PDA

View Full Version : Justine Henin-Hardenne's U.S Open Chances.

myskinaLova
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:10 AM
I'm curious as to how everyone feels with regard to Justine's chances in NYC. I think she has just about as good of an opportunity as anyone else, she's played fairly steady tennis and she's also the 2nd best "big" match player that's on tour behind Serena. Justine is not afraid to win ugly, remember, she will not throw racquets and throw a temper tantrum simply because she mishits a few balls.

Justine is very good at taking things for what they are worth and keeping a healthy perspective on situations.

1). Lindsay Davenport
2). Justine
3). Serena
4). Kim Clijsters
5). Venus

These are my Top 5 USO Contenders ... input ?

cartmancop
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:17 AM
I would list her as 4th most likely to win it behind Kim, Lindsay, Venus & just ahead of Momo & Sharapova. Mentally I think she has what it takes, I just don't know if she is playing well enough to go through Pierce, Mauresmo, Davenport & either Kim, Maria, or Venus all in a row on a hard court.... I definitely think she CAN but don't think she will. But we'll see, like you said, Justine is not afraid to win ugly & usually finds a way to win even when she's not playing her best.

Mudbone
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:29 AM
I think she has very little chance to win...What i saw in Toronto did not impress...Too many moonballs...She was playing dirtball on a fast hardcourt...Luckily Vaidisova didn't have enough experience to beat her...MoMo is a dirtballer as well..Clijsters just whacked her moonballs and destroyed her...

I don't believe she gets by Mary Pierce in the round of 16...This is not the Henin of 03...Her serve is more erratic now and her strokes are loopier and far less consistent...Henin has only played well on dirt this year...New York is no place to iron out technique issues...Justine simply isn't ready....

V's a star
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:40 AM
I think shes got with final with Venus :)

Doggy
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Justine is a fighter and I will never ever count her out. If she is in a wheel chair, she will still make things interesting. That's just the magic and intensity of Justine. I am spellbound :hearts:

alwayshingis
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Justine has a pretty good draw. She has a fair shot at beating Momo :sad: and then if Lindsay is not fully fit or playing her best...she could be a finalist. I think she is a huge threat in this event as the underdog yet again.

LilMashaFan
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Anybody who says Serena iis in the top 5 contenders may be smoking something. Venus yes, but not serena.

1.Kim Clijsters
2.Lindsay Davenport
3.Maria Sharapova
4.Justine Henin-Hardenne
5.Mary Pierce(as long as she plays like she has been lately)

Fingon
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:27 AM
a lot depends on her health. If she is healthy, the only players I see in her half that could beat her is Davenport.

And a Justine - Davenport match in the semis could go either way, I would say it's 50-50. If Justine raises her level to Indian Wells 2004's level, I would say it's 70-30 for Justine, if Justine plays like she did in Toronto I would say 80-20 Davenport, so a 50-50 is about fair, maybe 55-45 for Davenport.

But if she did get pass Davenport, we know how tough she can be in GS finals.

On the other side, she could face Maria, Kim or Venus (I don't see Serena reaching the final). Obviously I see her with an edge over Kim if they meet in a GS final, she won't have that psychological edge over Venus or Maria, but to her advantage, they are likely to have a much tougher draw to get there.

Even without those advantages, I do think she is capable of beating any of them, and in a GS final it's more a mental game than anything else, the only ones I think have similar mental strenght are Venus and Serena, with Maria a little behind and Kim years light behind.

So yes, she is one of the 4 main contenders IMO, along with Davenport, Venus and Maria.

myskinaLova
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Anybody who says Serena iis in the top 5 contenders may be smoking something. Venus yes, but not serena.

1.Kim Clijsters
2.Lindsay Davenport
3.Maria Sharapova
4.Justine Henin-Hardenne
5.Mary Pierce(as long as she plays like she has been lately)

Serena came to Australia in the same condition she's in now and was a force, she has such will and fight. Venus is not really a force to reckon with, she's too mentally weak, lacks match play and that forehand will start to fly on her ... once again. Sigh. I just cannot see Venus winning, I hope she has success, but I'm a realist.

