PDA

View Full Version : What a week, Maria Sharapova

mn73
Apr 21st, 2002, 07:49 AM
15th birthday and first professional singles title :)

Any news on next junior and pro events?

~SunFlower~
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:38 AM
HI My Marky, (LOL!)

Yes, what a week! Happy Birthday, Sharky! :kiss:

Congrats on your first pro title! Now win a WTA title before your 16th birthday and win a Grand Slam before 17th birthday.... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Ok ok, I am getting carried away!

She's been in the finals of all combined tournaments: 5 out of 7 this year!

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/workaholic/web/report/report2002/020421/p4210194.jpg

~SunFlower~
Apr 21st, 2002, 08:44 AM
Marky,

I believe Maria will be going to Europe for clay tournaments in juniors next month. She said in the article that she will play for juniors Grand Slams: French Open and Wimbledon.

Go Sharky! Win the next three Junior Grand Slams this year!!:bounce: :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 21st, 2002, 09:20 AM
Well done Masha :) a pretty great week :) :bounce:

Masha .....
Italian Open could be one for her just before French

Now Masha has another year to play her events in (8 in all) but i expect her to get into the range for qualies for SLAMS soon which would give her SLAMS as additional events

auntie janie
Apr 21st, 2002, 01:09 PM
Congrats to Maria! :)

Gus
Apr 21st, 2002, 01:36 PM
Eggy, why did you crossTatiana Golovin out of your favs?
She s still half Russian... and that was one of our common points !

mn73
Apr 21st, 2002, 04:24 PM
I read that she is planning to play Wimbledon qualifying :)

Is her ranking high enough for that, or is she looking for wildcards?

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 21st, 2002, 05:07 PM
her rank is not high enough yet for wimby qual

WC qualies i hope

Gus ........ I didn't realize i did that cos i edited it and made some changes :o

the cat
Apr 21st, 2002, 05:20 PM
Congrats to Maria! What a great week for her.

These Japan tournaments were played on Green clay? Does anyone know for sure? From some of the photos I've seen, it looks like Maria was playing on green clay. I'm hoping she spends as little time as possible on hard courts. :eek:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 21st, 2002, 05:24 PM
it was synthetic grass :)

the cat
Apr 21st, 2002, 05:28 PM
Why in the world would they play on synthetic grass? The pro's don't even play on it. I hope Maria's done playing on synthetic grass. That sounds hazardous to your health!

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 21st, 2002, 05:43 PM
its not dangerous but it hurts if you fall on it.
you get burn marks.

Played football on that and i know

Here's details

$10,000 GUNMA PREFECTURE, JAPAN 15 Apr 2002 / 21 Apr 2002 JAPAN
Outdoor Prize Money: US$10000 Asia / Oceania
Entry Deadline: 25 Mar 2002 Qualifying Start Date: 13 Apr 2002 Main Draw: #1: 8
W/D Deadline: 01 Apr 2002 Qualifying End Date: 14 Apr 2002 Qualifying Draw: #1: 32

Venue Address Entry Details Venue(s) Surface(s)
Gunma Prefecture
JAPAN
Tel: (44 208) 392 4692
Fax: (44 208) 392 4748/ 4749
Gunma Prefecture

Carpet - Art. Grass

CB
Apr 21st, 2002, 09:46 PM
:eek: :eek:

Synthetic grass!!! That's so nuts! How was this event ever allowed by ITF?

It's probably the only tournament which uses this kind of surface, which is mostly used more for recreational football. In Brazil, it's called Football Society :)

Anyway, this just proves that Sharky is really an all-surface player :D :rolleyes:

Congrats girl :bounce:

Justinator
Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:36 PM
Congrats Maria! :)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:57 PM
alot of events have Synthetic Grass.

Batumi in 2000 used this
Dublin 25K in 2000 also, was made into 10K in 2001 also has this

Japanese events use surface around this time of yr.

last weeks Junior Japan Open was also played on this surface.

the cat
Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:03 PM
Eggy, I saw some photos of the junior Japan Open. And it looked like they played on green clay. The court seemed kind of messy like a green clay court.

I want these synthetic grass courts outlawed! :eek:

It's bad enough that Australia uses those sticky foot catching rebound ace courts! Lina Krasnoroutskaya's season, and maybe career, were ruined by those awful rebound ace couts. Poor Lina! :mad:

Why would Maria's management send her to Japan to play two tournaments on synthec grass courts? :confused: It doesn't make any sense! :sad: It's clay court season. Not synthetic grass court season! ;)

Udachi Maria! :)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:12 PM
cat it looks like green clay but its nothing of the sort,

the courts are sand filled as well.

the cat
Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:22 AM
What courts are sand filled? Synthetic grass? That sounds bad. And it can't be a good surface to play on, otherwise the WTA would have tournaments on synthetic grass. Sand filled? That sounds terrible. :(

DutchieGirl
Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by the cat
Eggy, I saw some photos of the junior Japan Open. And it looked like they played on green clay. The court seemed kind of messy like a green clay court.

I want these synthetic grass courts outlawed! :eek:

It's bad enough that Australia uses those sticky foot catching rebound ace courts! Lina Krasnoroutskaya's season, and maybe career, were ruined by those awful rebound ace couts. Poor Lina! :mad:

Why would Maria's management send her to Japan to play two tournaments on synthec grass courts? :confused: It doesn't make any sense! :sad: It's clay court season. Not synthetic grass court season! ;)

Udachi Maria! :)

umm I have played many times on rebouand ace, and it's not THAT bad!

Plus, I love synthetic grass courts! :D We have them at the local club, and they are fine - yes it burns if you fall, but that doesn't happen often! I much prefer synthetic grass to real grass!

the cat
Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:23 PM
Inky, you're kidding, aren't you? You like synthetic grass? It's different from rebound ace, isn't it.

I'd like to get rid of synthetic grass courts and rebound ace courts. Those courts haven't done any good for tennis. I'd rather have clay courts than those 2 horrible courts! :mad: