PDA

View Full Version : (8) S. Williams Def. Chan 6-1, 6-3

lizchris
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Not a bad match from someone who was supposed to be rusty. I actually thought it would be tighter than this. Having said that, Serena needs to work on her play at the net and not to overhit so much.

Wimbledon_VIP
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Chan:(...good fight tho

LeRoy.
From 1-3 down to 6-3. :D She def. did better than i expected her to

Oneofakind0490
Serena footwork was really sloppy. She will need to work on that.

Vincent
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Good Serena. How was her outfit? :D

Portobello
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Chan she didn't grab her chance when she's leading in 2nd set :o :o
BTW Congrats Serena ;)

azza
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Omg whats the point of this thread? :rolleyes: :retard: top 10 Beats someone ranked what 300? lets post a thread for every match thats a better upset then this :)

SJW
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:02 PM
keep on keeping on Serena :yeah:

Kworb
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Serena played really well. Chan was impressive

ampers&
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:04 PM
First straight set win since defeating Pierce in April.
Good job, Serena.:worship:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Good solid match from Serena, she recovered from the second set wobble really well :yeah:

Good match from Yung-Jan too, she has a bright future :)

Cariaoke
On to the next round, babes. :kiss:

lizchris
Omg whats the point of this thread? :rolleyes: :retard: top 10 Beats someone ranked what 300? lets post a thread for every match thats a better upset then this :)

Apparently it meant something to you or else you wouldn't have wasted your time posting in this thread.

You're just mad that she won, jealous bastard.

volta
very well Rena keep improving and u will get there :yeah: :worship:

*Karen*

To inform everyone about the result.

thelittlestelf
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Serena was hitting the ball very hard in the first set... she hit some obliterating returns. She HAS to stop pushing the ball, though, like she did in the beginning of the second and she also has to improve her footwork which was very sloppy today.

All in all, Serena played fairly well for her comeback match, she should be satisfied with that.

Chen was a lot better than I expected her to be, she has a great backhand. Once she improves her serve I think she could get into the top 100 or even top 50 by the end of next year.

Good job from both!

cellophane
I don't think Serena can afford to play so many loose points...

Hawk
What a tool Barkhan is..Serena's earrings cost more than Chan has made in her career :rolleyes:

Thankfully Serena's like..she's only 16 I didn't have $5000 when I was 16 :lol:

ezekiel
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:07 PM
but why the hell did they boo her?
She was talking about her expensive earing or what and then a shower of boos and her trying to soften the blow. Anybody else seen it ?

serenafan08
Alright Serena! :yeah: Keep it up.

:lol: Did y'all hear Michael Barkan make an ass out of himself in the post-match interview!?? He said that Serena's earings are worth more than Young Jan Chan has made in her career so far!!! :haha: The crowd really got on him for that one! Serena said that she was in Chan's shoes once; she said "When I was 16 I didn't even have $5,000." That was a funny moment though.

Experimentee
Serena :yeah:
Keep improving!

Yung Jan :sad:

Sir Stefwhit
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Nice win!! Moving along one match at a time. The scoreline looked pretty routine. Nice to see her winning matches even with her game not quite "there" yet. She has time to keep getting better and as long as there aren't any health concerns I'm hopeful she can keep it going...

serenafan08
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM
but why the hell did they boo her?
She was talking about her expensive earing or what and then a shower of boos and her trying to soften the blow. Anybody else seen it ?
They were booing Barkan because he was the one that made the comment about Serena's earings being costing more money than Chan has made in her career. The crowd wasn't booing Serena.

Experimentee
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:11 PM

:lol: Did y'all hear Michael Barkan make an ass out of himself in the post-match interview!?? He said that Serena's earings are worth more than Young Jan Chan has made in her career so far!!! :haha: The crowd really got on him for that one! Serena said that she was in Chan's shoes once; she said "When I was 16 I didn't even have $5,000." That was a funny moment though.