Great performance from Venus at Wimbledon, but I just can't forget the inconsistency that she's shown over the last 2 years. I do not trust her.

Kim Clijsters has no slams, almost ALWAYS chokes, she should not be mentioned in the Top 3.

Reality:
Serena, Venus, Justine or Lindsay will dismantle Kim if they just happen to meet up with her in this tournament, I wouldn't be suprised even to see Kimmy go down early. This whole winning a GS thing isn't working very well for Kim (bless her heart) ...

rue
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Interesting scenarios in top-heavy drawBy Pam Shriver
ESPN.com

Haven't we seen this before?

Venus and Serena Williams landed in the same section of the U.S. Open draw, setting them up for a possible fourth-round match. It's the same scenario as Wimbledon, except the potential winner could face Kim Clijsters instead of Justine Henin-Hardenne.

That's just the beginning in a very talent-heavy top half of the draw. World No. 1 and top seed Maria Sharapova and defending U.S. Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova also are in the top half.

Lindsay Davenport, Mary Pierce, Henin-Hardenne, Amelie Mauresmo and Elena Dementieva are scattered among the bottom half of the draw, but their paths aren't as difficult.

Either way, the bottom line for any of these players is how they play early and how healthy they stay through the two-week event.

Top half of draw

• Serena has been training better and all seems to be on for the Open. But when she opens as the No. 8 seed against a qualifier, she will not be 100 percent, she'll clearly be out of shape and she won't be match tough. How could she be? She has played in only one match since an early exit at Wimbledon, battling ankle and knee problems. I can't see her winning the Open at this point.

• No. 10 Venus needed more time off than she thought she would after winning Wimbledon. She hasn't played since The Bank of the West a month ago, but regardless of whether she meets Serena in the fourth round, Venus should make it through. Possible matchups to look for: a third-rounder against Daniela Hantuchova (a rematch of their third-round Wimbledon meeting that was a 7-5, 6-4 battle) or a round-of-16 pairing vs. China's Shuai Peng, the only player to beat Clijsters since Wimbledon. China is producing a wave of hard-working, up-and-coming players and we could see a new wave of talent like the Russian players last year.

• The toughest part of Sharapova's draw is her opening match against Eleni Daniilidou, who beat Henin-Hardenne at Wimbledon. There are always a few unseeded players whom you fear in a draw and Daniilidou is one of them. How will Sharapova handle the pressure (the tough opener, entering a major for the first time as both the World No. 1 and top seed)? How serious is that pectoral strain? Sharapova's forehand can be wild if she's not confident, but she is mentally strong. If Sharapova can get past her first-round match, the rest of the draw is favorable for her.

• Defending champ and fifth-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova has been a bit of a mystery since winning last year's Open. Either there was a bit of a letdown after reaching such a pinnacle, or she feels the pressure of the expectations as the U.S. Open champ. Even though she reached the quarterfinals of the Australian Open and Wimbledon, Kuznetsova is not where she was at the end of last year's Open. She'll need to play like the defending champ.

• Fourth-seed Clijsters has been on a roll since her fourth-round exit at Wimbledon. She has won three tournaments since then, including a win over Henin-Hardenne at last week's Rogers Cup. The big factor with the Belgian is whether she'll have the ability to shine during the biggest moment -- playing in a Slam final. She's failed in the past. Unless she hits a wall, she's likely going to get the chance in Flushing Meadows. Plus, as the U.S. Open Series winner, she is playing for double the prize money.

Bottom half of draw

• Henin-Hardenne is the other big favorite to win the Open. Even though she lost to Clijsters last week, she's not afraid of the biggest moments; she embraces them. Opponents fear her toughness. Henin-Hardenne could face an in-form Mary Pierce in the round of 16 and then Mauresmo in the quarters. I don't think either can stop Henin-Hardenne.

• Third-seeded Mauresmo should make it through to the quarterfinals. The one big test from her group could be Germany's Anna-Lena Groenefeld, who recently paired with Martina Navratilova to win the doubles at the Rogers Cup. Groenefeld is a big hitter who's on her game right now. A pairing like that always poses danger for Mauresmo, who has wilted at many a major.

