PDA

View Full Version : The One Movie you Can't Live without...and Why?

Foot_Fault
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:32 PM
So...If you knew you were going to die tomorrow....and on your list was to see your favorite movie...what would it be. ONLY ONE.

I think above all others for me it would be "Lady Sings the Blues" starring Diana Ross and Billie Dee Williams(1973).

Why: This movie emotionally moves me all over the board. Good acting, Good Music, I laugh, I cry, I'm sad, I am happy. I go through triumph, and defeat. All around, I can't get enough of it....it's the ultimate Love Story too. This movie is the one i would want to watch before i died.
http://media.bestprices.com/content/vhs/60/105661.jpg

http://www.manbijthond.nl/__userupload/clubupload/20965/fotogallery/LadySingstheBlues_300x298.jpg
http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/photosearch/Previews/CIN01008_247.jpg
http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/photosearch/Previews/PLX050864.jpg
http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/photosearch/Previews/CIN01008_248.jpg
http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/images/lowrez/tdie1018.jpg

V-MAC
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Mine would easily be Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation. I just watched this movie for the 8th time the other night and I NEVER tire of it. Just love it so much.It is like a tonic for me:eek:, when ever I'm feeling a bit down, I put it on and I feel instantly happy after watching it:lol: I think the on-screen chemistry between Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray is one of the best I have ever seen.

SJW
Aug 28th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Dirty Dancing.
because im geigh. i love dancing movies.

AjdeNate!
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Showgirls.

Gina Gershon + lotsa titties + Vegas = hot.

Brαm
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:52 PM
"Lost in translation" would be my 'last resort' if I had poor sleep :o

I couldn't pick one film, btw.

controlfreak
Aug 28th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Good Will Hunting always hooks me in pretty deep. I have trouble turning that one off if I accidentally watch the start. That and Boogie Nights.

Kart
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I think above all others for me it would be "Lady Sings the Blues" starring Diana Ross and Billie Dee Williams(1973).

Good choice of film although I haven't seen it for years.

Nicjac
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Steel Magnolias

Hilariously funny and thoughtful at the same time. About hope and - diminished hope. About life and how to get on if life screwed you once again. The funniest movie ever to make you you cry. Great talent - in screenwriting, directing, editing, cutting, and acting. And Sam is in it, that helps, too ;)

Close second choice - Ordinary People.

!<blocparty>!
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:10 PM
The Shawshank Redemption
Hotel Rwanda
Million Dollar Baby

I don't want to say why.

Wiggly
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Legally Blonde (with Reese Witherspoon) :hearts:
Red Eye

and I'm sure "Domino" will be one of them :)

propi
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:19 PM
It would be Magnolia or Gods and monsters... great cast and even greater performances :worship:

Mercury Rising
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:21 PM
It would be Magnolia or Gods and monsters... great cast and even greater performances :worship:
I saw Propi posted and just knew it would be Magnolia ;)
I haven't seen Gods and monsters :eek: will i like it when I loved Magnolia?

To answer the question, euhh I don't need movies to stay alive :D

~Cherry*Blossom~
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Beaches
Made in America
Kill Bill
Soul Plane
The First Wives Club

JenFan75
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Magnolia...simply because it's brilliant.

Ghost World- Because...I don't know. I just absolutely love this movie. It's so funny...yet sad.

Evita- Best musical ever.

propi
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I saw Propi posted and just knew it would be Magnolia ;)
I haven't seen Gods and monsters :eek: will i like it when I loved Magnolia?

To answer the question, euhh I don't need movies to stay alive :D
I'm easily predictable when it comes to cinema :angel:
Gods and Monsters is one of the best films you can ever see :worship: it's about James Whale's life, the director of terror films such as Bride of Frankenstein, etc.
The cast is one of the best I've ever seen, Ian McKellen makes a perfect work, even Brendan Frasier (who plays Whale's gardener) is fantastic in a drala role :)
But the best of all was Lynn Redgrave as Whale's maid... :worship:

Mitzi
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Breakfast at Tiffany's :) Because of everything.

roxi
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Splender in the grass!!!! Love that movie!!!!
American beauty !!!!!!!
What love got to do with it!!!!!
Thelma and Louise!!!!
And many , many , many more

Kart
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Close second choice - Ordinary People.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

This would be my first choice I think.

decemberlove
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:29 PM
2001 or some other Kubrick film. I can't choose just one.

GBFH
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:32 PM
not a big movie person...

...but it's probably 'airplane.' love comedies.

Mercury Rising
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:36 PM
not a big movie person...

...but it's probably 'airplane.' love comedies.
Bought it yesterday on DVD :D . I still have to see it.

GBFH
Aug 28th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Bought it yesterday on DVD :D . I still have to see it.

i've watched airplane more than 30 times...and i find something new with each subsequent viewing.

hope you enjoy it!

GantchaWowwa
Aug 28th, 2005, 08:20 PM
The Rocky Horror Picture Show, because it's a brilliant and funny movie and because Susan Sarandon is very cute

Foot_Fault
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Most of you are Coping Out...choose JUST ONE..more than one is too Easy.

Foot_Fault
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Good choice of film although I haven't seen it for years.

Thank you, my absolute all time Fave....I must admit...I watch it probably 2 to 3 times a month. It get's me through the year.

I am also surprised no one said The Color Purple yet...

spiceboy
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Muriel's Wedding

GREAT acting
GREAT music
GREAT drama
GREAT humour
GREAT bitching
GREAT guys
GREAT end

...what else could you ask for?

tommyk75
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:40 PM
A small indie movie called "Gas Food Lodging" with an amazing performance from Fairuza Balk...

skanky~skanketta
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:03 PM
it's a tamil movie (called dont steal my heart)

it's about this young guy who is dying of leukemia. anyway, he goes off to a place so his mom wont have to see him die and there he meets this free spirited young woman who's also dying cuz she has a hole in her heart. anyway, she's pretty open about her disease and is prepared for death and basically just wants to enjoy life to the fullest. anyway, they fall in love (duhh) and he keeps his illness a secret from her. however, she finds out.

the one scene that always has me just sobbing my guts out is when he's at the train station sending his mom off (she comes for a visit). priya (the girl) comes and sees him and starts yelling at him about how he could keep such a thing from her.

Priya: why did you do this? how dare you keep this a secret from me!why didn;t you tell me you're dying?
Dev: what's the big deal? you're the one who told me that everyone's going to die someday!i mean, the station guard, that bird, me....why talk abt my disease?
Priya: i cant see you anymore. just go.
Dev: what? why? no, why? cuz i'm sick?
Priya: yeah, that's it. cuz you're sick. i hate sick people.
Dev: wtf? that's ridiculous? that doesn't change the person that i am.
Priya: well it changes me.
Dev: why
Priya: it just does
Dev: why???
Priya: cuz i cant take it!
Dev: cuz i will die? (remember all this time they're boht yelling)
Priya: yes, ok, cuz you will die!
Dev: but you're gonna die too.
Priya: that's just it. your life if more important to me *breaks down* ok. i cant live each day knowing you're going to die. ok, cuz it hurts too much.

*waaahhh* and that would me bawling.

kammgretel
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Any movie cast by Leslie Nielsen

Like: The Naked Gun 2 1/2 - The Smell of Fear, etc

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/153/855755~Naked-Gun-33-1-3-The-Final-Insult.jpg

When I see his face & his actions... :haha: just makes me happy.....

Foot_Fault
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy..
Just watched it for the first time about 2 weeks ago...LOVED IT! TOO TOO TOO FUNNY!

Steam
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:49 AM
My favorite movie is Good Will Hunting but if I could only watch one movie for the rest of my life it would be Old School.

kiwifan
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Its not my all time fave (that's the Godfather) but if I only have one movie to see before I go...

