PDA

View Full Version : (10) V. Williams Def. Fujiwara 6-3, 6-1

lizchris
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Nice win for Venus:) . She started out show, but cleaned up her game after she held for 3-3 and broke for a 4-3 lead in the first set. I think she struggled in the beginning because she probably never played her opponent before.

CJ07
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:26 PM
wow Venus nice recovery from 2-3 down

ezekiel
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:26 PM
This thread will be moved by the mods :worship: but go Vee

RenaSlam.
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:27 PM
She looked great out there!

She will be very tough to beat in Flushing, she owns here.

davidmario
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Well done, Vee!

~Cherry*Blossom~
A very good win for Venus and a fun match to watch!

Congrats Venus :yeah:

davidmario
Nice stats.

SelesFan70
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:29 PM
:)

venusfan
She played really well.. though I wish Venus could do something with those zits on her face. With $5 and a trip to the $.99 store I'm sure to find something to fix Venus face.

bmxbandit
She needs to pop those 2 huge zits on her left cheek. Good lord.

But awesome stuff from Venus :)

kiwifan
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I only caught the last set but Venus played great in it. :yeah:

I like Fujiwara's return of serve. That short bunting motion. :cool:

-Kieron-
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Well done Vee. ;)

grmbl
Venus.. :bounce:

Well done.

LucasArg
Great match Venus!!!:worship:

A very slow start, but then it was brilliant tennis, I can only expect her getting better with each match.

Wish you the best luck Vee!!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

PS Serena looked great from the stands!:kiss:

Volcana
Fujiwara just didn't have the tools to challenge Venus. Great commitment and fight though. Nice hands at net too.

lizchris
She looked great out there!

She will be very tough to beat in Flushing, she owns here.

I agree.

When she gets her serves in, some of them are almost ureturnable (at leat they were today). She played great at net and her forehand didn't break down like it used to. In addition, her second serve has become more of a weapon. If these things hold up, I see her in the semifinals.

StarDuvallGrant
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Well one way to look at the pimples is that at least her game doesn't need defending and the pimples are the bigger story :shrug:

vwfan
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:32 PM
ok. good. opening round jitters done. next round; next opponent. stay focus Venus.

thelittlestelf
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Venus played REALLY well out there today, she had a really great comeback after being down 2-3 in the first and really handled Fujiwara's play style well. Not to mention I really like her outfit :hearts:.

Great job today, Vee! Good luck next tournament Fujiwara.

tennisbum79
Very well balanced second set. Venus palyed an all-court game
Astute baseline, good defensive and offensive net game with very well thought out valley as well as good passing shot from all side of the court

-VSR-
Everyone has acne though, its a part of life.

Wimbledon_VIP
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Reverse of the match score Serena had earlier:).

40-0
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:35 PM
venus played good, at first a little rusty, her game was good in the right times. I love her move, specially on the run with those passing backhands, really the best shots! Seriously a 1st Round match, venus sure will pick up her level!! :) now Maria Kirilikenko on second Round! Im so lucky to get to see venus,sveta, gaston, nadal on first day!

-VSR-
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:36 PM
I liked her outfit too.

spartanfan
Good job Venus!!

lizchris
Re. Venus' acne. It is hereditary and if she was using a great skin care line (like Serious Skin Care), the problem would go away.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:40 PM
She really cleaned up in the 2nd set.

Avid Merrion
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:41 PM
:woohoo: well done Venus! :D

darrinbaker00
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Before her next match, Venus should call the All-England club and ask them to FedEx her first serve to her..... :tape:

Couver
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I love the colour of her dress :) She was very aggresive, especially in the 2nd set which I liked.

Volcana
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Before she plays her sister, Vee needs to call the All-England Club and ask if they have her first serve in their Lost and Found..... :tape:I'm not that worried about it. If Venus is smart, when she plays Serena she'll go for placement over velocity as she did the last three rounds at Wimbledon.

new-york
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:46 PM
cooly hot box. now the 2nd round.

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I love the colour of her dress :) She was very aggresive, especially in the 2nd set which I liked.

I thought she was much more agressive in the first set, but when she realized that it was not always effective, she made an adjustment to go to
controlled-agressiveness and controlled power

40-0
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Before her next match, Venus should call the All-England club and ask them to FedEx her first serve to her..... :tape:

:o it wasnt like, that bad! :lol:

vw.
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Great match Vee! :D

Cariaoke
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:49 PM
3 faves in the 2nd round. :dance:

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:54 PM

I am a little concerned about that, but not too much
I am confident Venus would make the adjustment in due time. Why? Because the rest of her game seems to be in place, so she can concentrate on the serve.
I am not sure her first serve percentage was that high in early rounds of Wimledon

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:59 PM
she looked fucking hot in the purple dress. purple so hot right now...

Haute
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:01 PM
It was a good match for Vee. A little rocky in the first set, but she picked it up after 3-3 in the first and she rolled from there. :) She had some great shots today that were just :eek:; like the crosscourt winner she made on the dead run to the net. :worship:

Although her first serve percentages were down, she used her second serve smartly to get herself out of trouble. :) Unlike earlier this year, it's clear that she's considering her placement a lot more and not just hoping that her serve will go in.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I am a little concerned about that, but not too much
I am confident Venus would make the adjustment in due time. Why? Because the rest of her game seems to be in place, so she can concentrate on the serve.
I am not sure her first serve percentage was that high in early rounds of Wimledon

She had very higher 1st serve % at Wimbledon. I think it stayed about 70% until the semis.

