PDA

View Full Version : Svetlana Kuznetsova opens US Open title defence on Armstrong court.

!<blocparty>!
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Serena, Rafa, Venus, Maria and Andre are all on Ashe.

Not really that surprising. I know Wimbledon do this as tradition. Anyone remember the last Ladies champion not to have their opening match on Ashe? :p

AjdeNate!
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Hopefully if/when she wins, they'll keep her out in Court 13/17 area so she's not pressured and can make her way to Ashe on the 2nd Saturday. :D

Rexman
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:38 PM
A little insulting in my view to put the defending champion on anything but center court on the first day.

JenFan75
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Pssshhh. I don't know what you guys are talking about. Lindsay won the USO last year.

>.>
<.<

:sad:

jfk
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Frankly, with the way she's played this year and the little notoriety she has, she's lucky not to be on the Grandstand.

njnetswill
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:04 PM
It makes sense. All 5 of those are HUGE names. Kuznetsova is not.

K-Dog
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah, but Myskina was put on Chatrier and she had a horrible year going into the French. The problem for Sveta is the side of the side of the draw she's on. If she were on the other half, she would have probably played first match of the day on Ashe on Tuesday.

LoveFifteen
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Honestly, it's probably a good thing she won't be on Ashe. Less people to see her be humiliated? :shrug:

pav
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Andre on Ashe? surely this should result in a substantial fine,or even a short prison term for placing on public exhibition anyone who takes steps like that :fiery:

!<blocparty>!
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Andre on Ashe? surely this should result in a substantial fine,or even a short prison term for placing on public exhibition anyone who takes steps like that :fiery:

:o

Spunky83
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:11 PM
A little insulting in my view to put the defending champion on anything but center court on the first day.

Absolutely true in my opinion. Of course she´s not much of a big name but you own it to the still reignign champion. Every other slam works this way, the USO is the only that doesn´t. Definetly not "nice". :o

*Karen*
Aug 28th, 2005, 11:40 PM
The tournement organisers should show the defending champion some respect and put her on Arthur Ashe

tenn_ace
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:06 AM
it's going to rain anyway, so nobody knows who will play where at the end :p

Cris Senior
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Honestly, it's probably a good thing she won't be on Ashe. Less people to see her be humiliated? :shrug:
To the contrary very few do to Ashley until the QF's cause it is an awful, viewer unfriendly stadium .More fans go to Armsrong a more confortable,place.

Scotso
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:14 AM
I don't care whether or not she's famous. And even though I don't like her at all, I still think this is a really crappy move by the schedulers.

TS
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:24 AM
The defending champ should always open up their defence on center court. End of story.

tennisrox
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:50 AM
The tournement organisers should show the defending champion some respect and put her on Arthur Ashe

I know :rolleyes: .The disrespect! :fiery: :mad:

Ceecor
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Absolutely true in my opinion. Of course she´s not much of a big name but you own it to the still reignign champion. Every other slam works this way, the USO is the only that doesn´t. Definetly not "nice". :o
Its a bit rah rah USA!

Andy T
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I also think this decision is poor form. It says a lot about the US open as compared to RG & Wimbledon that celebrity deprives the defending champion of the honour of starting her title defence on the main court. By that I don't want to take anything away from S & V, who are both current major holders and ofrmer winnners at Flushing Meadow. I really do feel that the defending champ earns the right to play the first match on the main show court.

Portobello
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Pffffft i'm not Kuzzy fan
but I really dont like that,they shud give Kuzzy some respect at least take her on Center Court on 1st day :( :o :o
hahah poor Kuzzy,she's reigning champ but not on US promote poster n not on Center Court on openning day :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lady
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:56 AM
I actually quite understand their decision. Although I think for the 1st day they could switch her with, let's say Venus for a day match on Center.
Venus for sure is gonna be around for quite a while. ;)

Task
Aug 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Add me to the irritated list.

Everthing else is irrevelant, Svetlana is the defending champ.

She ought to be playing on the Ashe stadium.

Experimentee
Aug 29th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah I think they should put the defending champion on the main court. Its like they've forgetten she won last year. The only reason she didnt get as much publicity is because she isnt as good looking as the others anyway, and she shouldnt be disrespected just because of that.

Helen Lawson
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I think it's insulting. It would be like having last year's Best Actress Oscar winner presenting a technical award the next year.

Portobello
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I think it's insulting. It would be like having last year's Best Actress Oscar winner presenting a technical award the next year.
Yup,totally agreed :lol: :lol: :lol:

alibaby
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:51 PM
wow,again a wonderful example how arrogant many americans are!!3 posts,3 disrespecting opinions!!coincidence??no,surely not!! :o

its true,that she has not shown enough this year to be reckoned as a real force,but that makes no reason to "bath her in insulting" sarcasm""!!unbelievable....