tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Having good exchange at the net.
Lobbing
Passing
Volleying

cartmancop
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I agree, she's really been coming in and finishing points off well today. Also her passing shots, have looked good. Her forehand has been pretty solid too:)

RenaSlam.
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:25 PM
She looks great...I'm very scared for Rena if they meet...

Venus would crush her at this point...

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:26 PM
I agree, she's really been coming in and finishing points off well today. Also her passing shots, have looked good. Her forehand has been pretty solid too:)

The passing shot have improved the most.
She thinks more where to giude/hit them, going for placement instead of power
Also very fluid mobilty, instead of jerky movement

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:28 PM

Venus is taking it one match at time.
However I feel your pain if they were to meet.:D

StarDuvallGrant
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Felt more comfortable with things after she got her serving under control. That truthfully was the only thing that concerned me early on. Winning definitely puts an extra glow into you and Venus has that all throughout much of what she is doing. I was impressed with her keeping the net play, I liked that a lot and some of her passing shots/forehand as it's been noted were beautiful.

LucasArg
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Yes, she did a great job at the net, and she will improve it with each match, she is really focused.

GO VENUS!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Volcana
I was shocked to see an offensive lob from Venus. Pleased. Very pleased, actually, but you know she's relaxed when she willing to that.

40-0
venus played good, at first a little rusty, her game was good in the right times. I love her move, specially on the run with those passing backhands, really the best shots! Seriously a 1st Round match, venus sure will pick up her level!! :) now Maria Kirilikenko on second Round! Im so lucky to get to see venus,sveta, gaston, nadal on first day!

Jericho
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:36 PM
you know that vee is super confident when she starts lobbing ;) :p

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:43 PM
you know that vee is super confident when she starts lobbing ;) :p
Very good point. And she looks relaxed and confident doing it too. She used to execute the lob with a high degree of uncertainity.
It looks like she has decided to perfect some of the little weapons we always thought she had but never used effectively

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Yes, she did a great job at the net, and she will improve it with each match, she is really focused.

Agreed. She is on the right track

CJ07
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Venus hit an offensive lob!?

Damn.

volta
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:22 PM
omg i missed this :fiery:

an offensive Lob :eek: :woohoo:

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Venus hit an offensive lob!?

Damn.
And a damn good one too! With fluidity in her motion and no nervousness as the ball left her racket

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Venus was looking soooo good in this match from about 3-3 in the first set. People aren't really mentioning Venus as a favorite, so danger to the field. Look what happened at Wimbledon.

Veenut
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Venus was looking soooo good in this match from about 3-3 in the first set. People aren't really mentioning Venus as a favorite, so danger to the field. Look what happened at Wimbledon.

I rather like it like that as the victories are much sweeter!!!

Knizzle
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:21 AM

Serena played good, it'd be close just basing on first round form.

Stamp Paid
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Venus lobbed? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Whats next, a slice?! :eek:

tennisbum79
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Is she plays with the kind of control she had at the net today in the second set, it would be more difficult to attack her net game. She has had keen court awareness today which was nice to see.

Haute
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Don't forget serve and volleying a few times. ;)

Marshmallow
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:02 AM
That Fujiwara was tough. Both Chan and Fujiwara were just fearless and had no respect (good quality i guess). I had trouble wanting after all the breaks of serve in the first set lol - but from what i saw from highlights - Venus was playing VERY well. I haven't ever seen her lob. And that backhand pass ....

I'm loving how she's looking. I have a little more confidence in her ability to win this slam.

In a program earlier - she wasn't even mentioned as a contender!!!

Marshmallow
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Oh and Good post!!! :P

K-Dog
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Serena played good, it'd be close just basing on first round form.

Serena played okay when the ball was hit right to her. When she had to move, she wasn't nearly was effective as Venus was today. Not to mention that Venus' shots are a lot harder than Chan's are. If Serena can continue to build confidence and form, she will make it a good match. If she doesn't improve from today's performance, then you can write Venus' name in the quarterfinals. Venus was moving well, 1st serve could've been better, but second serve was good, groundstokes were penetrating, she moved forward A TON today, and she looks more confident on the court. Serena's tantrums are a little uncalled for because she really wasn't under any threat by a player ranked in the 200's with no grand slam match play. Serena to her credit was more fluid on the ground strokes today, served pretty well, hit very hard when she wanted to, and moved okay for Serena when she needed to. The fourth round is a far way away and Venus has a more difficult road to it than Serena (Venus has Kirilenko and probably Daniela), while Serena's road is not that challenging at all with Peng losing. I hope that Serena and Venus play a good match, but I think that Venus' confidence and fitness will win in the end.

Volcana
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Venus lobbed? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Whats next, a slice?! :eek:That's crazy talk. Let's not get carried away. It's only ONE offensive lob.

tennisbum79
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Don't forget serve and volleying a few times. ;)
That is a new dimension I think she had decided to add, though it needs a little more work.
She actually started doing this during the match against Kim at Standford. At the time I thought she was doing it just to end the point quickly because of fatigue . In any case, she seems to have decided to incorpoate it in her game as part of the arsenal of new weapons.
Most positive areas today:
Court awareness
Controlled-power and placement volley rather than power
Controlled-power and placement passing shots rather than power
Fluid movement in transition
NO foot fault
Sensible adjustment in the first set (switched from all power to controlled
Agression and opportunistic power)
Attitude on court ( all positive)

Area of Improvement:
First serve percentage (improve placement)
Serve and volley (court awareness, return anticipation, etc..)

azinna
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:41 AM
She was rather sharp today (after 3-3, 1st set), which is strange seeing that it was a 1st round match. This is as good a sign as a Venus fan could want.

tennisbum79
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Vee should take the opprotunity to test out all these new add-ons to her game in the early game of the early round. Just as she did against Fujiwara.
1. Trials and errors
2. Adjustement based on 1 (Venus own game and opponent game)
3. Execution using 2 as roadmap while leaving room for more possible adjustment

Staticbeef
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM

As an eye witness to the net game on Monday, it was a beautiful thing to see, she has that energy of old back, I hate to see the sisters play each other, but I would not write Rena off just yet.

tennisbum79
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM
As an eye witness to the net game on Monday, it was a beautiful thing to see, she has that energy of old back, I hate to see the sisters play each other, but I would not write Rena off just yet.

