PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic: Evert v. Navratilova 1984 US Open Women's Final

SelesFan70
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Monday, August 29 1pm-3pm on ESPN Classic :banana:

I remember this match, and I know that when Chrissie won the first set, the crowd went wild (as they usually did for Chrissie) and that was the first set she had taken from Martina in a LOOOOOOONG time. If I remember correctly, she had double break point in the second set to go up a set and a break, but Chrissie missed an easy forehand and she just sort of went away. :sad: I can't wait to see it again! :bounce:

vettipooh
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Thanks. I'll be watching, but do you mean Monday the 29th?

arcus
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:38 AM
yup, he does. This match was part of (maybe) the greatest day of grandslam tennis in history.

The legendary and original USOPEN super saturday.

2 classic mens semis and a keeper of a womens match..........

I dont know if this was martina or chris at their very most elegant, but seeing martina refuse to lose serve for the last 2 sets was amazing.

awesome! thanks for the reminder, TIVO set!!!!

SelesFan70
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Thanks. I'll be watching, but do you mean Monday the 29th?

I did...thanks for showing me the error! :wavey: (I changed it, too)

Andy T
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Definitely a great match!

Jakeev
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:55 AM
I wish they would show more of the 85 final with Martina and Mandlikova. That was a spectacular match in itself but every year it's the same old same old.......the 84 Martina/Chris final.

samn
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I wish they would show more of the 85 final with Martina and Mandlikova. That was a spectacular match in itself but every year it's the same old same old.......the 84 Martina/Chris final.

Well, they do show replays of the '86 Martina/Steffi semis quite often. (Damn, so near and yet so far for poor Steff! If only the net had been a couple of inches lower. ;) )