Serena :lol:
Nice of her to stand up for YJ :)

Oneofakind0490
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:12 PM
I thought they booed ber after she said "I gotta have bling" But then she corrected it.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:13 PM
They were booing Barkan because he was the one that made the comment about Serena's earings being costing more money than Chan has made in her career. The crowd wasn't booing Serena.

Yeah, that was idiotic of him. Even Serena was like "that wasn't very nice was it?"

skanky~skanketta
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:14 PM
i wonder if the haterz will bring up serena "not crediting"her opponents after that comment.

GO SERENA!!!

jogoss_78
Good match from Serena, great fight.
But she needs to work on her first serves. Many of them hit the baseline when she wanted to serve a little harder. She also needs to work on her FH DTL.
But she will play better wednesday :)

New
Well done Chan!!!:hearts:

As for Serena, keep up the fight!

hablo
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:15 PM

thanks... somehow I didn't quite get why the crowd was booing :yeah:

hablo
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah, that was idiotic of him. Even Serena was like "that wasn't very nice was it?"

that was good she said that!!!

Sir Stefwhit
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Serena being booed at the Open!!... thanks for squashing that rumor before it took off. After initially reading that (I'm at work,) I was like, "What the hell?" Thankfully the Royal Court shed some light, now I'm now like, "cool"...always hated that Barkin dude anyway@!

ampers&
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I thought they booed ber after she said "I gotta have bling" But then she corrected it.
I must have missed that.

Couver
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:21 PM
All in all it was a good match from Serena. I saw her play in Toronto and she was a lot better this time. Her footwork may have been sloppy but at least she had some, and her first serve was at least going in more. A big improvement IMO. Are there things for her to work on? Sure, but you have to start somewhere. Maybe her left leg needs the matches to strengthen it up.

I was very happy when she said she felt no pressure and that she felt a lot like she did in OZ. :)

Zippy
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Babygirl (Serena) will take this 6-3, 6-3
Damnit, I was off be 2 points :banghead:.... but it's OK though, because I'm SO happy :bounce: It went even better than I expected. Well done Rena :) keep it rollin' :D

hablo
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM

that must have been the part I missed !! :lol:

Sir Stefwhit
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM
You fool. Every match Serena wins is cause for celebration whether it's against the 1000th ranked player or the #1 ranked player. This match allows us to get some insight on where she's at with respect to her conditioning and what her form is looking like right now. If we can have a million threads about things that have nothing to do with tennis (beauty polls, best bodies- and so on) we can have threads about Serena's first round at a grand slam.

raquel
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Well done Serena :) She looked a lot fitter than Wimbledon as well which is great.

serenafan08
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Serena being booed at the Open!!... thanks for squashing that rumor before it took off. After initially reading that (I'm at work,) I was like, "What the hell?" Thankfully the Royal Court shed some light, now I'm now like, "cool"...always hated that Barkin dude anyway@!
Stef, you know how the RC rolls. We keep it real - bet on it. Count on us to squash all rumors. :yeah:

ampers&
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I was very happy when she said she felt no pressure and that she felt a lot like she did in OZ. :)
Me too.
She really has no pressure.
No one really expects her to make it into next week.
If she faces Venus, she'll be the underdog.
The same goes for potential matches against Kim, Maria, Justine, and Lindsay. Hell, I think she'd even be an underdog against Pierce and MoMo.
Some people even expected her to lose her 1st round match.
She can just go out there and give it her all.
Let the spotlight shine on someone else. :bounce:

Avid Merrion
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:36 PM
:woohoo: well done Serena! :D

LeRoy.
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:37 PM
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-08-29T164412Z_01_TEN08D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

:)

Maria Croft
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Congrats on the good win Serena :yeah:

bandabou
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Serena looked good to me...much better than at Wimbledon for sure...of course somethings need work, but nice start.

TrixieTrader
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Methinks Rena could actually surprise everyone.

Sir Stefwhit
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Methinks Rena could actually surprise everyone.
This me, loves those kinds of surprises!

LeRoy.
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:47 PM
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-08-29T173758Z_01_TEN14D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

I don't see the earring in this pic :confused:

Denise4925
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:47 PM
:yeah: Way to go baby-girl. Now keep it going. :D I can't wait to get home tonight to see my recordings.

silverwhite
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Serena :D This match was definitely good practice for her.

LucasArg
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Congrats Serena!!! :bounce:

ZAK
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Serena played well, and Chan was suprisingly quite good w/ spirit. Her backhand is impressive

RenaSlam.
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Keep rolling, Serena!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:57 PM
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-08-29T173758Z_01_TEN14D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

I don't see the earring in this pic :confused:

She took them off in the first set.

hotandspicey
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Well done babygirl! One down, six to go!!!:yippee:

Harju.
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Congrats Rena. Great score too. :D

Yung-Jan. All and all, it's a good try ;)

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Good result. Congrat Serena.
Di not see the match, but from what I read, it was better then Wimby. Which is a good start.
Hopefully Serenacan tighten up her net game and footwotk in the next round.

middy
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Apparently it meant something to you or else you wouldn't have wasted your time posting in this thread.

You're just mad that she won, jealous bastard.

:lol: This forum is just too cynical.

Great job Serena http://www.mediablvd.com/forums/images/smiles/applause.gif 1 match at a time, and great fight by Chan :D

Sir Stefwhit
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Add more pics if you have any... love to see more!

Denise4925
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Good result. Congrat Serena.
Di not see the match, but from what I read, it was better then Wimby. Which is a good start.
Hopefully Serenacan tighten up her net game and footwotk in the next round.
:rain:

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:57 PM
she looked very promising to me and looked in MUCH better shape than in wimbledon, got balls back, and had power on her returns. she IS going to be a threat and i knew it.

Denise4925
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:01 PM
she looked very promising to me and looked in MUCH better shape than in wimbledon, got balls back, and had power on her returns. she IS going to be a threat and i knew it.
I can't wait to see the match. :D If what you say is true and I really don't doubt it, I told people that Serena was going to surprise them.

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:02 PM
am glad to hear that, her serve was a little off today, but hell, she looked great, esp compared to toronto:)

-VSR-
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:07 PM
If Serena can win her 2nd Round and 3rd Round match in straights and play good then she could be playing well enough to challenge whoever (Venus?) in the 4th Round.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:14 PM
S. WILLIAMS/Y. Chan

6 1, 6 3

An interview with:

SERENA WILLIAMS

THE MODERATOR: First question for Serena, please.

Q. Is that the way you wanted to start, a relatively quick match?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It was definitely relatively quicker than the other matches I had, so it's a decent one, yes.

Q. How are you feeling? Injuries?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm feeling really good. I'm just I'm not feeling too much pain out there at all.

Q. Is it good to be back?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It is, yeah. There's no better stage than the US Open for me. I definitely love it.

Q. Can you talk some about your serve today and how it's coming along.
SERENA WILLIAMS: I haven't seen the statistics for it, but I don't think I made that many first serves. But it's so much better than I've been hitting in a while and it's definitely going faster and there's definitely a lot more pace. I'm feeling a lot more confident in the serve whereas I'm actually going for bigger serves. So that's cool in a way.
My second serve is back to in the 90s, so that was really cool as well?

Q. And her second serve didn't have much on it, to the point that it seemed to kind of throw you once or twice. Is that fair to say?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It definitely threw me a few times. I was like, "Okay." I actually I don't know, I told my hitting partner to hit me some easy serves. I was like, okay, maybe I should just work on it.
I'm glad I did. The 69 ones kind of threw me off, but other than that, I was able to do a little bit better with that.

Q. What was your reaction when you saw the draw this year?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Oh, you know, I was really, really upset, but I realize I have to focus on my first round, and, you know, hopefully I'll get there and beyond.

Q. Were you laboring at all early in the second set? It looked like you lost focus or got tired?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I didn't get tired at all, I think I just started out flat. Maybe I was thinking about something else. I just was really flat. I knew it. I was like, "Serena, get more pep in your step." Once you got down, I just got a little more footwork. I was just flat for some reason.

Q. When did you take your earrings out?
SERENA WILLIAMS: You know, I don't remember. I think it was in the first set I want to say.

Q. How come?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, one fell, and so I didn't put it on tight enough because I was rushing to go out. So I was hoping it wouldn't fall, but I knew in the back of my mind it would, and it did. I was like, "Okay, I'll just put them on earlier in my next match."

Q. Have you ever worn a pair of earrings like that on the court before?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No. I wore 5 karat diamond earring studs at Wimbledon. That was pretty hot. And here, these are more chandeliery, in style.

Q. Was it a concern when it fell out?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, when it fell out, I was like, let me just I should have put it on better. I was rushing and I forgot about them. I was like, "Okay."

Q. What are the stats on those? What are the karats, dollar sign?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It's 40,000. Earlier this week I was wearing a 33 karat black diamond ring on loan. I had to give it up. But I think I'm going to get it. I was so in love with it. And these are I think they're like 15 karat, or something like that, they're really hot.

Q. Are you going to try to play with the earrings in the next match or is it impractical?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, what happened was I was rushing at the last minute because I forgot to put them on because I was stretching and stuff. I was like, "Oh, my earrings." I'll just put them on earlier, it will be better.

Q. Is wearing the earrings part of being on stage here at the US Open? Is that why you brought something so special for this tournament?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, it was definitely something really special I wanted to do. For me it's the biggest stage. I love playing in New York. I love the US Open. I love the court, I love everything about it. Except sometimes the line calls, but other than that (smiling)...
It's a great place to be at.

Q. Is it still fun for you to play here?
SERENA WILLIAMS: It is. I mean, every time I walk out there on the court, it's different. Sometimes in practice it gets a bit redundant, I must say. It's like, "Okay." But the moment I walk out on the court, whether I'm in Canada, because I was in Canada it doesn't matter what city I'm in, I just feel totally different walking out there and just realizing how much I do love to perform.

Q. You mentioned line calls. There was a certain chair umpire who will not be attending this year. Any thoughts?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I was unaware of it, but I can't say I'm sad (laughing). I can't necessarily say I'm very disappointed.

Q. What did you do between Toronto and here to feel better about your leg?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I just kept strengthening every day. I didn't take a day off. It was really time consuming. That was the number one, two, and three priority for me, was to just keep strengthening my leg. That's what I was able to do.
I just needed a little more time not too much more, but just a little more and I was able to get that.

Q. It seemed like there was negative crowd reaction when you were asked about the earring and bling. Was that unfair?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, the guy said, is it Mike? He just said my bling was more money than the young lady I played. And so, I don't know, maybe they were like I guess New Yorkers are trying to be fair. In all fairness she was only 16, so when I was 16, I think I lost in the first round to Ann Miller 6 1, 6 1. I'll never forget that.

Q. How do you see her performance today?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I think she had a very solid performance. She had a very solid performance. She's really young so she can definitely take this match and build from it.

Q. You mentioned the draw and how upset you were. Can you really put that out of your mind? How do you approach that it could be so soon that you play Venus?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, it definitely could be very soon, but the only way to think about it is, uhm, you know, just play to get there, don't go out before. That's all we can do, you know. There's nothing else I can do except get back to 1 and 2 in the world.

Q. She was probably upset, too. What did you guys say to each other?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I haven't said anything to her about it, actually.

