PDA

View Full Version : Will she make the year end championships?

JC Federer
Sep 13th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Looks like it's going to be tough to make the field this year... Last season she had two GS finals and some other finals...

This year, other girls have pretty safely made their way in.

Kim
Justine
Serena
Venus
Lindsay
Maria
Mary

Those seven are a pretty safe bet to make the draw.... Which leaves only 1 spot. Can she do it? I think she'll need to win some T1's to make the field, because all of the above did win one (or better, a GS) or more T1's.

Currently Patty Schnyder and Nadia Petrova are ahead, but not by that much... Lena has only played 14 tournaments so far, according to WTA website. And has some points to defend coming up (though that won't affect the Race).

A YEC without Lena? Noooo... Let's hope she wins in Moscow. But the field is tougher with the belgians and WS back. And maybe Maria will play too..

Paco
Sep 13th, 2005, 08:40 AM
She can play there but I will be hard. Come on Lena

Dementirilenko
Sep 13th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Hmm, this year, its looks not that good for Lena. She's now only ranked on #10 in the Championsrace and she needs a very good season - finish to enter the top 8 and to play this year at L.A. But Lena will make it, I am sure!

Veritas
Sep 13th, 2005, 12:41 PM
I think you can scratch out Justine. I heard that she's taking the rest of the year off - something about her not having fully recovered from a virus. Anyway, if that's the case, then Lena will probably have to compete against Nadia for the last spot. But this won't be any easier, since Nadia's best surface is probably indoors...

miffedmax
Sep 13th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I almost hope Elena doesn't make it. Frankly, I would rather see her take the time to work on her serve with Krajeck (sp?) and recharge her batteries.

She had a very grueling '04, and I think that hurt her in the early part of '05. It's not like the YEC really crown a true champion, either.

I would like to see Lena win a tournament, continue the partnership with Pannetta, win the Fed Cup and take some time off.

Then own the whole freakin' tour in '06.

Chunchun
Sep 13th, 2005, 02:48 PM
she's currently bout 200 points after no.8 Schnyder :scared: :hehehe:

Go Lena!

jmcfarla
Sep 13th, 2005, 03:05 PM
This year, other girls have pretty safely made their way in.

Kim
Justine
Serena
Venus
Lindsay
Maria
Mary

Of that list Serena is currently 11th, 200-odd points behind Lena in the race (although Amelie is pretty much certain to be there so there is still probably only one guarenteed place left).

That means it is between Lena, Patty, Nadia & Serena for one place, although I would expect atleast one - possibly more - of the players who qualify to pull out (as already said it already seems that justine ,might be one).

I think she is going to need at least one big tournament (probably a win) before the end of the year.

Hopefully she can continue her US Open form to the end of the year, and we might just she her there. :yeah:

JC Federer
Sep 14th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Doesn't the WTA have some rule similar to the ATP where if you win a slam, then even if you're outside the top 7 you still get precedence over the #8 (slamless)?

I think YEC is a prestigious tournament to win. Only the best in the world qualify to even play it, and there's no easy draws. If you make the draw, then you were among the best 8 players of the season, which is always a nice distinction. Even JHH has yet to win the title. And I think it's way better than a T1 title.

Paco
Sep 14th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Doesn't the WTA have some rule similar to the ATP where if you win a slam, then even if you're outside the top 7 you still get precedence over the #8 (slamless)?

No, it's not like in ATP