...Dazed and Confused would probably beat out Animal House and Fast Times At Ridgemont High as my final flick...

...hey you gotta go out with a big smile on your face :cool:

Denise4925
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:54 AM
Gone With The Wind.
Great cinematography, great acting, great comedy, great drama.

Denise4925
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:55 AM
There are so many, but the Godfather Trilogy is another and the Matrix.

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:44 AM
The Shawshank Redemption

Brooks.
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion.........cuz its the one movie that always makes me laugh ....and it always nice to watch it when i am feeling down

Tati & Dani
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:31 AM
The Shawshank Redemption

:worship: The best ever :yeah:

Star Wars
Die Hard

Portobello
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Kill Bill :hatoff:
Star Wars :cool:
Almost Famous :hearts:
The Professional :worship:
The Shawshank Redemption :yeah:

PamShriverRockz
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:44 AM
I couldn't decide between Psycho, Lost In Translation or The Talented Mr Ripley...in the end I choose - Ghostbusters!!

rand
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:36 AM
choose one?
"day of the dead" then...I have to watch this movie at least once a month or I become crazy.....
if I can take another one it would be Mile Leigh's "naked"
and a third one would be "fight club"
the fourth would be Akira Kurosawa's "the seven samurai"
and finally, if I could pick 5 I'd add "12 angry men"

Portobello
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:50 AM
actually I Cant Live Without Any Movie :speakles:

luv2act90210
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:11 PM
i have alot of favorite movies. i like::
Finding Neverland :worship: :bounce: :sad: :angel: :hearts:
The Phantom of the Opera :bounce: :worship:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory :worship:
Lord of the Rings
The Patriot :sad:
Gladiator
Star Wars
Harry Potter
Mean Girls :worship:
The Notebook :bounce:
....ah just gotta love them all!! :hearts:
American Physco was pretty good to, i just saw it the other day...it was really WEIRD though!! like really weird!!! but it was interesting... :eek:

alfajeffster
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:44 PM
The Silence of the Lambs. I've watched it on tape at least 75-80 times, and each time it comes on TV and I surf past it, I always stop and get into it. Anthony Hopkins is one of my all-time favorite actors, and this film is about as close to flawless as they come- great script, outstanding performances, and even the animals in the film (a cat and a dog) steal their scenes.

JustBeingMyself
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Valley Of The Dolls.

You need to ask? ;):)

Epigone
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM
An American in Paris

Watching it makes me feel like I don't have a care in the world :)

Barrie_Dude
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:39 PM
The Godfather 1 and 2! The story of life, family and just everything! Brillant!

Helen Lawson
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:44 PM
I like a lot of really bad movies for various reasons, so this is hard to say. White Oleander always puts me in a really good mood. I've watched myself croak in the gas chamber enough times so that I can just replay it in my mind. I mean, I did the part and can still remember the lines and stuff so I can put a show on for myself if I miss it.

Pamela Shriver
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I cannot live without On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I have it on a continuous loop.

marmite1
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I would have to say my top five movies are: a league of their own, the goonies :worship:, Erin Brockovich, Mona Lisa Smile and Girl Interrupted. I think my favourite out of all of them is A league of their own. Great performances from Geena Davis and Lori Petty ;)

roxi
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:11 PM
I would have to say my top five movies are: a league of their own, the goonies :worship:, Erin Brockovich, Mona Lisa Smile and Girl Interrupted. I think my favourite out of all of them is A league of their own. Great performances from Geena Davis and Lori Petty ;)
the goonies :worship: :worship: :worship:

roxi
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Girl interrupted great movie!!!!!
A league of their own is that when they play baseball and Geena was the best player and her sister was good too!!!!

marmite1
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Indeed. They are two great movies. In Girl Interrupted i thought that Angelina was good, but i think Winona also did a great performance (and tends to get overlooked when discussing the film).

roxi
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Well I've cried on both of them!!!!!!