• Dementieva has struggled with expectations since making it to last year's finals at the U.S. and French Opens. Sixth-seeded Dementieva hasn't made it past the fourth round of any 2005 Slam and hasn't won an event this year. She could face No. 11 Patty Schnyder in the round of 16 -- the tricky lefty has given Dementieva some wars on the courts. Of course, Schnyder will have to get past her opener against Conchita Martinez, a veteran who can never be counted out.

• Davenport doesn't have a free pass, but she clearly has the best draw of the Open. She'll take this draw any time. In the past, her game never went away, her health went away, and she's been a contender in all of this year's majors. Davenport had a strong opening match at this week's Pilot Pen, and it's important for her to get that strong first match in at the Open. There could be a possible test there from China's Na Li, but I think Davenport has a clear path to the quarterfinals. I don't see any players getting to her before then unless she's hurt. Davenport is still looking for an elusive fourth major title and would love nothing more than to win it at the Open, where she won her first Slam seven years ago.

ESPN tennis analyst Pam Shriver won 21 singles and 112 doubles crowns, including 22 Grand Slam titles.

moon
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:27 AM
I expect either Lindsay or Justine to come out of the bottom half.
If justine makes it to the final, I think it's anybody's game since I consider her to be a "big match" player.

Ceecor
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Justine Henin-Hardenne's U.S Open Chances. = approx 25%(well latest short quote)

Kim Clijsters
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Maria_sharapova
Lindsay,Davenport
Venus Williams

tennnisfannn
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:07 AM
[QUOTE=myskinaLova]Serena came to Australia in the same condition she's in now and was a force, she has such will and fight. Venus is not really a force to reckon with, she's too mentally weak, lacks match play and that forehand will start to fly on her ... once again. Sigh. I just cannot see Venus winning, I hope she has success, but I'm a realist.

Great performance from Venus at Wimbledon, but I just can't forget the inconsistency that she's shown over the last 2 years. I do not trust her.

QUOTE]
You really need to put all of venus' struggles into perspective, her form did not just drop off, she had severe injuires that stopped her from progressing well.
Remember when lindsay had that knee surgery, it took her almost two years just to win a title, when she got healthy, look at the progress she made.
As for justine's chances, I always give her a chance in whatever tourny se enters.
That she lost that final to Kim does not mean squat, she can drop sets left right and centre in week one and still does not reflect how she will progress at the USO. Dismising her coz of her recent losses is equivalent to thinking peng will win the title coz she beat Kim. Quite frankly I see the same fortune for both her and venus.

Jakeev
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Justine is an amazing fighter, but she proved at Toronto a few weeks ago that she can still get overpowered by the bigger and stronger player.

For awhile, she owned Lindsay and Kim. But those two are playing with more fight and confidence then they have in years.

To me that spells trouble for Justine.

Still, I like her chances better at the Open then I did at Wimbledon, where people where way overrating her chances at that event.

I wouldn't count her out at all.

Fingon
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Justine is an amazing fighter, but she proved at Toronto a few weeks ago that she can still get overpowered by the bigger and stronger player.

Justine didn't get overpowered at all, in fact, Justine was hitting the ball harder than Kim, her problem was that she got drained, she had no energy and Kim was getting everything back.

For awhile, she owned Lindsay and Kim. But those two are playing with more fight and confidence then they have in years.

Lindsay is playing better than she used to, but I am not sure she is playing better than Indian Wells last year, but I agree, Lindsay on hardcourts can be very dangerous.

Kim is nothing different. She's always been a great players and hardcourt is her best surface. She beat Venus in Stanford and that was a great achievement, but then she just beat the players she normally beats, with the exception of Justine but read above.

To me that spells trouble for Justine.

if she is not fit, it does. Lindsay can be trouble, but if she gets pass that, Maria or Venus can be trouble, not Kim, not in a GS final.

Still, I like her chances better at the Open then I did at Wimbledon, where people where way overrating her chances at that event.