Q. This is the US Open, so obviously stuff happens. Justin Gimelstob recently wrote that in tournaments where there are both the men's and women's circle that... you're smiling already... that the women players have to compete for the most beautiful 1%?
SERENA WILLIAMS: The most beautiful 1%?

Q. Of the creatures on the Earth, men's players, wives and the girlfriends. Is that a silly comment?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I don't understand the comment.

Q. He said in the player lounges, women players who come off court and who are athletes and sweaty have to compete with the girlfriends and wives of the men's players who are extremely attractive.
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, they're always models. The guys like to date models. I'm not competing with nobody out there (smiling). There's no competition that I'm in.

Q. Are you saying you can hold your own, is that what you're saying?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Hey, I'm not in the competition (smiling).

Q. Do you play into a stereotype, his comments?
SERENA WILLIAMS: No, they always date beautiful women, for sure. It's always a model or something. I'm no model.

Q. But you've always been proud of your body?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I'm definitely, you know, excited about my I've always accepted my curves (laughing). There's nothing I can do about it, so I've learned to accept it and live with it. I mean, I read an article in USA Today that was talking about these new ads. Nike had this new campaign. I told my Nike representative, "Why didn't you guys use me for this?" It was a joke, but it was about curvey women. Like I said, I'm not in the competition.

Q. Much has been made about the decibel level of the grunts, especially around the Grand Slam time. Why do you grunt, and how does it change throughout a match?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Uhm, I grunt I don't know. I just, honestly, when I was younger I used to love Monica Seles, she was like my role model. I loved her game. I loved her grunt. So my grunt is kind of like hers a little bit where it's like a double grunt, instead of just like one long one, it's like two of them.
I don't know why I grunt. Grunting actually is a way of breathing. That's how I'm breathing out instead of going... I'm actually grunting to get the air out.

Q. Did you practice it?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Uhm, I don't remember. I don't think so. I don't think so.

Q. Are there times where you think that your work like on the reality show and your interest in movies and fashion, that it actually gets in the way of the tennis playing? Have you found a balance yet?
SERENA WILLIAMS: Uhm, I definitely have found a balance. I've had so many offers in the past to do different movies or, you know, different things, and I always chose tournaments over it. So I definitely and practice over all that stuff.
So it's important to find that balance, and I finally found it.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

LeRoy.
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:17 PM
The two Jackie's . The "Long" one and the short one :lol: watching Serena

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-08-29T191959Z_01_TEN33D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

mentos
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:19 PM
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-08-29T191959Z_01_TEN33D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg
Nice teeth.
*the guys'*:rolleyes:

Veritas
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:22 PM
I think the US Open is where the sisters shine best, not Wimbledon. They've won more grass Slams, but have done consistently better at NYC.

LeRoy.
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:22 PM
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2005-08-29T180029Z_01_TEN15D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

Another one of Serena

crazyroberto6767
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:24 PM
SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm feeling really good. I'm just I'm not feeling too much pain out there at all.

:yeah: hopefully that keeps up. Great interview!

Veritas
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I'm surprised Serena's been more subtle with what she's wearing. I'm no fashion expert, but I think the mix of light and dark colours looks really, really good.

It looks better than the dress Maria showed at a press conference not long ago.

Denise4925
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:27 AM
If Serena can win her 2nd Round and 3rd Round match in straights and play good then she could be playing well enough to challenge whoever (Venus?) in the 4th Round.
I just saw both matches and sadly if Serena doesn't step up her play, i.e. work on her footwork and cut down on the UFE's, she's going to be toast against Venus in the round of 16.

le bon vivant
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Serena :D

Keep fighting and keep the faith in your abilities. Still the best out there!

Denise4925
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:42 AM
I'm surprised Serena's been more subtle with what she's wearing. I'm no fashion expert, but I think the mix of light and dark colours looks really, really good.

It looks better than the dress Maria showed at a press conference not long ago.
Yeah, she said she wanted to be more conservative when she displayed it on the Today Show last week.