PDA

View Full Version : Mary Fit and Ready For Fed Cup (Article)

pierce0415
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:11 PM
PARIS, Sept 15 (Reuters) - A revitalised Mary Pierce is eager to return to her favourite venue for the Fed Cup final at Roland Garros this weekend after making a full recovery from a thigh injury sustained during the U.S. Open.

Pierce, 30, who lost in the final to Belgium's Kim Clijsters, showed no ill effects during training with the France team on Wednesday.

"I was happy to be reunited with the team," she said. "I played with no strap around my thigh, which means the three days of rest I've just had have done me a lot of good.

"Above all, I was delighted to be back on that centre court. I love it."

To help overcome the stress from her American fortnight and the subsequent jet lag, Pierce has undergone a new relaxation technique by exposing herself to a special lamp.

"I like it," she said. "It works, I feel fine.

Pierce has many fond memories of Roland Garros. She won the final in 2000 and was also a finalist in 1994 and again this year.

"Since we won the semi-final I've been thinking about that final at Roland Garros," said Pierce, who is the only player to have taken part in both France's Fed Cup triumphs in 1997 and 2003.

"I've played so many matches here and I have so many great memories."

France have not played a Fed Cup tie at Roland Garros since 1978.

The American-based, Canada-born Pierce had a difficult relationship with the French fans for years before her French Open triumph five years ago.

Sometimes perceived as arrogant in her younger days, Pierce has matured over the years and is now always happy to talk to the fans and the media.

After being hampered by a string of injuries over the past few years, she staged a remarkable comeback this year with her runs to the French and U.S. Open finals.

France, playing their third successive Fed Cup final, will be relying on Pierce and Amelie Mauresmo against a strong Russian team featuring Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva.

meyerpl
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:03 PM
What a surprise after that horrible injury(s) she suffered at the USO. I wasn't sure she'd ever walk again, let alone play tennis.

ali
Sep 15th, 2005, 06:19 PM
What a surprise after that horrible injury(s) she suffered at the USO. I wasn't sure she'd ever walk again, let alone play tennis.
I think you've made your point about this in the other thread. I like healthy debate, but filling up loads of threads with the same opinion gets very boring. This is a forum for fans of Mary - I'll happily discuss the injury timeout issue on the other thread, but if you have nothing else to say, then leave us in peace please.

Thanks

meyerpl
Sep 15th, 2005, 07:03 PM
I think you've made your point about this in the other thread. I like healthy debate, but filling up loads of threads with the same opinion gets very boring. This is a forum for fans of Mary - I'll happily discuss the injury timeout issue on the other thread, but if you have nothing else to say, then leave us in peace please.

Thanks
I stand corrected and apologize for my sarcasm. I was and remain unhappy with what I perceive as Mary abusing the system, but that doesn't justify me entering your domain and blowing off steam on Mary's loyal fans.

As I said, the unfortunate aspect of the incident is that Mary played two awsome, dominating sets of tennis afterward and didn't get much recognition for that. The way she was playing was good enough to beat anybody on the tour today.

I wish Mary and her fans success.

ali
Sep 15th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Thanks.

Scotso
Sep 16th, 2005, 02:18 AM
I really don't care what people want to post about her, but this is the forum for her fans, and those posts don't belong here.

Good article.

ashwu
Sep 16th, 2005, 09:54 AM
i really don't think just because it lasted 12 minutes, so her injury has to force her quit the rest of the year.

Kathrin
Sep 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Are you serious? How old are you? In fact not old enough to talk about things you don't know nothin' about!

Kathrin.

Mark Spruce
Sep 16th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the article

Mark

MPStylee
Sep 17th, 2005, 04:29 AM
I think non-Mary fans should come on here if they have queries about her then we can inform them the truth about the real Mary 'cause they obviously get totally misinformed and that is wrong!