I don't, it would be easy for me to say that now that we know she lost in the first round, but the point is, she wasn't 100%. Let's be clear and realistic here, Justine can perfectly well lose to Lindsay, Kim, Maria, Venus or Serena even when she is 100%, but she doesn't lose to Daniilidou, if Justine (or Lindsay, Maria, Serena, Venus, Kim) lose to Daniilidou it's because something is wrong. Yes, I know, give credit when credit is due, only that here credit is NOT due, proof of that is that Daniilidou did nothing after that, if she really was a player capable of beating a top player consistently she would be top 10 now, she isn't even top 50.

I wouldn't count her out at all.
neither would I.

Leo_DFP
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Pierce could beat her here, for once. But I do think it's Davenport or Henin-Hardenne out of the bottom half.

Leo_DFP
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Lindsay is playing better than she used to, but I am not sure she is playing better than Indian Wells last year, but I agree, Lindsay on hardcourts can be very dangerous.

She definitely is playing better. In that Indian Wells match, Lindsay didn't take any risks and didn't hit with any power or depth. She played a bad tactical match. If they are to face the Open in the semis, Davenport will come with guns fully loaded and Henin-Hardenne won't be able to dictate completely like she did in their last hard court match.

Jakeev
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Justine didn't get overpowered at all, in fact, Justine was hitting the ball harder than Kim, her problem was that she got drained, she had no energy and Kim was getting everything back.

Kim is nothing different. She's always been a great players and hardcourt is her best surface. She beat Venus in Stanford and that was a great achievement, but then she just beat the players she normally beats, with the exception of Justine but read above.

if she is not fit, it does. Lindsay can be trouble, but if she gets pass that, Maria or Venus can be trouble, not Kim, not in a GS final.

I don't, it would be easy for me to say that now that we know she lost in the first round, but the point is, she wasn't 100%. Let's be clear and realistic here, Justine can perfectly well lose to Lindsay, Kim, Maria, Venus or Serena even when she is 100%, but she doesn't lose to Daniilidou, if Justine (or Lindsay, Maria, Serena, Venus, Kim) lose to Daniilidou it's because something is wrong. Yes, I know, give credit when credit is due, only that here credit is NOT due, proof of that is that Daniilidou did nothing after that, if she really was a player capable of beating a top player consistently she would be top 10 now, she isn't even top 50.

neither would I.

Well it was because of Justine's fitness that I thought people inflated her chances as the favorite at Wimbledon. Pretty much that is my reason. I just felt she was too tired to win that title and not because she does not have the talent to win on grass.

I don't know if Lindsay was necessarily playing better tennis in the early part of 2004. I think she stepped it up that Summer starting at Wimbledon. In fact, her results in the first part of 04 practically mirrored her appearances in the early part of 05.

But in the 04 IW final, she definitely still had confidence issues against Justine in that final. Much like she did this year against Kim, but we saw what Linds was able to do in their next two matches.

As for the Toronto final I don't agree that Justine was hitting harder, not the match I was watching anyway. Perhaps she did run out of gas, but I really thought Kim stepped it up, kept the ball deep and didn't really allow for the most part to give Justine much of an inch.

I also believe Kim is playing better ball since she got back from her injury. There is a fire and intensity in her game that seemed slightly lacking before she left the tour. Even in her two Slam losses this year, she fought hard against Lindsay although I felt her game collapsed at the French.

But she can still get tired too in matches and that was evident in her losses to Lindsay at the French and Peng at San Diego. ( I frankly think she got beat by Linds at Wimbledon)

mboyle
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Let's see:

Kim Clijsters has been playing the best hardcourt tennis all season. She has beaten literally every other major contender she has faced. Her only loss was against Peng Shuai. However, she has not proven herself in big matches.

Maria Sharapova and Lindsay Davenport are definately going to the semifinals. They have proven themselves to be "banks" for that round week in, week out. If Kim collapses in one of those rounds, Lindsay or Maria will be likely to clean up.

Justine was great on clay, but has not been that impressive on hardcourts. She has not beaten a top US Open contender off of clay (Mauresmo you say? Don't make me laugh...) and has lost handily to two others (Maria, Kim.) Davenport's block this season has been in the finals, not the semi finals, so there is little hope for a collapse from her there. If Lindsay serves well, she should get through to the final.

Venus is actually more of a contender than Justine, but she has a sensationally awful draw. I would still place her ahead of Maria, though behind Lindsay. That means, Kim, Lindsay, Venus, Maria, Justine, IMHO.

casey6
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Why is everyone counting Venus out?
She was painfully exhausted in the Stanford final, hence her withdrawals later on in the summer season. Wimbledon, Fed Cup, WTT, promotional tour for her reality show; Venus is coming to the US Open fresh and determined.

However, Kim Clijsters is the clear favorite. This is her Slam to lose. I honestly believe that whomever wins the Venus/Clijsters showdown in the quarterfinals will win the Championship.

Venus' draw is horrific, indeed. Potentially, Serena, Kim, Sharapova [ although very unlikely she'll make it to the semis ] then Wimbledon rematch against Lindsay. That is 4 of the Top 8 in a row. Rough but if the Champion in Venus arrives, she can do it.

Lindsay has easy ride to Finals to be honest. Justine is not ready, her inconsistency at Toronto [ albeit weather hurt her game ] is an indication of a let down late in the tournament. Mary Pierce is playing her best tennis and I think she'll be able to take Justine out. She shocked Maria last year, she'll shock Justine this year.

Favorites:
1. Kim Clijsters.
T2. Lindsay Davenport.
T2. Venus Williams.
T3. Whoever wants to step it up.

Justine, Sharapova, Mauresmo, and Serena [ not really but who knows with her ] all have shots but from their summer, we can almost count them out. If Venus from Wimbledon shows, title is hers. Healthy Lindsay was only one point away, tide may change at the US. If Kim keeps consistency and strength up, she'll give Venus great fight in quarters, maybe even a win.

Jakeev
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Why is everyone counting Venus out?
She was painfully exhausted in the Stanford final, hence her withdrawals later on in the summer season. Wimbledon, Fed Cup, WTT, promotional tour for her reality show; Venus is coming to the US Open fresh and determined.

However, Kim Clijsters is the clear favorite. This is her Slam to lose. I honestly believe that whomever wins the Venus/Clijsters showdown in the quarterfinals will win the Championship.

Venus' draw is horrific, indeed. Potentially, Serena, Kim, Sharapova [ although very unlikely she'll make it to the semis ] then Wimbledon rematch against Lindsay. That is 4 of the Top 8 in a row. Rough but if the Champion in Venus arrives, she can do it.

Lindsay has easy ride to Finals to be honest. Justine is not ready, her inconsistency at Toronto [ albeit weather hurt her game ] is an indication of a let down late in the tournament. Mary Pierce is playing her best tennis and I think she'll be able to take Justine out. She shocked Maria last year, she'll shock Justine this year.

Favorites:
1. Kim Clijsters.
T2. Lindsay Davenport.
T2. Venus Williams.
T3. Whoever wants to step it up.

Justine, Sharapova, Mauresmo, and Serena [ not really but who knows with her ] all have shots but from their summer, we can almost count them out. If Venus from Wimbledon shows, title is hers. Healthy Lindsay was only one point away, tide may change at the US. If Kim keeps consistency and strength up, she'll give Venus great fight in quarters, maybe even a win.

I don't think anybody is counting out Venus this time around. But as with several other players, it's just not sure how prepared she will be the next two weeks.

Of any player outside Kim though, Venus has got to still be riding on a major high from winning Wimbledon.

I'm just not sure how "fresh and determined" she really is after a rather busy summer that has only seen her play four matches since Wimbledon.

saki
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Heh, the player everyone really is counting out, especially on this board, is Maria. I don't think Maria is the favourite, by any means, but I think she's a contender if she can up her level a bit in the final stages.

I think Justine has a reasonable shot at this title, she always plays better in the big matches so if she can get through to the semis, I think she has an excellent chance at beating Lindsay and I'd certainly bet on her against Kim in the finals and I think it would be a toss-up against Maria/Venus/Serena.