adjust in her clothes...She is like that, It is her Diva side and I like that so much !!!!
see you :wavey:

meyerpl
Sep 15th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I never felt any reason to dislike Mary whatsoever, in fact I thought rather highly of her. When I watched her against Dementieva at the USO however, I was really glad my wife wasn't present, because I was calling Mary some things my wife doesn't like to hear and frankly, I wouldn't want anybody to hear me saying. Mary is a good enough player without the stall tactics. I wish she would just play and let her playing speak for itself. People wouldn't be talking about all this other stuff then.

saby
Sep 15th, 2005, 04:20 PM
You better find other sources, Mary is one of the most popular player on tour LOL

Sportmanship !!! you know that only people on this board are talking about Mary's habit as a "tactic"

About US Open "12 minutes thread" even journalists are making fun of Elena's reaction, and you know why, it's because Mary had the right to do it and in fact the WTA physio told Mary to take this timeout.

Mary has habit like Henin, Nadal, or Federer when he's upset....each player has some habit but sometimes you don't pay attention or don't see it, did you know Martina didn't want to walk on the line when she finished a game, see what I mean

Mary LOL you can tell when she is under pressure, ponytail, ball (more and more time)... Elena well more and more doublefaults, it's different but it's habit too

Like I said somewhere on this board, it would be awfull to see all the player with same reactions, habits or whatever you call that!

Mary is one of the best player of the open area, I say it, journalists say it, professionnals say it, so forget about this "tactic"

Let's tennis players play and enjoy :lol: :lol: :lol:

meyerpl
Sep 15th, 2005, 04:40 PM
You obviously didn't hear what the T.V. commentators, all former players, were saying about Mary's stunt during the match. They thought it was outrageous. The shame of it is, Mary went on to kick Elena's butt, but everyone will always wonder if she could have done it without the tricks.

MissTennisFan
Sep 15th, 2005, 04:56 PM
I really don't understand what all of the controversy is about... Mary took the time-out because she had two different issues to deal with, the match officials allowed her to take a time-out for each one and they allowed her to take them back-to-back. It's really that simple. This was no attempt to stall the match -- that was just an unfortunate side-effect... and as Mary pointed out in the post-match press conference, she, too, had to wait during the time-out, she wasn't able to practice her serve, or move around the court like Elena was able to.

I don't see why Mary's sportsmanship is being questioned here. What was she supposed to do? Jeopradize her chances by not seeking treatment for her injuries? Is that what any player in his/her right mind would do? I don't think so.

meyerpl
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I suppose nobody but Mary knows what was really going on with her. The controversy didn't start with Mary either, it's been a simmering issue, players abusing the injury time-out to stop their opponent's momentum in a match. I think we've all seen it done and it seems to work a lot of the time. Whether it's true or not, the incident at the USO has been perceived by many to be the latest and most blatant example. Mary exhibited absolutely no sign of being injured either before or after the time-out. Contrast that against Agassi at the FO this year, when he could hardly walk because he was so badly injured, and you can understand how some players feel about Mary's injury time-outs. He finished the match and didn't take a time-out at all. To be truthful, I hope Mary really was injured. I certainly don't know whether she was or not.

saby
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:22 PM
I suppose nobody but Mary knows what was really going on with her. The controversy didn't start with Mary either, it's been a simmering issue, players abusing the injury time-out to stop their opponent's momentum in a match. I think we've all seen it done and it seems to work a lot of the time. Whether it's true or not, the incident at the USO has been perceived by many to be the latest and most blatant example. Mary exhibited absolutely no sign of being injured either before or after the time-out. Contrast that against Agassi at the FO this year, when he could hardly walk because he was so badly injured, and you can understand how some players feel about Mary's injury time-outs. He finished the match and didn't take a time-out at all. To be truthful, I hope Mary really was injured. I certainly don't know whether she was or not.

just because Mary didn't show any sign??? !!!

so this mean all the french staff is lying.
Everyday during press conference journalists are asking to Mary or the coach, Amelie, Tati, Virginie, Nathalie, if Mary's thigh if fine, they are all lying, the physio, the doctor. :eek:

come on wake up!!!

MissTennisFan
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Mary exhibited absolutely no sign of being injured either before or after the time-out

I beg to differ, Mary was clearly injured before the time-out... she just didn't want Elena to know she was injured so she chose not to tape her leg before the match, but unfortunately the strategy backfired and her injury started hampering her ability to serve and move properly... getting treatment on her back and having her leg taped was just the reasonable thing to do, why take any chances not only with the match but with the rest of her season? Mary is no stranger to injuries and she knows how careful she has to be to avoid sustaining any serious ones.

meyerpl
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Hey, I seriously hope you're right and I know I've said enough on the subject. Sorry for the sarcasm. You're a Mary Pierce fan. I have a favorite player of my own (not Dementievia btw) and I would probably defend her regardless of what anyone else was saying. I understand loyalty and I aplaud it. Sorry to say, you're probably going to hear a lot more on the subject and maybe even see a rule change as a result. Again, it isn't just a Mary Pierce issue. To be truthful, the media incites a lot of the controversy. They baited Dementieva with question after question and then quoted what they chose. If you read the whole interview, Elena clearly says the incident didn't affect the outcome of the match. You don't read that quote anywhere. Anyway, enjoy Mary's success and keep slugging away for her.

rsunderji
Sep 15th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Actually Mary had shown signs of her injuries prior to the famous double Time Out. She did withdraw from two tournaments (Toronto and LA) due to her thigh strain and if you see that match again, she was stretchign her back during points and even before serve in the first set.

As for her 'tactics', I find it so funny that noone said a word about it prior to her winning but now that she is winning all of a sudden it's an issue? Why wasn't this a topic of discussion before? Honestly I think Mary is too talented and too gracious and too mature to have to resort to "tactics". I honestly think these are mere habits that help Mary relax on the court, and I quite enjoy watching her do it.

Rahim

ali
Sep 15th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Actually Mary had shown signs of her injuries prior to the famous double Time Out. She did withdraw from two tournaments (Toronto and LA) due to her thigh strain and if you see that match again, she was stretchign her back during points and even before serve in the first set.

As for her 'tactics', I find it so funny that noone said a word about it prior to her winning but now that she is winning all of a sudden it's an issue? Why wasn't this a topic of discussion before? Honestly I think Mary is too talented and too gracious and too mature to have to resort to "tactics". I honestly think these are mere habits that help Mary relax on the court, and I quite enjoy watching her do it.

Rahim
:worship:

Not sure how many times we have to keep on making the same point, but make it we will! Interesting to read Dementieva's comments today....she said "It's an old story now and we should stop talking about it. She beat me that day because she was the best player, full stop." :clap2:

MissTennisFan
Sep 15th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Hey, I seriously hope you're right and I know I've said enough on the subject. Sorry for the sarcasm. You're a Mary Pierce fan. I have a favorite player of my own (not Dementievia btw) and I would probably defend her regardless of what anyone else was saying. I understand loyalty and I aplaud it. Sorry to say, you're probably going to hear a lot more on the subject and maybe even see a rule change as a result. Again, it isn't just a Mary Pierce issue. To be truthful, the media incites a lot of the controversy. They baited Dementieva with question after question and then quoted what they chose. If you read the whole interview, Elena clearly says the incident didn't affect the outcome of the match. You don't read that quote anywhere. Anyway, enjoy Mary's success and keep slugging away for her.

Thank you, I appreciate that; though I certainly hope I don't hear a lot more on this subject, why people would continue to discuss this matter is entirely beyond me... it's such a non-issue. I genuinely believe Mary was injured; she's come a long way and she's worked very hard to achieve the results she's enjoyed in the last few months -- end of story.

In any case, I really do appreciate what you've said and your apology. :wavey:

Mary is too talented and too gracious and too mature to have to resort to "tactics".

I wholeheartedly agree! :wavey:

She's way above trying to pull anything like this off...

