PDA

View Full Version : If Maria wins R128, she has the easiest quadrant of like...anyone EVER!

Geisha
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:17 AM
If Maria gets passed Eleni Daniilidou, she will have the easiest quandrant in a draw the last couple of years in women's tennis, at least.

No.28 Flavia Petter, No.21 Dinara Safina, No.14 Alicia Molik, No.22 Silvia Farina Elia, and No.5 Svetlana Kuznetsova are all in her quarter and all lost today, leaving only two seeded players other than Sharapova: No.9 Nadia Petrova and No.26 Nicole Vaidisova.

Before the Quarterfinals take place, Maria will play one of these players- No.42 Sania Mirza, No.81 Maria Elena Camerin, No.87 Julia Schruff, No.64 Lisa Raymond, and No.48 Dally Randriantefy.

I can't remember someone who was so lucky in a draw...

ampers&
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Wow...

pcrtennis
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:20 AM
I don't know...I could see Raymond and Mirza, especially, giving her trouble...At least I hope!

the cat
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Maria's toughest opponent in tennis Kim Clijsters is in her half of the draw so go easy on Masha's supposed easy draw. I would rather she have a tougher draw and have Clijsters on the opposite side of the draw. And by the way Sharapova is playing the very talented Eleni Danilidou in the first round of the U.S. Open. And Danbiidou beat Justine Henin in the first round of Wimbledon this year. Maria's draw isn't as easy as you make it sound.

Ceecor
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=anniflava]If Maria gets passed Eleni Daniilidou, she will have the easiest quandrant in a draw the last couple of years in women's tennis, at least.

yes...id love to get a bet on before she firms further..she'd have to be 4,5's now
petrova in the 1/4?

Foot_Fault
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:35 AM
well Maria is playing Terrible...at this rate she can definately fall before the Quarters, but the thing is...Daniilidou is playing WORSE! horrible Tennis from both...she definately wont go far on this form.

Ceecor
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:45 AM
U can be sure she will firm in the market, she will most likely go back close to her earlier quote. The only reason she blew was injury concern.

RenaSlam.
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Maria had an easier quarter at Wimbledon...

Oneofakind0490
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Mirza could be tough as she can out hit Maria. Go Sania. Reach the round where you can face her.

ys
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Maria probably never looked as venus-esque on court.. It looks like she is indeed still growing, as her footwork looked very clumsy and very much similar to Venus's one , when when the backfoot seems sometimes to be almost dragged behind the body..

But very impressive win.. Things looking good for Maria. To have a chance to win she needs a cooler weather to settle in before she hits bigger opponents. AIn a typical US Open second week weather she'll be in a very good chance to beat just about anyone.. She was lucky they gave her a night match today.. With the weather being as hot as it is now in the area things could have been different during the day..

Knizzle
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:07 AM
To have a chance to win she needs a cooler weather to settle in before she hits bigger opponents. AIn a typical US Open second week weather she'll be in a very good chance to beat just about anyone.. She was lucky they gave her a night match today.. With the weather being as hot as it is now in the area things could have been different during the day..

Because of her white skin right ys?? :D

RenaSlam.
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Maria probably never looked as venus-esque on court.. It looks like she is indeed still growing, as her footwork looked very clumsy and very much similar to Venus's one , when when the backfoot seems sometimes to be almost dragged behind the body..

But very impressive win.. Things looking good for Maria. To have a chance to win she needs a cooler weather to settle in before she hits bigger opponents. AIn a typical US Open second week weather she'll be in a very good chance to beat just about anyone.. She was lucky they gave her a night match today.. With the weather being as hot as it is now in the area things could have been different during the day..

Please don't be like Ted Robinson and compare Maria's footwork to Venus'... :tape: :tape:

Ceecor
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:13 AM
gee .some real intel' posting here huh :shrug:

lizchris
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Please don't be like Ted Robinson and compare Maria's footwork to Venus'... :tape: :tape:

Tracy had to correct him on that one; as big of a fan as she is of Sharapova, she said that when it comes to footwork and movement, Maria isn't even in Venus' league.

lizchris
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:38 AM

I saw the bombs that Venus was serving and if they were to meet in the SF, there is no way Maria is beating Venus. In fact, with her injury, she can't outserve Kim, Serena or Nadia, but Kim and Serena could beat her.

ys
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:41 AM

It's indeed meaningless. Maria's footwork only looks clumsy, but it is not bad, it's not yet as good as Davenport's, Seles's or Hingis's, but it is not bad.. Venus's footwork is her major weakness.. not so much on this surface though.

lizchris
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:50 AM
It's indeed meaningless. Maria's footwork only looks clumsy, but it is not bad, it's not yet as good as Davenport's, Seles's or Hingis's, but it is not bad.. Venus's footwork is her major weakness.. not so much on this surface though.

