PDA

View Full Version : Davenport fires back at Gimbelstob

Andrew..
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Gimelstob, Davenport exchange words

South Florida Sun-Sentinel
NEW YORK -- New York awakened to rain and Justin Gimelstob awakened to his blog on the Sports Illustrated Web site, in which he took a few potshots at the women's tennis tour.

"As dysfunctional as the men's tour is, the women's tour blows it away," wrote Gimelstob, who spent three days at Wimbledon amusing reporters with his opinions. "For example, it's impossible for there to be enough practice courts for men and women to share without some kind of bickering.

"It's insane. They literally would prefer to hit four on a court with their coach than two on a court with another player. They live in Bizarro World. However, one of the benefits of having the women around is the ever-increasing desire for each and every young sassy player trying to outdo or in this case, under-dress the next.

"My prediction: Pretty soon the WTA practice courts and maybe even the match courts will resemble a women's volleyball court, with bikinis being the only logical next step.

". . . But I'd like to recommend to players both female and male . . . if you resemble a beached whale, keep your gear on."

It wasn't long before at least one woman, world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport, was taking a bit of a rip back at Gimelstob.

"I'm always curious what the fascination is about men having to judge women constantly. What they look like. What they wear. Who they hang out with.

". . . And men have this endless fascination with, and Justin especially, about just picking on everything about the body. And so his column was, I thought, a waste of time."

frenchie
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Come on Davy :boxing:

RenaSlam.
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Davvy :lol:

Alenyaa
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Go Linds! I would personally go and pound his ass if I were you! :devil:

DutchieGirl
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:13 PM
:yeah: You tell him Linds! :D

hingis-seles
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM
:lol:

Sharapova's_Boy
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Go Lindsay. :yeah:

VRee_Willario
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:15 PM
:bigclap: :bigclap: :boxing:

king416
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Lindsay always manages to sound eloquent, articulate and yet strangely opinionated in a subtle way. She's awesome :worship:

!<blocparty>!
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Love the thread title.

I think all the women being bitches about practice is great :D Now, we need Patty's views on this blog.

rrfnpump
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Lindsay :worship:
could not say it better!!

Gimbelstob :cuckoo:

tenn_ace
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Lindsay! :hearts: you go, girl! :kiss:

ClaudiaZ-S
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:21 PM
:bigclap: :bigclap:

cellophane
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Do you think she will tell Corina to dump him? ;)

Andrew..
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Do you think she will tell Corina to dump him? ;)
I hope she did that already a year ago.

Ryan
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Go Lindsay, sock it to him!

Cilla
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Woot! I knew Linds would be the 1st to respond :devil:

Spunky83
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Lindz u rock!!! :lol: Let´s the battle begin;)

Experimentee
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Go Lindsay, you tell Gimelknob and all the other sexist bastards out there! :D

Cariaoke
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:34 PM
:bowdown: Lindsay.

that was pretty succinct. classy gal.

ToeTag
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM
"I'm always curious what the fascination is about men having to judge women constantly. What they look like. What they wear. Who they hang out with.". . . And men have this endless fascination with, and Justin especially, about just picking on everything about the body. And so his column was, I thought, a waste of time." Oooo, baby. Game, set, and match!!
Lindsay, you da woman!! :D

Veenut
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Isn't he the same guy who had to get the help of Venus to win 1 or 2 major titles? Maybe he should focus more on how these girls win titles rather than on their bodies. Way to go Lindsay!!! Expose him for the jerk he is. :yeah:

One thing to note, it is usually the insecure underachievers who mouth of the most and loudest because they have very little achievement of their own to talk about. :devil:

Lady
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Just brilliant, Linds! :D

Junex
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM
is Justin G.A.Y.!

cause i know, only a gay person could be that critical about women being (or trying)sexy on court whatever their size is!

Andy T
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Good on Linds for putting Miss Justin ( Just out?) in her place.

Ma'amoiselle Gimmelslob has never finished the year inside the top 75, never cracked the top 60 and I understand that the girl has to do some journalism on the side to pay the rent but she has to realise that such sexist attitudes in a 28 year old in 2005 are grounds for some serious and prolonged therapy.

volta
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:14 PM
:woohoo: go Lindsay :banana:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Very classy Lindsay!! If I was in your position I would be cussing him down for being a poor player and not doing much in his career!!

Cariaoke
Good on Linds for putting Miss Justin ( Just out?) in her place.

Ma'amoiselle Gimmelslob has never finished the year inside the top 75, never cracked the top 60 and I understand that the girl has to do some journalism on the side to pay the rent but she has to realise that such sexist attitudes in a 28 year old in 2005 are grounds for some serious and prolonged therapy.
very interesting...

so you chastise Justin for putting down women yet you refer to Justin as a woman, to mean an insult.

:confused:

vettipooh
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Good for Linds!! I guess that's her way of saying he's talking outta his a**. :lol: Go Lindsay!!!!!!

Kelly
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:19 PM
well said lindsay!!

Andy T
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:19 PM
very interesting...

so you chastise Justin for putting down women yet you refer to Justin as a woman, to mean an insult.

:confused:

You did not understand. You must be straight. Referring to him in the feminine was NOT meant as an insult.

foreva lindsay
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:20 PM
wahey well done Lindsay :yeah:...men :rolleyes:

Cariaoke
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM
You did not understand. You must be straight. Referring to him in the feminine was NOT meant as an insult.
nope, bi actually.

so he's a girl if he's gay... ok, wrong angle. :tape:

Geisha
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Lindsay serves another ace!

Pureracket
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Awesome comeback by LD. Any LD fan who wants a positive rep, holla @ me.

LoveFifteen
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:25 PM
is Justin G.A.Y.!

cause i know, only a gay person could be that critical about women being (or trying)sexy on court whatever their size is!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You are an idiot, my friend.

*roddicksinme*
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:28 PM
wooohooo Go Linds :yeah: you tell whats his name

Sportfan
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:30 PM
WTG Lindsay. I am so sick of the men taking pot shots at the women and her response was perfect.

Junex
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:31 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You are an idiot, my friend.

can you explain why my reply deserve a red dot!
did i post something offensive?

skanky~skanketta
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:34 PM
go lindsay!

Andy T
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM
nope, bi actually.

Not even. Have you never heard gay guys talking together and using the feminine pronoun to talk about men? It may have a political element in that it subverts language/gender conventions, I don't know. It can be used as an antidote to "macho" attitudes but is used equally for other straight and gay men. To most people, it is generally light-hearted.

I have no idea if he's straight, bi or gay. I care even less.

Chill out.

raquel
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Well said Lindsay. The column was meant to be about life on the men's tour yet ended up as nothing more than a load of gossipy cracks at the women's tour. Gimelstob seems to be considered some sort of wacky personality - one of those people John McEnroe would say the game needs more of - but he's just annoying.

alibaby
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Lindsay always manages to sound eloquent, articulate and yet strangely opinionated in a subtle way. She's awesome :worship:
absolutely!shes just a "gentlewoman"!! :worship:

Junex
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:42 PM
nope, bi actually.

that explains everything, you are "bi" so you will always be on a wrong angle when gays speak!

venusfan
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Gimelstob needs to relax.. had it not being for Venus Williams no one would know who he is right now.. actually, not even sure people remember his ass because he always pulls up limp in basically all his matches.

daffodil
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Go Davey!

Leilinha
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Go on Lindsay!
U r the best,sweetie!

Slumpsova
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Lindsay :hearts: :yeah:

Maryamator
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:20 PM
go lindsay u rock :worship:

alfajeffster
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:30 PM
that explains everything, you are "bi" so you will always be on a wrong angle when gays speak!

Not all gay men refer to other gay men as women. There are actually a surprising amount of gay men out there who prefer masculinity, and have no desire to go through life dressed as Tim Curry's Dr. Frankenfurter and referring to themselves as "women" and dishing between themselves with lines like "isn't that just like a man", as if they were anything close to being real women.

Knizzle
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:33 PM
:haha: Lindsay.

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:35 PM
:haha: You tell him how it is Davenport! :worship: She could probobly kick that wimps arse! ;) :p

Rtael
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Not all gay men refer to other gay men as women. There are actually a surprising amount of gay men out there who prefer masculinity, and have no desire to go through life dressed as Tim Curry's Dr. Frankenfurter and referring to themselves as "women" and dishing between themselves with lines like "isn't that just like a man", as if they were anything close to being real women.

:) :worship:

alwayshingis
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:43 PM
can you explain why my reply deserve a red dot!
did i post something offensive?

No, just stupid and annoying.

hablo
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:03 PM
you go girl :yeah::bowdown:

keep speaking out against the B.S. said about women's tour :bounce:

samsung101
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Justin's doing his job, getting the tennis players riled
up, smacking this and that, being a jerk in print, he got
Davenport to hit back. Good!

Justin, try to swat Venus & Serena, I'd like to see how they'd come back and smash you into the ground with words. Or their father.

Justin's career never went anywhere, and without dating
Martina or playing with Venus, he'd really be a nobody.

The guys blog is now daily reading, just to see who and
what he bashes, and who will smack him back.

Although, the clothes thing is true, in my view, don't
wear an Anna outfit, if you don't have the body for it. I hope I don't see any men in that outfit.

lauryn
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Lindsay :yeah:

joaco
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:29 PM
:lol: :rocker: you rock Lindsay!

morningglory
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Lindsay GO!!!! :bounce:

Martian KC
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:07 PM
:d

partbrit
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Good for Lindsay. But every woman in the WTA should have done the same thing.

treufreund
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Lindsay, you rock!!! :D

As far as gay men disrespecting woman (supposedly more than straight men) when it comes to their physique, that is ridiculous. Most gay men, myself included, quite appreciate and respect women. Why do you think so many straight girls and gay men are great friends? :rolleyes:

alfajeffster
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:01 PM
..Why do you think so many straight girls and gay men are great friends? :rolleyes:

Somebody has to teach women about the finer things in life, like interior decorating, fashion, and how to wear their hair...:lol:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:01 PM
His "beached whale" comment was interesting considering he was a little weighty not too long ago. He's ugly anyway

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Lindsay is one of the few WTA women (along with Venus) who have always defended the WTA in a thoughtful, mature manner.

Earlier this year she made a strong argument in favor of pay equity between men and women when the issue was being treated in a dismissive way by some commentators and writers

It is interesting the men players who attacked women tend to do so when their own career is not going well.

Marcelo Rios did it when he was in a slump. Now Justin Gimelstob, who has become a sideshow in the ATP does this to get attention.

The best result at a grand slam ever achieved by Justin Gimelstob was with the help of a woman in 1998 at the Australian and French Open. He and Venus Williams won the mixed double of the 2 events.

On his own he has never come close to repeating that feast in the singles

cheo23
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Go LinDSAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha: :rolls:

serenafan08
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:14 PM
That a girl Linds! Tell 'em!

Beat
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:16 PM
lindsay = smart
justin = not

Nemesis
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Lindsay :hearts: I really begin to like her for her defense of the women in the WTA :yeah:

Gimelstob :rolleyes: pathetic :rolleyes:

Nikki
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Great comeback Lindsay:)

Carmen Mairena
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:33 PM
:worship: :kiss: :worship:

pigam
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:42 PM
r-e-s-p-e-c-t- that is what Lindsay means to me! :yeah:

miranda_lou
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Actually, the best thing Lindsay could have done was totally ignore that fool.:lol: Now, because she responded to what he wrote, even more people will want to read his blog.:sad: Sports Illustrated is probably thrilled because any publicity is good publicity.:rolleyes:

As for Justin . . . he and Corinna are still "good friends" and, I assume, Lindsay and Corinna are still friends. So, Justin and Lindsay can go at it face to face when they socialize together.:tape:

Dawn Marie
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Justin is an asshole. I saw him curse out a lineswomen over a wrong call. He pissed me off so bad. I felt like getting down there and beating his large frame ass.

Justin is a idiot, this guy has no right to talk about these women when all he does is take flying leaps through the air at shots, one would think the troll is performing at a circus. His is an ass who will never win slams he is a worthless piece of shit.

Go Lindsay show em just how well women perform on and on the practice courts. You have CLASS he is an ASS. His words mock his own opinion!

lindsayno1
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Lindsay serves another ace!

so true! lindsays a responsible world no1

Doggy
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Justin is talking big to make up for smaller things....... Go Lindsay Aguilera!!!

Brandon85
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM
good job lindsay.

lindsayno1
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Go Lindsay Aguilera!!!

:haha:

shnit.
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:50 PM
And to think, the two of them were all chummy and hitting partners at Stanford. :lol:

And after they practiced, Dani and Ai took over their court and Justin sat there staring at Daniela for a good minute or two. :scared: Without lookin at the ball Ai and Daniela were hitting. Just staring. :tape:

clementine
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Hm. Gimblestob the Clown or Cousin Vinny the Rapper?

Dumb or Dumber? :scratch:

Nicely done, Lindsay. :D

Mrs. Peel
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I love it when Lindsay hands out smack downs off courst as well!

:haha: "And so his column was, I thought, a waste of time." :haha:

darrinbaker00
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Gimelstob, Davenport exchange words

South Florida Sun-Sentinel
NEW YORK -- New York awakened to rain and Justin Gimelstob awakened to his blog on the Sports Illustrated Web site, in which he took a few potshots at the women's tennis tour.

"As dysfunctional as the men's tour is, the women's tour blows it away," wrote Gimelstob, who spent three days at Wimbledon amusing reporters with his opinions. "For example, it's impossible for there to be enough practice courts for men and women to share without some kind of bickering.

"It's insane. They literally would prefer to hit four on a court with their coach than two on a court with another player. They live in Bizarro World. However, one of the benefits of having the women around is the ever-increasing desire for each and every young sassy player trying to outdo or in this case, under-dress the next.

"My prediction: Pretty soon the WTA practice courts and maybe even the match courts will resemble a women's volleyball court, with bikinis being the only logical next step.

". . . But I'd like to recommend to players both female and male . . . if you resemble a beached whale, keep your gear on."

It wasn't long before at least one woman, world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport, was taking a bit of a rip back at Gimelstob.

"I'm always curious what the fascination is about men having to judge women constantly. What they look like. What they wear. Who they hang out with.

". . . And men have this endless fascination with, and Justin especially, about just picking on everything about the body. And so his column was, I thought, a waste of time."
I'm no relationship expert, but I'm pretty sure that if Corina Morariu hadn't broken up with Gimelstob before he wrote that, she has now.

Junex
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:05 PM
No, just stupid and annoying.

yeah... :rolleyes:

Junex
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:08 PM

I agree with your post 100%

on the other hand , i had to give it to him regarding my reply.
I was just saying being "bi" puts him in a position of not able to see light in the complexities of gay life!

just making something out of nothing really...... :angel:

Andy T
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I agree with your post 100%

on the other hand , i had to give it to him regarding my reply.
I was just saying being "bi" puts him in a position of not able to see light in the complexities of gay life!

just making something out of nothing really...... :angel:

I can't see what the big deal was (over a couple of pronouns!) and it seems to me the whole thing was based on a misunderstanding. Sometimes "humour"/attempts at humour either get lost in the text or are taken far too seriously and when people don't know you they can easily jump to false conclusions, I suppose. Don't worry about it. ;-)

Lindsayfan32
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Justin asked Lindsay to help him edit the blog and she said some of things she said to him she couldn't repeat (the mind blogles on what they were). He asked Lindsay to help as she is a friend of his and she won't take it without returning fire and he got exactally what he wanted and alot more so he should have.

Pureracket
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:52 PM
This seems like the ol' my best-friend's-boyfriend-is-a-jerk type of thing. I've never heard LD talk so personably about another player. I think she REALLY knows Justin, personally and probably calls him a "jerk" to his face.

JenFan75
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Oh yeah Linds :bounce:

Scotso
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Well done Davy!

huh?
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:15 AM
from:http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2145762&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233
the last part makes her response so much better!!! :):) lmao

"Lindsay Davenport, who on Monday regained the world No. 1 ranking, reacted to Gimelstob's comments after he reportedly asked her to edit the blog.

"I'm always curious what the fascination is about men having to judge women constantly. What they look like. What they wear. Who they hang out with. ... And men have this endless fascination with, and Justin especially, about just depicting and picking on everything about the body. And so his column was, I thought, a waste of time."

Final question to Davenport on this subject: "What about Justin's body?"

She replied: "Yeah, really. I asked him if he wanted me to get into that. He said no."

DutchieGirl
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:24 AM

She replied: "Yeah, really. I asked him if he wanted me to get into that. He said no."

:haha: :yeah: Classic! :worship:

LindsayRocks89
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:08 AM
you are amazing Lindsay!

~ The Leopard ~
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:09 AM
very interesting...

:worship:

Meesh
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Lindsay :worship:

bis2806
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Didn't like Lindsay have a picture with Justin Gimelstob ages ago? They played doubles together before didn't they?

Alfie
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:39 AM

Lindsay! :worship: Sending it back at Justin--straight, to the point, with interest and the characteristic Lindsay sting. I love it. :D

RVD
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:44 AM
:haha: :haha: Lindsay, Lindsay, Lindsay... :lol: :worship:
I love it when she punks the guys like that. I remember her doing it to my boy Richard. ;) And you gotta love her spunk and candor.

You can kiss our WTA ass(es) you low achieving metro sexual bastard! :lol:

franny
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Wow, that last line was awesome. Go Lindsay. I'm not a fan, but she is one of the most well-spoken players on tour and she always stands up for what she believes in (like the seeding at Wimbledon, eqaul prize money, and now this).

XaDavK_Kapri
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:09 AM
You go girl :devil:

leokennan
Aug 30th, 2005, 03:53 AM
its really sad for Li Na 2 beat against her in the first round

ceiling_fan
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:06 AM
hehe woot! :worship:

Nikki
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Love it Lindsay:lol:

@m@nd@
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:32 AM
:yeah:well sed lindsay!:bigclap:

Dasha_
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Way to go Linds!!! :bigclap: :woohoo:

NaturalBlues
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:16 AM
:eek: Tell him Lindsay! :lol:

Hachiko
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Lindsay. :yeah:.

TS
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Nice one Lindsay :)

I've always thought Justin was a bit of a pig anyway.

jack daniels
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:35 AM
and the funny thing is, gimelstob is right :silly:

sweet_angel23
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:25 AM
:worship: u go gal

huh?
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:14 PM
OMG...laughing my ASS off at his new colum...:):):)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/justin_gimelstob/08/30/wta.2/index.html

LUIS9
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:33 PM

She is indeed very articulate, you can always gain insight from her comments and perceive her view of things or issues she decides to give her opinion on.

RayRob
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:17 AM
:lol: You go Lindsay!

What I find quite interesting is that this is a guy who was watching Corina's doubles match at wimbledon and over heard two fans talking about how useless Tim Henman is. Justin turned round and had a go at them pretty much saying, that britain is lucky to have Tim Henman and that those fans should shut their mouths.....basically he wasn't polit. I either read that in ACE or the Times newspaper during Wimbledon but i can't remember which.

So my point is, if we can't have a go about tim Henman, then he can't have a go about Women tennis players :p

-Rache

tennisboi
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:24 AM
Well done Lindsay you said it for us.