PDA

View Full Version : Easily the most dramatic moment of day one:

V.Melb
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Akiko Morigami and Nicole Pratt play a first set that lasts for well over an hour.

Pratt is hustling, grunting and scrambling - feeding her succumbing opponent all the dead balls and loopy spin she can muster.

Slowly, Akiko begins to become pale and continues to hold her leg. She pulls out the first set 7-6 by running Pratt around the court... despite this... Pratt is jogging back to the chair, ready to head back onto court and continue hacking balls back at her japanese opponent.

Pratt goes up to 3-0 in the second set ..... Morigami limps all over the court, often shaking her head with doubt... grimace on her face, clearly in pain... she is cramping severly and constantly looking over to her support team.

Australians in the crowd are cheering as loudly as possible.... screaming every chant they can think of.- At first this was great because it was such a competitive match... however, the australian commentators, as well as the american crowd grew tired of this... The crowd refused to join a mexican wave started by the 10-15 aussies, who booed and jeered when the crowd didn't follow their lead!

The trainer covers most of Morigami's limbs with ice during a break in the 2nd set.
Morigami is clearly told by the trainer she has no options... her cramps were too serious... (there is an awful image of Morigami's calf muscle bulging out of her leg as she is walking... the muscle would not relax, it remained flexed - it is a sickening sight)

Morigami persists to play 2-3 games in which she did not win a point, hit 4 doubles and did not move an inch for any of pratt's shots. The crowd was silent... the commentators were stating she should retire asap. Pratt was not even needing to rally the ball.... Morigami was begining to cry!

The trained gets so frustrated with Akiko's refusal to retire the match, that she walks off nodding her head in disaproval - leaving Akiko on the chair.

Aikiko loses the second set 6-0 in about 15 min, then cannot get up to play the 3rd set! ... her crying becomes far more obvious... she starts hyper-ventilating... her breathing is so heavy and fast everyone can hear it. Everone is silent (except the aussies who are steal cheering loudly).

After sitting in the chair for about 5 full minutes balling her eyes out the medical staff rush over to her as she has a complete panic attack...
A wheelchair is brought over and a Morigami was forced to breath into a paper bag! they lifted her onto a wheelchair as she was completely paralysed only her head was shaking! :o

All the while - to everyones dismay... the aussies are still screaming! - some one them questioning Morigami.... Through her tears, in broken english, Morigami screamed out "I'm Done!" to the Australian contingent - who responded by clapping!

What an awful experience for her. Having to deal with all that! Her refusal to retire the match caused the situation to become worse for her... she should not have played 3-4 games of standing there watching the ball fly past.
Also, aussies aren't the most intellegent race of people.... they were screaming and chanting whilst she was is hysterical tears!

I will say one thing though.... Pratt is fit and steely like a little bulldog... she looked ready to play another 8-9 sets of retreiving style tennis!

----It was all very dramatic to watch - as well as slightly disturbing.

Geisha
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:04 AM
When I was watching the highlights, I thought there was a new movie out:

The Exorcism of Akiko

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Stupid Oz fanatics :rolleyes: You don't cheer louder while the opponent cries out of pain :fiery::rolleyes:

JenFan75
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:08 AM
I didn't see it but it sounds really sad :sad:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Where did you see the highlights?

Ceecor
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:09 AM
When I was watching the highlights, I thought there was a new movie out:

The Exorcism of Akiko

actually a tad hard to watch
Hey AF :)

C.MARTINEZ
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Akiko :sad: :sad:

get well soon!!!

416_Man
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Akikko is such a friendly player. Does not deserve that one bit. Really hurts me a crowd would do that, very uncharacteristic for women's tennis.

pcrtennis
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Wow...thats' awfull...I didn't knwo it was that bad.....I have neve rliked Aussie fans...what a pathetic display........

Poor Akiko.....

wow...

~Cherry*Blossom~
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:28 AM
:sad: poor Akiko, after a great summer season as well :sad:

and the aussie fans sound absolutely pathetic. It's disgusting what they did!

Myskina Fan
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:30 AM
It was all very dramatic to watch - as well as slightly disturbing.
You got that right. It wasn't a match; more a psycho drama. Like something from the Twilight Zone. Pratt's a hustler and a true blue, dyed-in-the-wool Aussie and I thought it was nice to see her get some loud and proud Aussie support thousands of miles away from home and they spurred her on but I do wonder if maybe that group of fans are not regular, year-long tennis fans because the way you say they reacted to Morigami's injury was exactly right.

Sad scenes for Morigami but still I came away from it admiring Pratt's scrapping.

pcrtennis
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:32 AM
You got that right. It wasn't a match; more a psycho drama. Like something from the Twilight Zone. Pratt's a hustler and a true blue, dyed-in-the-wool Aussie and I thought it was nice to see her get some loud and proud Aussie support thousands of miles away from home and they spurred her on but I do wonder if maybe that group of fans are not regular, year-long tennis fans because the way you say they reacted to Morigami's injury was exactly right.