MissTennisFan
Sep 15th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Interesting to read Dementieva's comments today....she said "It's an old story now and we should stop talking about it. She beat me that day because she was the best player, full stop." :clap2:

Well if that doesn't put this issue to rest, I don't know what will!

cakiteror
Sep 15th, 2005, 06:57 PM
i dont think that the guy that posted this thread had any hidden motives!
marys ponytale and all that she does on court is part of mary!
i dont love marys backhand,i love MARY!
i cant evan explain why i love her!
youre not a mary pierce fan,but i think that you should read about her,watch her,hear her,and youll know!i like dementieva,but she is far from being my favourite player,but i know stuff about her,not only about her serve.i say inform yourself and youll become a mary pierce fan,100%

Wizzy Maryfan
Sep 15th, 2005, 07:18 PM
It's outrageous to read such stupid comments I think !

You know, I think those who are in doubt about mary's thigh don't know Mary, and didn't see her on a tennis court since April, for sure !

Mary played great against Justine and Amelie, and she was really down during all the first set against Elena !
Even before the time out, I was wondering "Gosh, is she injured ? She seems to be without energy, she's not enjoying her match, for sure she's having trouble !"
And then, she called the doctor, and I wasn't surprised at all ! It helped her a lot, and she played a lot better after that, she played like she is used to since June !

So, I think that the persons who are not sure that Mary was injured are people who didn't notice that she was down ! I mean, they clearly don't know Mary, so they can't speak about her !
I mean, it's really stupide to speak about smth that you can't understand !
Mary is by far a better player than Elena is ! She was lucky to face an injured Mary, 'cause it allowed her to take a set ! Because then, it was a "no match" 6-2 6-2 !

:kiss:

The worst is that Elena's fan and stupide journalists who wanna send their newspaper are the only one who accuse Mary of cheating !
Elena herself said that it had nothing to lose with her lost !
By the way, i mean that Elena is BY FAR a better looser that her fans are !
Please, look at your favorite player, and wtop to believe that Elena was to win ! Mary was the best, she beat Elena, that's life, and without injury, Mary would have won in 2 ! Injured, without the doctor, she would have probably lost ... but if she called the doctor, it was to be better, not to stay without "peps" (energy) and with trouble !

C'est vraiment d'un con de dire "Mary jouait mieux après s'être soignée, donc c une tricheuse elle a fait expres" !
Je l'avoue, Mary a fait exprès d'appeler le kiné pour aller mieux, wah le scoop !
D'habitude on demande au kiné deux trois somnifères histoire de nous foutre un bon coup de mou, mais Mary a voulu se soigner pour mieux jouer, et elle l'a fait :eek:
Quelle horreur, bouh :tape:

DementievaStyle
Sep 15th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all these great comments, its definitly helped me to understand and accept Mary alot better now. :)

I have to say, as an Elena D fan, I can still say that at times Elena has also been accused of these sort of things in the past aswell.

MissTennisFan
Sep 15th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all these great comments, its definitly helped me to understand and accept Mary alot better now. :)

I have to say, as an Elena D fan, I can still say that at times Elena has also been accused of these sort of things in the past aswell.

You're welcome -- please feel free to stop by anytime...

youre not a mary pierce fan,but i think that you should read about her,watch her,hear her,and youll know!i like dementieva,but she is far from being my favourite player,but i know stuff about her,not only about her serve.i say inform yourself and youll become a mary pierce fan,100%

I agree with cakiteror, and I would also like to suggest you guys read a little more about Mary; I am sure that you would realize what a wonderful human being she truly is, and you would understand why we support her so much, how incredibly generous she is with her fans and why we're so moved by the things she says and does... especially after everything that has happened in the past few years.

cakiteror
Sep 15th, 2005, 08:08 PM
woooooooow,misstennisfun,i just love it when you agree with me!:)

