PDA

View Full Version : Who would you pick to for Russian fed team to take on France with Maria Sharapova?

Wimbledon_VIP
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Fed Cup team selection will be done over Wimbleodn.

Maria is probably going to come out of USO as the number one player in the world again. She has expressed her desire to play for Russia in Fed Cup and she will play fed cup as the top player in the world just like Justine did.

French team is probably going to have Mauresmo and Pierce.
So out of the next 5 highest ranked Russian players who would you pick to be the 2nd singles tie player? Though none of them looks so far as capable of beating Mauresmo, or even Pierce.

Portobello
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Errrrr she wont play,will she???? :confused:
but if she really play,my choice's Nastya :p

@m@nd@
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:38 AM
nastya :devil:

Lady
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Maria won't play

jan.
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Nastya :D

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Maria wont be playing this yr.

Nastya and Lena D, Nadya and Kuznetsova would be my choice.

Fartischev probably picks Safina :) and Douchevina (on clay :help: )

Lady
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Lena & Nastya are locked already! ;)
Tarpishev says he wants Kuznetsova on the team, but it depends on Sveta.

Maryamator
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:32 AM
anastacia myskina ;) and i dont think maria sharapova will play;)

ceiling_fan
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:40 AM
maria's not playing this year but nastya!!!

Elldee
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Maria shouldn't and won't play as the ties on clay. Myskina should definately play after beating Venus in the last tie and then I'd probably pick either Kuznetsova or Dementieva depending on their US Open's.

denine
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:46 AM
nastya. duh! :)

Wimbledon_VIP
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Thanks, I didnt realize Maria wasnt gonna play this year.
But I'm hoping Petrova and Safina would play this time, and if they win against France :angel: .
Without Maria though, it seems that Amelie and Mary are going to dominate in their final against the Russians.

Volcana
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't take Sharapova. Fed Cup and Davis Cup really are about team. That's why lower ranking players beat higher ranking players so often in those tournaments. (well, nationalism plays a big part too.) I'd take Myskina, despite her recent poor play, because she's always come through in Fed Cup for me. And then I'd consult her about the rest of the team. For me, second singles would be Dementieva. Probably take Likhovtseza and Kuznetsova to round out the team, since they both play doubles.

miffedmax
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Lena D. can be Mauresmo.

Ceze
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Lena D. can be Mauresmo.
Only in GS... The H2H is in favor of Amélie... I remember a 6-0 6-0 2 years ago or something like that ;)

hablo
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM
indeed Ceze, I do recall such a score :lol: :)

allez Momo!!

Wimbledon_VIP
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I think that was in Paris or something.

marmite1
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Svetlana!!!

*Karen*
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I think I'd pick Petrova at the moment. Lena D is prone to upsets alot. And I don't think Nastya or Svetlana are at their best right now.

Wimbledon_VIP
Sep 1st, 2005, 07:23 AM
Myskina leads by a large margin, but hard to imagine that she and Maria will want to partner.
It's like Petrova is going to come out on top of the ranking of Russian players below Maria Sharapova.

Almalyk
Sep 1st, 2005, 09:34 AM
Nastya is Fed Cup Queen!

Ceecor
Sep 1st, 2005, 10:11 AM
Myskina, i think her and sharapova, if they had too. would put mother 1st

jan.
Sep 1st, 2005, 10:12 AM
Now that the US Open begun, I would definately not pick Kuznetsova I mean shes a wreck right now and she did lose her 2 single rubbers last year so I'd go for Petrova and maybe Lena D (She doesn't challenge players ranked above her).

schris
Sep 1st, 2005, 10:16 AM
Myskina

LostGlory
Sep 1st, 2005, 10:30 AM
I picked Myskina, although on clay and against Amelie Nadia has the better results....Myskina is a better hard court player regardless of her winning RG last year...