Sad scenes for Morigami but still I came away from it admiring Pratt's scrapping.

Interesting how you could come away with good feelings of any sort after that.... :o :(

Damn Australian fans....please....

Geisha
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:39 AM
actually a tad hard to watch
Hey AF :)

Hi- Do I know you?

cellophane
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:47 AM
:mad: :( :sad:

huh?
what's a "Mexican Wave"?...is that any different than "the wave"?

Oneofakind0490
Poor Morigami. I was so sad when I saw the wheelchair.
Stupid Aussies. I saw of pic of them cheering loudly on yahoo.

V.Melb
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:50 AM
The aussies didn't exaclty set out to demoralize Akiko. But - they have no 'tact' - basically they didn't know when to shut up. The crowd got sick of them, and they lost their novelty - the commentators were shocked that security wasn't called to tell them off! :o

-the point of this thread is not to attack the stupid aussie fans... just to feel sympathy for Akiko. ;)

Myskina Fan
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Interesting how you could come away with good feelings of any sort after that.... :o :(

Damn Australian fans....please....
It was sad for Akiko and I hope she recovers but I admired Pratt's fighting and scrapping in set 1 and Morigami's injury doesn't change that. The Australian fans are usually warm and popular with the players when they play in Australia so I don't think that group of fans there today is representative of all the Australian fans. The group today went too far.

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:08 AM
WOW! I didn't see the match but that sounds really pathetic the way Aussie fans treated Morigami! :(

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Wow...thats' awfull...I didn't knwo it was that bad.....I have neve rliked Aussie fans...what a pathetic display........

Poor Akiko.....

wow...
That's typical of you! :lol: You always defend your Asian players all the time :rolleyes: As being Australian and I would never do that to anyone who have injury :) What kind of stupid person you are? :confused:

pcrtennis
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:14 AM
That's typical of you! :lol: You always defend your Asian players all the time :rolleyes: As being Australian and I would never do that to anyone who have injury :) What kind of stupid person you are? :confused:

What's wrong with defending many of the Asian players...I don't see how that's a bad thing....

Just because you don't act rediculously doesn't mean that it doesn't happen often.... :rolleyes:

I won't even address the last part because it's so pathetic... :lol: :rolleyes: :lol:

Tennace
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:16 AM
There was one highlight I saw on USA and it just showed her crying and being pushed off the court in a wheelchair.

angele87
-the point of this thread is not to attack the stupid aussie fans... just to feel sympathy for Akiko. ;)

Also, aussies aren't the most intellegent race of people.... they were screaming and chanting whilst she was is hysterical tears!

:scratch: You're making some pretty wide assumptions here based on about a dozen people.

Anyways having said that, what a sad, sad day for Morigami :sad: Saw 'highlights' on tv and she looked so troubled. Hope she's feeling better now.

pcrtennis
When did they show it on USA?

wateva
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:17 AM
very bad display from australian fans.

RenaSlam.
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Fuck the Aussies...their tournament sucks...(minus all the years Andre and Serena won it :lol:)

angele87
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:21 AM
When did they show it on USA?
Around 3:55 eastern time.

Sharapova's_Boy
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:21 AM
:sad:

Julian
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:26 AM
thats sooo sad
bad class from the aussie crowd

hope akiko is ok

Ceecor
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:31 AM
gee, can you imagine if these comments were made on a dif thread with a few substitutions...
"african-amercan" was substituted for "aussie" for example
1) Fuck the Aussies
2) Also, aussies aren't the most intellegent race of people

pcrtennis
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Did the USA commentators say anything about it???

angele87
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Did the USA commentators say anything about it???
What I saw on USA was very, very brief. The commentators only explained what happened, didn't say anything at all about the crowd.

V.Melb
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:34 AM
urgh - this thread is turning into argument.

I want sympathy for Akiko people! now start sympathising!

Mr_Molik
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:36 AM
gee, can you imagine if these comments were made on a dif thread with a few substitutions...
1) Fuck the Aussies
lol that definitely wouldnt go down too well

Marshmallow
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Sounds awful. Isn't she the one who collapsed from sun-stroke or something.

As for the aussie crowd. Tasteless and brainless. No wonder sharapova is so popular there .... j/k.

I hope morigami gets better. I can see why she didn't want to retire - hope she gets better.

njnetswill
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:54 AM
It's like Hewitt has inflicted a disease on his fellow Aussies! :lol: Just joking.

I hope Morigami is ok. And didn't take the jeering too personal.

*roddicksinme*
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Akiko :sad:

Hachiko
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Stupid Australian fans ... I saw a bit of this on the news ... I'm so sad for Akiko.
Just for the record, I'm Australian, and I'd never support Nicole Pratt.