MissTennisFan
Sep 15th, 2005, 08:20 PM
LOL, I always agree with people when they say nice things about Mary! :wavey:

meyerpl
Sep 15th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Spoken like true fans! I can tell you who was the first to jump all over Mary and imply that she was faking injury and abusing the system; John MnEnroe along with whoever was broadcasting with him (Mary Carillo?) They talked about it for the rest of the match. Afterward, McEnroe asked Mary Pierce on the air if she thought the rule should be changed that allowed her to do what she did. Mary basically said, that's a good question. It's up to the WTA. Then McEnroe then smirkingly asked Mary if she was going to be healthy enough to play against Clijsters. Mary sort of laughed off the question and said she'd be fine. Two things I wouldn't be happy about if I was a Pierce fan: One, anybody watching with no clue who either player was and no knowledge about tennis would have gotten the impression that Mary was doing something terrible just from listening to the commentators remarks. Two, The commentators have been grousing every time a player takes an injury time-out all year and implying that the player is playing games.

That's why I think we haven't heard the last of it even though Pierce, Dementieva and most fans would rather forget about it. People in the media hate the injury time-out and always have. They'd love to see the rules changed. I'm afraid they'll beat this incident to death.

Mary Pierce is a terrific player who deserves to be known for her game rather than the infamous injury time-out.

MissTennisFan
Sep 15th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I can tell you who was the first to jump all over Mary and imply that she was faking injury and abusing the system; John MnEnroe along with whoever was broadcasting with him (Mary Carillo?)

That's a huge disappointment. I really like John, I love his colorful personality and his sense of humour -- when it's not directed at Mary, that is! :(

meyerpl
Sep 15th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Yeah, McEnroe can be funny alright, but he can also be kind of mean. During the match between Clijsters & Sharapova, Sharapova's dad, Yuri was screeming at Maria like a maniac. McEnroe said Yuri was ridiculous, over the top, and that he'd hate it as a player if his father was yelling at him like that. I said, when John McEnroe (John McEnroe!) says your behavior is over the top, it's OVER THE TOP!

I think the broadcasters like to stir-up controversy wherever they can. I'm a Myskina fan (go ahead, laugh at me) and they're always trying to stir-up controversy between Myskina and Sharapova. Pierce is a vary nice player and I think it showed after her loss to Clijsters. Mary couldn't possibly have been more gracious.

MissTennisFan
Sep 15th, 2005, 09:10 PM
I'm a Myskina fan (go ahead, laugh at me)

I was actually just about to ask -- and no I won't laugh... why would I for that matter?

Pierce is a vary nice player and I think it showed after her loss to Clijsters. Mary couldn't possibly have been more gracious.

Yup -- that's Mary! :D

meyerpl
Sep 15th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Oh, being a Myskina fan is something to laugh about. We just aren't right. There are 17 different ways to say the "f-word" in Russian and we know them all. And we're all on heart medicine. If Myskina kicks her coach in the balls and sets him on fire, we say, "Isn't she cute?"

MissTennisFan
Sep 15th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Oh, being a Myskina fan is something to laugh about. We just aren't right. There are 17 different ways to say the "f-word" in Russian and we know them all. And we're all on heart medicine. If Myskina kicks her coach in the balls and sets him on fire, we say, "Isn't she cute?"

LOL!

Declan
Sep 15th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Without getting too heavy,or bring up some possible unpleasant things from Mary's past, I did read once that children from abusive backgrounds often pay great attention to detail, are obsessively tidy and are extremely ordered -this crosses my mind from time to time when I see Mary come out before a match, and spends ages rearranging her already-tidy towels very neatly! Pam Shriver commented on this at Wimbledon last year when she was playing Danillidou...
I do find this thread pretty tiresome. I can't believe that a player who has been on tour for 17 years can still have her 17-year old routines and mannerisms questioned in such a suspicious manner. Mary Pierce has many unique mannerisms and quirks between points, and plays a slow, measured game. Conchita Martinez is even slower, but apart from Patty Schnyder, no-one seems to suspect that her insistence on getting the same ball back again and again is anything but a personal quirk. Steffi Graf was the quickest player ever -she'd regularly be back on the baseline ready to play before the end of the changeover, while her opponent was still in her chair! But no-one suggested this was a sinister attempt to pressurise her player into hurrying up her game and rush into error upon error -it was accepted as just being Steffi's way. No two players are alike. Mary hasn't changed her 'tactics' lately. Actually, she is a bit quicker and less twitchy than she was a few years ago -didn't she say that it wasn't until she saw Conchita (affectionately) mimicking her in the locker room that she realised just how quirky her routine was, and she did try to moderate it somewhat?
Mary Pierce is a perfectionist, and plays a slow, measured and well-thought out game of tennis. She always has done. It's not about the effect it has on her opponent -it's what she does to feel right in her mind about her own game.