Sportfan
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Venus played well and showed good hands at net. She said it was a little windy and it affected her toss so I expect she will get used to it and her first serve percentage will raise. It was a solid first round and her outfit was beautiful so were her necklaces.

darrinbaker00
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:10 PM
:o it wasnt like, that bad! :lol:
She served at 54 percent today (26-48). Her average for her seven matches at Wimbledon was 72 percent (363-505), and her worst serving match was the second round (53-80, 66 percent). Granted, this was her first match in a month, but she served like the pre-Wimbledon Venus. I never want to see any part of the pre-Wimbledon Venus again as long as I live.

darrinbaker00
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Venus played well and showed good hands at net. She said it was a little windy and it affected her toss so I expect she will get used to it and her first serve percentage will raise. It was a solid first round and her outfit was beautiful so were her necklaces.
She wore JEWELRY???
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Denise4925
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Way to go, your Majesty :worship: I can't wait to get home to see both matches. :woohoo: :woohoo: Now, on to the second round. Let's go Vee...keep it up.

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:20 PM
She had very higher 1st serve % at Wimbledon. I think it stayed about 70% until the semis.

OK. I concede you the point.
The hope is she will improve it fast because the rest of her game does not have the same amount of deficit she started with at Wimbledon.
Besides we are at the US Open(more motivated here), she is the latest grand slam winner, and comes in here with tons of confidence.
Hopefully Richard is here with them

pcrtennis
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Nice going Venus! Glad to see her on court again!

I thought Rika played very well in the first set...a few missed opportunuties but competed well..I think she impressed some people! Great playing, didn't see the second though...

Keep up the hard work Rika!

TAKE THE TITLE VENUS!

raquel
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Well done Venus :woohoo: I never saw it but sounds like she played well. Good start :)

volta
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:58 PM
:woohoo: :banana: :yeah:

bring it home V :worship:

Veritas
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Not surprised by the scoreline. Venus' game probably has everything that Rika's got and more.

Infiniti2001
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I can't wait to watch whatever is on my dvr . Go Vee :bounce: :bounce:

ampers&
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:54 PM
:woohoo::bounce:
Good job, Venus! :bowdown::drool:

Paneru
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Very solid opening for Venus! :cool:

Once she got a hold on her toss and started moving
she was on, her srve was overpowering, her strokes to net
were solid, she came to the net 18 times winning 11 of he points,
18 winners to 15 errors, just overall solid.

The 1st serve will pick-up from 54% as she
did say the wind was a factor on her toss.

Got 119MPH on her serve today.

Loved the dress color and the jewelry.
Her hair was a bit jacked but alright. ;)

Also liked her on-court interview.

Go Venus! :cool:

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Not surprised by the scoreline. Venus' game probably has everything that Rika's got and more.

She is still in the refinement phase and I think she will get there soon.
Here is wat I saw today:

Controlled agression and controlled power
Quick Adjustement
All-court game including

Fine net game measured volleys, placement oriented passing shots instead of raw power, quick reaction at net, good anticipation, condifent and fluid defensive lob

Good fluidity in all movement around the court.
Area of imprvement:
First Serve

Denise4925
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Very solid opening for Venus! :cool:

Once she got a hold on her toss and started moving
she was on, her srve was overpowering, her strokes to net
were solid, she came to the net 18 times winning 11 of he points,
18 winners to 15 errors, just overall solid.

The 1st serve will pick-up from 54% as she
did say the wind was a factor on her toss.

Got 119MPH on her serve today.

Loved the dress color and the jewelry.
Her hair was a bit jacked but alright. ;)

Also liked her on-court interview.

Go Venus! :cool:

Everything Kabuke said ^^^^ :worship:

Denise4925
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:20 AM
I really think if Serena doesn't step it up, when she gets to the fourth round, she's going to be toast against Vee. Even though the scoreline was similar, there was a stark difference in play to me.

thelittlestelf
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:03 AM
She served at 54 percent today (26-48). Her average for her seven matches at Wimbledon was 72 percent (363-505), and her worst serving match was the second round (53-80, 66 percent). Granted, this was her first match in a month, but she served like the pre-Wimbledon Venus. I never want to see any part of the pre-Wimbledon Venus again as long as I live.Her serve looked fine to me :confused:. It wasn't great but it can't be at its best every day.

I was very impressed with her passing shots/aggressive play and most of all her CONFIDENCE! :)

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:27 AM
I really think if Serena doesn't step it up, when she gets to the fourth round, she's going to be toast against Vee. Even though the scoreline was similar, there was a stark difference in play to me.

Yeah, Serena definitely needs to step it up. Venus is looking too solid, and this is only the 1r...Venus definitely knows how to go up a notch in the 2nd week.

moon
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Yeah, Serena definitely needs to step it up. Venus is looking too solid, and this is only the 1r...Venus definitely knows how to go up a notch in the 2nd week.

Yeah, that was what was so impressive to me. Vee usually looks a little off during the first match. But she looked really sharp to me, plus this was the first time she played Fujiwara, and it was the first round (when she usually looks a little dodgy). This says to me that the rest of the field should be :unsure:.
Hope she keeps it up. :)

Andy.
Aug 30th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Well done Venus on a nice start to the tournament

Sevenseas
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Well done, Venus! Good luck for the next rounds! :D

TomTennis
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:41 AM
It was a good solid opening from Vee. Lets just take it one match at a time like at Wimby and we'll be fine.

Onto the second round!>.....