PDA

View Full Version : Is Sam Smith p***ed off with Chris Bailey?

baleineau
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Just noticing the interaction between these two on SKY Sports. Sam Smith doesn't seem on particularly good terms with Chris Bailey. Bailey is kinda making little jokes, and there's no smile appearing on Sam's face. Anyone else noticing this, or is it just me?

Pengwin
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:14 PM
1. Why are they on Sky Sports?
2. How can you see their faces?

baleineau
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:24 PM
1. They are there as Analysts in the Studio. Bailey presents, Sam is one of two Analysts (the other is Barry Cowan). I cannot answer the wider existential question, though, of why are they there? Good question. (I do value Sam Smith though).

2. I can see their faces because the cameras in the studio are pointed at them, and it is these images that are being broadcast on Sky Sports. Does that answer your question?

:rolleyes:

Pengwin
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Wow, cranky.

raquel
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Yeah I don't think they get on too well. Chris, Barry and Mark Petchey seem to have this little routine where they make little slights at the women's game and think it's hilarious and I think Sam doesn't like it. I don't blame her either. None of the three of them did much of note on the tour themselves yet they always make digs about the women. Sam speaks the most sense of the lot of them.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:31 PM
everyone is pissed off with Bailey

he seems to be giving 24 hr blowjobs to Murray and Henman :o

TomTennis
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:41 PM
mmm. i dunno when i was watching them they seemed ok.

Sam is nice but i dont think she knows that much about tennis.

AND YES this next comment is because i am a Williams fan, but i really dont think she likes them. Obviously they started speakling about Clijsters as the favourite, then they went onto talking bout Sharapova, Davenport, Momo, Henin, even Pierce for crying out loud, but no mention of Venus or Serena.

Whenever Sam Smith commentates or writes articles (like the one she does in Ace Tennis mag!) she always seems to negative about the sisters.

just thought id make that point.

baleineau
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:50 PM
raquel - i agree with your comments, although Barry Cowan is a bit less aggressive than Petchey and Bailey in attacking women's tennis. i suspect it's because he's not bright enough to make snide comments, and would obviously not be explicit in revealing his prejudices for fear of losing his job.

i also think Sam Smith does know a lot about tennis, although I'd agree that she tends to favour slightly older school tennis, with slices, variety and net-rushing as opposed to pure power/aggression. i think she also likes the jock athletes rather than the girls who model and have perfume lines.

i think she is getting pissed off by the all the digs though - her response seems to be indifference to Bailey and Cowan at the moment, rather than responding in an animated way. LOL

PamShriverRockz
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:27 PM
ARGH Chris Bailey is an idiot!! The guy was rubbish at tennis anyway. And he hates the women's tour :rolleyes:

Dementinator
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:30 PM
thats because Chris Baily is a useless twat ,and sams stuck with the prick in a tv studio for the next 2 weeks..

~Cherry*Blossom~
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Mark Petchy thinks he's the shit because he coached (coaching) Andy Murray!

It too him about 7minutes into the first match to take a dig at womens tennis by saying something about 6-1 6-0 first round matches!

They are all dickheads in my opinion. I can't believe they got two of the most dullest people (Cowan and Bailey) to front a grandslam show :rolleyes: But then again all British male tennis commentators suck, all they do is talk about Roger Federer! (although I like Federer, it gets too much when everyone is constantly licking his ass for about 30 minutes straight :rolleyes: )

V-MAC
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:56 PM
yeah I can't stand Chris Bailey.:mad: But I think Sky Sports use their hot blonde presenter ( with the husky voice ;) ) to present sometimes too but she is usually only there for the highlight show the next day. I did sense a bit of tension between the 3 but I think Sam was just having an off day.

marmite1
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:08 PM
But I think Sky Sports use their hot blonde presenter ( with the husky voice ;) ) to present sometimes too

She is indeed very hot, but i think she usually commentates womens football (could be thinking of someone else?). If its the same person, then they should definitely use her more often :lick:

The Pro
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:58 PM
PLEASE don't tell me that we are stuck with these 3 plebs for the next fortnight. I'm sure Sue wasn't that busy. >:(

I like Sam, she's as dry as a bone but she's smart and will make sure the woman's game isn't neglected.

Cowan is funny in a kind of 'last out of the gene pool' kind of way.

Chris Bailey has this creepy autocue stare thing going on. Though I don't find either of them that bad. But I assume Chris Bailey is straight, yet has anyone noticed how much he goes on about Nadal's body?

Constantly. It's always "Can you believe he's 19" this and "the most incredible biceps" that, and even "He's all man now!" Along with the creepy autocue stare it really makes you wonder....

Lemonskin.
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Chris Bradman is better ;)

Pamela Shriver
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:14 PM
When I first worked with him at the BBC I thought he was the work experience kid, he was so rubbish.

But I like having him around. He kinda makes me look great.

marmite1
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I find sam smith rather irritating.

fifiricci
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:17 PM
PLEASE don't tell me that we are stuck with these 3 plebs for the next fortnight. I'm sure Sue wasn't that busy. >:(

I like Sam, she's as dry as a bone but she's smart and will make sure the woman's game isn't neglected.

Cowan is funny in a kind of 'last out of the gene pool' kind of way.

Chris Bailey has this creepy autocue stare thing going on. Though I don't find either of them that bad. But I assume Chris Bailey is straight, yet has anyone noticed how much he goes on about Nadal's body?

Constantly. It's always "Can you believe he's 19" this and "the most incredible biceps" that, and even "He's all man now!" Along with the creepy autocue stare it really makes you wonder....

:lol: great post!

fifiricci
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:19 PM
thats because Chris Baily is a useless twat ,and sams stuck with the prick in a tv studio for the next 2 weeks..

:lol: :worship:

Snuffkin
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:03 PM
The Sky Sports woman who does the highlights is Georgie Thompson (sp?). She normally does Sky Sports News on weekday afternoons but gets out of that for a fortnight. Or she did do last year.

I hate the Sky team in general. From the studio team right through to the commentary team, they're awful. Bailey's got that woeful impression he's actually funny and smart, when in truth, he's nothing more than an egotistical over-inflated wanker. (Message to Chris - holding match point against Goran is not a career.) Barry Cowan just got lucky in running Sampras close one Wimbledon - otherwise no way would he be considered as an analyst. And Sam Smith, she infuriates me the least. At least she had some minor success - finding herself ranked in the 50s.

The commentary team could get by if not for Bill Threlfall. Quite how he's not been put out to pasture is beyond me. He calls the match before things have happened. As for Mark Petchey, why his proper job of coaching Andy Murray hasn't interfered with his Sky work I can only bemoan.

Back to the original question - I have no idea if Sam has an issue with Chris. If she did, I'd hardly blame her. He's a man who needs a good shoulder barge if ever there was one. ;) Even from a cyborg.

RayRob
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:15 PM
I have noticed this too! i do actually like Sam Smith (who incidently did better on the tour than the other 3 plebs put together!) she often talks sense.....I was suprised that I haven't seen her dry whit appear yet which usually pops out when she's on eurosport and also for her article in ACE mag.

Petchey did my head in when commentating earlier with the 6-0, 6-1 comment he made....what an Ass! Elise should have been quicker out of the blocks commenting on have far supireor the womens Wimbledon final was compared to that of the mens final!.....not to mantion the love, six and love thrashing hewitt had at the AO - at least Lindsay put up a close fight in the first 2 sets of the AO womens final this year.

The blokes on Sky Sports are sexist pillocks - and Cowans exaggerated facial expressions as if he's really excited about what he's saying are really annoying!

I just hope that Sam would just bite back with comments to put the men on the back foot......poor Sam.....she's so much happier on Eurosport even though she probably doesn't get paid nearly as much!

-Rache

Wintermute
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I have to agree with most of the people on here about Chris Bailey. He is rubbish isn't he? :smash: I also hate the way he makes absolutely no attempt to pronounce any of the players' names correctly.

Sam Smith tends to talk in a strange monotone but she often has an interesting point to make and I don't mind her when she commentates on Eurosport.

Barry Cowan. :scratch: Well he seems enthusiastic... erm.

I suppose the problem I have with them is that if you compare them to the people who do Wimbledon for the BBC they've roped in ex-Grand Slam winners; people who've actually been in those winning situations and can compare their own experiences to what you are watching. What has Chris Bailey really achieved in comparison?

TomTennis
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:59 PM
OMG watching them talk about players they are so dry and boring!

SAM - SMILE for god sake! Or do your muscles in your cheeks not work!?

To be honest, i prefer it when the likes of McEnroe, Austin, Shriver, etc (other american commentators) are on because they are fun, ammusing, light hearted, entertaining, and dont constantly re-late every single comment back to Murray or Nadal or Federer! lol.

Lets just hope the tennis is good...(although i must say i like the two commentators that were on today, Elisa something and that other guy, they are good to listen).