PDA

View Full Version : Debate: Who has the finest serve in women's tennis?

Orion
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Looking through the boards, there are so many different ideas about which player has the best serve. I've heard V. Williams, S. Williams, Petrova, Sharapova, Molik, Groenefeld (?), Stosur, Davenport, Ivanovic, etc. The list goes on and on. But, for all the reading I've done, nobody seems to have a clear answer.

Any suggestions/opinions, and any ideas for how to determine what makes a great server?

LilMashaFan
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Davenport, Ivanovic, and Sharapova.

Ivanovic has some massive power.

Sharapova has good power and placement.

Davenport is he same as sharapova.

LilMashaFan
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:11 AM
A great server needs to have power, placement, veriety.

SzavayFi
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:12 AM
I am not a fan of molik really at all but pretty much the only reason she struck the top ten was her MASSIVE serve. Its definately the best in womans tennis i think :)

cartmancop
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:14 AM
When she was playing well, Serena's was the best by far. Not just the power & placement of her first but her 2nd serve was also extremely good. Lately it hasn't been so great.

I think currently Davenport has the best serve, very powerful but also well placed. Also difficult to attack her 2nd serve.

Fingon
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Davenport, Ivanovic, and Sharapova.

Ivanovic has some massive power.

Sharapova has good power and placement.

Davenport is he same as sharapova.

Ivanovic does not have massive power, she has very good placement and disguise.

Sharapova and Davenport are not that powerful either, like Ivanovic, both place it very well, of course none of the three has a soft serve, but they are not in the Williams / Sprem club.

Paialii
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Serena Williams has the best serve when it's on -- but then again she has about the best /anything/ when she's at her best, but I'm afraid that form has escaped her. Look back at the 01-02 Serena and you'll see a massive and strategic serve that few could handle.

Now I would say it's Lindsay. :)

Fingon
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:38 AM
when she is playing well, Serena, no doubt, perfect motion, good disguise, power, placement, and she can be pretty consistent, in a match against Hingis she did not miss one serve in an entire set :eek: , also her second serve is pretty good.

Maria has an excellent serve, a very smooth motion, very technical, she uses her height and her legs to give it placement, and she serves to the four corners.

Davenport's is very similar (in fact, Maria's serve was modelled after Davenport's), so similar comments for hers.

Ivanovic's serve is pretty good, good placement and disguise and good power (but not massive), she needs a little more variety.

Justine's can be a real weapon, very powerful and goes for the line, but it's sort of predictable and way too inconsistent.

Venus's is powerful, but can be very inconsistent and her second serve is a liability.

Molik's is pretty good, especially her ability to hit a kick serve, a typical Australian serve, but it's NOT the best in women's tennis.

V's a star
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:39 AM
i think Venus has the best 1st serve and the best slice i think. But i like Lindsay's serve. Its like 107 on 1st serve and 94 and second and awesome placement. Maria's is over-rated espically by Marry C. Her 2nd serve goes from 88-97 and her 1st is 103 but she does have a really good wide serve on the ad side

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Best 1st serve is still Serena. 2nd serve is Davenport.

-VSR-
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Best 1st serve Venus. Best 2nd serve Serena/Lindsay.

V's a star
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:46 AM
Serena' 2nd is crap now some of her matches ive seen lately (wimbledon and MIami) she was htting them in the high 60's

Marshmallow
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:49 AM
Sometimes, i've seen Serena serve and just been like WHOA (phrase i don't normally use). If i was her opponent, i wouldn't know if a bomb had just hit. Venus is one of the best returners (if not the best), yet even when her eye is on the ball and she knows where it's going - she can't touch it.

When it's on - OMG!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Best example recently of Serena's serve at her best was at the AO against Mirza in the 3r. She basically served Mirza off the court, with a mix of all kinds of differents serves. No other player has the variety that Serena has with the serve.

LeRoy.
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Serena

Orion
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:34 AM
I've been a believer that Serena can match just about anyone with her service game. Also, Nadia Petrova strikes me as someone with a very nice, classic serve. She hits to three different spots on both sides of the court with power, spin, or kick (depending). It's simple, but highly effective. But, for consistency and skill today, I'd go with Davenport. Serena can get back there, but not just yet.