If Venus continues to play like she in round 1 and Serena makes it to the 4rth round, this could be one of their best match yet. Given the potential contrasting
styles.

Venus playing all-court game and coming to the net, Serena trying to pass her at the net.
Venus drawing Serena at the net and passing her with controlled precision passing shot or lobbing her.
Serena moving Venus side to side and hitting behing her.
I hope it happens, but not sure Serean will make it given her current level of play and fitness levels

Infiniti2001
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Damn tennisbum79 :eek: How many posts do you make per day?:shrug: Tu bahut bak bak karti hai :tape:

tennisbum79
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Damn tennisbum79 :eek: How many posts do you make per day?:shrug: Tu bahut bak bak karti hai :tape:
You have 6,600, I have close to 1,000.
You started in 2001, I started in 2002.

Infiniti2001
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:13 PM
You have 6600, I have close to 1000

4 years worth.You started in 2002, but was MIA, for quite sometime-- be honest :rolleyes:

serenafan08
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Venus looked great. She was willing to try anything out there it seemed like. When she came to the net, it was like a vulture swooping down on its prey - she was unstoppable! If she can keep doing that, she's got a real shot to take this thing.

Serena could provide some trouble in the fourth round though. I don't know who to pick if they wind up playing each other. Obviously Venus is in better form, but we've seen Serena play her way into a Grand Slam and turn up the heat when the pressure is on. I predict that the winner of that match will reach the semifinals because Kim has trouble with both sisters. She's only beaten Serena once in nine matches and isn't much better against Venus.

tennisbum79
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:25 PM
4 years worth.You started in 2002, but was MIA, for quite sometime-- be honest :rolleyes:

So I am catching up. Was very busy. Now I have the summer off and Venus is playing well and about to make a triple-double.
Also English being my second language, I am honing my writing here.

PS: You're still not happy with my argument in the Sania Mirza thread regarding her fight against Infantacide in India?

thelittlestelf
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
I don't know, I've learned to never judge how Serena or Venus are playing by their first round matches---once they move into the later rounds they usually just reach a new level.

tennisbum79
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:34 PM
Venus should continue honing her all-court game like she did the previous round.

What should we be looking for today?

Areas lacking in previous round

First serve: increase percentage and improve placement
Serve and volley: Improve return anticipation and opportunity identification. Not all serves can be followed by a net rush
Areas to continue to hone/improve

Court awareness and anticipation
Favor controlled-power-and-placement volley, rather than power
Favor controlled-power-and-placement passing shots ,rather than power
Fluid movement in transition. Eliminate jerky movement
NO foot fault
Footwork at all time of the match(start, middle, end)
Aggression and opportunistic power (pick time for power)
Positive attitude on court regardless of current score

VRee_Willario
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:49 PM
;) Come On, Venus has even used a -drop shot and lob- combination succesfully a few times,
For example against Capriati in Miami 2001.
I'm Glad she's confident :D

tennisbum79
Aug 31st, 2005, 02:49 PM
;) Come On, Venus has even used a -drop shot and lob- combination succesfully a few times,
For example against Capriati in Miami 2001.
I'm Glad she's confident :D
She may have used in Miami in 2001, but with the same kind of confidence and flair she displayed here. We all hope she can continue on this path of harvesting the wealth of talent we know she has and that has been dormant for too long

davidmario
Aug 31st, 2005, 02:58 PM
Venus used a nice dropshot in Watson Water Challenge 2004 against Sharapova which she won 7-5 6-1.

Maryamator
Aug 31st, 2005, 03:07 PM
i saw venus vs. fujwara really impressive she was volleying and mixing up her game go vee :clap:

tennisbum79
Aug 31st, 2005, 05:20 PM
i saw venus vs. fujwara really impressive she was volleying and mixing up her game go vee :clap:
Hopefully she will continue that today

K-Dog
Aug 31st, 2005, 05:44 PM
yeah, her net game would be best used in today's conditions. the wind is really hard to deal with off the ground today!!

tennisbum79
Aug 31st, 2005, 07:41 PM
Venus should continue honing her all-court game like she did the previous round.

What should we be looking for today?

Areas lacking in previous round

First serve: increase percentage and improve placement
Serve and volley: Improve return anticipation and opportunity identification. Not all serves can be followed by a net rush
Areas to continue to hone/improve

Court awareness and anticipation
Favor controlled-power-and-placement volley, rather than power
Favor controlled-power-and-placement passing shots ,rather than power
Fluid movement in transition. Eliminate jerky movement
NO foot fault
Footwork at all time of the match(start, middle, end)
Aggression and opportunistic power (pick time for power)
Positive attitude on court regardless of current score

She is executing beautifully everything so far
Just the footfault ... but ok

tennisbum79
Aug 31st, 2005, 07:46 PM
No more footfault please Vee

tennisbum79
Aug 31st, 2005, 08:02 PM
Time to start serve-and-volley

davidmario
Aug 31st, 2005, 08:13 PM
amazing passing shots:eek: