PDA

View Full Version : New Article

lizzymarie
Sep 2nd, 2005, 04:09 PM
Pierce rolling alone
By: Harold Gutmann
September 02, 2005

NEW YORK — Mary Pierce isn't generating the same amount of publicity as the other top contenders for the women's title, but she may be playing as well as anyone — and is one of the few who can say they are completely healthy.

Pierce beat Katarina Srebotnik of Slovakia, No. 50 in the latest WTA rankings, 6-3, 6-2 at the U.S. Open to advance to the third round.

Pierce, the No. 12 seed, won the Acura Classic a month ago in San Diego — her first WTA title since 2000 — en route to a second-place finish in the U.S. Open Series.

Pierce credits her work ethic and practice habits for getting her to the verge of the top 10 again.

"I've been working hard for over a year now and just getting fitter, and that's really made a big difference," Pierce said. "My game is a very physical game. I need to have my legs in order to play my game."

In the past year Pierce has jumped 16 spots in the rankings to No. 12, the biggest leap of any player in the top 15. Most impressive, the Frenchwoman is doing it at the age of 30.

While that may not seem like an advanced age, keep in mind that Justine Henin-Hardenne, 23, was asked by reporters yesterday if she felt old, and she responded in the affirmative. In fact, when Pierce reached the final of the French Open in June, she was the oldest Grand Slam finalist since Martina Navratilova in 1994.

"She is in the twilight of her career and is playing the best tennis of her life right now," said Tracy Austin, who is calling matches for the USA.

Declan
Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:15 PM
So what was the Ordina Open title in Holland last year -a dream??!!!

sebbe
Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:30 PM

Haha exactely my thought.

saby
Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:57 PM
YEP BUT A BEAUTIFUL DREAM !! :lol: ;)
There is an article today on the french newspaper too

it says "Pierce meneuse de revue"

I think it can be tranlate by "Pierce leads the revue"

flea
Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:29 PM
YEP BUT A BEAUTIFUL DREAM !! :lol: ;)
There is an article today on the french newspaper too

it says "Pierce meneuse de revue"

I think it can be tranlate by "Pierce leads the revue"C'est dans le journal L'Equipe que tu as lu cet article Saby ??
Il serait possible que tu le retranscrives, ou que que tu fasses un petit résumé de ce qui y est dit stp ?? Seulement si tu en as le temps et l'envie bien évidemment.. ;)
Merci par avance. flea

Mark Spruce
Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:46 PM
I am always happy when people do write things about Mary, and being positive about her.

And less pressure on Mary is best.

GO MARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

MissTennisFan
Sep 3rd, 2005, 05:37 AM

LOL! :haha: :haha: :haha:

cakiteror
Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:01 AM
i love the ordina title,marys first on grass!

Mark Spruce
Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:29 AM
Yes Mary's first on grass. It was just great too see Mary so happy !!!!!!!!!

It proved that reporter a few years ago at Wimbledon, that said Mary was like a cow on grass. That made me so angry

Mark

saby
Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
C'est dans le journal L'Equipe que tu as lu cet article Saby ??
Il serait possible que tu le retranscrives, ou que que tu fasses un petit résumé de ce qui y est dit stp ?? Seulement si tu en as le temps et l'envie bien évidemment.. ;)
Merci par avance. flea

J'essairai de le faire durant le week-end (oui c'est dans l'équipe)

stenen
Sep 3rd, 2005, 12:33 PM
The French tennis federation has a little website made about the USO with pics, reports and audiofiles. http://www.fft.fr/usopen2005/