Ceecor
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:06 AM
As for the aussie crowd. Tasteless and brainless. No wonder sharapova is so popular there .... j/k.

oh i get it ,you can make racial slurs and put j/k there to make it ok

swap 'aussie' to 'afican-american' and 'sharpova' for either of the 'williams sisters'.

why is it ok for people to slur russians,belgians,aussies 'collectivly' etc racism is race... its not only color.

Shana
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Poor Akiko !

Zippy
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:10 AM
1) Fuck the Aussies
GREAT POINT Ceecor

Yeah, I'm surprised RenaSlam & V.Melb made those remarks. I mean I've seen some pretty obnoxious and just plain ridiculous behaved Americans both white and black. I've also seen the same with some people from other countries via the TV and the Internet too. But you will not ever catch me saying Americans are retarded, or anything of that nature. I would be in the wrong to make such a generalization. I feel that they (RenaSlam & Melb) are too.

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Stupid Australian fans ... I saw a bit of this on the news ... I'm so sad for Akiko.
Just for the record, I'm Australian, and I'd never support Nicole Pratt.
Nicole Pratt has nothing to do with this crowd! :tape:

LeRoy.
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Akiko was having such a good summer :sad: Too bad it had to end this way :sad: Rest up and get well soon :wavey:

go hingis
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:14 AM
lmao at all the ignorant dumb racists.

Afew Australian supporters got carried away at a sporting event so this must mean all Australians are stupid etc or is it just people that think like that that are stupid.

I feel sorry Akiko and wish her a quick recovery.

Ceecor
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Nah zippy....Its not just this thread ,its all over...........actually i think there are very few racists here..
just a lot of weak little cowards that hide in safty here and use racial slurs against some races as a form of abuse or hide them in j/ks..... BUT hide behind the race card when it comes to others.

pcrtennis
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Australian is a race? Hmmmmmm...new to me...

But I agree saying hateful things about Australians is unfair as a vast majority are great people. The fans can be rowdy but not disrespectful usually. These guys were just drunk idiots.

franny
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:26 AM
It would have been nice if Pratt could have yelled at to those Aussies to shut up.

go hingis
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:27 AM
It would have been nice if Pratt could have yelled at to those Aussies to shut up.

I agree

go hingis
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:28 AM
lol, I can't start to understand how they would act this way, oh wait how did I act when Martina was on court. GO MARTINA!

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:30 AM
I didn't see it but my mother watched it, though. She told me about it and after the match, Nicole walk towards the Aussie supporters and hugged them. It suggests they're actually friends of hers. Who knows?

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Stupid Oz fanatics :rolleyes: You don't cheer louder while the opponent cries out of pain :fiery::rolleyes:

That is really uselessly cruel...

Justeenium
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:34 AM
wtf is a "mexican wave" ???

Marshmallow
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:45 AM

swap 'aussie' to 'afican-american' and 'sharpova' for either of the 'williams sisters'.

why is it ok for people to slur russians,belgians,aussies 'collectivly' etc racism is race... its not only color.

My comments were not designed to generalise the entire aussie population. I SHOULD have phrased it - no wonder she's so popular with them - it came out wrong. Proof comes from how i said - The Aussie crowd, as opposed to Aussies. Please don't generalise yourself. Why pick out 'WS' fans as though we'd all react the same.

I think the behavious of the aussie crowd was just disgusting from what i read - and clearly what i wrote was misinterpreted.

I'm no racist - I HAVE AUSSIE FRIENDS lol. j/k

Marshmallow
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Further - i also don't appreciate how you're creating an US and THEM between WS fans, and belgians, russians etc fans. I can see you're upset, by why explicitly target african-americans and WS fans? There are other ways to prove a point.

bionic71
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Poor behaviour is poor behaviour....regardless of country of origin.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:50 AM
My comments were not designed to generalise the entire aussie population. I SHOULD have phrased it - no wonder she's so popular with them - it came out wrong. Proof comes from how i said - The Aussie crowd, as opposed to Aussies. Please don't generalise yourself. Why pick out 'WS' fans as though we'd all react the same.

I think the behavious of the aussie crowd was just disgusting from what i read - and clearly what i wrote was misinterpreted.

I'm no racist - I HAVE AUSSIE FRIENDS lol. j/k

Welcome to the Ignorant-Biased-Emotional-Driven-phobic WTAWorld.

Don't relaly know if you know what the Belgians made Rwanda do...

But basically you have to choose Hutus or Tutsis... Each way you will be a hero and an enemy. It is a shame people can be so ignorant.

WIMBLY2004
Aug 30th, 2005, 04:05 AM

So true :worship:

pcrtennis
Aug 30th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Pratt hugged them??? wow...she's classy...

pcrtennis
Aug 30th, 2005, 04:52 AM
She didn't even WIN the match...it was a retirement...