MissTennisFan
Sep 15th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Without getting too heavy,or bring up some possible unpleasant things from Mary's past, I did read once that children from abusive backgrounds often pay great attention to detail, are obsessively tidy and are extremely ordered -this crosses my mind from time to time when I see Mary come out before a match, and spends ages rearranging her already-tidy towels very neatly! Pam Shriver commented on this at Wimbledon last year when she was playing Danillidou...
I do find this thread pretty tiresome. I can't believe that a player who has been on tour for 17 years can still have her 17-year old routines and mannerisms questioned in such a suspicious manner. Mary Pierce has many unique mannerisms and quirks between points, and plays a slow, measured game. Conchita Martinez is even slower, but apart from Patty Schnyder, no-one seems to suspect that her insistence on getting the same ball back again and again is anything but a personal quirk. Steffi Graf was the quickest player ever -she'd regularly be back on the baseline ready to play before the end of the changeover, while her opponent was still in her chair! But no-one suggested this was a sinister attempt to pressurise her player into hurrying up her game and rush into error upon error -it was accepted as just being Steffi's way. No two players are alike. Mary hasn't changed her 'tactics' lately. Actually, she is a bit quicker and less twitchy than she was a few years ago -didn't she say that it wasn't until she saw Conchita (affectionately) mimicking her in the locker room that she realised just how quirky her routine was, and she did try to moderate it somewhat?
Mary Pierce is a perfectionist, and plays a slow, measured and well-thought out game of tennis. She always has done. It's not about the effect it has on her opponent -it's what she does to feel right in her mind about her own game.

Very well said... and very insightful. Thanks!

DomenicDemaria
Sep 16th, 2005, 08:18 AM
i think the title of this thread should be changed. Mary did no tatics. She did what she had to to win the match and that was to attend to injuries. The injury time out is old news now.

ashwu
Sep 16th, 2005, 09:00 AM
the fans nowdays are so young~ have you watched mary's matches before?

Andy.
Sep 16th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Its just mary in my book everyone has there little idiocyncresies and thats what i like about Mary she is a bit of a drama quuen and none of her matches are boring because you never know what Mary will do and how the opponenent will act. I prefer it to players that just get on with business and are a bit robotic Mary adds drama.

aimee20
Sep 16th, 2005, 01:41 PM
the fans nowdays are so young~ have you watched mary's matches before?

i think the thing is Mary has a big gap of time before she came back playing like she is now. the new tennis fans don't get to see her during that time. (since she always lost early or withdraw) and now when she is back on the spotlight. the new fans who has never watched her before simply just got the wrong impression.

i mean the fans these days are belong to maria or kim or whoever.
they are just not into player from the old days anymore and we have to admit that. so there's no way that they're gonna cheer for the oldies
( i can't believe i said that :tape: )and Mary's admiring personality in the past is now annoying habit.

and about John Mc i think he has nothing personal with Mary. he just grabs the opportunity to show off that's all. since he really likes being known as the outspoken person or that kinda stuff. poor John his show just got cancelled he 's been desperately seeking for more profile. :rolleyes:

timafi
Sep 16th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I'm happy Mary took that time out.
In the quarters of the USO 2004,none other than Dementieva took a med time out while loosing to Ame.Mauresmo and when Dementieva came back she went on to win that match.
Good looking out Mary
payback's a btch huh Elena?