Venus used to have a brilliant serve, but she changed her motion about 2 1/2 years ago. Anyone know why? It had a Dementieva effect (strong server goes haywire). It still flares up with brilliance now and again, but I remember her rattling off aces like Goran or Joachim.

V's a star
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:40 AM
I've been a believer that Serena can match just about anyone with her service game. Also, Nadia Petrova strikes me as someone with a very nice, classic serve. She hits to three different spots on both sides of the court with power, spin, or kick (depending). It's simple, but highly effective. But, for consistency and skill today, I'd go with Davenport. Serena can get back there, but not just yet.

Venus used to have a brilliant serve, but she changed her motion about 2 1/2 years ago. Anyone know why? It had a Dementieva effect (strong server goes haywire). It still flares up with brilliance now and again, but I remember her rattling off aces like Goran or Joachim.
ya both her feet like used to point @ the bass line bofore like 03 and now their parrelell to the baseline. weird. But i think she has the best slice serve by far

Orion
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Someone told me it was BJK at Fed Cup who asked her to try something new, but I wasn't sure. Anybody corroborate?

V's a star
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Someone told me it was BJK at Fed Cup who asked her to try something new, but I wasn't sure. Anybody corroborate?
damn her then lol!

K-Dog
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:49 AM

Venus has changed her motion to stop double faulting. Her serve from her first match on tour until like 2001ish was basically all arm and very little leg. She hit aces, but her second serve had no spin and was very slow unless she just went for it. Her foot position faced the net more. Now she is parallel with the baseline when she serves. It gives her more spin and more easy mph on her second. This motion also puts less stress on her abs. Venus' serve is heavier now and has more spin now, making it more realiable. She may not be miss ace queen anymore, but she also isn't double fault queen anymore either. I prefer this motion because it is more technically correct and is more realiable. It incorporates her legs and height better than the other motion that was more first serve dominant. She is more even on her first and second serve now.

V's a star
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Well the plan backfired then lol! the second serve is like the exact same speed and the DF :tape:

SoMuchEyeCandy
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva

Hachiko
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:02 AM
In terms of style, Hantuchova & Benesova, in my opinion.

fanfromtoronto
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:11 AM
I think Iroda Tulyaganova is a good server

Gowza
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:12 AM
they need power, placement, variety and good techinque. i'd say molik and stosur and also petrova.

thelittlestelf
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Technically/placement wise, you truly can't beat Lindsay's serve... it's amazing.

If Serena could get her motion back, she really would have the best serve though. It's hit with so much power and placed so well that it's almost impossible to return 8/10 times, not to mention it can be THE best disguised serve on tour.

Molik has a great serve too, and her second serve is REALLY good. I hope she can get back to the level she was at in Australia this year.

Other good servers: Venus (at times she has the best first serve on tour but her second serve can be a weakness), Amelie (It can be shaky sometimes but it's an excellent serve when she's got confidence), Maria (great technique/placement with a lot of consistency), Ivanovic (awesome power), and Petrova (her serve can be inconsistent at times but she gets great power when she's playing well and it can be a huge weapom).

Kim Clijsters has a good serve but it's not a huge weapon in her game, and Justine has a good serve with extraordinary power considering her height but it's not very consistent.

Wimbledon_VIP
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Alicia Molik has a nice serve. I dont remember who said it, but some people speculated that Serena's serves were better than Venus's, but I still prefer Venus's serve over Serena's as Venus can fire the serve with much higher speed that Serena cannot reach.

thelittlestelf
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Alicia Molik has a nice serve. I dont remember who said it, but some people speculated that Serena's serves were better than Venus's, but I still prefer Venus's serve over Serena's as Venus can fire the serve with much higher speed that Serena cannot reach.While I am a die-hard Venus fan, I have to say that Serena's serve is much more technically sound and almost as powerful (she got 126 MPH at Wimbledon last year and Venus's record is 127) as Venus's.

-VSR-
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:38 AM
OMG! I just saw the last game of Serena/Hingis 2001 SF at the USO. 100% first serve in the second set! WTG Serena! I really want that match on tape now!

DomenicDemaria
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Out of all the players I think Alicia has the most variety on her serve and she mixes it up, so it is hard to read. I know at the start of this year it was really good, she served good kickers, good slice serves and good body serves. But unfortunately her infection has effected her serve. Hopefully she can have a good Us Open, but that is unlikely.

@m@nd@
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:43 AM
serena and venus both have a very good 1st serve and maria has a good 2nd serve.
alicia has a nicee serve too

DomenicDemaria
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:44 AM
OMG! I just saw the last game of Serena/Hingis 2001 SF at the USO. 100% first serve in the second set! WTG Serena! I really want that match on tape now!

I dont know if it was a mistake on the website, but last year at the olympics Mary won every single point when her first serve went in against Petrova.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva
Dementieva

:lol: Yeah, her serve is much better than Venus and Serena's serve put together :lol:

-VSR-
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:49 AM
I dont know if it was a mistake on the website, but last year at the olympics Mary won every single point when her first serve went in against Petrova.

Wow nice Mary!!!

Well I never got to see the 2000-2003 days of Venus and Serena so I was happy to finally see it!

ceiling_fan
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Serena Williams , and is best by far when it is "on"

Alicia molik has a great 2nd serve...

sharapova has a good serve but i think it could be a lot better - like tossing the ball with her arm straight

tennisrox
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Alicia,Nadia,Lindsay,and Serena IMO have the best serves in the game.I've heard a lot about Vaidisova's serve,so she could be one to watch.

rhz
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Molik, Henin, Mauresmo, Petrova, Serena, Davenport:

Dasha_
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Serena, and Lindsay,
Ivanovic will have great serve very soon. It is good already, and she just started to work on it...

tony52
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Davenport hands down has the best serve in womens tennis ever.

Sunny_Boy
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:05 AM
alicia's serve is great

LostGlory
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:15 AM
What Makes a good serve is Speed, Accuracy, Length, Power, Smartness and finally landing it in the box....There are a few players with excellent serve in the women's game but non as dominant as some men are in the men's Game ....

At the moment I 'd say Serena ( if fit ), Venus great swing and power....Ana Ivanovic (that girl has so much talent in every area I say she will be the 16th world No. 1 player-such a disguize behind the serve she actually sometimes even fools me), Alicia Wow, last year it was the most powerful serve in the woman's game pretty much the reason for her breaking into the top ten........Davenport especially on hard courts she Aces all serves.....JHH very smart and powerfull considering how short and tiny she is ...

blumaroo
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Serena at her best and Molik can't be topped.
Davenport has good disguise and placement too. Sharapova needs some extra mph. The placement is good but sometimes a lil too weak.

xan
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:54 AM
If we're talking about speed and power:

Ivanovic
Molik
Serena
Venus
Petrova
Pierce

If we're talking about 2nd serves

Sharapova
Serena
Molik

If we're talking about winning percentage off 1st serve

Molik
Pierce
Serena
Davenport

Overall I give MOLIK the overall title.

K-Dog
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Well the plan backfired then lol! the second serve is like the exact same speed and the DF :tape:

Yes, she double faults still, but so does everyone. Her last really bad double faulting day was against Lindsay at Wimbledon. You would have to be blind to not see that Venus has more mph (spin can also takes away mph), and more spin on the serve. Venus' second serve used to be in the mid 70's to low 80's and with not much spin. Now it is at least mid 80's, deeper, and with more spin. Watch the 2002 US Open Women's final on the US Open website and you will see the difference in second serves. Venus' serve now is more technically sound than it was. Her serve may not be 120 all the time, but it is more consistent, she has better control, and her second serve is heavier.

tennisbum79
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:29 PM
First Serves:

Davenport
Venus
Serena
Sharapova
Kim

Second serve:

Davenport
Sharapova
Kim

All Around Servce:

Davenport
Sharapova
Kim
Serena
JHH

Orion
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:15 AM
I just caught a rerun of Molik def. V. Williams, AUS Open 2005. I was amazed at what she did with the ball. It was lightning fast, very accurate, spinny and kicky. I hadn't really paid too much attention to the fact that she fares so well on hard courts. It's a pity she's been out most of this year.