Ceecor
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:09 AM

U were caught racial stirring..and not for the 1st time.

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Don't make generalisations bout us Aussies, it's prob just a few bogans in the crowd who are probably drunk, trust me that is not like the majority of Aussie people.

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Not sure if it was Nicole who hugged them or otherwise but never mind about it. I just wish Akiko recovery well and be ready for Tokyo after the US Open. Nicole, keep it up and win few more rounds!

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Don't make generalisations bout us Aussies, it's prob just a few bogans in the crowd who are probably drunk, trust me that is not like the majority of Aussie people.
Excatly what I thought :shrug: Just ignore these ignorant, anyway.

selking
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Well I have never met an australian but i have always thought of them as nice people. And I love the aussie open, the fans are so grea there. Theres no way these 15 people will change my mind on the australian people.

Hachiko
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Nicole Pratt has nothing to do with this crowd! :tape:

Uh, she's always got a fan-club whenever she is playing her matches. At Wimbledon this year, the crowd were crazy for her. I really don't know why she's so much more popular than other Australian players.

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Some Aussie fanatics are like that, but you can't do anything about it. It pisses me off how all these Australian's think that Australia is the centre of the world :rolleyes:

I feel so sorry for poor Akiko, i really hope she recovers quickly :awww: :sad: :bigcry: :hug: It's like a repeat of Anabel Medina Garrigues at the Australian Open against Seles.

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:38 AM

she's not used to fans :rolleyes:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:43 AM
she's not used to fans :rolleyes:
Reeeeow!! :haha:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Nah zippy....Its not just this thread ,its all over...........actually i think there are very few racists here..
just a lot of weak little cowards that hide in safty here and use racial slurs against some races as a form of abuse or hide them in j/ks..... BUT hide behind the race card when it comes to others.

:worship:

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Fitness freak Nicole Pratt slammed tennis's "10-minute heat rule" as a farce after moving into the second round of the US Open when her Japanese opponent Akiko Morigami retired mid-match amid dramatic scenes.

Pratt's match was locked at one set apiece when a tearful Morigami was forced to quit after suffering severe cramps to her legs and hands.

In a sad sight that did little to promote the image of the game, the 25-year-old stubbornly attempted to play on for more than a quarter of an hour before finally surrendering and mouthing the words "I can't play" to the chair umpire.

There had been a strong case for the chair umpire, Tamara Vrhovec of Croatia, or another tournament official for that matter, to tell Morigami that indeed she shouldn't be allowed to play any longer.

After taking a medical timeout for treatment while trailing 2-0 in the second set, Morigami called for the trainer again after falling behind 3-0.

By the time it was 5-0 to Pratt, Morigami was crying, struggling to breathe and declining to drink - which was worsening her cramps - as the trainer urged her to stop for fear that continuing may endanger her heart.

Astonishingly, though, the Japanese player limped back on court but could barely walk or serve as she dropped her serve to love and promptly sought the 10-minute break permitted under the WTA's rules before the deciding set.

She had won the draining first set that lasted almost an hour and a half 7-0 in a tiebreak.

It was muggy and hot and both players were bothered, with Pratt furious with herself for showing the compassion to hit the ball straight back to her ailing rival.

The Queenslander branded the rule "absolutely ridiculous".

"That's why we train the way we do. To have a 10-minute break after the second set so someone can regroup, freshen up, I'm dead against that rule," Pratt said.

"Tennis is about being professional and being able to play three straight sets." :rolleyes:

Pratt first sensed Morigami was in trouble early in the second set.

"All of a sudden, out of the blue, I could see, physically, she was struggling," she said.

"It's a really difficult situation. Towards the end there, I felt she should have stopped. I mean, if you are not going to run to a ball, you should stop."

"So I had mixed feelings. Obviously, I wanted to win the match but, in keeping with the professionalism of tennis, I don't think that (Morigami playing on) is the right thing to do out on the court."

When Morigami finally agreed to quit her distress became so great she began to hyperventilate and needed a wheelchair to take her from the court and an intravenous drip.

"This is the first time I've seen this in many, many years," long-time commentator Fred Stolle said on Channel Nine.

It was the second time in three weeks Morigami had to retire mid-match, having also quit in the second set against compatriot Ai Sugiyama in San Diego, and the world No.47 said she would have tests on Wednesday to try to determine the problem.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Pratt-slams-heat-rule-as-opponent-wilts/2005/08/30/1125302553290.html

Nicole talks as if she is the world number one :tape:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:48 AM
[QUOTE=pcrtennis]Australian is a race? Hmmmmmm...new to me...

Yes..they are part of the HUMAN RACE.

Dan23
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Geez poor behaviour that...didnt think we were that intent on getting Pratty into the 2R

Obviously only a small minority group of Aussie fans..

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Uh, she's always got a fan-club whenever she is playing her matches. At Wimbledon this year, the crowd were crazy for her. I really don't know why she's so much more popular than other Australian players.
Blame it to azza not Nicole Pratt :wavey:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Blame it to azza not Nicole Pratt :wavey:

:spit:

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Some Aussie fanatics are like that, but you can't do anything about it. It pisses me off how all these Australian's think that Australia is the centre of the world :rolleyes:

I feel so sorry for poor Akiko, i really hope she recovers quickly :awww: :sad: :bigcry: :hug: It's like a repeat of Anabel Medina Garrigues at the Australian Open against Seles.
Think Australia is the centre of the world? What was that fuck supposed to mean? Are you telling me that the Henman Hill, too, is the centre of the world when they cheering Tim Henman at Wimbledon, no?

It's nothing compared to Anabel Medina Garrigues situation... Morigami cramps her body cause by the heat and Medina Garrigues fell down with her ankle spasm. That's the difference, you see?

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Nicole talks as if she is the world number one :tape:
Well, it's her own entitle opinion as a professional tennis player and it's nothing wrong with it. I mean, Shaui Peng talks about making the final at the Open and does that make her the world number one, no?

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:03 AM
:spit:
Glad you find it's funny :D Thanks for good repped me :kiss: I'll do the same to you now :)

Lady
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:08 AM
But WHY she kept on playing??
She had no chance to win, she was in horrible pain, and she could make it worse (what indeed happened). :eek:

I hope she recovers well.

Sunny_Boy
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:09 AM
excuse me, just because a couple of aussies were cheering a bit overboard dont go calling all aussies brainless, ok?
aussies are such fair crowds

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Think Australia is the centre of the world? What was that fuck supposed to mean? Are you telling me that the Henman Hill, too, is the centre of the world when they cheering Tim Henman at Wimbledon, no?

It's nothing compared to Anabel Medina Garrigues situation... Morigami cramps her body cause by the heat and Medina Garrigues fell down with her ankle spasm. That's the difference, you see?

Yeah, they do. Take a look at the news this morning. On Channel Nine we get Nicole Pratt's result, and that's it. Nothing about the defending champion going out. On channel 7 we get nothing about the US Open at all. I didn't mention Henman Hill at all, but when i watch British news they actually show a wider variety of results (tennis wise) and don't only focus on the Brits as much as the Australians focus on the Aussies. It is similar to the Medina Garrigues incident, just because the injuries are different, doesn't mean that it's not similar because both were dramatic.

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:29 AM
But WHY she kept on playing??
She had no chance to win, she was in horrible pain, and she could make it worse (what indeed happened). :eek:

I hope she recovers well.

I don't blame her for continuing on. Yes, it was hardly beneficial for her body but it is the US Open against a player she could easily beat. She strikes me as a very determined player. I don't think she wanted to lose in the first round of the Us Open to Nicole Pratt either :lol: That's what I think anyway. :o

DomenicDemaria
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Well, it's her own entitle opinion as a professional tennis player and it's nothing wrong with it. I mean, Shaui Peng talks about making the final at the Open and does that make her the world number one, no?

Exactly! Shai Peng talked about making the final and she lost in the first round to a qualifier.

It has nothing to do with being No. 1. Nikki was giving her opinion and I agree with her. The 10 minute rule is time for the player who lost the second set to regroup. Nikki does have fans. Why is she not allowed her opinion? She might not be the best player but she is still allowed to give her view of the match.

I agree with Ceecor. Leave Aussie's alone. Just becoz a few were like this does not mean we all are like that. And the person who said us Aussie think they are the centre of the world should get a life. Who give a fuck about what they show on the news? What is the point of showing players from other countries when most Australians want to know how our aussies are going.

It is so tragic about Akiko. Someone getting wheeled in a wheelchair is never good. Hopeefully she recorvers.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:43 AM
I don't blame her for continuing on. Yes, it was hardly beneficial for her body but it is the US Open against a player she could easily beat. She strikes me as a very determined player. I don't think she wanted to lose in the first round of the Us Open to Nicole Pratt either :lol: That's what I think anyway. :o

yeah thats why Nikki has a winning record against Morigami. That now takes it to 3-0 Pratt

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:47 AM
yeah thats why Nikki has a winning record against Morigami. That now takes it to 3-0 Pratt you fuck head.

i'm not a fuck head :confused: of course Pratt has fans. You obviously have no idea what sarcasm is :rolleyes: Pratt's been around a hell of a lot longer than Morigami.

And the person who said us Aussie think they are the centre of the world should get a life. Who give a fuck about what they show on the news?

I care what they show on the news because I like to know what's happening at the Us Open. Some people here do act as if Australia is the centre of the world, I know from experience and I do have a life thanks.

What is the point of showing players from other countries when most Australians want to know how our aussies are going.

Obviously most Australians want to know how our aussies are going but I think it's worth a mention that the defending champion is out first round.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Sorry bout the fuck head I'll edit my post it was just a spur of the moment thing :lol:

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:50 AM
It has nothing to do with being No. 1. Nikki was giving her opinion and I agree with her.

Your right, she is entitled to her opinion. But so am I. :kiss: And you are too.

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Sorry bout the fuck head I'll edit my post it was just a spur of the moment thing :lol:

It's ok, Nicole Pratt just brings out the worst in me. :tape: :lol: At the Australian Open this year, she managed to frame a ball and it hit me on my face and she saw but didn't apologise, and then at Wimbledon this year I saw her and she looked at me and then looked straight back at the court and served a double fault :lol: I don't think we mix :)

Sunny_Boy
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:53 AM
if morigami cant handle the heat thats her own problem, i saw the coverage of her in the wheelchair and i felt sorry for her but she's a pro player, the heat shouldnt have so much affect on her

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Obviously most Australians want to know how our aussies are going but I think it's worth a mention that the defending champion is out first round.
Well, lemme see... who knows Svetlana Kuznetsova in Australia? :) There you go! We don't give a crap about Kuznetsova and that's probably why news doesn't mention it :p

DomenicDemaria
Your right, she is entitled to her opinion. But so am I. :kiss:

That's cool! We are all entilted to our own opinions and I don't agree with yours :lol: So have you moved to Ausralia or are you just visiting? You prroperly relised not much tennis is shown, but for good tennis highlights watch SBS at 7:00 pm. It's a sports program that show tennis and will properly give the best highlights :)

SpikeyAidanm
Pratt's result was the only one I heard on Nova radio today too lol. I was like damn my UNPAW.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Well, lemme see... who knows Svetlana Kuznetsova in Australia? :) There you go! We don't give a crap about Kuznetsova and that's probably why news doesn't mention it :p

True :lol: People in Australia only care bout mens tennis and only the big women playes (Williams, Sharapova etc.)
But they did show Myskina losing at the french (much to my horror)

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:57 AM

I'll tell you why nobody here knows about Svetlana Kuznetsova, and that's because she's never mentioned in the first place! :haha:

That's cool! We are all entilted to our own opinions and I don't agree with yours So have you moved to Ausralia or are you just visiting? You prroperly relised not much tennis is shown, but for good tennis highlights watch SBS at 7:00 pm. It's a sports program that show tennis and will properly give the best highlights

:lol: yeah :) I have been living in Australia since I was 5 so i've been living here for 10 years. Yeah I will watch SBS Highlights but it's just disappointing that no channels are showing any coverage until the QF's.

Sunny_Boy
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:58 AM
i watched sunrise and only heard bout nikki's result

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Pratt's result was the only one I heard on Nova radio today too lol. I was like damn my UNPAW.

Yeah I had the same reaction :lol:

DomenicDemaria
:lol: yeah :) I have been living in Australia since I was 5 so i've been living here for 10 years. Yeah I will watch SBS Highlights but it's just disappointing that no channels are showing any coverage until the QF's.

Yer Im so pissed, I used to wake up at 1 am and watch the US and somethings in the morning they used to show some matches.

Sunny_Boy
anyways go nikki, she has a winnable 2nd round match

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM
True :lol: People in Australia only care bout mens tennis and only the big women playes (Williams, Sharapova etc.)
But they did show Myskina losing at the french (much to my horror)
Yeah, I remember they doesn't mention about Sharapova reached #1 yet last Saturday or it was Sunday on Sports Tonight named Davenport as Player of the Day for winning the title in New Haven with regains #1 once again! :lol:

DomenicDemaria
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:01 AM
i watched sunrise and only heard bout nikki's result

I didn't see it on Sunrise! The fox gave nikkis and Luczaks result. They also said that "world no. 1 Maria Sharapova won" :lol: Shows how much they know!

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Yeah I will watch SBS Highlights but it's just disappointing that no channels are showing any coverage until the QF's.
Let me guess you don't have have Foxtel/Austar/Optus at home? They have live coverage from 1am for the full two weeks :)

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:03 AM
I didn't see it on Sunrise! The fox gave nikkis and Luczaks result. They also said that "world no. 1 Maria Sharapova won" :lol: Shows how much they know!

:haha:

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Let me guess you don't have have Foxtel/Austar/Optus at home? They have live coverage from 1am for the full two weeks :)
Not all of us live in paradise.

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:05 AM

No i don't because i wouldn't have time, with school. But if it was on free to air T.V i could record it and watch it later lol.

Sunny_Boy
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:05 AM
was alicia's match shown on optus coz as i left for school they were showing luczak?

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Not all of us live in paradise.
I just ask a question, dude :p

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:08 AM
No i don't because i wouldn't have time, with school. But if it was on free to air T.V i could record it and watch it later lol.
OK, fair enough ;)

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:09 AM
was alicia's match shown on optus coz as i left for school they were showing luczak?
Yes, they show Molik on Fox Sports LIVE at around 8am :)

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Sorry, I reread the question and realised what question you really asked :lol: No, I didn't see Luczak's but it could earlier than 8am? :shrug:

Sunny_Boy
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:11 AM
are you serious? damn, i left for school at 7.35am

Sunny_Boy
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:13 AM
no, your answer was right, i phrased the question wrong!

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:15 AM
OK :lol:

DomenicDemaria
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Funny this thread has changed from a Akiko Morigami thread to an Aussie thread :lol:

Channel 10 news mentioned something bout the US. Hopefully they show some good highlights. It wouldnt suprise me if they forget bout Svetlana :lol:

Sunny_Boy
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:22 AM
very true dom, lol

Sunny_Boy
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:23 AM
so does anyone think nikki can beat granville?

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Funny this thread has changed from a Akiko Morigami thread to an Aussie thread :lol:
I know! :haha:

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:25 AM
so does anyone think nikki can beat granville?
Don't think she has a chance but I would surprise if she wins! ;)

DomenicDemaria
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:29 AM
It's ok, Nicole Pratt just brings out the worst in me. :tape: :lol: At the Australian Open this year, she managed to frame a ball and it hit me on my face and she saw but didn't apologise, and then at Wimbledon this year I saw her and she looked at me and then looked straight back at the court and served a double fault :lol: I don't think we mix :)

Nikki brings the best out of everyone :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a bitch. Trust nikki to frame a ball. Was it her "new and improved" backhand? :lol: :lol:

DomenicDemaria
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:29 AM
I give her a chance!

DomenicDemaria
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Nikki 1-6, 6-4, 7-5 (granville will properly break her ankle at the start of the 3rd set and it would take nikki 12 games to finish it still :lol:

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Nikki brings the best out of everyone :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a bitch. Trust nikki to frame a ball. Was it her "new and improved" backhand? :lol: :lol:

:lol: Yeah it was one of her better shots ;)

I predict Granville 62 62

Ceecor
Aug 30th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Australian is a race? Hmmmmmm...new to me...

The United Nations uses a definition of racist discrimination, laid out in the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination and adopted in 1965:

"any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life."
OR NATIONAL, australia is a nation.

Also keep checking the Grammer and spelling ,youll get one right eventually. Its good to have a smart Arse swat to do proof reading.

Prizeidiot
Aug 30th, 2005, 08:00 AM
We're those fans the Fanatics?

Because they ARE a bunch of idiots... I'm Australian and they shit me

And yes, obviously those generalisations about Australians are not welcome. And there is no reason to hack out on our Open, it's a great tournament.

ampers&
Aug 30th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Those Australian fans are absolute morons.
Poor Akiko :sad:

silverwhite
Aug 30th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Akiko :sad: She was having a great summer too...

DevilishAttitude
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:02 AM
:rolleyes: @ you lot about the crowd. Every crowd of people have a classless streak including the Asians. Remember Safina vs Zheng as the AO.

Of course there gonna cheer Nicole to death. She's from there country. If Akiko couldn't stand the heat *Which she seems she couldn't do on court or with the crowd :tape:* That's her problem.

Nicole is a feisty player who isn't scared of saying what she thinks. She's a typical Australian.

She should win against Granville and I hope she's supported just as loudly again. :)

Hayato
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:34 AM
:rolleyes: @ you lot about the crowd. Every crowd of people have a classless streak including the Asians. Remember Safina vs Zheng as the AO.

Of course there gonna cheer Nicole to death. She's from there country. If Akiko couldn't stand the heat *Which she seems she couldn't do on court or with the crowd :tape:* That's her problem.

Nicole is a feisty player who isn't scared of saying what she thinks. She's a typical Australian.

She should win against Granville and I hope she's supported just as loudly again. :)

for once i actually agree with you :bolt: :lol: :kiss:

Marshmallow
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:30 AM
U were caught racial stirring..and not for the 1st time.

.... this isn't funny at all. When was the other time? What did i say - and please provide a quote.

Renaissance
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM
I am shocked by some comments in this thread... :rolleyes:

People who use generalizations and standardized images are stupid.

The moderator should sweep some posts here :o

Lemonskin.
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Excellent post.

Dexter
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Poor Akiko :sad:

Monica_Rules
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
The oz crowd was so annoying.

And in the Molik match too but the americans retaliated in that!

Also who said the aussies could steal the welsh chant of Ogi ogi ogi oi oi oi and change it to aussie aussie aussie.