I thought Venus' weakness was her forehand, no her second serve, now her footwork is her weakness? Funny, I didn't see that when she beat Maria at Wimbledon.:rolleyes:

Portobello
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:51 AM
So Good For Her :lol: :lol:

Congrats Maria :bounce: :bounce:

njnetswill
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Lindsay's still looks easier.

Ceecor
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Hi- Do I know you?
only via Jelana Dokic :)

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:54 AM
If Maria gets passed Eleni Daniilidou, she will have the easiest quandrant in a draw the last couple of years in women's tennis, at least.

No.28 Flavia Petter, No.21 Dinara Safina, No.14 Alicia Molik, No.22 Silvia Farina Elia, and No.5 Svetlana Kuznetsova are all in her quarter and all lost today, leaving only two seeded players other than Sharapova: No.9 Nadia Petrova and No.26 Nicole Vaidisova.

Before the Quarterfinals take place, Maria will play one of these players- No.42 Sania Mirza, No.81 Maria Elena Camerin, No.87 Julia Schruff, No.64 Lisa Raymond, and No.48 Dally Randriantefy.

I can't remember someone who was so lucky in a draw...

Most #1 seeds generally have easier draws until the quarters. Its not unprecedented. Drama be damned.

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:56 AM
I thought Venus' weakness was her forehand, no her second serve, now her footwork is her weakness? Funny, I didn't see that when she beat Maria at Wimbledon.:rolleyes:

If you watch Venus' forehand, you would understand that anytime someone slices or takes pace off the ball hit to her forehand, Venus either hits long or nets the ball. Venus feeds off pace hit to her forehand.

Maria envy?

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:57 AM
I saw the bombs that Venus was serving and if they were to meet in the SF, there is no way Maria is beating Venus. In fact, with her injury, she can't outserve Kim, Serena or Nadia, but Kim and Serena could beat her.

That remains to be seen ;)

Dawn Marie
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:58 AM

Ok so your saying that Venus's major footwork weakness is not on hardcourt nor on grass? Venus out hit and out footworked Masha on grass? So then clay and hardtru are where Venus's footwork weakness reigns?? Lmao.

If Venus's footwork is her major weakness then I am curious as to what you think Maria's major weakness is? Imho it is FOOTWORK and Fitness

lizchris
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:14 AM
If you watch Venus' forehand, you would understand that anytime someone slices or takes pace off the ball hit to her forehand, Venus either hits long or nets the ball. Venus feeds off pace hit to her forehand.

Maria envy?

Hardly, considering one player has five GS and the other has one (that she couldn't defend).

What I am sick of is the hype of a player who is seeded one, but is no longer number one in the world, who is favored to win the US Open over a player who just won the last Slam played and who is a two time winner of the event, when she has never progressed past the third round.

morningglory
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:24 AM
In time I'm sure Lindsay's gonna be even easier.... Elena D and Momo.... we'll see folks whether they can make the date with Mrs. Leach :)
Justine is my best bet to take out Lindsay at the moment

Portobello
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:27 AM
In time I'm sure Lindsay's gonna be even easier.... Elena D and Momo.... we'll see folks whether they can make the date with Mrs. Leach :)
Justine is my best bet to take out Lindsay at the moment

Yeahhh Juju always freak me out :eek:
she'll be tough opponent for Linds,but Kim always tough too :p

franny
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Her road to the semis has been made extremely easy by all the other seeded players losing. But that does not mean jack shit, because really, there are only a handful of players that can win slams. It doesnt matter if she plays Kuznetsova in the quarters or some unknown, because either ways, she would have won. What matters is can she win in the semis and finals against the other top contenders. Her road to the semis being easy or not means nothing. She will have a tough semifinal opponent no matter who it is and a tough final opponent. That's really what counts.

Fingon
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:38 AM
an easy quadrant? are we taking about a tournament or a map?

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:59 AM
an easy quadrant? are we taking about a tournament or a map?

People has to accomodate their language problem, or rather ignorance in order to express what it is on their mind. :p

Weird it is coming from her... :devil:

Ceecor
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:06 AM
apx best prices post r1
Kim Clijsters............... $3.50
Maria Sharapova $4.50
Justine Henin-Hardenne $4.50
Lindsay Davenport $7.00
Serena Williams $9.00
Venus Williams $11.00
Amelie Mauresmo $15.00
Others $41.00+