I think NOT!

kabuki
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM
1) Fuck the Aussies

:secret: One of those is a race and nationality, and the other is just a nationality. :o

kabuki
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM
The United Nations uses a definition of racist discrimination, laid out in the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination and adopted in 1965:

"any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life."
OR NATIONAL, australia is a nation.

Also keep checking the Grammer and spelling ,youll get one right eventually. Its good to have a smart Arse swat to do proof reading.

This dense language is used to ensure inclusion of all cases, in other words to close all loopholes.

Despite your copy and paste, Australian is a nationality, not a race. :D

Veritas
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:45 PM
The ones who were screaming incessantly were most likely yobbos - classless, AFL, VB-drinking sports "fans".

It reminds me of that guy who kept yelling out "druggie" and "go home" to Korda during his match against Todd Martin at the 1999 Australian Open (just after his drug scandal hit the front page of almost every newspapers). Or the "Fanatics" at the Davis Cup match against Argentina in June.

But please note that they're a small part of the Aussie community as a whole. I find the Australian crowd generally to be a lot less controversial than the Roland Garros bunch. At least they don't boo (unless provoked) or target certain players.

It's unfortunate this injury came just after Akiko's had a great few weeks. She's a tough girl and will get over this minor incident :)

Veritas
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:54 PM
if morigami cant handle the heat thats her own problem, i saw the coverage of her in the wheelchair and i felt sorry for her but she's a pro player, the heat shouldnt have so much affect on her

:rolleyes:

If the heat "shouldn't" be a problem for professional tennis players, then I wonder why many top players make an issue out of it and heat rules have been established at many tournaments around the world.

alibaby
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM
urgh - this thread is turning into argument.

I want sympathy for Akiko people! now start sympathising!
i understand,what you mean.but some "love" to make a big "country-thing" out of it!sad but true...

but for akiko,this is really hard.she had such a great season!but what amazed me:you wrote,5 minute passed,before the medic staff got to her??thats pretty long.IMO,at such a big tourney,there should be competent people,who can judge that correctly.i hope too,she feels better now.

Fantastic
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I could tell Akiko what was wrong with her. She didn't have enough sodium in her body, causing her to lose a lot of fluid. She needed more electrolyte drinks and to eat a banana for potassium and sustained energy before the match. Magnesium tablets will also help. Michael Chang and Patrick Rafter both champion these tablets after suffering similar but less severe cases of cramping. Due to Akiko's knee problems, she was probably also favouring one side of her body over the other, causing that half extra undue stress and forcing it to work harder than it normally would. With those muscles working overtime, it made them more "tired" and the cramp was due to exhaustion of the muscle. It bled, basically. Her later cramping was due to tetany, paralyzing her with cramp from the neck down. I can only imagine that she was in complete agony and will be sore for a few days.

Those Aussie cheering for Nicole were NOT part of the Fanatics. The Fanatics are lead by a guy affectionately called "Wazza" and they are sponsored by Tennis Australia. There's no way "Wazza" would ever allow the Fanatics to cheer like that for or against a player. If he did, the first thing Tennis Australia would do is take away his sponsorship. Unlike those guys, "Wazza" is a sports enthusiast who knows the rules and etiquette of tennis. Those particular Aussie fans were most likely drunk and knew nothing or next to little about tennis or its etiquette. It's also called immaturity.

alibaby
Aug 31st, 2005, 12:22 PM
I could tell Akiko what was wrong with her. She didn't have enough sodium in her body, causing her to lose a lot of fluid. She needed more electrolyte drinks and to eat a banana for potassium and sustained energy before the match. Magnesium tablets will also help. Michael Chang and Patrick Rafter both champion these tablets after suffering similar but less severe cases of cramping. Due to Akiko's knee problems, she was probably also favouring one side of her body over the other, causing that half extra undue stress and forcing it to work harder than it normally would. With those muscles working overtime, it made them more "tired" and the cramp was due to exhaustion of the muscle. It bled, basically. Her later cramping was due to tetany, paralyzing her with cramp from the neck down. I can only imagine that she was in complete agony and will be sore for a few days.

Those Aussie cheering for Nicole were NOT part of the Fanatics. The Fanatics are lead by a guy affectionately called "Wazza" and they are sponsored by Tennis Australia. There's no way "Wazza" would ever allow the Fanatics to cheer like that for or against a player. If he did, the first thing Tennis Australia would do is take away his sponsorship. Unlike those guys, "Wazza" is a sports enthusiast who knows the rules and etiquette of tennis. Those particular Aussie fans were most likely drunk and knew nothing or next to little about tennis or its etiquette. It's also called immaturity.
thank you for that medical report!very interesting.and on the other theme:IMO,we should give these people not more room than they deserve here.so for me,the matter is closed.